Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Default Re: Which fragrance are you ashamed to love?

ok, i see the point several people have made about not being ashamed, wearing what you like with pride etc. I just meant that there is a social stigma attached to many things we do, much of it related to commonplace consumer goods being seen as low-grade and therefore a signifier of poor taste within a social group where the item in question is a common interest - if i was part of a gourmet food society, i'd certainly call it 'shameful' to profess my (quite real) love for mcdonalds cheeseburgers! (admittedly macdonalds food actually is horribly low-grade, but i hope you see my point)

perhaps this post should actually be a discussion titled 'which commonly disliked fragrances do you personally really enjoy?'

i've actually started a personal quest to wear all of the hugely popular scents which i've never tried due to this common distaste for them. the ever-popular le male, once a favourite, now induces slight nausea - perhaps tomorrow i'll try cool water. i've never been inspired by it on others, maybe i'll feel different wearing it. or maybe i'll revisit Hugo.........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    ok, i see the point several people have made about not being ashamed, wearing what you like with pride etc. I just meant that there is a social stigma attached to many things we do, much of it related to commonplace consumer goods being seen as low-grade and therefore a signifier of poor taste within a social group where the item in question is a common interest - if i was part of a gourmet food society, i'd certainly call it 'shameful' to profess my (quite real) love for mcdonalds cheeseburgers! (admittedly macdonalds food actually is horribly low-grade, but i hope you see my point)

perhaps this post should actually be a discussion titled 'which commonly disliked fragrances do you personally really enjoy?'

i've actually started a personal quest to wear all of the hugely popular scents which i've never tried due to this common distaste for them. the ever-popular le male, once a favourite, now induces slight nausea - perhaps tomorrow i'll try cool water. i've never been inspired by it on others, maybe i'll feel different wearing it. or maybe i'll revisit Hugo.........
    So you're asking which scent is our guilty pleasure? I felt the same about Le Male too. It was the first bottle I ever bought. Wore it all the time for a couple weeks. I got carried away with the sprays and it ended up traumatizing me. Whenever I smell the sprayer of Le Male at a store, it's an automatic "yuck". I used to really love this stuff.

Paris Hilton for men. Its fresh and fruity and last a long time.

English Leather is ancient history......but I do love it. The fact that is is sooooo old makes me laugh, because people always comment when I am wearing it. With todays synthetics, EL is so old that people don't know what it is. I have many designer frags but I will wear EL on a night out on the town with my wife. Everyone tells me how good I smell, too.

THE SPICE!!!! I'm not really ashamed though. I keep it on the mantle in my bathroom. I wear it like once every 3 months but yap about it a lot. I tell people how every TRUE man needs a bottle of Old Spice. It puts hair on your chest and length in the nether regions with each splash (guess I should wear it more huh?).

DO NOT DENY THE SPICE!

Cheers,
    Al

I am amazed that people mostly name cheap or common fragrances as the shameful ones. Is it not also shameful to love a very expensive perfume just because of its marketing and not because it is necessarily *good*?

I actually love to find "cheap thrills", and have a slew of drugstore and Avon scents, all of which are very cheap, and many of which are very enjoyable, either on skin or as air spray, etc.

If I have any shame at all, it is the shame of considering a $600 bottle of MDCI. :P
    Last edited by Asha; 15th June 2008 at 02:45 AM.

I really like Giorgio Armani fragrances, i like just about all of them but i only own Acqua Di Gio and Code, wouldnt mind getting "Attitude" too, dont know I just find them nice fragrances and there popular with the ladies
    Last edited by holdenguy; 15th June 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Hugo Boss often gets spit on around here, but i find Selection a very good fragrance.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Fracas for Men. Nearly everyone hates it. I feel fresh, clean, and vigorous when I wear it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

For me it's Polo original and Drakkar Noir. I think both are fantastic scents, and just old enough for all of us to bring back as the new retro-cool thing. However, I don't wear them anymore (don't even own Polo) because I fear people would smell me walking down the street, recognize the scent, and think I'm so flat brained that I've been wearing them since the '80s and think I'm the suavest thing to hit the big city once they're on me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I love the smell of Brut deodorant. Not Brut. Brut deodorant.

The question was "ashamed to love," yes?

I like Canoe, the old Old Spice, and Aramis. They are all good in different contexts.

Oh, and I used to wear Brut every day, and that's even after trying some designer fragrances and discovering Basenotes.. It's not really a summer fragrance, though, as it can turn cloying in the heat.

Another one, Orange County Choppers Full Throttle Paul Sr. I like this one, not sure what it's suppossed to be based off. It really seems unique. It's orange, leather, musk, and black pepper. The smell is intense. The Jr. version, IMO, is a bit more sensuous and soft, not sure I like it as much. I've actually got a few bottles in a fridge I bought them on sale, I've got alot of frags in a fridge.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 19th June 2008 at 07:39 AM.

Le Male
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe