Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water? Which is a better scent?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Irish Tweed

136 73.51%
  • Cool Water

49 26.49%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water? Which is a better scent?

If this statement is true:
    mtgprox05
    "I agree that they both smell the same."

...then the following statement and comparison cannot be:
    But it's like comparing a Big Mac to a world class burger. Sure they both taste like burgers but one is clearly better.

If they smell the same, then your comparison should include two things that are reasonably equal. You compared a mass manufactured run of the mill burger (Big Mac)with a world class burger (I dunno about you, but I'm thinking Five Guys). And I still don't understand all the "synthetic" talk on these boards. I mean what the hell does that mean, really???

GIT in a silly mismatch....

the more expensive the frag the better it is right?

CW FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    If this statement is true:
    mtgprox05
    "I agree that they both smell the same."

...then the following statement and comparison cannot be:
    But it's like comparing a Big Mac to a world class burger. Sure they both taste like burgers but one is clearly better.

If they smell the same, then your comparison should include two things that are reasonably equal. You compared a mass manufactured run of the mill burger (Big Mac)with a world class burger (I dunno about you, but I'm thinking Five Guys). And I still don't understand all the "synthetic" talk on these boards. I mean what the hell does that mean, really???
    Why do they have to be comparatively equal? Isn't cool water a mass marketed scent in the same way that a Big Mac is? Let's make a slightly closer comparison then. A Chili's/Applebees/etc. burger vs. a Five Guys burger (I agree, so delicious!). One is mass produced, one is made from scratch on a smaller scale. One shows far higher quality the other does not. And as far as the synthetic talk goes, this is the easiest way that I can describe what I percieve to be synthetic vs natural. When I first started to like cologne about 3 years ago, my realm of smellies consisted of Macy's and that was it. But it was hard for me to pick out fragrances I liked because they all ended up smelling noxious, and making me feel ill, they were like chemical bombs. Niche perfumes, while certainly using synthetics, manage to do it, generally speaking, with greater finesse, mixing naturals and synthetics to create an overall balance better than cheaper quality fragrances. For example: take Unforgivable and Millesime Imperial. There is no denying that they smell similar if not at least in the same "realm". But one (Millesime Imperial), smells smooth, and refined, and like quality, while the other is harsher, and smells cheaper. I can't explain it any better than that unfortunately.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

mtgprox05: Why do they have to be comparatively equal?

Because YOU said they smell "the same." Don't worry about it though. At the end of the day, neither one of these fragrances is on my mind. Thanx to you though, I got Five Guys on the brain. I may get one of thier burgers this week. And the synthetic stuff still loses me...

GIT all the way
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Green Irish Tweed is longer lasting and better smelling.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Green irish tweed hands down, I will admit when I first got into fragrances I could not tell the difference but as my nose got better I can smell the differences especially the drydown

I wore it today and 12 hours later I am still smelling it, I love it!

People who can't tell the difference between GIT and CW, need to train their nose.

People who smell the difference, but also make a personal choice on whether GIT's premium price is worth the difference, are just making an informed decision.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 20th April 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

They are both nice to my nose but differences exist. If you like the genre you can't go wrong with either.

I'd recommend a horses for courses approach e.g. if you can afford the GIT premium, and are experienced enough to detect the better materials do it! You'll be enjoying the more refined product.

On the other hand if you're just starting off, a bit short on cash, but want something similar buy Coolwater, it really is pleasant enough if a bit common.

Both fragrances have their detractors (market saturation?); it would seem that Creed as a company has enough bashers in basenotes. IMHO they are both worthwhile, and in a sense an important step in this journey of exploration.
    Last edited by jathanas; 20th April 2009 at 02:00 AM.

I wonder: would the whiff be different between GIT and CW when someone walks by, who is wearing either of the two?

For the wearer it should be quite obvious, but for everybody else?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

Anyone who says they are identical is simply wrong. I will fight with you for the rest of my life about this if I have to. They ARE different.
    Now this is what I call passion !

I'm still not sure why these are even compared?

Any similarities between them is gone after about 20 or so minutes. And even those similarities are very superficial. All similarities are gone after that, at least on my skin.

There may be those that like CW better than GIT, and they're justified to feel that way, but hopefully because they like it on its own merits, not because it's a "cheaper GIT".

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I know this thread is really old and dead-horselike, but what the hell... everytime I smell Cool Water on someone, it smells really cheap to me. I never noticed this all that much until I became familiar with GIT. But now, I can barely stand Cool Water. One of my buddies is a Cool Water fanatic--I think one of these days I'm going to have to just break down and introduce him to GIT. Yes, there are some similarities in the smell of these two scents, but Cool Water is just thin and irritating to my nose.

I vote for CW since it lasts longer and it's 75% cheaper.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I have a new one to throw into the mix: MpG's Garrigue. IMO, it's an improvement on both!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have a new one to throw into the mix: MpG's Garrigue. IMO, it's an improvement on both!
    Thank god, I'm not the only one that likes this. I've sounded like a broken record on here for the last few weeks mentioning Garrigue. You're right it is better than both.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Oh.. we're still debating this?....lol....another vote for GIT.

I quite like CW but the ubiquitous presence of its flankers is quite disturbing. At least we don't get GIT Summer or GIT Deep or Frozen.

Green Irish Tweed>>>>>Truefitt Freshamn>Cool Water

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Thank god, I'm not the only one that likes this. I've sounded like a broken record on here for the last few weeks mentioning Garrigue. You're right it is better than both.
    I think Garrigue, while it has maybe a note or two similar to Aspen/GIT, has far more in common with Curve and Fierce. Once you get thru the bitter topnotes of Garrigue, it really is a very superior version of Curve/fierce.

Cool Water.

Well...let me put it this way. My husband has worn both. The only time women turned around and came after us to ask what he was wearing was when he wore Green Irish Tweed. Nuff said.

I don't like cool water so I suspect I wouldn't like GIT

Quote Originally Posted by Speed00kills View Post
    I don't like cool water so I suspect I wouldn't like GIT
    Please try it for your self.

CW is NOT a cheaper GIT substitute. There are some superficial similarities in them for about a half an hour, but the dry downs are completely different.

As I said earlier, there may be legitimate reasons for some to like CW more than GIT, but not because they think they're getting GIT for a third the price.

Don't let the comparisons on this thread sway you from testing GIT for yourself. You may be letting others prejudice you from something you may like.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

This issue will never be resolved. It's a matter of taste. For some they are alike for others they are like Durian fruit and Lotus flower. I can confidently say that I was a Cool Water wearer from the first our when it came out in the nineties. GIT on the other hand I discovered some 20 years later and it would never have occured to me, that they may have some similarities, until I joined this forum.

tested both and i like GIT. the way GIT smells towards mids - base is just wow..serene, dewy, green notes.. love it !
    Last edited by jenson; 1st May 2009 at 09:35 AM.