Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Poivre Samarcande - Alternate Suggestions?

Hi, all.

I finished up my Poivre Samarcande this weekend. Before rushing out to buy a small bottle, I wanted to see if Basenoters had any alternative suggestions to try out first. Poivre Samarcande's clean pepper top (that lasts on me) with a nice woody base supporting it really works out as a clean, classic, pepper which I like.

I've tried Dzongkha, Timbuktu, Blenheim Bouquet and some other similar frags. And they don't quite cut it.

But is there anything you all would recommend trying before re-committing to PS?

Thanks.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Default Re: Poivre Samarcande - Alternate Suggestions?

I don't suppose it would hurt to give the Ormande Jayne Frags a sniff......Isfarkand and Ormonde Man..........I find them very nice 'n peppery....

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestion, Str8. I have sampled both of those. They weren't quite my cup of pepper, tho.
    Brent

Basenotes Institution

I also recommend Ormonde Man by Ormande Jayne. I tried it last week for the 1st time, and the first fragrance analogy that popped into my head was Poivre Samarcande by Hermes. PS has a little leather in the base notes, that OJ does not. But the part of PS I really love the most is the formal, realistic yet subtle pepper - and I found OM executes it's spice in the same minimal style. Plus the extremely subtle aoud in OJ compliments the spices rather than overtakes them (like some of the Montale's do). Highly recommended!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I personally haven’t found a cheaper alternative to PS. I’m sure Romeo Gigli Man will be suggested by some. I found out about it while on a similar quest as Hoos.

I hated it. To me it smelled harsh and very perfume-y. It did have prominent pepper + woods though. Poivre Samarkande on the other hand is a lovely subtle peppery presence that feels very natural (although the raw materials most likely are not) and lasts a long time on me.

But the good thing about Romeo Gigli Man is that it is cheap, so you might want to try it despite my bad vibes.

Trumper's Eucris has a strong peppery thing going on, even if it's not in the official notes.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The closest relative IMO would be Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan. Another great peppery scent is Navegar by L'Artisan (pepper & lime).

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the suggestion. I'll keep my eyes open for the Romeo Gigli Man at the discount stores.

If the local Hermes store doesn't have the small bottle of Samarcande, I'll head up to Barney's and sample the Poivre Piquant. Sounds intriguing. Navegar is a great frag and I have a bottle. But Navegar lacks the pepper punch of Samarcande. At least on my skin.
    Brent

Basenotes Institution

Have you smelled Piper Nigrum by Villoresi?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Piper Nigrum by Villoresi?
    You know, I am expecting a sample set of Villoresis, one of which is Piper Nigrum . This had completely slipped my mind.

I also like The Different Company's Sens et Bois. This is close to but more ephemeral than the Samarcande, but Sens et Bois has a more playful life: the pepper is there, muted by some incense, and every once in a while a whiff of violet. It's actually a very nice frag.
    Brent