Code of Conduct

Default Tried Secretions Magnifique yesterday..... why oh why ....

Allo peeps,

There's a side to me that's the silly little kid, when something is has a notorious reputation I'm immediately tempted to find out for myself whether this reputation is deserved.

So I dragged a friend of mine to David Jones (dept store in Aust) and we searched out SM.

After reading the reviews - especially how horrendous it is, and has a metallic/blood accord - i just had to try the card test with it.

Oh my god, we both nearly threw up in the middle of the store!!

What is this stuff???!!!

Why oh why would a perfume house create something so horrendously sickening?!

Default Re: Tried Secretions Magnifique yesterday..... why oh why ....

So they can be the first one to make a perfume that makes people throw up!

Post Thanks / Like

Once I happened to enter an exhibition where there were interesting, albeit a bit strange, sometimes ugly sculptures. But at the end I found the writing on the wall: these had been created by blind young boys and girls. I was moved. This is serious, just think how they used their fingers to express their imagination.

Now, because I like to see things joyous: what if the person who created this scent, is suffering from not being able to smell anything? In this case the end result might be even better than one could imagine. Why not give him/her a chance to try.
    Last edited by Sandy; 17th June 2008 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Good analogy

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    After reading the reviews - especially how horrendous it is, and has a metallic/blood accord - i just had to try the card test with it.
    Blood accord?! I HAVE to smell this now. Is it made for people or sharks?

Quote Originally Posted by charlielu View Post
    So they can be the first one to make a perfume that makes people throw up!
    Too late for that - there have been plenty that make people gag uncontrollably.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

As has been discussed before, this scent doesn't make everyone gag who smells it. Many here on Basenotes enjoy the scent. I personally cannot wear it, it makes me nauseous. But my distaste in it is doesn't warrant me wishing the scent out of existence.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Well, obviously someone likes it, or they would've discontinued it.

Off-Scenter

Secretions Magnifiques was designed to polarize, and polarize it does. In that sense, it can be counted as a successful fragrance. I myself find it both repugnant and boring (oxymoron?), smelling neither attractive nor particularly stimulating. That's as opposed to some scents I enjoy that are not necessarily "attractive" in conventional terms (Muscs Koublai Khan and Yatagan come to mind), but that exercise a peculiar intrigue and possess, to my nose, an unconventional beauty. Such impressions are of course entirely subjective, and so while Secretions Magnifiques is most definitely not for me, I can't begrudge others their enjoyment of it.

This one is quickly becoming the most notorious scent on the boards. Move over Kouros and Creed, we have a new challenger.

Post Thanks / Like

It's supposedly selling like hotcakes in the Marais, sooooo

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's rather nice. A salty floral and coconut accord.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    This one is quickly becoming the most notorious scent on the boards. Move over Kouros and Creed, we have a new challenger.
    I don't think that Creed would ever be widely considered as notorious on BN - there are people that hate all Creeds but they are few and far between.

And Kouros, while completely unappealing to me personally, does have a lot of support here. For as many people that dislike it, there are just as many that do.

I think I've only seen one or two people here who have ever said that they like SM [this thread notwithstanding]. Given this fact, even if I do end up liking it, you would be unlikely to find me actually wearing it.
    Last edited by baudilus; 17th June 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused a riot at its premiere, the public was hostile to the works of the French Impressionist painters (impressionism was at first a derogatory term for the work...). Similarly I think Secretions Magnifiques will become a modern landmark of perfumery!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon View Post
    Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused a riot at its premiere, the public was hostile to the works of the French Impressionist painters (impressionism was at first a derogatory term for the work...). Similarly I think Secretions Magnifiques will become a modern landmark of perfumery!
    Somehow.... I'm not so sure about that one. Being "radical" and "different" isn't necessarily a hallmark of greatness that the public is not ready to appreciate.

SM smelt like an operating theater to me... urgh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I think it's rather nice. A salty floral and coconut accord.
    Yep. The top notes are a bit scary, but the drydown is soft and sweet.

But that's to my nose and on my skin, can't speak for the rest of their world (and their dogs).
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post

SM smelt like an operating theater to me... urgh!
    I've been in an operating theatre when I've been operated on - they smell heavenly compared to this.

Now you can understand why I had to spray Kenneth Cole Black from Myers all over SM to try (in vain) to blot it out.

We can't buy mace or pepper/capsicum spray down here any more, but who needs them when this stuff is available over the counter?
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

this is definitely i the scent i MOST wanna try right now, just to see what all the chaotic reviews are all about.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a peculiar "wet dog" smell present in it...but it took me a while to catch onto that. I don't think I would have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me.

I believe Tania mentions in The Guide (sssshhh...I dare speak its name!) that some people are more sensitive to nitriles than others...I guess I am not one.