Code of Conduct

Thread: Ikon by Zirh

Basenotes Institution

Default Ikon by Zirh

I heard that Zirh, the mens line of skin care products (that I am almost certain, is owned by Lauder) is coming out with a new mens fragrance named Ikon.

I thought the original Zirh was very boring, and the Corduroy that many recommended to me on my Cinnamon thread was just not what I wanted either - here's hoping the new fragrance is a little more...challenging.

Somehow I can't shake the fact that Ikon is also the name of office printers/faxes/scanners.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Ikon by Zirh

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I heard that Zirh, the mens line of skin care products (that I am almost certain, is owned by Lauder)
    Was owned by Shiseido, until about 1-2 years ago, where it was re-acquired by founder, Brian Robinson, so it now independenty owned.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Grant...that's good news.

-- Jack Kerouac

Saw ad in a magazine. Said it was available at Macy's, Bloomingdales, and Sephora. Anybody test it yet? The strip smelled like a spicier Corduroy. Hard to tell.

The ZIRH website (www.zirh.com) does not list Ikon under "fragrances." However, if you type it in the search field, you are directed to a page which tantalizingly mentions it as a new fragrance with a release date of September 2008. You may sign up for email notification regarding that.
    That's all I could glean at this point. I like the name, with its Greek spelling.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I heard that Zirh, the mens line of skin care products (that I am almost certain, is owned by Lauder) is coming out with a new mens fragrance named Ikon.

I thought the original Zirh was very boring, and the Corduroy that many recommended to me on my Cinnamon thread was just not what I wanted either - here's hoping the new fragrance is a little more...challenging.

Somehow I can't shake the fact that Ikon is also the name of office printers/faxes/scanners.

Gotta love that ink note as is found in Silver Mountain Water.
    Last edited by neal; 12th September 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Smelled this at Macy's from a sample bottle. From the little squirt that I smelled, it smelled very old-school, kind of piney and spicey. I wasn't too keen on it. Anyone else smell it yet?

MMMM piney and spicey, got to check it out. The nice SA where I see the high-end ZIRHs had sort of heard about it but didn't know if her store was going to get it. I hope so!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I tried it today and was impressed enough to consider getting a bottle. I will revisit in a couple of days.

I liked the ginger and citrus opening, but loved the vetiver and cedar dry down! I only partially agree that it is "old school". It seem to be a modern take on old school.

Since I already own a fair number of fragrances with dominant cedar and vetiver notes, I'll have to give this one some thought.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 22nd September 2008 at 11:08 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

How is the lasting ability on this fragrance? I recall Cordory was manufactured by ZIHR and it has no lasting ablitiy.

Basenotes Institution

If you're in NY this weekend, the 'face' of Ikon David Gandy (who also graced us in his speedos in the Light Blue Pour Homme ads) will be meeting and greeting fans at Bloomingdales 59th Street tomorrow (October 4th) from 1:00 to 3:00 pm.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th October 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    How is the lasting ability on this fragrance? I recall Cordory was manufactured by ZIHR and it has no lasting ablitiy.
    Anyone please jump in and answer......????

I got a sample of this today to try it out for a full day.

some of you may think I'm off the mark on this, but the dry down of Ikon is quite similar to Dunhill Edition. Looking at the pyramids for both I can see why.

They both have more than a few notes in common, especially those that are most prominent.

I'd be interested to see if others notice the similarities.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Well I got a sample. And -- for Canadians -- it is at Shopper's Drug Marts that have perfume boutiques (not all Shoppers stores have this).
    I like this, a lot. It is a medium-weight spicy incense. A bit rich but not sweet or heavy. Quite a smooth blend. I like the incense notes, and I love the woody dry-down.
    If this sounds appealing, check it out. It is in a cool black bottle, in two sizes.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 20th October 2008 at 12:59 PM.
    odysseusm

I saw it yesterday at Sephora. Unfortunately, there was no tester yet and it was quite busy so I felt guilty about asking them to unbox it for me, so I passed. Another day perhaps.

I've only smelled it from the tester ad in my new Men's Health. they say online Vetiver and Cedarwood but its hard to get it out of a magazine thing. It smells nice in the mag but really just non-descript. Light and smooth.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

TJMaxx has the box set already for $35. Still haven't got around to sampling it yet.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I wore it last week and it was very long lasting - yet I did find to very much like Azzaro Visit in its final stage.

I saw this at Sephora....I took a sniff and thought that it was a nice fragrance.....I don't need another nice fragrance.....If I had a smaller collection I might purchase one of these.....but not now.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    TJMaxx has the box set already for $35. Still haven't got around to sampling it yet.
    Wow, that is amazingly fast. It hasn't even found itself in most stores yet.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well I got a sample. And -- for Canadians -- it is at Shopper's Drug Marts that have perfume boutiques (not all Shoppers stores have this).
    I like this, a lot. It is a medium-weight spicy incense. A bit rich but not sweet or heavy. Quite a smooth blend. I like the incense notes, and I love the woody dry-down.
    If this sounds appealing, check it out. It is in a cool black bottle, in two sizes.
    Cheers,
    Hope it isn't too strange to quote myself but I wanted to post a second comment and I thought I'd do some self-reference. I tried it again today and I am liking it less. It is a pleasant sort of scent, but it seems quite generic in profile. Another semi-sweet, kinda rich, sorta ambery-buttery scent. The incense notes are not really anything noteworthy, in fact today I didn't really get any. It is smooth, I'll grant that. It is just that I like something distinctive, interesting and dry. And this has none of those qualities. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but I do urge people to try it and see for themselves.
    Cheers, again.
    odysseusm

It's much better than the previous Zirhs, both weak and bad. But Ikon has a certain olfactory-abrasive note. Other than that I like it much more than most designer/mall scents.

Picked this up today. Reminds of me of Halston Catalyst for Men & Dunhill Edition. Cloves & cinnamon heavy with Cedar for the base. Nice stuff.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Read a review of Ikon at the Perfume Posse blog:

http://perfumeposse.com/2008/11/25/more-manly-scents/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ...Ikon has a certain olfactory-abrasive note...
    Could this be the cardamon? Is the abrasiveness similar to Jaisalmer (Incense Series) by CdG?

-- Jack Kerouac

Could this be the cardamon? Is the abrasiveness similar to Jaisalmer (Incense Series) by CdG?
    There is a note in there that smells rancid to me. I've also smelled it heavily in Touch Sport by Fred Hayman and Versace Metal Jeans.

I'm not sure what it is, but luckily I only smell it in Ikon when I put my nose close to my skin. From a decent distance, it all blends quite nicely for me.

I rather enjoy the new Zirh. Ikon has a clean quality with a decidedly warm, black peppery, incense accord. Longevity isn't terrific but it doesn't completely disappear as fast as I thought it would according to other opinions.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Nah, I like Cardamom oil, I don't mean sharp or serrated green type abrasive, it's much lower in register, dull-oily-warm-hot-sandpaper abrasive...Hard to explain. Ikon has an abrasive synthetic wood, different than Tumulte's awful petrol-cedar, but I think it is another fake cedar possibly ? Not Sure.
    I believe the cool water game, or whichever the cactus-cool-water, as well as Hugo and Davidoff Adventure all feature this "abrasive"
    edit: THinking Cool Water Deep is the one which shares the abrasive.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 14th January 2009 at 05:30 AM.

Dependent

Perhaps the patchouli is the abrasive element to your nose. I think it's what makes Ikon nice and bold. Best cheapie I've ever tried!

Was never a fan of this line.

Zirh's are one of the few cheapie brands worth picking up.