Code of Conduct

Thread: china white

Default china white

I sampled it today and it has a great opening, cause it's green with very light white florals and it's engaging but... eventually the bitter note comes out that I hate that also reveals itself in G-11, spiritus and land, and lots of other men's 80s scents, the unmistakable note I still don't know the name of but it's poison as far as I'm concerned.

Default Re: china white

Tested it yesterday and had very a bad experience. Very feminine and cloying to me. I appreciate it, but I don't think this can be unisex?

Did you wash it off quickly after applying? It really butches up within 20 minutes to be more of a man's than a woman's fragrance I think.

No...I let it go for a couple of hours. Hmmm...it just exploded on my skin and was very unpleasant. Just not my frag I guess. Oh well 2 out of 6 isn't bad from this line for me.

Basenotes Institution

Mr. Fairfax - is it powdery, to your nose? The Luckyscent description said it was, and this scared me off.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't know, it occurs to me now that that bitter note blinded me to everything else once I found it present...! so I couldn't say if it was "cloying" particularly. .. not markedly powdery that I recall... Angela declares it "gorgeous".

This is my favourite Nasomatto by far, I like it even more than the superb Absinth.
    It doesn't become cloying on my skin and I find it very unisex, even with a twist on the masculine side. After a floral-woody start another note comes in that is quite strange (and for me the best aspect of the fragrance) - like a combination of cannabis, flour and leather. I can imagine this is not everybody's cup if tea.
    Mike, I don't find it particularly powdery, although that special note adds a kind of texture - more jute than silk - to the whole fragrance that may feel slightly powdery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Tested it yesterday and had very a bad experience. Very feminine and cloying to me. I appreciate it, but I don't think this can be unisex?
    I'm wearing my sample for a second time today. I'm a huge Nasomatto fan, but China White is not for men. I really don't care to smell it on my Wife either. Can't win them all I guess.

still, there is the one note that should be easily recognized by a lot of folks as a staple of masculine fragrances, bitter and strange, but by no means uncommon in heavy masculine scents...

hopefully when more people test it they can help identify it!

I think I left out Cuiron is another fragrance that revels in this note/accord of masculine bitterness.
    Last edited by chasefairfax; 14th June 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    This is my favourite Nasomatto by far, I like it even more than the superb Absinth.
    It doesn't become cloying on my skin and I find it very unisex, even with a twist on the masculine side. After a floral-woody start another note comes in that is quite strange (and for me the best aspect of the fragrance) - like a combination of cannabis, flour and leather. I can imagine this is not everybody's cup if tea.
    Mike, I don't find it particularly powdery, although that special note adds a kind of texture - more jute than silk - to the whole fragrance that may feel slightly powdery.
    Thanks Gerald...it sounds very odd, which of course intrigues me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Bumping this thread.
    Has anyone tried China White recently? Mike?
    Nasamatto's stuff is wonderful, but I have not ordered a sample of this yet for some reason. Just the very mixed reviews I suppose. I do look forward to fall and winter when I can wear Duro again.

Anyone?

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

got a sample of this and there is a feminine note in it...my least favorite of the overpriced Nasomatto line so far...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    Bumping this thread.
    Has anyone tried China White recently? Mike?
    Haven't tried it yet Slim. So many fragrances, so little time...

-- Eckhart Tolle

I dug out my sample today...

It is a bit powdery, but that is not the sole attraction. To my nose, it is a woody fougere, and the sweetness from the powder balances it a little. However, on my skin, things really dry out, so I can imagine that this powder can take over on some people. On me, the sweetness does not last long at all, so the powder turns very dry and green (ie chypre).

Maybe the twist in this frag is that it has both fougere and chypre things going on. It is vaguely ammoniac to my nose (maybe that is the bitterness mentioned above). Whatever it is that smells like ammonia to me is in quite a few fougeres. I think it is a lavender note, one of the more bitter herbal ones, and maybe synthetic.

To sum up, it is dry on me, not cloying in the least. It is not feminine, either. It reminds me of Caron Pour un Homme with oakmoss. This is my second time sampling, and my second impression is definitely not as good as the first!

If the ammonia gets any more prominent, it will need to be scrubbed.

I tried it today from a sample for the second time too, Asha, and my impressions do not differ too much from yours. I had dismissed it quickly the first time as nothing remarkable.
    To my nose, it opens sweet and slightly powdery, but retains a dry sandy quality, like a not too sweetened meringue. The sweetness does not last much and quickly segues into a greenish, dry, leathery heart....I think there's isobutyl quinoline in there - reminds me of the leather note in Bandit .
    I also smell some woody incense in the drydown. Feminine? I wouldn't say so. Maybe those of you who perceived it as too feminine should wait for it to evolve? Either that, or I have a weird nose and/or weird chemistry.
    I plan to try it again, though. I have a feeling it may grow on me.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 1st September 2008 at 05:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

LIB, the fragrance didn't have great longevity, so I did get the base soon after I wrote my last post. The base is a little sweet, but not offensively so. It is a typical sweet amber/clean musk with a little bit of that dry "green" mixed in.

I'd say on the whole I didn't enjoy it very much. The ammonia scent did not get stronger, but it also didn't go away until the drydown. And the drydown was really nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    LIB, the fragrance didn't have great longevity, so I did get the base soon after I wrote my last post. The base is a little sweet, but not offensively so. It is a typical sweet amber/clean musk with a little bit of that dry "green" mixed in.

I'd say on the whole I didn't enjoy it very much. The ammonia scent did not get stronger, but it also didn't go away until the drydown. And the drydown was really nothing special.
    Thank you both for your impressions. How odd to include that ammonia note. It almost makes me want to order a sample, though I imagine it is an artifact of some other accord - lavender might be a good guess. It just does not sound like something I would enjoy. Which is strange, given Nasamatto's perfect record with me thus far. Duro, Absinth, and Hindu Grass are all wonderful on me.

I appreciate the thoughtful input.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Slim, I think I have mutant scent receptors, and that is why I smell ammonia in some fragrances. I can give a whole list--but typically they are fougeres (eg, Caron Pour un Homme). I can't even be anywhere near PuH as I get a sort of burning sensation inside my nose and sinuses. In the Nasamotto, this sensation was much more subdued than in PuH. I'd say, if you can't smell it in PuH, then you won't smell it in CW.