Code of Conduct

Thread: Lavender

Default Lavender

Hey,

This may sound a little bit weird since I have about 20ml of Yardley English Lavender left, but I'm already worried about it finishing. I love Lavender. I think it's perfect for both summer and winter. it has this wonderful soothing scent. Unfortunately I've never really noticed it before I further delved into scents and fragrances. Most houses nowadays seem to dish out the usual synthetic rubbish, which is not so easy on the nose and which at times stinks. I love Yardley's "English Lavender" - however Yardley is not very esy to find round here

I was wondering whether anyone could recommend more lavender-based scents (preferable non-niche since it's easier for me to get).

Thanks!
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Default Re: Lavender

Maybe "Offrez-lui" from Galimard in Grasse.
    They should have a web site from which you can order it.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I like Acqua di Parma's Lavande Tonica....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme 20

Lavender personified......to me, it literally feels like you just took freshly cleaned laundry out from the drier.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Question Re: Lavender

...which reminds me, why don't I see Yardley in the drugstores anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

I know you've said preferably non niche, but lemme post these anyway :

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver : Beautiful vetiver scent with lavender somewhat prominent in the top and base notes.

Parfum d'Empire Fougere Bengale : Very beautifully done Lavender here with added Vanilla, Tonka, Tobacco and Geranium.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender.

I've heard a lot of good things about Caldey Island Lavender Water, but I haven't tried it myself. One who loves lavender (which I don't) might find the price to be to their liking: http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/shop/caba449.htm

Here is a link to a review some guy wrote: http://tinyurl.com/5qr963
    Last edited by shifts; 18th June 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added a link

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about Caldey Island Lavender Water, but I haven't tried it myself. One who loves lavender (which I don't) might find the price to be to their liking: http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/shop/caba449.htm

Here is a link to a review some guy wrote: http://tinyurl.com/5qr963
    Shifts beat me to it - I was going to say this. Lovely and very affordable stuff. I wore some before bed last night, and floated away comfortably with whiffs of this wonderful and very natural lavender note. I will also mention that Lavender Water features a very sturdy musk note, under the lavender. It's quite unmistakeable (even to my nose, and I'm anosmic to certain musks) and I think it supports the lavender note quite nicely, but if you hate musk then steer clear of this.

Another great lavender (not quite as affordable): Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Pure natural lavender: Annick Goutal Eau de Lavande
    Silky smooth lavender: Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    Smoky, sweet lavender: Serge Lutens Griss Clair

And the classic one: Caron Pour un Homme , vanilla, Play-Doh, lavender
    Last edited by eric; 18th June 2008 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Caron Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Two lavender fragrances that I have tried and are really great for intense lavender purity.

Encens Lavande by Serge Lutens - impossible to find in the US but can be ordered in Europe.
    Czech and Speake, Oxford & Cambridge - nice very pure almost medicinal lavender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I know you've said preferably non niche, but lemme post these anyway :

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver : Beautiful vetiver scent with lavender somewhat prominent in the top and base notes.

Parfum d'Empire Fougere Bengale : Very beautifully done Lavender here with added Vanilla, Tonka, Tobacco and Geranium.

Look out javagreen we're batting 100 today. The first thing that came to my mind was my favorite lavender, Fougere Bengale - a boozy spiced up lavender. The other is Cadley Island, which is a nice, nice lavender, but too boring for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I have not yet tried Oxford & Cambridge, but the best masculine lavender I know is Creeds Royal Scottish.
    Caldey is great value for money if you want a straight version.
    For a soft lavender, de Nicolai's Haute Provence is a good one, and I just reviewed the beautiful Ulysse by Ligne St. Barth. For lavender, looking for oils or dilutions at organic/health stores can be very rewarding, there are many small producers who make charming stuff.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Trumpers
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Caron 3rd Man for a darker take on lavender. I'd also recommend Eau de L'Occitan & Lancome Hypnose Homme.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately I don't know many non-niche lavenders. Caron Pour un Homme would be closest I think, very nice blend with vanilla, a bit more on the herbal side. i Profumi di Firenze Terra di Siena is another nice lavender vanilla, somewhat more feminine, perhaps a bit minty (?) - smells just like those Lavender Vanilla dryer sheets.

Encens et Lavande (Paris exclusive) and Gris Clair (export) are both superb. E&L is just what it says; reminds me strongly of church (not least because I've taken to wearing it there, because it's so meditative and appropriate). Gris Clair is a smooth, supple lavender, slightly sweet due to the tonka bean, and very much puts me in mind of light grey clouds and incense ashes.
    Last edited by kopah; 19th June 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I can't believe I'm pushing a Serge Lutens frag, since that's a house I generally think is over-rated and overpriced, but Gris Clair is by far my favorite lavender. I know the request was for non-niche, but if lavender is really your thing, you should get the best. I also agree with others about the quality of the Creed one and Caron's offerings, but my (distant) second choice would be Lorenzo Villoresi's Wild Lavender, which is not available in the US, but is easily and inexpensively importable from The Perfume Shoppe in Canada online. (I very much love the LV Vetiver, which has already been recommended by someone else, but it's not a strongly lavender scent the way the other ones we're discussing are.)

What a cool thread! I love the smell of lavender as well.

I recently bought Cool Water [and am wearing it now] because of the lavender. Smells great!

I JUST bought Caldey Island Lavender Water and am thinking about purchasing Caron Pour Homme next...

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Perry Ellis Reserve? That's a great lavender-based frag, with some underlying musk and woods. But the lavender is very prominent and manages to remain masculine. I love the stuff. When it runs out, I'm buying a bigger bottle than my little 1oz.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 19th June 2008 at 12:52 AM.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    For lavender, looking for oils or dilutions at organic/health stores can be very rewarding, there are many small producers who make charming stuff.
    I second this...Lavender essential oil is very affordable and widely available because it is one of the most popular oils for aromatherapy and natural skin remedies (eucalyptus and tea tree are two others).

Lavender essential oil can be used full strength on the skin by most people, and if the oil is a high quality one, it will smell great. The only other oil that can be used full strength is Tea Tree, but it smells very medicinal, so it is not as aesthetically pleasing to wear as a scent.

In addition, lavender bath and body products are great--L'Occitane and Mistral have wonderful lavender scented soaps, lotions, etc. I do not like the Crabtree & Evelyn lavender products as much as L'O and Mistral as it smells a bit more synthetic to me.
    Last edited by Asha; 19th June 2008 at 03:31 AM.

Anyone tried Hermessence Brin de Reglisse? Underneath the anisseed, there is one of the most beautifull lavander smell i know...

No one mentioned Atkinson's English Lavender, which is very fine and very reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne pour homme is a lavender fest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Lavender

LES PLUS BELLES LAVANDES by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I second this...Lavender essential oil is very affordable and widely available because it is one of the most popular oils for aromatherapy and natural skin remedies (eucalyptus and tea tree are two others).

Lavender essential oil can be used full strength on the skin by most people, and if the oil is a high quality one, it will smell great. The only other oil that can be used full strength is Tea Tree, but it smells very medicinal, so it is not as aesthetically pleasing to wear as a scent.

In addition, lavender bath and body products are great--L'Occitane and Mistral have wonderful lavender scented soaps, lotions, etc. I do not like the Crabtree & Evelyn lavender products as much as L'O and Mistral as it smells a bit more synthetic to me.
    I think this is a very sensible way to go.

Lavender essential oils are much more rounded as fragrances than some perfumes are. I notice there have been some recommendations for Pour Un Homme by Caron. I sold my bottle of this because I couldn't live with the violent assault on the nostrils which came from what I feel is an overly harsh and astringent lavender opening (plus I find the vanilla ending sickly sweet).
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Thanks! I've got samples of LV's Vetiver and Wild Lavender - so I shall be trying those. I'll also try and get samples/decants of the other recommended scents. I'm starting to think that you can never have too much lavender.

The Caldey Island Lavender sounds fantastic too and I have a feeling this is something I'd usually go for.

The idea of natural essential oils is also something I'd try. Sometimes there's nothing better than the real thing - undiluted and pure.
    A

and

Post Thanks / Like

It may be of interest for you to know that Yardley's English Lavender is sold fairly cheaply down here in Australia in just about every chemist shop for about A$20 for a 100ml bottle, and then often is on sale for only $12 a bottle. It's a more unisex scent than most similar lavenders - my wife thinks it's more feminine than masculine.

Sharper, more masculine lavenders in the same raw style as the Yardley's one include Atkinson's English Lavender and the more expensive Aqua Di Parma Lavenda Tonica.

My favourite designer lavender scents, which are more refined/less raw than the above three, are Lanvin L'Homme and Azzaro Pure Lavender (but it's not really pure lavender).
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 19th June 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Yardley have a really nice range! Are they so easily available in Australia? I've rarely seen them here.
    A

and

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think this is a very sensible way to go.

Lavender essential oils are much more rounded as fragrances than some perfumes are. I notice there have been some recommendations for Pour Un Homme by Caron. I sold my bottle of this because I couldn't live with the violent assault on the nostrils which came from what I feel is an overly harsh and astringent lavender opening (plus I find the vanilla ending sickly sweet).
    HDS, I also get that "nostril searing" from Caron pour un Homme. However, think it is a genetic abnormality--what I say smells like a sharp ammonia, others cannot detect!

For a non-violent version of a very similar scent (i.e., lavender vanilla), By Killian A Taste of Heaven is great, although very expensive. And, there is always one of my favorites--Jicky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    Thanks Yardley have a really nice range! Are they so easily available in Australia? I've rarely seen them here.
    I don't know why, but we have more Yardley stuff in Chemist shops down here, than what Yardley have on their British website. From my other postings, it became obvious that they're not commonly available in the US either.

As I said, it's often on sale - I bought big 250ml splash bottles of Yardley's Sandawood and Yardley's English Fine Cologne for $13 each. A 100ml spray bottle of Imperial Vetiver for $10, and seven or eight 50ml tester bottles of English Lavender for $2 each. I've given most of these away as presents, but have a bottle of the lavender permanently in my car.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    LES PLUS BELLES LAVANDES by Caron
    ...but where can you try or buy this?

Also, how does it compare to PuH? The note structures look VERY similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't know why, but we have more Yardley stuff in Chemist shops down here, than what Yardley have on their British website. From my other postings, it became obvious that they're not commonly available in the US either.

As I said, it's often on sale - I bought big 250ml splash bottles of Yardley's Sandawood and Yardley's English Fine Cologne for $13 each. A 100ml spray bottle of Imperial Vetiver for $10, and seven or eight 50ml tester bottles of English Lavender for $2 each. I've given most of these away as presents, but have a bottle of the lavender permanently in my car.
    Renato
    Wow 250ml of both Sandalwood and English Fine Cologne?! I actually haven't heard of any of these fragrances but they sound really nice. For some strange reason I really like Yardley's range.

Their website isn't very helpful. It only lists part of their range.
    A

and

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

The lavender blooms are flowering like crazy outside my window here, and at dusk when the wind picks up the aroma and carries it through the house, the scent is unbelievable!

When I lived in Australia, I discovered my favorite Lavender scent:

Post Thanks / Like

"Caron pour un Homme" by Caron if you want an inexpensive full fragrance (my current favorite fragrance!)
    "Caldey Island" if you want a holographic lavender (I do understand the musk - reminds me of a traditional citrus cologne, but with lavender rather than citrus)
    "Taste of Heaven" by Kilian if you want a very expensive smelling fragrance that is like a rich relation to Caron's offering, or if you find Caron too astringent!
    "Jicky" by Guerlain if you like Civet with your Lavender
    "Hypnose Homme" if you want a (well done) synthetic lavender
    Royal Scottish Lavender" by Creed if you want Creed's take on Lavender
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 19th June 2008 at 09:02 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

If you want lavender, and lavender only, Caldey Islands Lavender Water by monk bros is the one to go.

For best incensy lavender: Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande. Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh is a close second (clear lavender top, with a base of high quality incense).

For best old world ambery lavender: Creed Royal Scottish Lavender. Others in this category: Caron pour homme (simpler, unbalanced to my nose: too heavy on vanilla) and Villoresi Wild Lavender (similar to Royal Scottish Lavender in its use of clove and vanilla, but spicier and less coherent with a less striking lavender note).

For best butt-crack lavender : Guerlain Jicky, for its expert use of civet under a lavender top.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    ...but where can you try or buy this?

Also, how does it compare to PuH? The note structures look VERY similar.
    I have got mine ( 1000 ml ) at Caron Av. Montaigne, in Paris. It is the pure Lavander, an Eau de Cologne, very good for hot days.
    POUR UN HOMME is EdT, more intense than LPBL , the amber and vanilla notes are much more noticeable in POUR UN HOMME, at least on my skin.They are both very very good...

Post Thanks / Like

if you are lookin for somethin inexpensive...KL Photo could be an option...the benzoin content makes it a lil darker, but the intial blast to midnotes maybe just what you were looking for....

also, Pure Lavande by Azzaro, its true to the smell of lavender, but may come across a lil awkward and synthetic...but this one grows on you with each wear...not one of my fav's but definteily for anyone who appreciates lavender. a misrepresented scent and an underrrated one too.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    I have got mine ( 1000 ml ) at Caron Av. Montaigne, in Paris. It is the pure Lavander, an Eau de Cologne, very good for hot days.
    POUR UN HOMME is EdT, more intense than LPBL , the amber and vanilla notes are much more noticeable in POUR UN HOMME, at least on my skin.They are both very very good...
    WOW! 1000ml!!!

The above suggestions sound all so brilliant!
    A

and

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    WOW! 1000ml!!!

The above suggestions sound all so brilliant!
    You can got it shortly, calling to CARON, in Paris, tel. 33 1 472 340 82, Mme Naïma AL-SAADI. They are very nice people and there will be no problem to send it within the Europen Union

I guess my obsession with Lavender has got to stop! I just got a DVD called "Ladies in Lavender" (probably the Lavender has nothing to do with the story line) and I've decided to get a whole range of Lavender soaps, shower gels, bath foams, talc and drawer liners. It's just the most relaxing and (I dare say) fresh scents around!
    A

and

Try "Scottish Lavender" by Monotheme

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Paco Rabanne pour homme is a lavender fest.
    I have just tried this, the rosemary/sage opening is very harsh before you get the the lavender, but I was pleasently surprised..