Code of Conduct

Question Help on Incense Please

I'm looking for your help, please.

I'm hooked on incense scents, and I would love your suggestions on which ones I should try next.

I own (and mostly love) the following incense-based scents:

The entire CdG incense series (Avignon and Jaisalmer are my favourites)
    CdG Man 2
    CdG Monocle Hinoki
    Gucci PH
    Matthew Williamson Collection: Incense
    l'Air Desert Moroccan
    Black Tourmaline
    Vendetta PH
    Tumulte PH
    Sander for Men
    Black Cashmere
    Fracas for Men

I have samples of the following, and may well go 'full bottle' on one or two:

Amouage XXV
    Encens & Bubblegum
    Incense Extreme
    Incense Rose

I am on the hunt for Messe de Minuit, Timbuktu and Givenchy's Insense.

What other scents should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Help on Incense Please

I would suggest trying Bond Andy Warhol Silver Factory.

I am not fond of too many Bond fragrances - but I love this one!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th June 2008 at 10:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The most important one you're missing is L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer. You should also add Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi to your list of things to sample. I love incense frags and my favorite two out of the four CdG Incense line are the same as yours, so we might have similar tastes.

You've got a great collection. Jaisalmer is my favorite CdG incense too.

From niche houses, although not favorites of mine, you should check out:
    L'Artisan: Passage d'Enfer
    Heeley: Cardinal
    These are very "cold" to me.

From designers, and absolutely great, I would recommend:
    Azzaro Visit
    Cacharel Nemo

This may be a good place to bring something up relating to "incense." Some "incense frags" smell like a bunch of old smelly people in a church (Visit and Memoire d'Homme), while others are more woody and aromatic (Tumulte and Gucci PH to a lesser degree, which at least does not have the smelly old people thing going on). Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks.

Biehl Parfumkunstwerke MB03 is one I would certainly recommend trying (even if it's probably a nightmare to pronounce).

Many excellent suggestions so far.

Let me add:
    Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh
    Juozas Statkevicius
    Romeo Gigli per Uomo
    Winter Star
    Monk
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Givenchy's Insensé has nothing to do with incense. It's a floral and the name means "insane" in French.

Costes by Hotel Costes is a must. A very laid back, sweet, comfort incense
    As mentioned, Incensi by Villoresi - not at all typical, soft, cinnamon notes
    I also quite like DSH Sandalo Inspiritu - sandalwood & incense, very clear and wonderful.

If you dig rose&incense, try Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose, Domenico Caraceni and Caron Parfum Sacré

Also, check this out, if you haven't already:
    http://amentalnote.blogspot.com/2005...rfumes_04.html
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

First of all let me say you already have a great collection of incense fragrances! Incense fragrances are some of my favorites too. It will be hard to improve on those you already own. People think of incense in many different interpretations. Some people think frankincense, some think Nag Champa, and for others it must have smoke too but the fact is incense can have all sorts of flavors and directions. Even in stick incense you see all varieties from sandalwood, patchouli, to musks, sage, frankincense, agarwood and mixes of any of these with flowers and spices. Almost all incense fragrances get their charm from the vaporous mix that creates a kind transparency from the burning resins. Here are a few ideas to try on incense fragrances.

Givenchy Insense, by the way is not really incense but a masculine floral whose name Insense translates from French as insane or madness showing the passion of the floral blend. An interesting fragrance, though not really incense. You also are looking for Messe De Minuit and I find this one to be more of a dark stoney vanilla scent that I don't associate with incense too much. I think Jubilation XXV is a spectacular incense fragrance but I find it very fleeting - sort of weak compared to other incense fragrances.

Two really good incense fragrances not on your list are Encens de Bois from Miller Harris and Let Me Play the Lion from Les Nez. Both are smokey wood resin incense fragrances with the Miller Harris EdB (created by Bertrand Duchafour) being the darker and drier smoke and burning resins incense, and LMPTL is more sun dried tall grass, shrubs and frankincense. Both are very really nice.

For heavy spice incense fragrances it's hard to beat Original Comme de Garcn EdP and for a lighter, more floral version of the same kind of thing - CdG White. I love the Luckyscent description of CdG EdP as "works like a medicine, behaves like a drug". It definitely has a healing quality about it. Czech and Speake's Frankincense and Myrrh is the best pure frankincense fragrance I've tried. Some other good frankincense fragrances are: Bois d' Encens from Armani Prive and Bois d' Ombrie from Eau d' Italie. I think LeLabo Vetiver 46 and Rose 31 both have lots of incense qualities to them. Even though labeled rose and vetiver they smell more of incense to me - maybe its just their transparency and combination of resinous elements. Villoresi Uomo also fits this mold of being very incensey although its not called that - L. Turin describes Uomo as a green masculine incense fragrance.

All are really good.

Wow !! .... Nemo an incense ?
    anyway I find nice incense in two budget frags I use
    Carlo Corinto & Pino Silvestre

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Tommy Bahama is another easily affordable fragrance with a pleasing incense note:

Notes include Pepper Sichuan, Elemi, Coriander, Bergamot, Sage, Incense, Caraway, Ginger Root, Patchouli, Vetiver, Musk, Guaiac Wood, Amber.

This fragrance smells, to my nose, like a less aggressive version of Gucci p.h., and it has very good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    I'm looking for your help, please.

I'm hooked on incense scents, and I would love your suggestions on which ones I should try next.

I own (and mostly love) the following incense-based scents:

The entire CdG incense series (Avignon and Jaisalmer are my favourites)
    CdG Man 2
    CdG Monocle Hinoki
    Gucci PH
    Matthew Williamson Collection: Incense
    l'Air Desert Moroccan
    Black Tourmaline
    Vendetta PH
    Tumulte PH
    Sander for Men
    Black Cashmere
    Fracas for Men

I have samples of the following, and may well go 'full bottle' on one or two:

Amouage XXV
    Encens & Bubblegum
    Incense Extreme
    Incense Rose

I am on the hunt for Messe de Minuit, Timbuktu and Givenchy's Insense.

What other scents should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance!
    Nice to see some else with Black Tourmaline in their wardrobe. Two heavy duty must sanples IMO.

Rien - Etat Libre d'Orange -
    Incense - Norma Kamali

YSL NU edp: androgynous floral incense.

Annick Goutal's recent Encens Flamboyant, part of the house's Les Orientalistes collection, is a very wearable incense. Myrrhe Ardente is worth trying too and is my favourite of this collection.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh
    Profumum Olibanum

Adding these two super fragrances will complete your collection.
    -

Thumbs up Re: Help on Incense Please

Thanks to all of you for the terrific suggestions. My 'wants' list has just grown by a huge amount. I'm really looking forward to trying all of them.

I have a feeling some of these fragrances will be hard to source...but that's half the fun. The search continues!

JA

PS I did a search of the directory using 'incense' as a note, and the results also threw up some of the Kouros range - the orginial, Body and Tattoo Collector. I have all three, but don't really get incense out of any of them. (Body Kouros, maybe, at a stretch.)

I also see several fragrances in the suggestions above which don't appear in the search results, which is why the BN Community is so terrific. Thanks again...

I have always thought that inscence is one of the few notes that truly justifies niche prices. Then I discovered Tumulte

Kenzo fragrances have some weird incense smell.

Devine L’homme sage
    Costes
    Marc Birley (as a secondary note)
    Several of the Parfumerie Generale: Bois Blond, L'Ombre Fauve...
    Timbuktu (Oh I see you are getting that one)
    Profumum Olibanum
    Last edited by irish; 23rd June 2008 at 03:14 PM.

Forgot to list two other fragrances I own:

Eau Lente - Dyptique
    Eau d'Iparie - l'Occitane

The former is both brawny and serene. The latter is odd, but compelling (and very good value for money).

Thanks again for all the recs. My list grows longer...

Speaking of l"Occitane, their Eau des Baux is a wonderful incense scent--definitley one to add to your list!

Basenotes Institution

I agree with zz - please try Olibanum by Profumum. It's everything that you love about Avignon, just even more lovely.

Don't forget about Rush for Men by Gucci. Think of it as a more lighthearted and tenacious brother of Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan, which got a lot of recommendations above. Plus the plastic Ipod looking bottle is cool.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I must add Miller et Bertaux No. 2 Spiritus/Land to your recommendations list. I had almost dismissed the fragrance as just another Incense fragrance based on the way it smelled on my skin for the first.... 10 seconds. It quickly morphs into a different animal altogether. It takes the CDG 2 theme and adds a potpourri of Tobacco, Ginger and a few deep green spices to the mix. Again, one of the best Incense frags i've ever smelled. Definitely an elevated version of CDG2 and a must try. A warning though : It's addictive as hell!.

Also read my review on another Incense masterpiece The Different Company des Sens et Bois HERE.

Also, read about my first impressions of M. Micallef's Black Sea HERE.

Finally, I completely agree on the Annick Goutal : Encens Flamboyant, Olivier Durbano : Black Tourmaline and Profumum : Olibanum recommendations
    Last edited by Amit; 20th June 2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: had missed the goutal

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I will try all of these recommendations. I have a list of 36 (!) to pursue...

That's going to keep me busy and my credit card humming for a long time, I suspect...

Favorites mentioned so far:
    Encens Flamboyant, Silver Factory, Black Sea

Favorites not mentioned:
    Oliver Durbano - Rock Crystal
    Serge Lutens - Encens et Lavande (I wear it today)
    Last edited by pelle; 23rd June 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Many excellent suggestions so far.

Let me add:

Juozas Statkevicius

Winter Star

Hi TwoRoads,

Can you tell me who makes Winter Star please?

And any suggestions where I might find the Jouzas Statkevicius?

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    Hi TwoRoads,

Can you tell me who makes Winter Star please?

And any suggestions where I might find the Jouzas Statkevicius?

Thanks in advance...

Michael Storer is the daddy of Winter Star
    and
    You can find Josef Statkus at luckyscent.com

I am not Two Roads by a longshot, but thought I would respond. Two Roads is my idol, seriously.

Tibetan Mountain Temple ... not sure of the maker or quality of this one

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I second Mike on Gucci Rush - but be quick, it's discontinued and disappearing quickly.
    Renato