Code of Conduct

Default categorize, please: long term investment vs trendy "throwaway"

It used to be that I expected every scent I wore to be "signature" quality and by that I mean a little distinct, a little dramatic, and substantial. Now I'll settle for two or three of these types of scents and I don't need to further search for them, I have them.

Everything else can be temporary. This category will be almost like purchasing shoes. They look good for maybe a season or two, then not so much.

So, two categories: 1) long term investments that will hold up for many years; 2) more up to date and meant to be replaced as time marches on.

Please give me some examples of how you'd categorize your fragrances in these terms. We don't necessarily need to agree on the categorization - obviously these are opinions, after all, I'm just interested in how others would view this distinction.

Mine:

LT (long term): Philtre d' Amour, Aimez Moi, Ysatis, Corps et Ames

TA (throwaway): Insolence, Flower by Kenzo, Lolita Lempicka Fleur Defendue

Yours?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: categorize, please: long term investment vs trendy "throwaway"

Just this morning I discerned two previously unrecognized ways of sorting my wardrobe:
    1) Easy to love
    2) Love, but only when ... I'm in the mood ... or the weather is just so ... or only at bedtime ... or when layered with such-and-such ... or other such caveats.

And I think these headings somewhat parallel your factions. It feels good to rely on those old reliable scents while trusting that other lovelies will come and go and supply transitory diversion.

You're posting some provocative and revealing threads there, seattle. Gosh, what did we do before the Internet and Basenotes--just stare into space thinking our thoughts?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Me too, was looking for a new HG in almost every new purchase I made, but that I gave up quite some time ago.

As per today my list will be:

Long term: White Linen, Fracas, Baghari, Dolce Vita, Je Reviens, Mitsouko, Rive Gauche, Anné Pliska.

Nice enough, but wont re-purchase: Insolence, Nina, Léa, KenzoAmour, Bali Dream, Bulgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge, Bulgari pour femme, JPG Classique EdT, Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint, Vanille Noire du Mexique, Sergio Tacchini BEST, Lacoste Dream of Pink, Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming.

Long Term - usually classics, e.g., Joy, Chanel No. 5, Diorissimo, Diorella, Je Reviens, Angel, Pleasures, fragrances I have always enjoyed and can always go back to even if I've taken a hiatus (unless they've changed the formula). I do like to use the bottles up though, and not have them sitting around for years. I'm not a stockpiler.

Short Term or Throwaway - Bath & Body works crap, inexpensives bottle from Marshalls that when I've tired of I don't feel guilty about $$$, drugstore fragrances, celebrity fragrances. I actually buy very little throwaway stuff. I have disciplined myself to try and try again before I make any real investment. I used to make a lot of unfortunate impulse purchases. I'm much more frugal now, but when I do buy I want it to be of the best quality I can afford. This applies to other purchases than fragrance. I think I've matured when I wasn't looking.

Ms. Seattlelight
    I find whether something is long-term or right now so hard to predict. Especially where I'm at right now in my perfume education. There are things that I feel SHOULD be in each category, then there are things I find myself reaching for when I don't want to think. So my categories are "whenever" scents and "craver" scents. The cravers I don't anticipate lasting longer than a year or two. My list - today.

'Whenever" scents: Hypnotic Poison, Chopard Casmir, Le Labo Jasmin 17, Jicky, Shalimar

"Craver" scents: Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline, Giorgio (BF Lurves this), Fracas, Barbara Bui, Le Labo Labdanum 18. Serge Lutens Fleur d'Oranger, Montale Black Aoud

And then there is a whole category of stuff that's fun to wear occasionally. That list is really long.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Although I am very open to any perfume experience, I find that I still worry that my scent will offend other people. So, I have at least two categories:

Stuff I love and want to wear
    Stuff I like well enough, but is "inoffensive" or "easy"

Sometimes the stuff from the "easy" category makes it into the "I love it" category simply because there are times when I can't take anything too challenging

Blog Entries

Well I have been going through a crazy time of late where I have not been wearing any perfume at all!

Back to the topic...

I have way to many perfumes to be able to give a concise glib list for each. Suffice to say out of the 800+ bottles decants and samples that I have collected at least 120 of them are diehard, speak to my soul HGs.

I just wanted to add that sometime there are cross overs between the two categories. For example: When I first purchased Guerlains Champs-Elysees EDT I would have listed it as a transient like... something girly to offset my usual brooding animalic powerhouse loves.But over the years it has grown on me until now it is very high up on my list of HGs. I have no idea how that happened but it's true...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I have a group of scents that I would hate to see discontinued and wear often.
    I can't see myself giving them up. They include:-
    Cristobal, Rive Gauche, Roma, Diorella, Le Parfum de Therese, Iris Poudre,
    Lullaby, Casaque, Un Jour se Leve, Nirmala, SMN Classica and Feminite du Bois.

Other scents I am currently flirting with, but don't need permanently in my life are:-
    Emporio Armani She, Ivoire, SMN Melograno, Eau de Lancome, Angel, Bulgari Omnia,
    and two AA's - Flora Nerolia and Mandarine Basilic.

Whoa just saw your drobe Moondeva... how do you choose what to wear each day???

Edit: anyway, on topic - I can't really categorize most of my fragrances. Either I likey or I don't at the moment I'll work it out eventually I spose. But I definitely see myself replacing LTBL and Dolce Vita.
    Last edited by jillsy; 16th June 2008 at 09:39 AM.

moondeva - interesting comment about scent shifting categories. Undoubtedly that will happen with time.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Well I have been going through a crazy time of late where I have not been wearing any perfume at all!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hi Moondeva!
    Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    ...And you usually wear more than one at the same time.
    So it must be crazy times.

The "long-term" category is when I love something that is also considered to be a classic. For example: 1000, Miss Dior, Bois des Iles, No. 19, Chamade, Mitsouko, and many others--too many to list. They are time-tested and speak of quality to me. I would buy them repeatedly for years (barring reformulation).

Something more "present-time" would be a quirky fragrance that I take a liking to, such as Madini Musk Gazelle, Black Aoud, or Tam Dao. Also in this category are a few readily available (but still good) fragrances that I can find in stores in my town like Knowing, Aromatics Elixer, Youth Dew, and Paloma Picasso. I may buy all of these for the rest of my life, too.

I try hard to avoid buying anything that I don't like enough to use continually. I try even harder not to buy a full bottle of anything that lacks the potential to become a permanent part of my collection. I would rather order repeated sample vials or get small decants.

You're posting some provocative and revealing threads there, seattle. Gosh, what did we do before the Internet and Basenotes--just stare into space thinking our thoughts? [/QUOTE]

Philosophy major, so....yes.

Wow, you guys, I definitely feel like such an amateur when I read your posts...and then when I see your wardrobes...

Anyway, here are mine that I consider forever loves:

Shalimar, Joy, Samsara, White Linen, Adrienne Vittadini, Champs Elysees, Obsession

Here are "right now" loves but probably not forever:

Coco Mademoiselle, Delices de Cartier, AG Folavril, Eau D'Hadrien, Lolita Lempicka, Baiser du Dragon.

Here are some that were loves at some point and are long gone:

Amarige, Oscar de La Renta, Paloma Picasso, Dune, Je Reviens....