Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today I tried... (June 2008)

In preparation for the SSD on June 18, I tried Chanel Allure Pour Homme Sport. The "Allure" part of the name is right. As in Allure-id Tale Too Oft Told.

This frag is a male hooker named Denny (originally from Nebraska) who looks good enough in dim bar light. He reeks of peach schnapps and Krakatoa Kretek clove cigarettes. He's amusing enough in a naive "look at me I'm different - but he's not really" kind of way; too much Denny will give you a raging headache and indigestion. Fortunately, very shortly after parting ways, the headache and the indigestion clear up.

The best thing I can say about this frag is that it only took three washings (with an alcohol scrub in the middle) to get rid of it.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Sample of Lutens Ambre Sultan

Okay, so who bottled Playdo?

Also tried Jo Malone Pomagranate Noir
    At first, Vicks Vapor Rub, but no, it starts to subside but goes creamier but without being a vanilla or honeyed sort of creamy. Smooth. Gets nicer. Maybe not a purchase I make for me, but if I got it from someone, not something you re-gift

Montale Golden Oud

Quality fragrance, but needs further testing before i can reach a verdict...
    Last edited by knightowl; 18th June 2008 at 08:10 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Diptyque Eau de Néroli. Very nice, great beeswax in the base makes it "stick."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Hombres de Flores: Narcissus by Fresh - thanks bront 82. A discontinued floral for men that has a ghostly, almost veiled top note that's quickly followed by a humid floral (almost sticky wet) note that sounds gross but is quite enchanting. I need to sample more of this...

Strange, there is not one single review of it in the BN directory??
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums des Rosine

Roses and...salty sea spray sand flowers. Weird, huh...but it works. I can't imagine reaching for a fragrance like this all of the time, but the concept works.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Today I tried almost the entire Tom Ford Private Blend line. Im very surprised that my nose didn't give out

I really liked a few of them Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Bois Rouge and Oud Wood, Noir de Noir.

I'm on the fence with Moss Breches, Amber Absolute, Velvet Gardinia, Black Violet.

I didnt sniff Neroli portofino, Purple Patchouli since I read that NP is basically 4711 and that PP is just weird. I didn't need to confuse my nose any more than necessary.

So far my favorite is Japon Noir (which i already own) but I ended up buying TV and AA

The Bond SA actually helped me since the TF SA was gone for the day. She was very patient and I'd go back to her if I ever find a Bond that I like. She actually gave me 18 samples so I have lots to smell in the coming days

Unfortunately I wasn't able to score any TF samples though I'll have to go back when the TF SA is there.

Elternhaus MoslBuddJewChristHinDao - It had some similarities to CDG 3 (same perfumer) but with a dirty earthiness, sort of like Terre d'Hermes. For $300 per 50ml, I'd just grab CDG 3 instead.

SL Iris Silver Mist - Nothing odd about this one. It just smelled like freshly made carrot juice. The ones you can buy at those health drink bars, something like 12 dollars, and it takes 12 carrots to blend to make one glass. Didn't like it.

S-Perfume S-ex - One part reminded me of SMN Nostalgia with that fume, brand new tire smell or plastic. A bit odd but nothing exciting.

JAR Shadow - It smells like nothing from what I was expecting. It you are looking for a REALLY hot and spicy scent. Get this. I'm not sure even if I got the right sample. It doesn't smell like a shadow. The topnotes is like biting into a jalapeno pepper and then it's a pure clove/carnation scent.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 27th June 2008 at 08:49 AM.

I've been gifted by a very nice perfume shop owner with samples of all the Parfum d'Empire scents, so this week I tried:
    - Fougère Bengale: probably the most interesting, lavander and terragon over an indolic honeyed base. Classic but definitely with an edge.
    - Cuir Ottoman: nice true leather start but then on my skin it turns out with a fluffy leather a bit too sweet and ambery, more sweet dust than leather in the end.
    - Equistrius: classically blended, it's a high quality iris scent, very longlasting and interesting with resins in the base.
    - Iskander: very good lemon scent, classically blended and surprisingly longlasting to be a citrus juice.

Sidenote: aside for Fougère bengale where I can see the connection with the victorian colonial donimation, tiger hunting etc, for the other scents I don't get much the connection respectively with ottoman and roman empire or with the ancient greece.
    Nevertheless the scents are classic, featuring high quality raw materials and all quite longlasting.

Basenotes Institution

Ta'if Roses by Montale

I expected something like A.maze by POTL, but instead I got kind of a Bulgarian rose accord, perhaps sweeter than...say, Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella - with just a breath of that Montale base (the one that shows up in Black Aoud after about 12 hours). Nice, but honestly, I expected it to have more punch than it did. Maybe it's the heat (it's extremely sunny & hot today), or maybe it's the scent. Perhaps not all Montale's have to be powerhouse fragrances, I suppose.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Eau d'Hadrien - great citrus and green start that quickly turns into a muddled, muddy mess on me.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien - hairspray, patchouli, and a blue hair rinse at the local hair salon.

I was surprisingly and sadly disappointed in these two Goutals. They're definitely in my preferred family of frags, but it appears they don't do well on my skin.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."