Code of Conduct

Default Do we smell what other smell?

I dont know if thats already answered but I'll ask, sorry if it was.

I know we cant smell our body odor. When you put perfume on, do you smell the perfum mixed with your body odor or just the perfum since you can't smell your body odor?

question made easier: do you smell on yourself what people smell?

One day I was wearing farenheit 32 and I said to my friend ''god I love that vanilla smell'' and she said that it didnt smell vanilla that much, and all I could smell was vanilla.
    Last edited by Tweker; 13th June 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Default Re: Do we smell what other smell?

I think it varies too much. For example, if you are outside, and there is a very slight breeze, that could make a huge difference (or if you are inside and the AC is blowing, creating a particular current).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think it varies too much. For example, if you are outside, and there is a very slight breeze, that could make a huge difference (or if you are inside and the AC is blowing, creating a particular current).
    well we were in the same room, took at sniff at my wrist and then asked her to smelll my wrist...

Part of the note identification problem could be the particular label in this case vanilla that you ascribe to the sensation of your nose...What is 'vanilla' to her might not be what 'vanilla' is to you...So the sensation you get and call vanilla, she might call something else.. You could test this by asking her to smell some real vanilla or some other frag which smells similar to farenheit 32 and ask her if she agrees they smell the same without recourse to labels.
    Last edited by Taz; 13th June 2008 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Part of the note identification problem could be the particular label in this case vanilla that you ascribe to the sensation of your nose...What is 'vanilla' to her might not be what 'vanilla' is to you...So the sensation you get and call vanilla, she might call something else.. You could test this by asking her to smell some real vanilla or some other frag which smells similar to farenheit 32 and ask her if she agrees they smell the same without recourse to labels.
    Yeah, that might be a point! I wish I had more farenheit to try it tho

We all interpret our senses very differently, so nope
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

There are at least two points in perceiving the world around us:
    -the first point is about sensorial perception. Everybody has his own senses, with different sensibilities. let's speak for example about sounds, someone can hear better certain frequences that someone cannot even hear. Same for colors: despite the visible spectrum is the same for everybody it's known that each one is more sensible to a certain range or another, same for taste and smell.
    -the second point is less physic but not less important, and it's about our mind interprets that basing on experience, memory, educational factors, etc... And again everybody has his different path, and different schemes to filter his perception and elaborate an idea of the perception.
    Being already these two steps so dramatically different for each one of us, makes for sure so difficult to have a totally common perception of the world, specially about things you cannot see (since our everyday's live is heavily based on visual perception of the reality and far less on other senses).

No...

this can be because of perception/interpretation as Magnifiscent put it.
    Or because notes project differently. At skin level you may smell vanilla, while at 3 feet all she can smell is orange blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    No...

this can be because of perception/interpretation as Magnifiscent put it.
    Or because notes project differently. At skin level you may smell vanilla, while at 3 feet all she can smell is orange blossom.
    I really wish I could smell myself, I really wonder whats the sillage I get when I wear a cologne and what I reallysmell like, I guess I'll never know....

Quote Originally Posted by Tweker View Post
    I really wish I could smell myself, I really wonder whats the sillage I get when I wear a cologne and what I reallysmell like, I guess I'll never know....
    Walk backwards and see what you get :P
    Always a good way too see if your wearing too much!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Walk backwards and see what you get :P
    Always a good way too see if your wearing too much!
    I love walking backward lol, but still I dont think it could help me find out if I wear too much