Code of Conduct

Default Going to China tomorrow

I'm headed off to China, Taiwan and Hong Kong for about a month.
    What kind of fragrances are cheaper or exclusive there? Anything to look for and anything to look out for?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Default Re: Going to China tomorrow

Bump.. i will be in Taipei at the end of the year for a holiday.. any place where i can get frags? (besides the airport)

China had a lotta fakes when I was there. There's legit stuff, sure, but bring what you need. I found Ungaro III that was real. But if you are looking for special finds, you won't find much. Hong Kong and Taiwan will give you a better shot at what you want that's authentic. In that region, they tend to like Cool Water and CK One fragrances, lighter things in general.

You might wanna check out the "Gf" line for men. They have No. 1 and No. 2. One was called "Cigarette" and the other I don't remember what. The one that's an amber colored juice is really nice. The other is a clear, fresh scent that's decent. They also have one called "Robin" which is clearly a Polo Green rip-off and another that's rainbow colored (red, purple, etc...). Definitely try out GF's No. 1 and No. 2. They're inessential, but interesting for what they're worth.

http://www.gf-china.com.cn/

I spent 7 weeks in China, during the summer, visiting Beijing and Shanghai. I found many shopping centers and malls that sold the usual western designer fragrances. But I regret that I did not look for the "underground" chinese parfumerie. There must be a huge market for less-expensive perfumes and oils, that can be afforded by the average middle class chinese. One thing I can tell you: jasmine is everywhere in China. I drank jasmine tea every day, and even ATE jasmine in sweets. Some people carry jasmine leaves with them, attached to a little metal thing. It is sold on the streets.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 30th September 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Don't drink the milk there
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    One thing I can tell you: jasmine is everywhere in China. I drank jasmine tea every day, and even ATE jasmine in sweets. Some people carry jasmine leaves with them, attached to a little metal thing. It is sold on the streets.
    I think the most often it's a type of magnolia that is being sold on the street, the smell does however resemble jasmine and gardenia.

a friend of mine suggests going into chinese medicine shops for a "nose opening" experience

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfumeboss View Post
    a friend of mine suggests going into chinese medicine shops for a "nose opening" experience
    that's the kind of nose opening that could perforate a nasal septum. ICK.

i've been to one of those shops...and i would NEVER wanna open my nose again like that!

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I spent 7 weeks in China, during the summer, visiting Beijing and Shanghai. I found many shopping centers and malls that sold the usual western designer fragrances. But I regret that I did not look for the "underground" chinese parfumerie. There must be a huge market for less-expensive perfumes and oils, that can be afforded by the average middle class chinese. One thing I can tell you: jasmine is everywhere in China. I drank jasmine tea every day, and even ATE jasmine in sweets. Some people carry jasmine leaves with them, attached to a little metal thing. It is sold on the streets.

I did ask several people about perfume and I was told it was only recently in China that people started to wear perfume reason being that it is often too hot and they'd rather repel insects than attract them. Also to them it is very western to wear perfume and that's a good reason to follow suit, but they need to be recognizable western brands.

I think the jasmine you smelled on people could be from the many many many massage rooms, I think it's common for people to smell of the jasmine oil they use.

My friends there were interested in my perfume but they didn't recognize the brands so they weren't that interested for long, they thought it was a funny idea there could be some local perfume scene while all the ' kids' are into prade, gucci, d&g perfume simply for the name.

I got a nice parasol instead..very useful in Iceland. I felt very local having one in shanghai though, taxis actually stopped then!.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

OK THERE WERE SO MANY fakes when i went to China its ridiculous. They have open stores selling 100% purely fake items, and this store that had all the Coolwater, Tommy Hilfiger replicas that was dispensed from huge vats. However, if you do go to Hong Kong, there are a lot of good places to buy the legit stuff (hotels and malls), but I ended up buying some Gucci Pour Homme for my broski at the airport.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!