Code of Conduct

Default Ava Luxe Incense frags - mini reviews

Recently I purchased several samples of Ava Luxe fragrances - in particular those of the incense line.

Ava Luxe Eau de Parfums (notes are taken from what is available on the internet and not by my own ability to discern them!

Fumari: Resinous incense, oud, cedar, myrrh, rose maroc, saffron.
    Very nice... I like this one quite a lot. The wood notes (cedar) are noticible, but he myrrh and saffron are stronger. I couldn't pick out oud really, nor the rose maroc (though I can't say if I know that note anyway...). I could see wearing this often, and like it more than some of the CdG's and I like it more than Monocle/Hinoki Scent one.

Incense: A light and wonderful incense with bergamot, roman chamomile, elemi, frankincense, copal, myrrh, balsam, and labdanum
    I like this one too... it's somewhat more quiet and soft than Fumari, where the frankincense and myrrh are there, but perhaps the balsam (if that is what that wood note is...) - is very nice and easy to wear. Yet, in the end, there isn't any real "wow" factor here, but just a nice/wearable fragrance.

Incense Noir: Dark, rich, resinous incense
    Yep... dark and rich is right. It smells to me like some spices that have been cooked too much or burnt a little. Not really my cup of tea... but different and interesting. It's rough on the nose up close, but the sillage isn't bad... and it does catch some attention. Yet, I wouldn't wear this often.

Incense Tibet: Warm, spicy, and a little sweet. Notes include Copaiba balsam, rose maroc, myrrh, and balsam.
    I think the description is not quite right... I get a lot of amber... and it's not even listed. By the given description, I thought I would like this the most, but it smells of "Bath and Body Works" style amber - somewhat cheap... somewhat ordinary. I can't say it's bad, but not worth the asking price.

Also testing Film Noir - dark, haunting, dramatic leather scent. Notes include leather, hemlock, spruce, amber, olibanum, coumarin, tobacco, and tonka.
    While it is dark, but I wouldn't say darker than Incense and Fumari. It comes on more fresh and open - perhaps the Leather is lifting it up a bit. Here, amber is listed, but I don't find it so much as I felt it on Tibet. (Makes me wonder a little if my samples were mislabeled or something). Still, I feel the leather, so it must be right. Fans of darker but richer fragrances will find this one enjoyable. I will be giving it a longer (and more exclusive) wearing in the next days.
    Last edited by Schachman; 15th June 2008 at 03:52 AM.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Default Re: Ava Luxe Incense frags - mini reviews

Great reviews Schach!

I've only tested two Ava Luxes', Shisha and Shambala Tibet. While I didn't like (I hated it almost instantly) Shambala Tibet, I really liked Shisha. The notes for Shisha are Tabac, Honey , Raisin, Aubepine, Indian jasmine , Amber, Sandalwood, Spices, Incense and Musk.

Smelled up close immediately after application Shisha almost made me gag with its strong musty "tobacco dipped in and dripping of honey" accord. You can also smell the Incense within the mix along with LOT of Honey and Amber. The Raisin accord gives the Honey an almost "boozy" quality as it lingers as a delicate base note against the Tobacco and Incense making it smell like a rich golden Honeyed drink. I couldn't smell the other notes listed, but that's probably because I'm NOT much of an expert in identifying individual notes. I can see myself wearing this often. This definitely rivals offerings from houses like Serge Lutens in terms of richness, longevity and sillage.

Shambala Tibet, well, it smelled like Horse pee on me, it gave me an headache and made me sweat in a fully air conditioned room.
    Last edited by Amit; 15th June 2008 at 10:25 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I personally love many frags from Ava Luxe. The nose behind Ava Luxe is extremely talented. The problem is inferior ingredients and lasting power. A year or so ago my Wife and I ordered 20 samples and loved most of them. 10-20 minute max longevity on all of them, on the both of us.

If she could get a financial backing and have access to quality ingredients, she could turn them out like Montale does.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    The problem is inferior ingredients and lasting power. A year or so ago my Wife and I ordered 20 samples and loved most of them. 10-20 minute max longevity on all of them, on the both of us.
    It could also be a skin chemistry thing, both the Ava Luxe frags i've tried gave me a minimum of 4 hours longevity.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Javagreen: I get pretty good longevity from Ava Luxe as well.

Shambala Tibet may easily be a chemistry thing. That one only occasionally plays nicely with me. If you like incense, try Incense Tibet and No. 23. They are not as "green" as Shambala Tibet. Incense Tibet has an interesting "chocolatey" note. No. 23 is just danged good smellin'

If she has Palisander available, you may want to try that as well. A beautiful balsamic woody scent that seems to play well in the heat (I use it as a golf scent).
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

All of the fragrances I tried last quite well on me - equal or better than CdG's Kyoto (or the others). I believe there are some unique impressions here worthy of a try.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette