Code of Conduct

Thread: Which Gendarme?

Default Which Gendarme?

I'm looking at purchasing one of the Gendarme fragrances and I need help. Every spring I run into this problem - I am just really picky about fresh fragrances. My standards for hot weather are Bvlgari PH Extreme, Roger and Gallet's Green Tea, Eau de Hadrian, Odeur 53, and Vettiveru. But I find myself wanting to explore the Gendarme line, just because the original does fresh so well.

I owned the original Gendarme a few years ago and loved it. I have tried the EDP for men, known as Carriere in the women's version (same fragrance though...), and it is really just a more concentrated and pervasive version of the original. I would buy it over the original.

I have not tried Gendarme V, Gendarme 20, Gendarme Green, or Grabazzi. I tried Sky, and that initial bergamot opening just is not something I can enjoy. I am wary of Green because I generally shy away from vetiver, but if there are arguments for it, I would listen. (Except Vettiveru and VE, which I would buy if I could locate some...)

What do you think? Should I branch out to one of the other Gendarme's or should I stay with the EDP version of the original?

Thanks. And please, I am not asking for a list of your favorite fresh summer scents. We have been down that road many many times before.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Default Re: Which Gendarme?

For my money I would stick with the original or the EDP version of the original. But it comes down to personal taste. I think you may get samples of the other Gendarme's from their website. A small expense instead of a blind buy. I didn't care for Sky either. It smelled exactly like Gendarme(Seven Deadly Sins)Sloth in my opinion. But I really do like the original and EDP. I am curious about Green and even Mojo which I haven't sampled as of yet. Bottom line... get samples whenever possible. By the way, the Gendarme soap is very clean and fresh smelling too.

Sur la Plage

FYI

Not sure if they have any left, but a store in South Carolina was having 75&#37; off bottles of Gendarme 20 (< $20) - if you are interested in that one.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211703

I know Grabazzi has been discussed on the board recently. I am not familiar with it, but maybe those who are can weigh in with their opinions.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th June 2008 at 11:34 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

V has lots of nice vetiver and a healthy dose of civet. It's the "dirty" brother of the original Gendarme yet it still retains the accord of the original and never wanders too far and stays contained.
    I think V has more vetiver than Green. V is long lasting and has more sillage than the original.
    I highly recommend it but as stated above by Fragfan, the samples are 99 cents each on the website and well worth saving yourself from a potentially bad blind buy.

I agree with Evogel--V is very long lasting and has pretty good sillage. Green is sort of a herbal answer to Irish Spring. Gendarme 20 is Gendarme plus Lavender. Good, but the original is better. Grabazzi is the real unique one of the bunch; it just has this classy vibe to it, which doesn't seem right coming from a fragrance with a prominent cola note.

While I like the EDP version, I find it lacking some of the elements of the original Gendarme. The original has a unique ozone accord in the topnotes that isn't present in the EDP. I find the floral notes in the EDP are also a bit muted. I wish they can make an exact version of the original Gendarme in EDP.

Whatever happenned to their deadly sins line?

Cheers,
    Al

Slim pretty much said what i would have asked for in a new post. I was in high school and wore Gendarme original but there are so many flankers and I have tried none of them, basically slipped through the cracks of my interes. There is also not one place to try them all, that I have seen. I have read before that the EDP is the way to go but the above points out that the EDP lacks some character from the original. Anyone own or wear these have experience with the Gendarme and allllllllll its flankers ?

I'm looking at purchasing one of the Gendarme fragrances and I need help. Every spring I run into this problem - I am just really picky about fresh fragrances. My standards for hot weather are Bvlgari PH Extreme, Roger and Gallet's Green Tea, Eau de Hadrian, Odeur 53, and Vettiveru. But I find myself wanting to explore the Gendarme line, just because the original does fresh so well.

Only tried the original and unfortunately that cured me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    only tried the original and unfortunately that cured me.
    lol

Last edited by Giannino; 20th June 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    lol
    I've just purchased the original Gendarme, but it arrived in an EDC concentration. I assume there is also an EDT and EDP version?
    Regardless, having received this item, I'm slightly concerned I could have a fake (gut feeling).

There is a lot no. on the bottom of the bottle, but do you have any suggestions as to how I can ascertain whether I have the genuine article and also if this line does indeed come in an EDC?

Cheers...

I have the original formulation EDC and is a tad brighter than the EDP from my recollection. Regarding the lot #, I have G, EDC and V, EDC and neither have lot #'s on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I have the original formulation EDC and is a tad brighter than the EDP from my recollection. Regarding the lot #, I have G, EDC and V, EDC and neither have lot #'s on the bottom.
    Cheers for that.
    Mmm, I'm still at odds as to whether I've got a genuine product. The box was sealed etc, just looks a little shabby for a new item, plus there's no lot no. on the box, just the bottle.
    If I ever suspect a fragrance to be a fake, I tend not to use them - most frustrating as I've spayed a little on paper, and it would be perfect for summer.