Code of Conduct

Default pheromones and fragrances

The last couple of years I've been a bit of a fragrance junky of sorts, on a limited budget. I order lots of samplers and have tried alot of designer fragrances in small amounts. My day to day fragrances tend to be cheap stuff, but I always tried new things. Some things I loved, some things I hated.

Recently in the last couple of months I've gotten interested in human pheromones and aromatherapy. Laugh at it you want, but they do work. Just not in the way many people think (an Axe commercial- this has never happened to me), pheromones in particular take a certain familiarity and skill to use. IMO they will never be successful mass-market products because you have to take the Red Pill and start opening your eyes to the subtleties in life that are all around us, and that most people ignore. 90 percent of all people will try a pheromone and say "it did nothing... nobody came up to me and talked to me/mobbed me/jumped my bones, etc.". Truth is learning what works takes time, money and energy, and it doesn't do all the work for you. And most of the products out there are garbage (and it's my little secret as to which ones work).

With my experiences with pheromones I've come to the conclusion that "natural chemistry" is greatly overlooked- you know, the natural funk that most people made in the years before the victorians introduced widespread hygene. Last week I got a compliment from a man wearing some pheromones and English Leather. He complimented my choice of colognes and asked what it was, and seemed a bit shocked when I told him what I was wearing, as if somebody like myself should be wearing something better. I've had similar experiences wearing drugstore fragrances, or even just simple essential oil blends. All combined with pheromones (BTW, this is not an add, or a promotion of pheromones in general, just an observation).

I've had another interesting experience with Drakkar Noir. I used to detest the stuff, but it smells totally different when wearing pheromones. It used to smell dry and dead, with pheromones it smells zippy. Same thing with Aramis, it is transformed from a dank 70's hotel room, or pencil shavings, into something sensuous.

In fact, it's gotten to the point I don't care about individual fragrances so much. In fact I think the strategy of trying to find a "cool" trendy fragrance is backwards. I actually want to find something bizarre or mysterious that grabs peoples attention. I'm actually thinking of trying out something infamous, maybe Jade East or something along those lines. Something that could be a "pickup line" or conversation starter (and BTW, in real life I never disclose my interest in pheromones to anybody). Any suggestions for an unusual men's fragrance that isn't too pricey?

Default Re: pheromones and fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
    The last couple of years I've been a bit of a fragrance junky of sorts, on a limited budget. I order lots of samplers and have tried alot of designer fragrances in small amounts. My day to day fragrances tend to be cheap stuff, but I always tried new things. Some things I loved, some things I hated.

Recently in the last couple of months I've gotten interested in human pheromones and aromatherapy. Laugh at it you want, but they do work. Just not in the way many people think (an Axe commercial- this has never happened to me), pheromones in particular take a certain familiarity and skill to use. IMO they will never be successful mass-market products because you have to take the Red Pill and start opening your eyes to the subtleties in life that are all around us, and that most people ignore. 90 percent of all people will try a pheromone and say "it did nothing... nobody came up to me and talked to me/mobbed me/jumped my bones, etc.". Truth is learning what works takes time, money and energy, and it doesn't do all the work for you. And most of the products out there are garbage (and it's my little secret as to which ones work).

With my experiences with pheromones I've come to the conclusion that "natural chemistry" is greatly overlooked- you know, the natural funk that most people made in the years before the victorians introduced widespread hygene. Last week I got a compliment from a man wearing some pheromones and English Leather. He complimented my choice of colognes and asked what it was, and seemed a bit shocked when I told him what I was wearing, as if somebody like myself should be wearing something better. I've had similar experiences wearing drugstore fragrances, or even just simple essential oil blends. All combined with pheromones (BTW, this is not an add, or a promotion of pheromones in general, just an observation).

I've had another interesting experience with Drakkar Noir. I used to detest the stuff, but it smells totally different when wearing pheromones. It used to smell dry and dead, with pheromones it smells zippy. Same thing with Aramis, it is transformed from a dank 70's hotel room, or pencil shavings, into something sensuous.

In fact, it's gotten to the point I don't care about individual fragrances so much. In fact I think the strategy of trying to find a "cool" trendy fragrance is backwards. I actually want to find something bizarre or mysterious that grabs peoples attention. I'm actually thinking of trying out something infamous, maybe Jade East or something along those lines. Something that could be a "pickup line" or conversation starter (and BTW, in real life I never disclose my interest in pheromones to anybody). Any suggestions for an unusual men's fragrance that isn't too pricey?

Hmm, very interesting read indeed. On the topic- you should try Salvador Dali pour Homme - a vey unusual and dark fragrance that I assume is rather cheap. Another suggestion would be Chanel Antaeus but I don't know if you will able to find it cheap.

Nice post Magnulus!

I seem to be one of the only members here that have very positive experiences with pheromones. Most here dismiss them without trying them.

Others think the people that use pheros are looking for an instant replacement for actual skill with women, as opposed using them as an additional tool. They're especially helpful as we age as pheromone production drops precipitously after 35.

Like you, I have done my homework (and have a box of journals documenting my phero experiences to prove it) and know what works and what doesn't.

Too bad you won't receive any respect here for your hard work and time.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 17th June 2008 at 07:59 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

What do you recommend Simon Moon in terms of pheromones?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep Salvador Dali in mind.

I've also heard of a boutique cologne called Pheros, it is said to contain oud (BTW, I cannot find Pheros on the net, googling it is sort of futile, anybody got a link?). Based on the description, oud sounds interesting.I also think jasmine and ylang ylang might be interesting choices for fragrance notes, too. I love the smell of ylang ylang, even though it isn't all that prominent in mens fragrances.

Most pheromone users go for scents like Hugo Boss or Cool Water. IMO, this is a terrible idea because you'll tend to smell like every other man and people won't notice the smell so much.

Other frags/oils I've tried with pheromones:

1 Canoe (actually seems to work decent, the sweet overtone is blended away)
    2 Brut (ditto- it smells really masculine with certain pheromones, totally transformed)
    3 Old Spice Pure Sport- some pheromones make this stuff a little extra heavy. Not that great for summer, which is wierd because it is called "Sport". I think the scent is like Allure pour Homme?
    5. Obsession - too heavy smelling for daytime wear, smelled feminine almost- pheromones didn't alter the character much
    6. Aqua di Gio- works good in the summer with pheromones. The scent is nondescript, but a bit played out.
    7. Whole Foods perfume oil, Amber and Sandalwood - smells similar to obsession. Way too strong, blatantly non-masculine. Still, smells a bit mysterious on a man, I would think.
    8. A drop of patchouli oil- I got comments from a few people about smelling a bit like a hippie. I loved the scent. It smelled alot better than most fragrances. Aromatherapy at work?
    9. Frankincense- another oil I love, smells good with pheromones- I usually mix in jojoba with one drop patchouli, 2 drops orange oil, 1 drop frankincense. I should probably try a little rose to round out the blend, maybe add some jasmine and ylang ylang, maybe I'd have my own personal fragrance ?
    10. Cool Water- smells like toilet bowl cleanser or turkish shaving cream. Overrated. It's not bad but I smell like every other guy out there. Pheromones work with it OK, but the scent is somewhat played out, I think. Not mysterious or sophisticated really.

I've got A*Men (I love this in the winter) and several other frags I haven't tried with pheromones, though.

I'd also add the concept of a unisex fragrance is totally sound, based on my experiences with pheromones. Female pheromones don't even smell/feel in any way similar on a man, why would a fragrance? I think there's something to be said about a simple unisex fragrance for day-to-day wear- maybe musk frags would be the original unisex fragrances? And why else do so many women admit to liking men's colognes? Basicly my experiences with pheromones just show that the old addage that your "natural skin chemistry" really does affect how you'll smell, and every person I believe is going to have different tastes because it really does smell different on them than somebody else.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 17th June 2008 at 08:51 PM.

If you're looking for an unusual scent for a man, I would suggest "Lucky You" by Lucky Brand. It can be had for less than $20 and is very dark and smokey, but surprisingly decadent for such a cheap frag.

It comes in a cool bottle too.

Lightbulb Re: pheromones and fragrances

Have you tried Realm for men? They say it has Pheromones in it. I've tried it out. It smelled good. I didn't work for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Have you tried Realm for men? They say it has Pheromones in it. I've tried it out. It smelled good. I didn't work for me though.
    Nope, but that's one phero-frag that seems to not get too much respect among serious aficionados. The concentration is rather low and the company keeps its stuff rather secret. "vomero-pherins" are some mystery substance in Realm. I've heard some scientist who study human neuro-olfactory responses say humans have no vomeronasal organ, and that's not how pheromones would work anyways. So it's just a big (?) mark. I believe any attempt at a commercial, mass market pheromone fragrance would just be a failure, anyways. It has been tried before (Jovan and others) and eventually they tend to die off and go into obscurity. Most people are not patient or observant enough to see what these things do.

OK, not to give away too much of the craft but basicly you don't usually wear pheromones in a cologne/fragrance, you apply them first then cover them with cologne. Sometimes if you are skilled you can blend pheromones into a diluted cologne or fragrance- diluted because usually you end up using more, not less and you don't want to gas people. The cologne/fragrance's purpose is mostly to protect the pheromone from evaporation and enhance diffusion. It also can mask more blatant smelling pheromones (some smell either like a sharp musk or cat pee), though most pheromones just smell like a day-old shirt- musky/musty smelling, not really unpleasant once you get used to them. Also, a cologne can add to a person's conscious olfactory presence, certain pheromone combos would just smell wierd on somebody dressed poorly (visual presence), and a cologne can add to a person's presence in general.

If you want to read a good book on the human sense of smell and the science behind why certain chemicals can elicit feelings and moods in people, read Scent of Eros by James Vaughn Kohl and Robert Francoeur. It will explain the science behind it all in a highly-readable and relatively brief book.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 17th June 2008 at 10:00 PM.

Where do you buy them Magnulus? I think they will blend well with my yatagan and black aoud!

Try Love-Scent or Androtics / Smart-Mones.com.

I recommend Scent of Eros as a beginner pheromone roll-on, you get that at Lovescent. It is sort of pricey (50 bucks,a bottle could last several months to half a year) but not that expensive compared to a top-quality cologne. The default fragrance is a light musk, but you can buy unfragranced SoE. Honestly the effect is subtle but people tend to act friendlier around you, more open, the kind of guy a woman's parents wouldn't be afraid to meet, that sort of image. Another good one to try is The Edge, but it is much more sexual and most younger men should probably dilute it in cologne and/or alcohol- not beginner friendly. 1 drop Alter Ego is another one to try- it's not too strong but it's also very sexual. Too much androstenone just makes you smell like cat pee and people around you will stay away from you. It can even cause aggression. It also makes you feel to other people like a "bad boy" if you use enough of it, like you are a bit of a thug or "dangerous". That appeals to some women but not to others, and men don't like the effect so much on other men and it's been known to cause bar fights and similar things.

Perception is a Love-Scent gel of sorts that's another good starter product. It's a very subtle effect though and you have to hang around somebody a while before they start being influenced by it. It's fairly sexual but it's a smooth effect compared to Alter Ego or the Edge, and has a fun, open component as well. You can buy gel packs of Perception or Scent of Eros to try out. Perception smells slightly urinous or a sharp musk (some people cannot smell androstenone), but you can cover it with cologne/fragrance.

Androtics Ammo is also good, but unfortunately it is scented a bit like Hugo Boss or Grey Flannel, somewhere around there- it's not offensive it just is trying to be mass market and nondescript. The default scent for Androtics products is a neroli musk that is very subtle. Androtics is less an "all in one" approach and is less influenced by the ,er, seduction community, and the customers come in all types; people write journals talking about their pheromone experiences at work or even with family and friends, though mostly it is more "seduction" oriented types and the curious. Androtics is more like a tailored effect, much more powerful but you have to learn to use them. As I said before, most people will not notice much, if anything from wearing pheromones because the effect is subtle and suggestive more than anything. And sometimes pheromones can even have unintended consequences.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 18th June 2008 at 04:44 AM.

OK, I ordered Lucky You, Jade East, and Salvador Dali. That sounds like a good start. I also looked on eBay for some oud oil from a reputable seller and ordered some. I'm sure it's cheap but I don't mind so much, it'll give me a taste anyways- I've always been interested in this scent but never tried it, sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 18th June 2008 at 05:08 AM.

You'll love Kouros and Secretions Maginfiques... and you do not need Pheromones, the sweat smell is already incuded.

Yatagan or l'Anarchiste by Caron would fit the "off the beaten path" category, and would likely fit well with some of your natural stink

both are pretty cheap, too
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 18th June 2008 at 06:20 AM.

Oh, interesting ! I must go to work, I'll come back later ...
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Try Love-Scent or Androtics / Smart-Mones.com.

I recommend Scent of Eros as a beginner pheromone roll-on, you get that at Lovescent. It is sort of pricey (50 bucks,a bottle could last several months to half a year) but not that expensive compared to a top-quality cologne. The default fragrance is a light musk, but you can buy unfragranced SoE. Honestly the effect is subtle but people tend to act friendlier around you, more open, the kind of guy a woman's parents wouldn't be afraid to meet, that sort of image. Another good one to try is The Edge, but it is much more sexual and most younger men should probably dilute it in cologne and/or alcohol- not beginner friendly. 1 drop Alter Ego is another one to try- it's not too strong but it's also very sexual. Too much androstenone just makes you smell like cat pee and people around you will stay away from you. It can even cause aggression. It also makes you feel to other people like a "bad boy" if you use enough of it, like you are a bit of a thug or "dangerous". That appeals to some women but not to others, and men don't like the effect so much on other men and it's been known to cause bar fights and similar things.

Perception is a Love-Scent gel of sorts that's another good starter product. It's a very subtle effect though and you have to hang around somebody a while before they start being influenced by it. It's fairly sexual but it's a smooth effect compared to Alter Ego or the Edge, and has a fun, open component as well. You can buy gel packs of Perception or Scent of Eros to try out. Perception smells slightly urinous or a sharp musk (some people cannot smell androstenone), but you can cover it with cologne/fragrance.

Androtics Ammo is also good, but unfortunately it is scented a bit like Hugo Boss or Grey Flannel, somewhere around there- it's not offensive it just is trying to be mass market and nondescript. The default scent for Androtics products is a neroli musk that is very subtle. Androtics is less an "all in one" approach and is less influenced by the ,er, seduction community, and the customers come in all types; people write journals talking about their pheromone experiences at work or even with family and friends, though mostly it is more "seduction" oriented types and the curious. Androtics is more like a tailored effect, much more powerful but you have to learn to use them. As I said before, most people will not notice much, if anything from wearing pheromones because the effect is subtle and suggestive more than anything. And sometimes pheromones can even have unintended consequences.
    Another excellent post!

Your experiences parallel mine very closely.

I've had many close calls with ODing with too much androstenone in bars and clubs.

The 2 sites you mentioned are the best. I like Androtics products best, but there are some other good ones as well.

I think the best thing for anyone to do that feels like experimenting with them is to go to androtics.com or love-scent.com and go to the live forums and hang out for a while and see what others are doing.

P.S. it was Love-scent.com that recommended Basenotes as the best fragrance site!
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 18th June 2008 at 07:32 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I know you may laugh at this, but Aqua-Velva Classic Ice Blue makes for a very nice alcohol based astringent, if your skin can tolerate that, if it isn't too drying, or if you just need a regular change from a water-based astringent.

It also comes in a prettyish bottle that used to have a label which could just be peeled off. Sadly the label now seems to be glued with some type of super-glue and needs to be decanted.

I believe Aqua-Velva is circa 1935.

Vassaari

Banned

if you want to start, and continue, a conversation...along the lines one suspects you might, being that you are wanting pheremones to be doing their magic, the clear choice to me is Cumming! it may not be as cheap as you had in mind but even speaking of the price ($69!) will perhaps help things along to the intended goal...!

Two good pheromones for conversation and friendly vibe are Scent Of Eros (Love Scent) and Instant Openess (Andriotics). I've used both and they make people friendlier and more talkative when around me.

I'm pretty sure Kouros wouldn't work. Never tried it, it's not too popular where I live so haven't smelled it... but some people describe urine notes? Let's just say some pheromones already have that going on. Not all, but some. Eau de Cat Pee.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 19th June 2008 at 04:52 AM.

Have you tried pheromones with Escada Magnetism? Magnetism contains schinus, said to be an aphrodisiac. Could prove to be an interesting combination. Also, Magnetism can be purchased inexpensively at any Ross/Marshalls type of discounter. (I bought my bottle at Marshalls.)

I got the Salvador Dali today, and some Burmese aoud oil.

The Salvador Dali pour Homme I'm wearing right now. It's just bizarre. Way beyond mysterious, surreal. It's like a man's cologne dressed in drag. I think I smell a smokey or fruit/spice note or two in there, plus some sandalwood. It's like a cartoon, if Daffy Duck wore a fragrance this would probably be a close match. It also smells a little cheap, but it's also somewhat beautiful in a severe way. Kind of like the aoud I tried earlier in the day and I'll get to in a minute.

I don't think you want to wear alot of Aoud. I tried wearing a 1/5 diluted drop of 25 percent Aoud and it was really strong. It's medicinal and earthy, sort of like Frankincense's dark half-brother. I also think it has interesting neurosensory effects, it seems similar to some pheromones I have tried. In higher amounts it seems to produce a more quiet/meditative, less social feeling. Like I've got a bit of David Carradine going on- it makes people more quiet, calm and just want to do not much of anything in higher amounts. It's severely beautiful and it can be a little overbearing in the wrong contexts. I think it would be better to use this stuff as a fixative in a blend, in fact I made my mom up some perfume using a few drops of diluted aoud (about 3 drops, diluted to ten percent in 2.5 mL oil), synthetic sandalwood accord, synthetic ambergris, synthetic vanilla, rose absolute, jasmine, and some neroli. I had her try some out earlier and it smells wonderful on her- it's not dark and brooding but it does smell a little mysterious or exotic and she really likes it.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 24th June 2008 at 04:06 AM.