Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Has the U.S. economic downturn affected your perfume buying?

I'm curious about this... anybody buying less? Cutting down on the old discretionary spending? Buying fewer fragrances from Europe because of the declining value of the U.S. dollar against the Euro? Does anything so silly as economics factor into your purchasing decision-making process?

Default Re: Has the U.S. economic downturn affected your perfume buying?

Heh, since I'm European it's only made me buy more on eBay
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

The same..Canadian versus US dollar...Very encouraging to buy from US sellers.

Hasn't changed a thing for me.

Blog Entries

A little bit. Not so much the dollar vs. other currencies. But the new and improved price of gas in the U.S. is forcing me to take a hard look at the budget. Not even so much what I pay for gas but how it's affecting the cost for food. My food bill alone went up by nearly 30% compared to 6-8 weeks ago.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    A little bit. Not so much the dollar vs. other currencies. But the new and improved price of gas in the U.S. is forcing me to take a hard look at the budget. Not even so much what I pay for gas but how it's affecting the cost for food. My food bill alone went up by nearly 30% compared to 6-8 weeks ago.
    Ah, no more Sushi for you then. Save those $$ for Gasoline and Cologne (in no particular order)
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Nope, not at all.
    Then, I've never spent gobs of money on fragrance anyway. Nothing has really changed in my world. I'm single and live alone, so my grocery bill isn't huge, just a little more spendy. I use public transportation, for which I get a discounted pass through my employer (deducted from my check before taxes), so gas prices haven't hit me either.
    Only reason I'm on a tighter perfume budget now is because I'd like to buy a home, and because I decided that I should pay more attention to my (clothing) wardrobe.
    Anyway, the hunting period is over. I have some favorites, and feel no need to go buy the latest release, or even try it. Saves a lot of money.

Hasn't affected me at all. Buy the same if not more.

A chunk of my earning comes from commission, so when others spend less, I make less. Whether or not this will curb my fragrance spending has yet to be determined. At the moment, I'm selling the portions of my wardrobe which either no longer interest me or I have backups of. I'm using this money to buy new things. Its lightening the financial strain of my hobby a bit, but the actual effects of our stressed economy will be seen much clearer in the coming months and years.

Looking forward to that. humph.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

No significant change, but I've really been really trying to curb my fragrance spending as I have so many frags already that I totally enjoy wearing.

I definitely curbed my spending. As a matter of fact I even sold off several fragrances. However, I doubt the state of the economy had anything to do with it. I was just selling off the stuff I wasn't reaching for to make room for newer stuff. I've picked up 5 or 6 scents this month alone...

No not at all.

Yes. By this point I would have ordinarily purchased half a dozen fragrances this year at least. This year so far, two. And one was a split with another Basenoter.

Heck yeah. Frags are my most unnecessary purchase and I'm not going to be fooled by my desire for them or by advertisers. Save the dollars you can, America- Things are gonna get tighter.

I feel like the first and only pragmatic scentualist.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I went to a high end stereo shop and things that usually went for about $8-10k used (yeah, one of THOSE shops) were going for about $5-6k. Not that this is in my league or anything. Salesman also said that they are getting lots of used equipment due to expenses, layoffs and other financial issues, and won't do trades anymore, but consignment sales.

For me, I started noticing it in the price of food and fuel. I was tapering off my collection acquisition, so I am pretty sure that it isn't affecting me a ton. Yet.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Because of this I buy more and more The exchange rate is really good for me at the moment.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I've actually bought far more in the last three months than I ever have, largely because I've been taking advantage of Beauty Habit's 25% off sale. To help finance all these purchases, I've been cutting way back on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Because of this I buy more and more The exchange rate is really good for me at the moment.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Nope, not at all.
    Then, I've never spent gobs of money on fragrance anyway. Nothing has really changed in my world. I'm single and live alone, so my grocery bill isn't huge, just a little more spendy. I use public transportation, for which I get a discounted pass through my employer (deducted from my check before taxes), so gas prices haven't hit me either.
    Only reason I'm on a tighter perfume budget now is because I'd like to buy a home, and because I decided that I should pay more attention to my (clothing) wardrobe.
    Anyway, the hunting period is over. I have some favorites, and feel no need to go buy the latest release, or even try it. Saves a lot of money.
    Ah, you're a happy man

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I was in Barneys yesterday (trying out the latest Diptyque trio, and noticed that there was a definite lack of customers there (including myself, I'd say only perhaps about 3 in total). I also noticed this on the Saturday just before Mother's Day, and even the distributor of i Profumi di Firenze (Miryana Babic) noticed. For those who do not know, Barneys is a higher end store, and I'm referring to a city which has not been very affected by the downturn.

As for myself, even when I was in between jobs, I purchased a Bond no9 along w/ FM's MR (on the same day, no less), so I guess that would mean "no" the economy's woes has not stopped my addiction.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .