Code of Conduct

Default Dark fragrannces

I like to know what gives a fragragrance the dark charactor? Isn't it subjective to say that a certain fragrance is dark. There could be opposit views on darkness or brightness of a fragrance. For example, Ungaro III is concidered a dark fragrance by many Basenote reviewers. Some wrote:
    "dark and gothic" ; "goth in a bottle"; "scent Dracula would wear as his signature" and so on, and on the other hand some wrote:
    "Melancholy? No. Dark? No way." ; "A happy and cheery romantic" ; "Dark and gothic? Not to this nose. Bright, sharp...cheery"
    I would like to see your input on this.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dark fragrannces

The reformulation of Ungaro III is quite different from the original. The original was dark, with pronounced leather notes in the base. The newer version is not so dark.

Some ingredients can give fragrances a dark character; some combinations (especially of base notes) can do the same. Many people will say that a perfume in which the base notes clearly dominate is dark, especially with chypres and leathers, less so with fougères and florals. It is a little subjective, but one or more of the factors I mention will ususally get some people to call such fragrances "dark."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Salvador Dali PH, for example has a heady base of burnt cedarwood, patchouli, a very odd bloddy musk and some dead flowers in the heart notes.
    i think it may have a goat's head in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Salvador Dali PH, for example has a heady base of burnt cedarwood, patchouli, a very odd bloddy musk and some dead flowers in the heart notes.
    HAHA, I have just made a note to myself to try this on my next visit to the shops! The reviews make it sound very, very different
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    LOL

I think Dali would have definitely approved of those notes/ingredients
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Excuse me for trying to answer the question!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Smoke, incense and/or leather in a fragrance tend to give my nose the impression of darkness.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dark fragrances

Encre Noire.

it's dark. ink dark.

darkness? well if its a young vampire...then Costume National Scent Intense is the dark, brooding, sexy way to go.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I reckon the following villains/heroes wore the following...

Darth Vader - Bvlgari Black
    Dracula - Egoiste
    The Crow - Encre Noir

Narcisso and M7 could also come off dark and moody if done properly...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

The darkness may come from:
    The fragrances with dominating earthy notes like Patchouli or Vetiver - almost all fragrances with Vetiver in its name, Gentleman (Givenchy), Encre Noire (Lalique), Sycomore (Chanel).
    The dominating incense notes like in Incense Extreme (Tauer Perfumes).
    Leather fragrances, smokey notes - Lonestar Memories (Tauer Perfumes), Bandit (Piguet), Cabochard (Gres), Knize Ten
    Some of Aromatic Fougères - I think due to a combination of herbs with Vetiver and/or leather notes - Rice Gauche PH, Azzaro, Aramis etc.
    Some of sultry opiating tropical flowers, like Tuberose, Orchid, Jasmin, Ylang may appear very dark and Gothic. Like in Tubereuse Criminelle (Serge Lutens) I smell the nice white petals together with sultry opiating darkness. Fracas (Piguet) may called dark as well.
    But still - can be very individual. And there are no rules what makes it dark...

My olfactory system reads it differently all the time, but Lutens's Rose de Nuit is often the darkest stuff I've ever smelled. I love it but don't wear it much (I'd rather smell it on someone else), but it's the epitomy of dark chypre.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th June 2008 at 10:52 PM.

i've noticed, Chypre, incense, Mryhh to exude the dark spirits...

ooh I like this thread, I was just about to post a similar question.

I LOVE dark fragrances! I'd like something with a bit of pumpkin or anything dark and halloween-ish... if anyone else has any suggestions i'd love to hear!

Blog Entries

Excellent, excellent. This should all help me choose something for my Sweeney Todd costume. Something that smells like blood, if at all possible...

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Excellent, excellent. This should all help me choose something for my Sweeney Todd costume. Something that smells like blood, if at all possible...
    The first thing that came to my mind was L'Anarchiste. A weird blood-like note and a metallic vibe that will hopefully smell a bit like bloody barber blades on your skin.

For the original question... To my nose, strong incense or smoke make a fragrance dark. Some woods and some florals (like rose and ylang-ylang) have dark qualities to them.
    Last edited by whosyourcaddy05; 16th June 2008 at 09:31 PM.

I actually associate dark notes with where I sense them - deep inside my nose and even close to the throat as opposed to crisp and bright notes (like the opening of citrus scent) that make me tingle from the outside. I think dark notes compel me to take the air deeper while very bright notes are associated with acid or alcohol which are less welcomed by instinct. In this sense, it's quite like colors – bright colors make your pupil close and dark colors make your pupil open.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDan View Post
    ooh I like this thread, I was just about to post a similar question.

I LOVE dark fragrances! I'd like something with a bit of pumpkin or anything dark and halloween-ish... if anyone else has any suggestions i'd love to hear!
    Me too, i love Halloween (best time of the year!) and i crave goth things and smells.
    So, I'm positive you'll like a lot of their offerings:

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/

also, you have to go over to Gorey Details, the net store, they have a very interesting fragrance and oils section.

Cheers!
    ........ and unpleasant dreams...

Dependent

Resurrecting this thread, since I am of the opinion that "dark" takes the prize as the least descriptive word in all of perfumery.

What I assumed to be dark in fragrance - harsh, unusual/mysterious or strange - generally isn't the case at all. "Black" fragrances tend to be balsamic sweet . . . um, last time I checked, vanilla ice cream was white. (I know vanilla pods are dark brown, but associations are made at an early age.) "Rose" doesn't smell "dark" to me . . . it smells red.

Most of BPAL's are sweet, heady florals, the last thing I would consider "dark." Most of Serge Lutens' offerings smell "brown" (woody, dense) to me.

I think many of us agree that citrus is "bright." I find iris and musk to smell "white" (from soap and "clean laundry"). Herbs, galbanum, and leaves are "green." Lavender can be "purple" (floral) or "green" (herbal). But "dark"? I don't find Fahrenheit "dark" . . . I find it bright, green and airy.

What do you think?

Amouage Memoir Man
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Amouage Memoir Man / Dark,Cave-Dark.

Zino Davidoff & Guerlain Heritage
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Dependent

Way to not read my post, guys.

I find Zino to be a bright citrus scent . . . it's yellow. Heritage is a mild beige to me. Memoir Man is green and brown incense . . . see what I mean? Now read my post above and stop listing fragrances that people on BN say are "dark"

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 27th May 2012 at 12:43 AM.

I find incense heavy fragrances dark (greyish-black)to my understanding. Thus Full Incense by Montale fits my interpretation of dark (ashen grey-charcoal black)

Here are some darks:

Worth pour Homme
    Avignon
    Tsar
    Witness
    Dark Aoud
    Knize Ten
    Eucris
    Black Orchid
    M7
    Trussardi uomo

Dark notes include incense, oud, leather, smoke, cognac, rubber, tobacco, orchid.

I find Amouage Epic very dark

Narcisco Rodrigiez for men and Encre Noir fit this bill for me.