Code of Conduct

Question Very New and in need of Major Guidance :)

This is my first time in years that I've had to find a new fragrance. I've worn Jess by Jessica McClintock for years, (over ten), and now I have no idea what to try and find that might be similar or good for me. My husband and I both love the scent of Jess on me; unfortunately, the fragrance is becomming more and more difficult to find. The last bottle I purchased from a secondary institution (ie - ebay, bizrite, etc.) was rancid when I received it. So that cinched the deal for me.....time for a new fragrance.

I've done some research on the Jess fragrance; however, I'm not sure really where to begin on finding a new one that is similar. I've begged and pleaded for samples from some of the perfume houses, and several are sending samples, some however, are not. So I found a decanting web site and requested several samples from them, (at a small price), so that I could actually try out the fragrances with my own chemistry for several days at a atime rather than relying on test papers, etc.

So.... does anyone have any suggestions on research, ideas, types of fragrances that I might look in to????

Thank you in advance for your considerations.

Sincerely,
    Cheryl

Blog Entries

Default Re: Very New and in need of Major Guidance :)

Cheryl,

Welcome to Basenotes. I don't have any experience with Jess, but will throw out some general guidelines based on things I've learned as a new person exploring fragrances:

1. You are right on target with samples. Sampling something on your skin, at your own leisure is the way to go. Smelling something on a paper strip won't tell you how it will play out with your body chemistry. And having the time to see how the fragrance develops/changes throughout the day (instead of just sniffing your wrist at a fragrance counter) will tell you a lot too.

2. There is no information on Jess in Basenotes' directory. If you could tell us what the scent is like (for example: starts out as gardenia then smells like a clean rose for a few hours), you should get some good recommendations.

3. Often you can get samples to take home (for free) from department stores. Sometimes, they can be stingy with them, though.

4. Getting samples or small decants on line has become more difficult, but there are reputable places that can provide that service. There's a nice list of online stores as well as brick-and-mortar stores here: http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19. You should also check to see if your city is listed. The online stores are in a topic after the country/city groups.

5. You can search the Basenotes directors for similar scents. Just enter the info in the "fragrance notes" box separate by commas (for example: gardenia, cardamom, cedar) and click search. It will give you a list of fragrances that contains those notes.

Hope that's helpful.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

1995, JESS by Jessica McClintock is classified as a flowery fragrance. This feminine scent posesses a blend of: fresh citrus, green florals and spice and notes of sandalwood, peach and vanilla combine in this lovely fragrance.

This is about all I can actually find on the notes of this fragrance. Hope this is helpful to all those that know so much more that I about finding a new fragrance.

Hi Cheryl, welcome to BN!

I haven't tried this fragrance either, but from the description "flowery" and notes "sandalwood, peach and vanilla" I'm guessing you want a floral oriental. Here's a couple I recommend which include notes of sandalwood, peach, vanilla and florals:

Dolce Vita by Dior. Notes according to the directory are: rose, magnolia, muguet, peach, apricot, cinnamon, sandalwood, vanilla and heliotrope. Smells like sweet woods with florals and rounded out with spices (cinnamon) to keep it from being overly sweet.

Robert Piguet Visa - the current version, I haven't tried the one before the reformulation. The notes of this one include peach, pear, violet, bergamot, mandarin, ylang-ylang, rose, orange blossom, patchouli, moss, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver, benzoin, leather. A lot of notes, but I smell fruit and flowers and then a warm woody/vanillic base.

Hope these help. Good luck finding the scent!

Thank you all for your help and recommendations. I'll let you know how things go on the search, though it may be a long one

CJMorrow,

You could also try:

Coco Mademoiselle (Chanel) -- Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Litchi, Rose, Italian Jasmine, Indonesian Patchouli, Haitian Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk.

Bois de Paradis (Parfums Delrae) -- Citrus, French Rose, Blackberry, Fig, Spices, Woods, Amber. Jammy, yummy, spicy -- many people think of this as a fall scent but I'm wearing it today at the office and love it.

Debut (Parfums Delrae) -- Bergamot, Lime, Ylang-ylang, Green Leaves, Lily of the Valley, Linden Blossom, Cyclamen, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Musk. The green notes in this really help keep it from being too sweet or cloying, and it's marvelously feminine.

I own all of these. I would definitely hit LuckyScent to get some samples of the Delraes -- they are worth knowing. Best of luck, and let us know what you decide!
    Last edited by lynnaea; 25th June 2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added Debut and more commentary.

There's plenty of citrus-floral scents with fruity hints and a warmer drydown, some more towards wood, or amber or chypre. Here are some suggestion:
    Nina Ricci Love in Paris
    Chanel Cristalle
    Penhaligon's Ellenisia
    Dior Diorella
    Hermès Faubourg, 24

How about Boucheron for a fall/winter choice? It is a warm, lovely, sexy composition, IMO. It's one of the first "grown-up" scents that I used. The notes are listed as follows:

Top Notes: Lemon, Basil, Orange Flowers, Bergamot

Middle Notes: Tuberose, Geranium, Iris, Sandalwood

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Civet, Oakmoss, Benzoin

I wish you th best of luck with your quest!

A huge thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support of my new trial period. I'm so excited to be doing this even to the point of making this a hobby (obsession) and collecting perfumes. After all, there is a great space in my vanity at home that I could put in a corner curio cabinet for the collection of bottles, etc. I just love the bottles the perfumes come in, even if I may not crazy about the scent!

Thanks again! I'll be sure to post something about my trials and testing fragrances. Perhaps, someday, I'll even be good enough to pick out the separate notes myself and make some recommendations.
    I would rather you hate me for everything that I am.............
    than have you love me for something I am not.

And so a perfumista is born. Welcome to the fold....

Smile Re: Very New and in need of Major Guidance :)

Just found out the fragrance samples below are being delivered to my house today !!! What a wonderful birthday present !!!!

I'm so anxious to try them and see how they might work out !! Wish me luck !!

Caron
    Fleurs De Rocaille
    Narcisse Noir
    Bellodgia
    Alpona
    En Avion

Creed
    Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie
    Vanisia
    Love in White
    Fantasia de Fleurs
    Aubepine Acacia

Nina Ricci
    Capricci
    Farouche
    Fille D'Eve
    Coeur Joie

A Beginner's Introduction to White Floral Scents
    Diptyque Jardin Clos
    Filles des Isles Exotic Floral
    Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle
    i Profumi di Firenze Muschio Bello
    Keiko Mecheri White Petals
    L’Artisan La Haie Fleurie du Hameau
    Last edited by CJMorrow; 26th June 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Smile Re: Very New and in need of Major Guidance :)

I'm a noob also (actually I prefer the spelling newbie--it doesn't look like I'm referring to myself as a "boob", but noob seems to be the preferred term here!), and have gotten many useful recommendations on this forum. Probably the most helpful group out there in internet forum land (though I probably don't have enough experience to say that!). ANYWAY, I digress as usual. It's very easy to become obsessed with fragrance and I am in full phase obsession mode. At least I've learned a couple of things that may be useful to you:
    1. As mentioned by others, but I can't stress enough, get samples or even a small decant of something, if possible, before you purchase a full bottle-the perfume you think you will love forever may turn tiresome sooner than you think!
    2. Also, consider minis if what you love is a more mainstream fragrance, since you love the bottles.
    3. Branch out I thought vanilla was my holy grail note, but actually, there are TONS of notes that I love, and there's plenty of love to go around. I now have many favorite vanilla-centric fragrances, but also my favorite woods, roses, tea etc...

I have seen Jess at several reputable online etailers. Send me a personal message if you'd like some links. Also, if you don't find a fragrance that is quite "it" in your birthday sampler, pm me and I'll send you a couple of samples that you might like (my mother taught me to share! ha ha). Have fun!

Well now you've done it lizzie-j....You've gone and given me a way to collect the fragrances and the bottles at an affordable price with the whole "minis" avenue. I could just hug and kiss you !!!!

The main reason that I backed off purchasing back stock of Jess is because the last bottle I purchased was "completely horrid smelling" when it arrived. The best way to describe the smell was something akin to rancid vulture regurgitation, (my apologies to those of you with weak stomachs), which really makes me want to cry because I sooooo love the Jess fragrance. Though, it was a purchase made from an individual through an internet forum (perhaps ebay, if I remember correctly, and sometimes, I do not). So .... that made me think that perhaps fragrances go bad after a "long shelf time"; however, I have no facts with which to prove that theory. So I've begun a new thread in this forum with posting the question of how fragrances "go bad".

And, well now, I've found a new hobby. My husband has always been after me to take up something that I truly enjoy simply for my own pleasure and not something I do for the kids, for him, for the house, for the cats, for my parents, for my family, etc... (you get the picture) and that corner of the vanity really needed something to fill it up and this is just the hobby to do it. Pretty to look at and pretty to sniff. The best of both worlds, imho.

So thanks again to everyone !!!!

Oh, you have a wonderful journey ahead of you. I have learned so much and bought so much and it's just so much fun!!!

lynnaea suggested ---- Coco Mademoiselle (Chanel) -- Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Litchi, Rose, Italian Jasmine, Indonesian Patchouli, Haitian Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk.

lynnaea - You were right on the money with this suggestion. I simply love this fragrance and so does my husband. The kids didn't think it was too bad either.

This will definitely be a pleasant addition to my newly forming collection !!!

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaalllll!

Very glad you liked it.