Code of Conduct

Default Only one bottle from Paris

Next month I'm going to Paris on vacation and would like to buy some perfume. The thing is, that as I won't be checking in my luggage, I'll only be able to carry one bottle (maximum two) as hand luggage. I have such a list of possibilities that I don't know what to choose. What would you buy? Perhaps you can help me make up my mind.

So far I'm thinking of: Serge Lutens' Bois de Violette / Iris Silver Mist / Borneo 1834
    a special Guerlain, Bois d'Armenie / Sous le Vent...
    a Montale (?)

Default Re: Only one bottle from Paris

I'd think to something exclusively sold in parisian boutiques so not a montale which you can find around also. A Lutens (Bois violette and Borneo sound excellent choices btw) or a Guerlain (again excellent choices, I suggest you to try Vega too) sound good. But also maybe other exclusive brands...

The Chanel Excusifs line comes to mind--although not exclusive to Paris, they are exclusive to the Chanel Boutiques, one of which is surely there
    Last edited by Asha; 19th June 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Definitely a bell jar of non-export Serge Lutens! Sarrasins...?

Definitely Iris Silver Mist.

You can get special Guerlain's in Canada/US, ditto for Chanel, and Montale is carried here and will ship directly from Paris if you wish.

Does the air carrier have restrictions on liquid? Anyway - good luck - I don't have any suggestions beyond those already made, though I would be partial to some exclusive line in GUerlain or Serge Lutens (Serge Lutens export line I am not really fond of as a line save Dame Blond, but the stuff only at the boutique in Paris has some really great ones. BdV and Borneo 1834 are both wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Next month I'm going to Paris on vacation and would like to buy some perfume. The thing is, that as I won't be checking in my luggage, I'll only be able to carry one bottle (maximum two) as hand luggage. I have such a list of possibilities that I don't know what to choose. What would you buy? Perhaps you can help me make up my mind.

So far I'm thinking of: Serge Lutens' Bois de Violette / Iris Silver Mist / Borneo 1834
    a Montale (?)
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Blog Entries

European (and Canadian and, I think., U.S.) air carriers all have the same restrictions on liquids:

1. You can only bring on liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres.
    2. These containers must be carried in a transparent plastic bag.
    3. There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.
    4. The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre [this means 8in x 8in, 20cm x 20cm]
    5. The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.

Although I haven't tested this, I suspect you might get two boxed bell jars into such a bag, and maybe another long, thin box on top of that. I'm not sure why you're panicking, though - Guerlain and Montale should ship to Spain, and Serge Lutens does for sure, although it will be more expensive than buying it yourself. The only one I know which is absolutely impossible to buy outside of Paris (although I'm sure there are others) is Le Labo Vanille 44, which is only sold at Colette.

If you already have a perfume that you love which is hard to find outside Paris, get that one. Otherwise, I might suggest using the opportunity to try a few new things that would be very hard to find outside of Paris, and then if you love one, get it. If you don't find anything new that you love, you can still get something old that you love.

Bois d'Armenie isn't sold exclusively in Paris - they had it at the Toronto boutique, when I was there in February.
    Last edited by kopah; 19th June 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Thank you so much for your advice. I see that Serge Lutens seems to be the winner. However, I completely forgot about checking in Colette. You're right, Kopah, I must go there and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post

a Montale (?)
    Are you sure you are allowed to carry one or two bottles???? I go to Paris many times but i can not carry ( it is the law ) any bottles of perfume as hand luggage. Only in the normal luggage...i am sure bacause i know it by my own experience !!!

Read your information on travel papers first very well, flying away and arriving in your own country may be different rules, cause each airport has some own rules.

So far I know you can't carry it in hand luggage, only what you buy sealed at the airport.

Hope you can get some, I loved to buy perfume when I made trips, but was befor new rules, had memories from everywhere.
    Last edited by ydee; 23rd June 2008 at 05:31 PM.

And even if you are allowed to carry two, you can send yourself many more by mail from Paris ... I mean, just in case ...

Blog Entries

That's a good point, kitz. Buy up a big ol' crate of Lutens and then sell them on eBay to desperate Americans at ludicrous prices. Anyone know what the official EU stance on mailing perfume is?

By the way, do we have any members living in Paris? I am imagining that we do but they are staying quiet about it
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

Talking Re: Only one bottle from Paris

I just checked the Colette site and found out that you can have Le Labo perfumes sent. Divine sends them from their site as well. So does P. de NicolaÏ, Montale, Frederic Malle and Serge Lutens. Well, the choice is a problem that's nice having. I'll have to walk around sniffing my way till I (probably get tired and ) make up my mind. Or I'll go straight to the Guerlains I cannot find here.

I have just returned from France, and will add this consideration to your choice. Buying perfume is creating memories of where you were and who you were and so many more things. Each time you wear your purchase, you will delight in these memories.
    I found my experience at the Guerlain shop on Champs Elysees to be transformative. It was beautiful, lush, elegant, opulent. The SA was friendly, helpful, not overbearing. There is so much beauty. Every time that I wear one of my purchases, I will remember all of this.
    I am certainly happy to own my bell jar, but the SL shop was grim. The interior is dark, cold, and sleek. The SA was indifferent. One does not want to linger at all here.
    It isn't always just about the juice.

Therese, I think you're right. I'll follow your example.