Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today I tried... (June 2008)

Not to be confused with "Today I Bought... (June 2008)."

Today I tried:

Bahiana - MPG

Wow, am I glad I didn't buy this blind. I thought it might be closer to Virgin Island Water because everyone described it as fruity, etc. I got a decant from the Perfumed Court and my first reaction was:

Bubble gum? Bubble gum with musk?

It is . . . strange. I'm not sure if I like it. I definitely won't be buying a bottle. It only lasted about an hour on my wrist, and when I tried to wear it I got the same results (which is strange for me). So maybe my wife can wear it, but I doubt she'll like it.

So I have a nearly full 5mL decant that I probably won't ever use.

Default Re: Today I tried... (June 2008)

I tried Sandalwood by Taylors of Bond Street today.

It's absolutely fantastic and will be buying some next time I'm in London. I can recommend this to my fellow basenoters - providing you like Sandalwood beautifully executed that is.

Guerlain Vetiver (Vintage) and 2000 edition. Can anyone compare 2000 edition with the newest 2008 version? I'm cautious to buy since I heard that the 2008 is rather weak compared to the older formulations, and really, if it's any weaker, I don't want to spend the money!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bel Respiro and 28 La Pausa from the Chanel Exclusifs line at the Chanel boutique here in San Francisco. At first, I preferred the 28 La Pausa for the beautiful layered iris notes, but after a while, getting to the last drydown, I find Bel Respiro more satisfying. I didn't buy either one, but I'm leaning toward purchasing Bel Respiro. 28 La Pausa is indeed beautiful, but doesn't seem to linger quite enough, and the very last drydown is pretty flat and disappointing on my skin.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Parfum d'Empire - Fougère Bengale

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like this thread idea! Not full reviews; just initial impressions. Or maybe I never saw it before?

I did a second sampling of Fou d'Absinthe (decanted from a spray bottle at Barney's). On me, it seems strangely linear. It opens with a chilly, clean, white note. In the drydown, it warms up somewhat but the scent doesn't change dramatically. It smells like my grandma's basement on laundry day (over 30 years ago, before she got an actual electric washing machine). A smell and association that are very nice for me. There's a hint of the spice in it, but just barely, that keeps it from being boring. I don't get any notes of alcohol. Which is just fine. If I wanted to smell like booze, a 2oz. bottle of brandy would do that.

I appreciated Fou d'Absinthe more on the second wearing compared to the first. Still on the fence about it's bottle-worthiness.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I like this thread idea! Not full reviews; just initial impressions. Or maybe I never saw it before?

I did a second sampling of Fou d'Absinthe (decanted from a spray bottle at Barney's). On me, it seems strangely linear. It opens with a chilly, clean, white note. In the drydown, it warms up somewhat but the scent doesn't change dramatically. It smells like my grandma's basement on laundry day (over 30 years ago, before she got an actual electric washing machine). A smell and association that are very nice for me. There's a hint of the spice in it, but just barely, that keeps it from being boring. I don't get any notes of alcohol. Which is just fine. If I wanted to smell like booze, a 2oz. bottle of brandy would do that.

I appreciated Fou d'Absinthe more on the second wearing compared to the first. Still on the fence about it's bottle-worthiness.
    I like Fou... it's an interesting fragrance - somewhat different from many others. I don't wear it often, but enjoy it when I do. The other "absinthe" fragrance that I have is Nasomatto Absinth. So totally different from Fou. I think the only problem I have with Fou is that "laundry" smell that does show up - but it's actually what I thought the booze smell was! (or is it that I spilled booze on my clothes and just remembering that smell in the wash room?! )... but it's not such a bad thing... still it does keep me from wearing it as often as I would.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Nasomatto - China White

Phew!!! Not for me I am afraid. Very feminine to my nose and cloying. I put one small dab on the inside of my wrist and had to wash it off....powerful but not something I want to wear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Not to be confused with "Today I Bought... (June 2008)."

Today I tried:

Bahiana - MPG

Wow, am I glad I didn't buy this blind. I thought it might be closer to Virgin Island Water because everyone described it as fruity, etc. I got a decant from the Perfumed Court and my first reaction was:

Bubble gum? Bubble gum with musk?
    Is it a bubble gum like gaultier 2?

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Hardy - Man. I like it but I don't think it's worth a purchase. Stays close to the skin.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Post Thanks / Like

Lagerfeld Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Absolutely! Great idea. Nice for noobs like me, too.

My wife and I tried three samples of "pink-package" feminines that we got at Saks yesterday.

Kelly Calèche (Hermès) - I like this more than my wife does. The package characterized it as florals witha caress of leather. My wife doesn't like the leather excursion, but I do. She got the mimosa, but I couldn't get the iris. I like the topnotes (sweet). Smells better on my skin than hers. Dries down to something I could wear if I kept it mild.

Narciso Rodriguez For Her - We both like this. We both think it's more of an evening scent. Just a beautiful floral. Definitely more my wife's style, it's more conventional than Kelly C. Stays nice and feminine into the dry-down, with a powery/floral thing that keeps on going strong. This is definitely on the gift list.

Rumeur 2 Rose (Lanvin) - My wife really likes this for a daily work scent. Opens with a citrus blast, moves into floral territory, and ends up in tantalizing but edgy stuff - indoles, maybe? Definitely some stuff that's not in the other two. I don't think I like this scent as much as the other two. This is the most "evolving" scent of the three, Kelly next, and Narciso last.

I can really recommend doing a sample party like this with the lady. Not only did I get great gift ideas - I get to discover some feminines that work for me (both on me and on her).

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Acqua Di Parma's Colonia Assoluta and Czech & Speake's No. 88. AdP was alright, I liked it better than the original. I'm not really a huge fan of the opening, but this drydown I'm experiencing right now is pretty nice. It'll warrant a 2nd sniff. No. 88 smell fantastic, this is what I expected out of Black Aoud when I sampled that. I'll have to try them both at the same time to get a comparison, and maybe I just need to acclimate my nose to aoud, but it did not sit well the first time. No. 88 has a dark, spicy rose smell on me that I'm loving so far. This could definitely be bottle worthy.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    I tried Acqua Di Parma's Colonia Assoluta and Czech & Speake's No. 88. AdP was alright, I liked it better than the original. I'm not really a huge fan of the opening, but this drydown I'm experiencing right now is pretty nice. It'll warrant a 2nd sniff. No. 88 smell fantastic, this is what I expected out of Black Aoud when I sampled that. I'll have to try them both at the same time to get a comparison, and maybe I just need to acclimate my nose to aoud, but it did not sit well the first time. No. 88 has a dark, spicy rose smell on me that I'm loving so far. This could definitely be bottle worthy.

Get back with me on this, or maybe someone can post about this or PM me. I did a test this morning of the Colonia and the Assoluta. I wore a full wearing of the Colonia yesterday and it lasted about 4 hours. This morning is a full wearing of the Assoluta. I did spray some Assoluta on the back of one hand and some Colonia on the back of the other. After one hour, the Assoluta is definitely stronger, or more intense, and projects more. Started off soapier than the Colonia. I prefer the initial notes in the Colonia but gosh, so fleeting. By this hour, the smell is diminished by 50%.

I have heard that the 88 is soapy, but I would love to know between the Assoluta and 88, how they compare, and longevity and projection as well. I believe that I may get one or the other for my kicking around, middle of summer or Saturday morning all year scent.

I have not smelled the C&S 88 so this is why I ask
    Last edited by finsfan; 12th June 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Within the last 24 hours: I found a sample in the washing machine full a fragrance but without its identifying tag. I tried it on thinking I would surely remember what it was. Nope. And it was really nice I thought! Light and airy! I needed to find out what it was!. Desperately, I dabbed it on a slip of paper thinking I'd get a purer image of the scent. I finally figured it out by process of elimination - and because I had another sample with which to check it with: L'Artisan Parfumeur The Pour Un Ete Very nice I thought. Don't ask me what it was doing in the washing machine!

I tried a decant of Les Barbier des Iles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique - I love it. It's like a coarser and less refined Sandringham (by Crown Perfumery). Very nice, warm and spicy.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I got my decant of:

L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer

I sprayed it last night and didn't really know what to expect, and I wasn't sure if I liked it, but I was very busy and doing a lot of things so I didn't give it a fair sniffing.

This morning, I'm wrist testing it, and man - this thing is a sillage monster on me! The best part is, it's not heavy in-your-face sillage, it's just the right amount. I sprayed it at 5 AM, and now it's nearly 12:30 and I'm still getting strong sillage.

As for the scent - I like it, especially the drydown - it's decidedly masculine, but not overly so. I tend to shy away from "Dad" scents like Azzaro pour Homme, so very few woodsy impress me. As a matter of fact, there are currently only two that I feel that I would enjoy wearing (perhaps because of the sweetness in front of the woody-spice). They are, Polo Safari and:

L'Air Du Desert Marocain

It will take a wearing or two to decide if I want a bottle, but so far I think it's on my short list of scents to acquire.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Iris Bleu Gris by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (from a sample)

So far I am really liking it - the iris notes are awesome! (but I like iris). I need to give it a little more time and wearings to determine if I want to get a bottle - but my initial thought is I probably will.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm today I tried:

Burberry brit
    Xtsy by ( I dont know, its something like masene) Can't seem to find this one on the net.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did a second sampling of L'Artisan Timbuktu. It's pleasant enough, but my nose picks up a lot of geranium. I was talking with the L'Artisan manager at Barney's today. She said that applications from the vial can have a different effect from the spray (a belief that I also share given the difference I notice between sample vials and the bottle), and she gave a spritz on my arm. To her, a lot of smokiness came across over the half-hour or so I was there. Still, it came across as mainly geranium to me. Which was surprising to her as "Timbuktu has no geranium in it".

Occasional notes of pepper and spice and a fleeting green do come across in the middle and the papyrus is there in the base, but the overall effect seems to be primarily geranium to me.

It's a pleasant but not a wow scent. At least for the moment.
    Brent

THIS WEEK I tried:
    Blenheim Bouquet (uhm, yes, Hammam Bouquet counterpart), Lux, Villoresi Garofano (mmm¿like Floris Malmaison?), Villoresi Uomo (it seems like a vetiver basenote, so I prefer Floris vetiver), Rose d'Homme and Twill Rose (both are charming, and when I worn TR the travel agency lady told me that I smelled very nice), Molecule 01 (a very intelectual thing but I prefer something that I can smell it!!), Santa Maria Novella Lavanda Imperiale (I get a cinnamon note after 3 hours), Acqua di Colonia Santa Maria Novella (it´s just a fragance sigh!!!) and Voleur de Roses....

Great scents, well done, but only one caught me at first smelling and during the week... you know, when one keep the sample on the desk and while working frequently open and reopen to enjoy it. The first step is a sensual experience, then an intelectual thing begins (why I like this?) and finally just to fell in love (loosing the intelectual thing) ahh, but certainly comes the last part: THE POSSESSION...

I WANT VOLEUR DE ROSES!!!

I tried Bulgari Black. I hated it initially. I thought it smelt like new car seats and beauticians wax. Eventually it dried down to a lovely warm, yet dark and mysterious scent with vanilla, leather and a wonderful hint of tea. It doesn't develop much - but when it does change slightly it'll be worth it.

Not enough to make me want to buy a whole bottle, but nice enough for me to wear every now and then. I'll enjoy this decant
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Four Tom Ford Private Blends at Saks in San Francisco: Oud Wood, Bois Rouge, Noir de Noir, and Tuscan Leather. I think of the four, I liked Bois Rouge best. Check the "Today I bought" thread to see which one I got. (Not the one you think!)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Today I tried :

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules : Fizzy Lemon and Cedar... that's all I get from this, nothing groundbreaking, it lasts for a very long time tho.. 6+ hours on my skin.

Hermes Elixir des Merveilles : In the top notes smells exactly like chocolate flavored "burfi" .. which is a Indian delicacy made entirely from milk fats and milk products. It is sickly sweet (on my skin) until the drydown where it becomes a little tolerable. This was my 2nd sampling of this.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried L'Artisans L'Ete en Douce. I don't find it very interesting, kinda generic aqua marine fragrance. A surprise from this house but not a very good surprise. Not FBW IMO
    Also tried Miller Harris' Coeur D'Ete from a generous sample. Plenty of this for me. Sweeter than what I usually wear, should make vanilla lovers happy but I'm a horrible judge of that aspect, as my kind really cranks up even the tiniest bit of vanilla. So, don't use me as an example. I'll use this up through the summer.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

L'Air du Desert Marocain - from a sample from Luckyscent

I am loving it! I am probably going to have to get me some
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th June 2008 at 01:45 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Sauvage (again) - I like it but can decide if i want a bottle. So many others to try first

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe - I didn't get any mint and it otherwise smelled like generic men's cologne. I liked it but not enough to get a bottle

Prada Ambre pour Homme - Reminded me of grape cool aid at first. Not bad but probably not going to get a bottle

Post Thanks / Like

I was at a Nordstroms today - not a usual occurrence as it is 100+ miles from my home. I love that happily decant for you. It is very difficult not to take advantage and walk away with 20 items, especially because it was so busy. I got samples of
    Allure Edition Blanche,
    Hanai Mori,
    Egoiste Platinum, and
    Tom Ford.
    I purchased the TM AMen Pure Coffee. I was skeptical at first but it was love at first schniff. I'll probably review it here soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Noire

1st impression, hell no. Spice and liquor mixed together
    Then in 5 minutes, I swear it smells like I spilled Mrs. Buttersworth or some other maple syrup on me.

1828 by Histoires de Perfumes

It is ok

1740 by Histories de Perfumes

a bit powdery but no too much and that prune, well, interesting is all I can say. Makes me want to sample something figgy, or mango. Anyone up for a swap of samples?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain yesterday.

A classic Guerlain (this fragrance was created in the early 1900's), that apparently features a prominent heliotrope note. Never having actually isolated the smell of heliptrope, on my skin it smelled like powder, with a slight cherry edge - and almonds. I know what you're thinking...PlayDoh right? But actually Imagine Cologne Blache by Dior, done in a parfum strength. This is the kind of scent I'm going to have to re-try a few times to wrap my head around it.

Thanks sofresh, for the sample.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th June 2008 at 07:29 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In preparation for the SSD on June 18, I tried Chanel Allure Pour Homme Sport. The "Allure" part of the name is right. As in Allure-id Tale Too Oft Told.

This frag is a male hooker named Denny (originally from Nebraska) who looks good enough in dim bar light. He reeks of peach schnapps and Krakatoa Kretek clove cigarettes. He's amusing enough in a naive "look at me I'm different - but he's not really" kind of way; too much Denny will give you a raging headache and indigestion. Fortunately, very shortly after parting ways, the headache and the indigestion clear up.

The best thing I can say about this frag is that it only took three washings (with an alcohol scrub in the middle) to get rid of it.
    Brent

Post Thanks / Like

Sample of Lutens Ambre Sultan

Okay, so who bottled Playdo?

Also tried Jo Malone Pomagranate Noir
    At first, Vicks Vapor Rub, but no, it starts to subside but goes creamier but without being a vanilla or honeyed sort of creamy. Smooth. Gets nicer. Maybe not a purchase I make for me, but if I got it from someone, not something you re-gift

Montale Golden Oud

Quality fragrance, but needs further testing before i can reach a verdict...
    Last edited by knightowl; 18th June 2008 at 08:10 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Diptyque Eau de Néroli. Very nice, great beeswax in the base makes it "stick."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Hombres de Flores: Narcissus by Fresh - thanks bront 82. A discontinued floral for men that has a ghostly, almost veiled top note that's quickly followed by a humid floral (almost sticky wet) note that sounds gross but is quite enchanting. I need to sample more of this...

Strange, there is not one single review of it in the BN directory??

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums des Rosine

Roses and...salty sea spray sand flowers. Weird, huh...but it works. I can't imagine reaching for a fragrance like this all of the time, but the concept works.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Today I tried almost the entire Tom Ford Private Blend line. Im very surprised that my nose didn't give out

I really liked a few of them Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Bois Rouge and Oud Wood, Noir de Noir.

I'm on the fence with Moss Breches, Amber Absolute, Velvet Gardinia, Black Violet.

I didnt sniff Neroli portofino, Purple Patchouli since I read that NP is basically 4711 and that PP is just weird. I didn't need to confuse my nose any more than necessary.

So far my favorite is Japon Noir (which i already own) but I ended up buying TV and AA

The Bond SA actually helped me since the TF SA was gone for the day. She was very patient and I'd go back to her if I ever find a Bond that I like. She actually gave me 18 samples so I have lots to smell in the coming days

Unfortunately I wasn't able to score any TF samples though I'll have to go back when the TF SA is there.

Elternhaus MoslBuddJewChristHinDao - It had some similarities to CDG 3 (same perfumer) but with a dirty earthiness, sort of like Terre d'Hermes. For $300 per 50ml, I'd just grab CDG 3 instead.

SL Iris Silver Mist - Nothing odd about this one. It just smelled like freshly made carrot juice. The ones you can buy at those health drink bars, something like 12 dollars, and it takes 12 carrots to blend to make one glass. Didn't like it.

S-Perfume S-ex - One part reminded me of SMN Nostalgia with that fume, brand new tire smell or plastic. A bit odd but nothing exciting.

JAR Shadow - It smells like nothing from what I was expecting. It you are looking for a REALLY hot and spicy scent. Get this. I'm not sure even if I got the right sample. It doesn't smell like a shadow. The topnotes is like biting into a jalapeno pepper and then it's a pure clove/carnation scent.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 27th June 2008 at 08:49 AM.

I've been gifted by a very nice perfume shop owner with samples of all the Parfum d'Empire scents, so this week I tried:
    - Fougère Bengale: probably the most interesting, lavander and terragon over an indolic honeyed base. Classic but definitely with an edge.
    - Cuir Ottoman: nice true leather start but then on my skin it turns out with a fluffy leather a bit too sweet and ambery, more sweet dust than leather in the end.
    - Equistrius: classically blended, it's a high quality iris scent, very longlasting and interesting with resins in the base.
    - Iskander: very good lemon scent, classically blended and surprisingly longlasting to be a citrus juice.

Sidenote: aside for Fougère bengale where I can see the connection with the victorian colonial donimation, tiger hunting etc, for the other scents I don't get much the connection respectively with ottoman and roman empire or with the ancient greece.
    Nevertheless the scents are classic, featuring high quality raw materials and all quite longlasting.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ta'if Roses by Montale

I expected something like A.maze by POTL, but instead I got kind of a Bulgarian rose accord, perhaps sweeter than...say, Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella - with just a breath of that Montale base (the one that shows up in Black Aoud after about 12 hours). Nice, but honestly, I expected it to have more punch than it did. Maybe it's the heat (it's extremely sunny & hot today), or maybe it's the scent. Perhaps not all Montale's have to be powerhouse fragrances, I suppose.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eau d'Hadrien - great citrus and green start that quickly turns into a muddled, muddy mess on me.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien - hairspray, patchouli, and a blue hair rinse at the local hair salon.

I was surprisingly and sadly disappointed in these two Goutals. They're definitely in my preferred family of frags, but it appears they don't do well on my skin.
    Brent