Code of Conduct

Default vBulletin message: This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches.

vBulletin Message
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 30 seconds.

For at least the last two weeks I get this message when I simply go from the Community Board to 'Today's Posts' under the Quick Links Menu. This never happened before
    When the server is busy (in the European afternoon), it is not unusual that by the time the 30 seconds have passed and I try again, I get the same message over and over again.

Am I the only one with problems?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: vBulletin message: This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Am I the only one with problems?
    No. I've been getting it since the board's noticeable speed increase.

I'm using IE 6 and have browser events coupled to sounds (for instance, certain links i click on produce a "click" sound from my speakers). Many times when I click the Today's Posts link, I get TWO distinct click sounds which means either i physically clicked the link twice (which I'm sure is NOT the case 99% of the time) or the code behind the page/link has interpreted my single click as two clicks. This in turn is causing the search engine to determine that i have performed two searches within a 30-second period, hence the search error message.

In simpler terms, Basenotes thinks you hit the Today's Posts link twice even though you most likely did not.

I haven't tried using firefox to see if i get the same results because this was not happening with IE6 before the latest noticeable upgrade/speed-increase so I'm POSITIVE it's a problem with the link/page.

I would have eventually complained about this but I thought i would give it a chance to get worked out since Grant is still doing additional work on the site.

Workaround 1 (for IE6 - will be similar for other browsers): Click on the Quick Links menu, right-click on the Today's Posts link to get a browser pop-up context menu, select Copy shortcut (copies http://community.basenotes.net/search.php?do=getdaily to your clipboard memory), then paste the copied URL to your browser address box and hit Enter or Go.

Workaround 2: Create a shortcut on your desktop or a bookmark of this URL: http://community.basenotes.net/search.php?do=getdaily Then just click on it instead of the Today's Post link to query recent (today's) posts.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 19th June 2008 at 08:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: vBulletin message: This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches.

I don't have this problem with Firefox 2 or 3. It would be annoying. I hate waiting 30 seconds between checking "New Posts" and doing a search for something else. Some frag/description will be mentioned in a post and, naturally, I need to see what the reviews say. Alas, 30 seconds must be spent on other fora until my needs can be met.

But I understand why it's done and am absolutely happy with it. The little kid in me does have the occasional tantrum, though.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

MadScientist, you are a genius!!

Workaround 2 is working splendid and the computer is now safe for my impatient outbursts. Thank you very much for your help.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    MadScientist, you are a genius!!

Workaround 2 is working splendid and the computer is now safe for my impatient outbursts. Thank you very much for your help.
    Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I haven't tried using firefox to see if i get the same results because this was not happening with IE6 before the latest noticeable upgrade/speed-increase so I'm POSITIVE it's a problem with the link/page.
    I'm not so positive any more. Like Hoos, I can't duplicate the problem in Firefox 2.0.0.11.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 19th June 2008 at 08:42 PM.

Last edited by MadScientist; 23rd June 2008 at 05:04 PM.