Code of Conduct

Default Des Sens & Bois - A Review

I must say this is one of the smoothest scents I've ever smelled, Des Sens & Bois by The Different Company. In my head this projects the mental imagery of a soft white Bentley Continental GT driven by a very successful entrepreneur, the CEO of his own company. All I see is white, white and more white... guess you can say "pure". What does the name "Des Sens & Bois" mean anyway? Ok, on to the scent...

It's pure brilliance, sheer class... right out of the bottle it engulfs your senses with one of the classiest openings ever experienced in a scent, this is no sillage monster mind you.. It's a seductive caress to your senses instead. The aroma of exotic smoked cedarwood enveloped in a spicy but subdued Ginger wafts to your noistrils... it put a grin to my face. In less than three minutes I could smell the precious Incense penetrating the air surrounding me, the Ginger getting spicier at this point with the violets now peeking up amidst other spices.

The fragrance gets smokier as time passes with the incense, smoke and the violets dominating well into the drydown. The smoke however is again "white" and light.. rather than "black" and dark/brooding, hope you guys get my point. The way the incense blends with this "white smoke" and the mild spices is the highlight of this fragrance, I've never smelled anything so uplifting and emotion altering before. This is definitely a skin scent, like a white ghost it haunts me!

My Rating : 5 out of 5 stars!
    Longevity : A little over 4 hours on me.

Finally, this review is based on how the fragrance worked on *my* skin and how *I* see it, YMMV. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it
    Last edited by Amit; 11th June 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: Des Sens & Bois - A Review

It means, roughly, a perfume of the sense(s) and wood.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It means, roughly, a perfume of the sense(s) and wood.
    Thanks! There couldn't be a more appropriate name for this frag, for the senses it is!

You make it sound so yummy. I'm off to get a sample.

^ You won't be disappointed

Basenotes Institution

How would you compare the 'white smoke' note to 2 Man by Comme des Garcons?

Is this a new scent from TDC - I've never heard of it??
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Got a sample of this just yesterday, haven't worn it yet, though. Javagreen, you've inspired me to do so tomorrow, for sure.

MikePerez23: I have not smelled 2 Man so I wouldn't be able to compare them Also, yes, I believe this is a new release.

Strifeknot: Please let us know your impressions after you wear it!

Great review Javagreen!

Mike - the full name is Un Parfum des Sens et Bois (from the garden series). I don't find it has anything in common with CDG 2 Man. It's nice, but was my least favourite from the trio. I found it to be a synthetic quasi-incense & wood combo. Miles away from bad, but not my thing.

Blog Entries

Thank goodness - I'm not nuts (well, that's actually a different question...)

I love this scent, too. Absolutely - a super-refined and classy scent. I feel guilty wearing it without a tie. It's amazing that we were getting exactly the same image! I was imagining a CEO in a skyscraper with a huge desk constructed of the finest wood. I was sneaking into his office and sitting in his chair, hoping not to get it dirty. The wood scent is so fine, so perfect, it just amazed me. The white smoky image is exactly right. I simply coudn't understand why this wasn't one of the most popular and well-known scents in their lineup. Maybe it fell through the cracks between masculine and feminine marketing - I don't know. All I do know is that I agree with your five stars. I've been debating which bottle to get from TDC - they have so many good ones. But this is my leading contender.

I get better longevity on my skin - maybe 8 hours or more, but under moderate temperatures. I haven't tried it in the current heat here.

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks Sofresh!

Redneck Perfumisto .... it's amazing how scents can create mental imagery, isn't it? I'm glad you love this scent as much as I do!

My imagery is more serene - lithe bodies in white clothing practicing yoga in a temple buried in a remote region of the world. There is a light incense burning along with the scent of champaka flowers being carried through the open windows on a light breeze.

Absolutely a five star scent IMO!I'm curious though, do you find it more feminine than masculine?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th December 2008 at 11:13 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    My imagery is more serene - lithe bodies in white clothing practicing yoga in a temple buried in a remote region of the world. There is a light incense burning along with the scent of champaka flowers being carried through the open windows on a light breeze.

Absolutely a five star scent IMO!I'm curious though, do you find it more feminine than masculine?
    I think what's more interesting is that both of our mental projections are in "white"

I don't find it particularly feminine... unisex, easily though!

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    ...I don't find it particularly feminine... unisex, easily though!
    Just chiming in, as I'm also a big fan of this one. I think it's as perfectly unisex as they come!

damn... I friggin adore incense but have never thought of it as being "white"... i've gotta get my nose in this
    At your service

OK - intrigued now. This (and Osmanthus for some unknown reason as I'm sure it would do well in Asia) is the one from TDC that local stockist does not carry and sounds like it could work for me. Thanks for all above . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th May 2009 at 07:24 AM.