Code of Conduct

Default top 5 most overplayed?

Ok, what's the most popular/overplayed fragrances out there, overall, for men. Drugstore, everything... which ones sell the best? Top 5. Let's break it down by casual and evening wear, too, if we could.

This is sort of an extension of my pheromones + frags thread... I'm looking to just see which fragrances you don't want to wear if you want to avoid screaming "I wear whatever the magazine ads/TV commercials tell me/whatever the wife puts under the tree" with your fragrance/cologne. That sort of thing. I'm reminded of the scene in Red Dragon where Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lechter asks Edward Norton's character if he wears the stuff with the little ship on the bottle, something " a child would wear".

Not even bad fragrances, necessarily, I just want your opinion of ones that are overplayed. I think Cool Water is pretty good actually, just overplayed and everybody wears it. Acqua di Gio, again, is good, but even more people wear it. So, let's hear it, quid pro quo...
    Last edited by Magnulus; 20th June 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Default Re: top 5 most overplayed?

This has been done, and it got kinda messy.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=overrated
    Last edited by Anthony87; 20th June 2008 at 08:43 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Interesting thread... I think that's more discussing what's overrated than overplayed, though. I think what's overrated is highly subjective, but we can comment on what is overplayed more easily, or at least, the fragrances that are no longer really pushing the tastes of the masses (I'm sure at one time the fresh or aquatic scents would be a bit forward-looking).

I would never consider Acqua di Gio, Aramani Code, or Cool Water to be overrated. They are popular for a reason... they are decent and don't smell bad on most men ("clean and fresh" smells, which seem to be the buzzword now days). But they aren't so daring anymore. And A*Men certainly isn't "overrated" and I'd consider it a fairly brave fragrance, and not really overplayed at this point.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 20th June 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Gaultier's Le Mâle is in front of any competition, at least here in Sweden. An interesting smell, but so specific smelling I have a hard time grasping it became such a success. It puzzles me only more when I think about it. But being so specific is certainly a problem when going popular with the large crowd. It is so easy to pinpoint and therefore it certainly feels way overplayed.

On girls I'm not as sure, maybe Be Delicious by DKNY...

To answer your original question of what scents are most OVERPLAYED:

Acqua di Gio
    Cool Water
    Chrome
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    A*Men

in india , it has to be Cool water & Lomani it's availabe in oridinary greeting card stores too...

Here in Washington, DC I say that Le Mâle is overplayed too. There's a lot of it. There's also a lot of something very sandalwoody, like Egoiste, that I can't place. There used to be a lot of Body Kouros too, and a few years ago L'Eau d'Issey was very very painfully overplayed. Le Mâle seems to be above trend though, and just keeps truckin' on and on.

This gives me another thought. I saw at my local Sephora store (an American popular scent sales store) that they've taken to putting small red signs beside the displays of their best selling scents. "No. 1 selling scent" beside one, "No. 2..." and so on. How crazy is that? To me that says those are the ones to AVOID. Who wants to go out of the store pumped because a lot of men have already picked that fragrance to use for their meet market husstle? How nice that the store helps by TELLING you which of its scents are probably overplayed lately.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Here in Washington, DC I say that Le Mâle is overplayed too. There's a lot of it. There's also a lot of something very sandalwoody, like Egoiste, that I can't place. There used to be a lot of Body Kouros too, and a few years ago L'Eau d'Issey was very very painfully overplayed. Le Mâle seems to be above trend though, and just keeps truckin' on and on.

This gives me another thought. I saw at my local Sephora store (an American popular scent sales store) that they've taken to putting small red signs beside the displays of their best selling scents. "No. 1 selling scent" beside one, "No. 2..." and so on. How crazy is that? To me that says those are the ones to AVOID. Who wants to go out of the store pumped because a lot of men have already picked that fragrance to use for their meet market husstle? How nice that the store helps by TELLING you which of its scents are probably overplayed lately.
    --Chris
    I was in Sephora the other day and saw these signs in the men's fragrance section:

1. Acqua di Gio
    2. YSL L'Homme
    3. D&G Light Blue
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I was in Sephora the other day and saw these signs in the men's fragrance section:

1. Acqua di Gio
    2. YSL L'Homme
    3. D&G Light Blue
    I saw the same thing - I also noticed that ADG had 5-6 shelves in Sephora all to itself (most fragrances are stacked 3 per shelf). Like that Burr article people had their panties in a bunch about yesterday, it 'grinds out cash' for Armani. I'm surprised L'Homme is so popular, but I guess it is, An SA at my local Dillards says they can't keep in stock. At the local Macys the SA told me that Euphoria and Code are the fastest sellers.

Blog Entries

chrome
    code
    acqua di gio
    l'eau d'issey
    cool water

they arent all necessarily bad, just faaar too common.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Around here, Acqua di Gio, Euphoria Men, D&G Light Blue Pour Homme, Diesel Fuel for Life, and Angel Men sell a megaton at both Macy's and Von Maur. (Unforgivable did well for a while, but fell off the radar screen fast, as did Usher.)

One of the SAs at Macy's told me that AdG's following is like a "cult" around here, almost like Angel is among women... some men won't buy anything else, and they think that it's the best cologne out there. Even if Armani comes out with a new fragrance, they always come back to good ol' Acqua di Gio... talk about iron-clad loyalty.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blog Entries

Anything by Axe takes spots one through ten automatically on an overplayed list.
    Last edited by Hoos; 20th June 2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Over my teenage years (here in Thailand) - Davidoff Cool Water, Polo Sport/Blue, Armani White (at least four people at my high school used this!), CK One, Le Male
    Pre-teen scent of choice after P.E. class - Axe ________. (Insert anything: Atlantis, Africa, Gravity, etc) Local brand "Tros" isn't too far behind either.

Lately -- Sean John Unforgivable.

Last edited by moltening; 20th June 2008 at 07:16 PM.

I think that in my neck of the woods the most overplayed fragrances are:

1. Aqua di Gio
    2. Cool Water
    3. Polo Sport
    4. Hugo
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Adding to the list D&G pour homme, Lacoste, polo, Hugo anything.

Blog Entries

I remembered doing research online prior to purchasing scents. A Google search had me ending up at random sneaker communities and what not (which is mostly teens and younger college kids). Polo Double Black was a very popular choice.

Just to add my 2 cents.

First I want to add that I'm a person who does alot of wine research and loves wine. Not a wine snob in the least but I try new things, buy new things, etc, etc. I even took a break from my real work and for a month did some wine broker work. I still don't know as much as most wine pros..not even close but I know what I like and what is good to me. Just like there are good wine people there are wine snobs, etc and some things are overhyped.

Cologne seems to take on this same background after reading many sites. I've always tried many colognes. I like it though my wife finds it weird. I just started this past month of looking more into it...and coming here. I only knew what I liked and the basics.But I see such a wide range of knowledge and expression.

So with all that said and from what I've read on here I'll give you not what I find to be bad colognes or anything like that but what falls into the "really?" category with me..ones that I don't get that are praised like they are the nectar of gods. That might smell great on some..just not on me. These are ones I read here yet I was shocked at what I found because it didn't work for me. I ackowledge its chemistry.

Vetiver by Guerlein--Tried this for the first time last week. Initial spray was, well, insect repellant or flea dip. Initial drydown got worse. After a bit the drydown was more pleasant but nothing to give it the status I read about.

Terres d' Hermes--Strong.........strong...overwhelming. Just not me.

Gucci Envy--Read alot about it on the internet and was stunned at how much I didn't like it.

A*Men-Angel Men --wow, no clue how this is a winner. I really don't

Le Male--Le Pu

Versace Blue Jeans--One of my biggest disappointments. I read on multiple sites how this was so good but one spray really stunned me. I didn't like it though the drydown was a completely different cologne and made it "goodish."

Acqua di Gio--I own it but stopped using it long ago. At first I thought it smelled good but it is overplayed and now I don't even like it as much..almost a "poison" smell to it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 24th June 2008 at 03:23 PM.

For the last few years, every frat boy within a 100 mile radius of where I live has purchased the largest quantity of Victoria Secret Very Sexy for men that their expansive beer budget has allowed for, and then they bathe in it regularly.

Among REAL people, Polo Sport, Cool Water, and Acqua di Gio are the overly typical fragrances.

1. Acqua di Gio
    2. YSL L'Homme
    3. D&G Light Blue
    Damn it.
    I don't like it at all that L'Homme YSL is getting very popular.
    Girls really like it on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    every frat boy within a 100 mile radius of where I live has purchased the largest quantity of Victoria Secret Very Sexy for men that their expansive beer budget has allowed for, and then they bathe in it regularly.
    Funny.

In my city, L'eau d'Issey is everywhere. A gentleman in my church reeked of it yesterday. I later determined he was three rows in front of me!

Whenever I have to take a walk back to the Computer Tech. Dept. at work, I am overwhelmed by the fumes before I even round the corner.

I like L'eau d'Issey. I just don't like to feel as though I've been snorting it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Here at Penn State, I'd say the most overplayed (the ones everyone are wearing) are:

1) Acqua di Gio (fortunately dying off- this stuff was on *every* frat boy on campus)
    2) Code (Must be an Armani thing)
    3) Abercrombie Fierce (there's a big Abercrombie store in town, and everyone wants to smell like it)
    4) Various Axe scents, usually applied by assclowns who come into my store and spray it on themselves instead of buying it
    5) Unforgivable (fortunately it's going away, too. I wasn't able to wear MI for the longest time because of people telling me how much they love Unforgivable)

Blog Entries

1. Acqua di Gio
    2. YSL L'Homme
    3. D&G Light Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Damn it.
    I don't like it at all that L'Homme YSL is getting very popular.
    Girls really like it on me.
    Ditto. L'Homme is likeable, not my fave, but gets women's compliments like crazy. That's my theory on these scents - girls like them, guys know it, and they sell to both genders for that reason. When my wife bought AdG for me, she was with a girlfriend, the lady SA suggested it, they both liked it, so she bought it for me.

I wish I could address the casual-vs-evening thing, but I'm not sure there's actually a difference. Maybe more Axe in the day and more AdG at night. It sounds like AdG gets a lot of casual wear, though.

Polo Explorer is also getting a lot of SA push, and may be moving in sequence after Polo, Romance Silver, and Polo Double Black. My wife almost bought that one for me, but I tricked her into getting me Platinum Egoiste instead (she said "I like that one, too", so I jumped on it before she could change her mind).

Unforgivable is everybodys signature fragrance where I'm from I gave my bottle away thats how bad it is.

It seems the common thread through all those is Acqua di Gio, Cool Water, Armani Code.

Interesting you all mention A-Men. I've never smelled than on anybody where I live (near Orlando). I think Axe is very common. Men don't seem to wear as many colognes around here period. Axe is more common I suppose, often badly mis-applied. I have smelled Polo though around here, in fact I smelled a guy wearing Polo the other day. He was some flavor of septagenarian, using a bit much I'd say. Not horrible, just I could smell it from too far away.

I was actually thinknig of trying CK One, or (*gasp*) just buying the knockoff. I ordered the CK One Summer and Electric to try out in a decant vial, I'd love to try the regular stuff... I liked the smell of the knockoff at Walgreens well enough. It smelled fruity, but not overly sweet, and vaguely ambery/musky. I don't think I smell it too often on men. I think I could pull off a unisex fragrance on myself, I'm not hugely fond of really macho smells anyways.

My feeling is around here in Orlando if you wear anything beyond a body spray... you've already gone a notch above most everybody else. At least for men. Women seem to wear very sweet/fruity fragrances (and rather generously sometimes), which is odd considering we have some hot, hot weather sometimes.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 24th June 2008 at 05:37 AM.

It's so ironic that many people on here are complaining bitterly about perfumes being overplayed. If only many of the people I get into contact with on a daily basis would take a shower and overplay anything at all! In my daily experience, the only thing that gets overplayed is BODY ODOUR the source of which isn't only armpits, but let's not go there. Count your blessings, guys...