Code of Conduct

Default A sort of hello...

Hey guys, long time no see. We'll I've been here occasionally, but mostly taking a quick look around or posting my SotD. Some might remember me, but there are so many new faces! I feel kind of lost looking at all new names haha.

I went back to school after a five year break. Because of that (and now having a more limited income) I steered away from fragrances a bit. Haven't bought a single fragrance in almost a year now. Last one being Roger & Galet Jean Marie Farina I think. Been trying a few, but nothing has really wowed me. It is not that fragrances bored me, but acquiring new ones instead of focusing on the ones I have and love got tiresome. Every SotD is always picked with great care of course, don't worry

But there has been a change for sure, now to the better (as getting into fragrances again). There is a huge backlist of fragrances I N E E D to get. I'm not sure where I'll start, but I sure want to get some off of my to buy-list. I also want to start discovering many of the new lines I just haven't had time or energy to check out yet (well, and even some not so new ones *cough cough*

Chergui has been my very favorite fragrance for YEARS now, but still haven't got a bottle of it. It should be my first. Hermès Hiris is also one of those I really really want, such a cool fragrance (everything about it is cool, I doubt there will ever be a fragrance as badass as Giacobetti's creation).

I'd also like to add another l'Artisan to my collection and I'm thinking about one very easily worn which could get some rotation together with my staple l'Eau de l'Artisan: Navegar might to the job well.

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower for obvious reasons. And Creed's Angelique Encens for the same ones.

BUT, the one I've decided to get before all of these is... Dorissima
    Narziß. Oh my god, what a stunner. Also one I've loved since forever but never allowed myself to afford it. This fall I hope...

And last of all, hi to all old friends and hi to all the new! I'm glad to see you.

//Martin
    Last edited by shifts; 15th June 2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot word in the subject, lol!

Default Re: A sort hello...

Welcome back. Time for you to catch up on all the Luca Turin hype and a zillion Creed threads - sometimes one and the same . Have you gotten the book yet? You might have to buy even more then (or perhaps less).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Glad to see you returning to Basenotes. I have missed your comments, reviews, and recommendations. Many of your recommendations have challenged my preconceived notions about a scent or scent family and have resulted in an enlightening learning experience for me. I have discovered many favorites and added them to my wardrobe. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Welcome back. Time for you to catch up on all the Luca Turin hype and a zillion Creed threads - sometimes one and the same . Have you gotten the book yet? You might have to buy even more then (or perhaps less).
    I don't know if this has anything to do with me returning here and everything: The direct answer to your question is no. But that is only half the truth as the book is on it's way of here as I type. I did order it today, funny coincidence

I also hope you know that you are responsible for me buying that wonderful Roger & Gallet...

Thank you for the welcome backing

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Glad to see you returning to Basenotes. I have missed your comments, reviews, and recommendations. Many of your recommendations have challenged my preconceived notions about a scent or scent family and have resulted in an enlightening learning experience for me. I have discovered many favorites and added them to my wardrobe. Thank you.
    Wow, what a welcoming! Very kind words, many thanks for that, definitely warming.

((...and now back to watching the European Fotball championships: Switzerland-Portugal and Turkey-Czech Republic tonight! ))
    Last edited by shifts; 15th June 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Ahh, my bro is glued to the TV set because of those football matches

All in all, welcome back (I'm one of those new faces btw)

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Welcome back - I'm new(ish)
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: A sort of hello...

Welcome back! I've been around for a while now; maybe you remember me from earlier times... Anyway, it's good to have you back, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stop thinking about scents!

There are a lot of new people on, all degrees of previous knowledge and experience. It makes for a good mix, but it's definitely always changing. Basenotes got some press not long ago — actually, a few times — and the servers started to go slow because of the volume of messaging and checking reviews and the fragrance directory. Now Grant is revamping the whole site and trying to hold down the fort, in spite of the new baby and all.

Hope that catches you up a bit, if you didn't already know. And again, a very hearty welcome back!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Thank you JamieB and of course I remember you!

mlt.perfume and javagreen: I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, I hope I'll get to know your tastes and board personalities in the future.

Hej shifts and welcome back! I have read a lot of your posts and I wondered where you disappeared. Most of the post were pretty old...

Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    I don't know if this has anything to do with me returning here and everything: The direct answer to your question is no. But that is only half the truth as the book is on it's way of here as I type. I did order it today, funny coincidence

I also hope you know that you are responsible for me buying that wonderful Roger & Gallet...

Thank you for the welcome backing
    Hey, if I can get a few more people to wear Jean Marie Farina, my life hasn't been in vain
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Hi Martin,
    Great to have you back to add your weight and thoughtfulness .Looking forward to reading your posts again and maybe trading again sometime.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Shifts, It's awesome to see you here again, my fellow Comme des Garçons junkie! Hinoki's a great one if you haven't tried it.

Great to see you posting again, shifts!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Welcome back, Martin! Good to see you.

Indie_Guy already recommended Hinoki to you, and I second the recommendation. If you haven't tried it yet, you simply must.
    I haven't been this smitten with a scent for a long time, and I remember your taste in CdG (and other) scents is quite similar as mine.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

hirch, Indie and tigs! Nice to see you all again. I've missed your posts (even though I was the one being gone heh).

I'm waaay behind on my CdG quest now: Hinoki, the three new vitaminboosts, 888 and the two Luxe fragrances. Oh my! Thanks for the tip though, Hinoki will be the first one off the list for sure.

I would love to smell a new fragrance which kan sweep me off my feet, it was a long time ao now. Or actually, I'm lying a little bit: I got a sample of the Tom Ford Private Blends Bois Rouge, and it is a killer! I really really like it.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome back shifts - I think it was by your gentle urging that I first tried Mitsuoko by Guerlain. Now I'm knee deep in Guerlain classics (samples of course) and I just bought my first bottle of Shalimar (EdC) last week. Many new scents have been acquired recently (I must admit I was one of the first ones to hype the aforementioned Hinoki - it's wonderful), but it is mostly sampling the 'classic' Guerlain's that has really touched me. Habit Rouge, Philtre d'Amour and Apres L'Ondee are amazing!

Have you smelled the new Serge Lutens, Five O'Clock Gingembre? If not, give it a sniff...it's a weird one.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th June 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Welcome (back).

Great to see your words again Shifts. Really great.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome back and in fact, I always remembered how you love CdG Odeur 53 and of course Hiris. It's funny that you mentioned it...and you still don't have that one.
    RM

Welcome back shifts! I enthusiastically jump on board with Indie and Tiggs in that you must try Hinoki. It is all I have worn for 2 months now. It is so good that I haven't craved anything else!

I'm glad to see you back shifts. I have always paid attention to your wardrobe and input into this forum, and more than once I've wondered what you've been up to.

pleased to make your aquaintace Shifts! i did notice your posts earlier one and while goin thru earlier posts...gee all this makes you sound quite old

btw, im the new irritating guy on the block.

Hey there! It's been a while!
    I have been away too, with work and what not, and as usual, travelling.
    There are so many new things to try on and so many things to look out for that it feels like time's running out or something, but it's been quiet for me too: i haven't bought anything new in a while even though i have been gioven stuff.
    Glad to see you back here.

So good to see you post again Martin, welcome back my friend .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Smile Re: A sort of hello...

Welcome back! I remember enjoying your insightful post.Check out the relatively new house, Nosmatto, particularly their Duro parfum. All their offerings are parfum extraits. Again welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Welcome back shifts - I think it was by your gentle urging that I first tried Mitsuoko by Guerlain. Now I'm knee deep in Guerlain classics (samples of course) and I just bought my first bottle of Shalimar (EdC) last week. Many new scents have been acquired recently (I must admit I was one of the first ones to hype the aforementioned Hinoki - it's wonderful), but it is mostly sampling the 'classic' Guerlain's that has really touched me. Habit Rouge, Philtre d'Amour and Apres L'Ondee are amazing!

Have you smelled the new Serge Lutens, Five O'Clock Gingembre? If not, give it a sniff...it's a weird one.
    Wow, I'm happy that I could influence such good choices. Oh Habit Rouge EdC, it gets better with each wearing still. What an amazing scent!

Haven't tried the Lutens yet, but I'm very very curious about it. Will definately try to check that one off my list soon as well. Thanks for the reminder Mike! Very cool to still see you around here.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Great to see you posting again, shifts!
    Hey, I'm glad you are still here! :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Welcome back and in fact, I always remembered how you love CdG Odeur 53 and of course Hiris. It's funny that you mentioned it...and you still don't have that one.
    RM
    Haha, yeah, I do talk about Odeur 53 quite a bit (I actually have it as my SotD today

DustB: Thanks for the grand welcoming!

pelle: Hej! Nice to see another Swede around here. We need more...

Wow, amazing! All the old friends are still here. maisonstinky, man, I've missed you!!! castorpollox, nattygold, Scentologist and all others making me feel all warm and fuzzy, a big wave back!

See you on the boards then

Hi Shifts, Welcome back! Hope to see your posts again here.

Hi Shifts, nice to make your acquaintance! Any fellow lover of Hiris is a friend of mine!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Welcome back Martin, my friend!
    You've been really missed here for your insightful posts and your unconventional taste. And of course cuz you're a smart funny mate
    Lots to try I bet, from the new CGD to the Tom Ford (you have absolutely to try Tuscan Leather and Noire de Noire I guess hehe). But also the latest Lutens (well 5 'o clock au gingembre didnt mesmerize me but it's ok, I'm now looking for Noire Serge that from the description seems more to my likings and maybe yours from what I remember, ashes, iris etc... hihihi).
    Befinitely welcome back home buddy!

Your insights will be keenly sought at the Abuse Clinic.

Quite frankly, going cold turkey and not buying a scent for an entire year is utterly unheard of around here.

Dare I say it - a near superhuman effort. Well done.
    Renato

Hey Shifts,
    Good to see you back in action here. You will find Basenotes a generally more crowded place than when you left. Sometimes that is good - there are some strong articulate voices that have joined and their insights have been a welcome addition. In other ways the growth has just made for more of everything - more posts, more comments, and more Creed threads. And, of course the population here gets larger, people get more anonymous and unknown which leads to more snarky comments in general. Your thoughtful voice will be welcomed.
    -Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Hi shifts ! Good to read you again.

I'm glad that old buddies are coming back.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Happy to see you back, Shifts. I missed your posts.