Code of Conduct

Default Niche pronunciation

How is it pronounced? I've heard "neesh", "nish", and "nitch". I would like to know so I could actually use this word in speech and not sound foolish.

Default Re: Niche pronunciation

I have always pronounced it "nitch". Any other way just sounds weird to me.

Banned

Neeeeesh
    Last edited by teger; 26th June 2008 at 03:16 AM.

One of my professors for a marketing course would repeatedly pronounce it as 'nitch' as in 'snitch' and I had always heard it as 'neesh'...Hearing nitch this nitch that was quite vexing for some reason...Neesh sounds elegant.

And now say

Serge Lutens
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

I say say "nisch" due to my German upbringing.

Now let's say "cache" as "cahsh" instead of "ceh-shay".

Nish sounds pretentious, at least to me.

My biology and economy professors have always pronounced the term as 'nitch'.

I guess it is like the word Latino, Latina vs. Latin. Seriously people, if you have a word for the concept in English... why use another language? why un-anglicise what has already been anglicized?
    Last edited by irish; 26th June 2008 at 07:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Neesh. Born and raised in a small Ohio farmtown. It was neesh then; it's neesh now.

A nitch is a recess in a wall or a habitat for which a person or group is particularly suited.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I say NEECH.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I say say "nisch" due to my German upbringing.
    The French word niche is Niesche in German, pronounces the same, except you don't hear the ending e in French words (almost).
    Last edited by narcus; 24th June 2008 at 05:12 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'll vote for "neesh," although most dictionaries allow "nitch" as a second choice; but since we're talking perfume here, my tendency is to go with the French way of doing things: you know, savoir faire and all that...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

The most likely way I can imagine to write the correct pronounciation for a native nglish speaker of the french word "niche" is for sure "neesh" even if the most puritan french speakers would argue, as Narcus highlights, that the final e (sounding close to the o in world) of niche is almost not pronounced, but not completely disapeared

Indeed Magnifiscent, the correct pronunciation would be something like neeshuh with the pronunciation of the uh part being almost non-existent.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Gesundheit.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Slow day at the fragrance factory? You have to wonder how different the Neeshes go about manufacturing their juices compared to the big guys. Would a Lutens factory be much different than the factory that manufactures Cool Water?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by fresh2def View Post
    How is it pronounced? I've heard "neesh", "nish", and "nitch". I would like to know so I could actually use this word in speech and not sound foolish.
    neesh.

In biology, the term /niche/ is used plenty - with the same semantic "idea" as in the perfume business. I seem to recall it being pronounced |nitch| - way back when I was taking those biology courses. Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary accept three: Pronunciation: \ˈnich also ˈnēsh or ˈnish\

Penis.

Figuratively speaking, that is

Not directly related, but having EASY access and using Niche of anything (perfumes, clothing, you name it) tends to transform n00bs into a "Penis" ... I've come across a few of this breed on Basenotes myself.

That said, i'm worried about becoming one of those myself, given my current pace into fragrance niche-dom

On topic though, I'd pronounce it as "Nish".
    Last edited by Amit; 24th June 2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: missed a word

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I would say nish, but what do I know? I am not a native English speaker and I am usually corrected by SA even when I say "eau de toilette" or names that start with a "j" such as Jean.

The correct pronunciation is "neesh".

"Nitch" is just plain wrong to my ears. If it were "nitch" it would be spelled that way, it's not, it has an 'e' at the end which softens the 'i' and makes the 'ch' soft.

It's an endless dilemma though isn't it, pronunciation? Anything French leaves you in a state of flux, you can either end up sounding like a pretentious w@nker or a completely clumsy muppet.

Take Infusion D'Iris for example.

It looks like "Infusion Duh Eye-ris" - but that just sounds cack.

The correct pronunciation with phonics should be "Ahn-fue-zyon D'ee Reese", but then say that to most people who only know it the first way and you'll get blank looks...
    Last edited by HDS1963; 24th June 2008 at 08:32 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Dependent

Coming from a nation where English is a must-master lang, i believe it should be pronounce as "nish or neesh" say dish of fish, and replace the first letters with "N" and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Coming from a nation where English is a must-master lang, i believe it should be pronounce as "nish or neesh" say dish of fish, and replace the first letters with "N" and you should be fine.
    Except for the fact that 'niche' is as French as it can get.

So neesh would be the correct way of saying it, if you don't English-fy it. Your examples of dish and fish are not entirely correct, as the 'i' is too short.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 24th June 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    The correct pronunciation is "neesh".

"Nitch" is just plain wrong to my ears. If it were "nitch" it would be spelled that way, it's not, it has an 'e' at the end which softens the 'i' and makes the 'ch' soft.

It's an endless dilemma though isn't it, pronunciation? Anything French leaves you in a state of flux, you can either end up sounding like a pretentious w@nker or a completely clumsy muppet.

Take Infusion D'Iris for example.

It looks like "Infusion Duh Eye-ris" - but that just sounds cack.

The correct pronunciation with phonics should be "Ahn-fue-zyon D'ee Reese", but then say that to most people who only know it the first way and you'll get blank looks...
    Well, you know, as a person who speaks pretty decent French, I don't feel the least bit pretentious pronouncing French words in French; I'm just saying French words the only way I know how. I know that when I'm talking to people who wouldn't recognize the French pronunciation of a name, I have to compromise a bit, but it still feels wrong. I don't distort the sound of English so a foreigner who doesn't speak it well will be able to understand me...

I know some people are going to say that French is not the language of the United States or Great Britain, but still, French names are French. With geographical names, we pronounce Paris and Bordeaux as if they were English words, all the while spelling them like French. The French have their own name for London, "Londres." But that's because they have their own word for it. In English we don't have an English name for Infusion d'Iris, unless you just want to translate it into English; then call it Iris Infusion. I really do think most SAs recognize the French pronunciation of French names, though.

If you don't speak French, then maybe it would be good to learn enough "perfume French" to get by. After all, if you love fragrances, you might be willing to work at some of the cultural aspects of your hobby...
    And don't worry; it doesn't have to be perfect. Most adult learners never lose their foreign accent in a second language. We all just do the best we can.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Sur la Plage

For some reason now I am envisioning a Monty Python sketch of the "Knights That Say Niche", but they all pronounce it differently

Personally, I prounounce it "neesh".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I do speak French and in French, it is "neesh", definitely.

This is the first meaning of a "Niche" in French :
    http://www.oogarden.com/Prod/Photos/...iche-chien.jpg
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Night is right , french is my native language and it is definitely neesh the best pronunciation of Niche... And by the way the most common sense of that word in french translate in Doghouse... ;-)

JaimeB, man,
    I'm almost moved to tears in reading your post. So it's not impossible to find an american that doesn't think "WTF, I'm american, people from all around the world have to learn english, I don't need to know any other language"!
    Niche actually is french and french should stay, for the same reason I always get angry in italian when they want to look cool using a foreign word and pronouncing it in the wrong way. Better they use the italian one rather of pronouncing it in the most unlikely ways.
    After all I think making the effort to try to learn at least few foreign words we want to use, their meaning and the correct pronounciation it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Well, you know, as a person who speaks pretty decent French, I don't feel the least bit pretentious pronouncing French words in French; I'm just saying French words the only way I know how. I know that when I'm talking to people who wouldn't recognize the French pronunciation of a name, I have to compromise a bit, but it still feels wrong. I don't distort the sound of English so a foreigner who doesn't speak it well will be able to understand me...

I know some people are going to say that French is not the language of the United States or Great Britain, but still, French names are French. With geographical names, we pronounce Paris and Bordeaux as if they were English words, all the while spelling them like French. The French have their own name for London, "Londres." But that's because they have their own word for it. In English we don't have an English name for Infusion d'Iris, unless you just want to translate it into English; then call it Iris Infusion. I really do think most SAs recognize the French pronunciation of French names, though.

If you don't speak French, then maybe it would be good to learn enough "perfume French" to get by. After all, if you love fragrances, you might be willing to work at some of the cultural aspects of your hobby...
    And don't worry; it doesn't have to be perfect. Most adult learners never lose their foreign accent in a second language. We all just do the best we can.

Hi Jaime,

For the record, I am English but speak fluent French with, I have been told by the French a very good French accent.

I think the problem is perhaps a UK cultural one, where you are seen as showing off if you pronounce French perfume names with the appropriate pronunciation. Plus, the English traditionally don't like the French very much (I do, but then I like their wines, women and food) since we have been at war with them on and off for hundreds of years.

Having said all that of course, as a man in his mid-forties, I no longer give a toss what others think of me and will talk about Cartier Declaration not as "Deck-la-ray-shun" but Day-kla-ra-cyon" just simply because it's more accurate. That accute accent on the "e" is there for a reason.

Maybe we should have a lexicon of pronunciation in the Basenotes directory or in the listing for each frag a phonetic breakdown for the correct pronunciation!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Hi Jaime,

For the record, I am English but speak fluent French with, I have been told by the French a very good French accent.

I think the problem is perhaps a UK cultural one, where you are seen as showing off if you pronounce French perfume names with the appropriate pronunciation. Plus, the English traditionally don't like the French very much (I do, but then I like their wines, women and food) since we have been at war with them on and off for hundreds of years.

Having said all that of course, as a man in his mid-forties, I no longer give a toss what others think of me and will talk about Cartier Declaration not as "Deck-la-ray-shun" but Day-kla-ra-cyon" just simply because it's more accurate. That accute accent on the "e" is there for a reason.

Maybe we should have a lexicon of pronunciation in the Basenotes directory or in the listing for each frag a phonetic breakdown for the correct pronunciation!
    Somebody once posted a link to a website that would give you a wmv sound file of any word you typed in in French. I wonder if we could locate that link again and put it in a "sticky" post or something. It would help our linguistically challenged friends! The only drawback is that I have no recollection of exactly where in the Basenotes archive this link is buried...

BTW, I admire you for your appreciation of the French. Here in the United States we have a few francophobes, too. During the beginning of the Iraq fiasco, when the French government refused to commit troops and criticized Bush for his Iraq policy, we had this episode of restaurants re-christening French fries ("chips" to you Brits) "freedom fries." We love their wine, their fashions, their perfumes, their sense of style, their cuisine... but we're just damned jealous is all! Oh well, comme disent les français: «Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!»
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th June 2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Whoa, I did a search, and it quickly yielded the link to the polyglot pronunciation site. If any of you guys ever needs to hear how to pronounce any words in a variety of languages, this is the place to go. You've got to choose the language from a menu after you click on the TTS button. For French, it seems to me that Bernard and Sébastien are the avatars with the clearest pronunciation, but you should try them all until you find the one whose speech is the easiest for you to hear and imitate.

We really should put this in a "sticky post" so that it will always be there and we don't constantly have threads on "How do you pronounce [x]?" Does anybody know how to do that? DustB?

Here's the link: http://www.oddcast.com/home/tts
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th June 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Oops! After you do the TTS thing on that site I just posted a few times, you get a "Thank you for trying us out" message and you can't do it any more. I guess you've got to buy their product. There are various TTS apps you can access by Googling "Text-to-speech functionality." It looks like most of them exist only in PC versions, however. Oh well, I've tried. Anyone else have any leads?

Oh! Just found this website: http://free-translation.imtranslator.net/speech.asp
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th June 2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Very cool websites JaimeB.
    Specially oddcast.com. I liked their virtual rendering of personal pictures... a bit creepy, but interesting.
    BTW, both sites offer the two pronunciations of Niche: niːʃ (neesh) and nitʃ (nitch).
    I still think that gallicisms do not have to be pronounced exactly like the french word.
    Example: Amateur and Marionette.
    But that is a topic of linguistics that has nothing to do with fragrances.
    Another TTS
    http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
    Last edited by irish; 25th June 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Jaime, I'm really impressed, your French is ... perfect ! :-)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Neesh

(I went to a french school 15 years)

Neesh too.

CHOWDER
    Is it CHOW-DA or SHOW-DARE?

Blog Entries

Thank you, JaimeB!

"Neesh" is correct (French).
    "Nitch" is wrong (American).
    End of discussion.

I'm fortunate to be from Canada, where French classes are mandatory through the first year of high school, so the general level of competence in the language tends to be higher than in the U.S. I too sometimes feel like I have to compromise for those not quite as proficient in the language.

And of course, if you say Déclaration, I'm sure you say Numéro Cinque, not Number Five. ;D Strictly speaking I should probably use French there, too, but Number Five is a translation, not a mispronounciation, so I think it's forgivable.

In America, it is quite proper and common to say "nitch". Those offended by this should probably steer clear of U.S. soil. To even suggest that the incorrect pronounciation is disrespectful or ignorant towards the French language is unconscionable. Freedom of speech gives Americans the right to "Americanize" whatever they damn well please.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    Neesh too.

CHOWDER
    Make mine Manhattan!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    In America, it is quite proper and common to say "nitch". Those offended by this should probably steer clear of U.S. soil. To even suggest that the incorrect pronounciation is disrespectful or ignorant towards the French language is unconscionable. Freedom of speech gives Americans the right to "Americanize" whatever they damn well please.
    Hey, bro. You and I share an admiration for the House of Creed (although I think you far outdo me; my current Creed collection numbers only twenty). Since we're talking niche here, maybe we can take a lesson from them.

The Englishman Creed left Merrie Olde England for France so he could be at the then-heart of the perfume world. The Creeds became thoroughly "Frenchified," but did they ever hold on to that British Royal Warrant! With their three white ostrich plumes (the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales) emblazoned on all their product, they don't let go of that English connection too much. They trade on French sophistication to the British and on British cachet to the French; and then on both to the Americans! Clever...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'll vote for "neesh," although most dictionaries allow "nitch" as a second choice; but since we're talking perfume here, my tendency is to go with the French way of doing things: you know, savoir faire and all that...
    Maybe it's a little weird to quote myself, but just wanted to remind you all of my original post to this thread. See, I love diversity, too. Pronounce it either way, I'm just stating my preference and advocating for a little language sophistication.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 26th June 2008 at 10:31 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Neesh too.

CHOWDER
    Make mine Manhattan!
    I meant Manhattan clam chowder, of course; much zingier than the New England white creamy stuff — but, what the heck, I'll have the cocktail too!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 26th June 2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

And sound ignorant along the way.

Hardly something to be proud of surely?

I am really hoping that your comments are tongue in cheek?

Blog Entries

Just because something is common, doesn't make it proper. Incorrect pronunciation is, by definition, ignorant of the French language - as in, you must be saying it that way because you don't know French. I don't dispute freedom of speech - Americans have the constitutional right to be wrong all they want - but of course, the right to freedom of speech is intended to protect the content and ideas of speech, not the actual sounds coming out of one's mouth.
    Last edited by kopah; 27th June 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Just because something is common, doesn't make it proper. Incorrect pronunciation is, by definition, ignorant of the French language - as in, you must be saying it that way because you don't know French. I don't dispute freedom of speech - Americans have the constitutional right to be wrong all they want - but of course, the right to freedom of speech is intended to protect the content and ideas of speech, not the actual sounds coming out of one's mouth.
    This coming from a French Canadian who calls a McDonald's Quarter Pounder a "Royal with Cheese" due to the metric system???

C'mon now...

I do kind of agree with Kopah on this one.

Just because ignorance is bliss doesn't make it right.

For example, people who buy celebrity fragrances aren't in and of themselves evil. Just misguided, that's all.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Niche (Nitch), imo is just the English equivalent of Niche (Neesh). The word Niche has many more applications than just fragrance. To be honest, this thread is the only place I've heard the word pronounced "Neesh". I'm not saying either one is wrong. Clearly each pronunciation of the word is viable...

Blog Entries

This coming from a French Canadian who calls a McDonald's Quarter Pounder a "Royal with Cheese" due to the metric system???

C'mon now...
    Okay, now you're clearly just yanking my chain. They were talking about France, there, BTW, not Quebec. Although that makes me curious to go over to Quebec (Ottawa straddles the border) and see what they actually do call it there.

Also, just to clarify, I'm not French Canadian - in the province of Ontario, French is part of the curriculum for all schoolchildren from the beginning of elementary school up to and including 9th grade.
    Last edited by kopah; 27th June 2008 at 02:13 AM.

TO-MATE-O, TO-MAH-TO, it still means the same thing. Even in English we haven't sorted everything out yet.
    Gas = Petrol
    Hood = Bonnet
    Trunk = Boot
    Tire = Tyre
    Windshield = Windscreen
    Apartment = Flat
    Flashlight = Torch
    Subway = Tube
    Phone-Booth = Phone-Box
    BBC = Beeb
    Soccer = Football
    Jail = Nick
    Nap = Kip
    Guy = Bloke
    TV = Telly
    Mail = Post
    French Fries = Chips
    Potato Chips = Crisps
    Sandwich = Sarny
    Argument = Row
    Running Shoes = Trainers

... just an example.
    Last edited by weylin; 27th June 2008 at 02:36 AM.

Without wanting to appear the american-basher that I really am (yikes!) there are quite a few words that are butchered in N.American english.

Firstly, basil sounds ridiculous pronounced "bay-zul", risotto is not pronounced "ri-zoe-toe" and niche is not pronounced "nitch".

At best niche is an anglicised french word and with the english diphthong vowels you can get away with "neesh". Anything straying from that just sounds plain stupid.

Forgive me.... I have a feeling I'm going to cop a lot of flack for this!

lol!

TO-MATE-O, TO-MAH-TO, it still means the same thing. Even in English we haven't sorted everything out yet.
    Gas = Petrol
    Hood = Bonnet
    Trunk = Boot
    Tire = Tyre
    Windshield = Windscreen
    Apartment = Flat
    Flashlight = Torch
    Subway = Tube
    Phone-Booth = Phone-Box
    BBC = Beeb
    Soccer = Football
    Jail = Nick
    Nap = Kip
    Guy = Bloke
    TV = Telly
    Mail = Post
    French Fries = Chips
    Potato Chips = Crisps
    Sandwich = Sarny
    Argument = Row
    Running Shoes = Trainers

... just an example.
    What does this have to do with pronunciation?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    What does this have to do with pronunciation?
    OT:
    They are examples of a descriptive aproach to linguistics. In other words, language is influenced by the cultural context where it is spoken (Region, generation, social status, education, etc) and it should be studied the way it is actually used.
    In contrasts to Descriptive Linguistics('Some biologist and economist in the USA say 'Nitch'') there is the linguistic prescription which states how we should use language ('Because french people say neesh, everybody should prononce it that way. Otherwise you are wrong').
    Obviously there must be a balance, but the thing is that most of the academies trying to regulate language (linguistic prescription) have miserably failed and they are often lagging in the evolution of culture. English does not have an institution like that. Webster's and oxford's dictionaries may be the closest thing. In spanish we have the "Real Academia Española". 95% of the times, the RAE is a good institution to have. The other 5% I have the attitude "Screw the RAE. In Mexico we say it this way".
    Last edited by irish; 27th June 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    OT:
    They are examples of a descriptive aproach to linguistics. In other words, language is influenced by the cultural context where it is spoken (Region, generation, social status, education, etc) and it should be studied the way it is actually used.
    In contrasts to Descriptive Linguistics('Some biologist and economist in the USA say 'Nitch'') there is the linguistic prescription which states how we should use language ('Because french people say neesh, everybody should prononce it that way. Otherwise you are wrong').
    Obviously there must be a balance, but the thing is that most of the academies trying to regulate language (linguistic prescription) have miserably failed and they are often lagging in the evolution of culture. English does not have an institution like that. Webster's and oxford's dictionaries may be the closest thing. In spanish we have the "Real Academia Española". 95% of the times, the RAE is a good institution to have. The other 5% I have the attitude "Screw the RAE. In Mexico we say it this way".

Exactly. In Canada we call it pop while in the U.S. they call it soda. Who is right?
    Z = zed or zee... is one right and one stupid? Different areas use different words and/or different pronunciations. My point was, even in English we still still don't agree on everything.

Exactly. In Canada we call it pop while in the U.S. they call it soda. Who is right?
    Z = zed or zee... is one right and one stupid? Different areas use different words and/or different pronunciations. My point was, even in English we still still don't agree on everything.
    The point here is that we *don't* have an english word but a french one that has been borrowed and incorporated into the language.

And we're not talking about regional variations but a clearly imported word that has relatively uniform definition.
    Last edited by snifferdog; 27th June 2008 at 10:25 PM.

What snifferdog is saying.

Hey everyone, this stopped being about fragrances long ago. It started being about national BS. Sure, that's what Basenotes is really about. Yessirreee.

I'll close this thread. Thanks go to everyone who helped with the question.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.