Code of Conduct

Default Female perfumes that can pass as unisex..Which ones do you agree with?

This list is from suggestions made by basenoters, which ones would you pick?
    Sorted from A to Y

A.ELIXIR by Clinique
    Alexander McQueen "Kingdom"
    Alien
    ALPONA and POIVRE by Caron
    Always & Forever by Jessica McClintock
    Angel
    Angel Innocent
    Angelique Encens
    Annayake - Miyako
    Après l´ondée
    Arpège
    Azuree Soleil
    Babydoll YSL
    Bandit
    Black Cashmere
    Bois des Iles
    Boucheron Jaipur and Saphir
    Bronze Goddess
    Burberry Brit gold
    Cabochard
    Caron Alpona
    Caron Tabac Blond and Piguet Bandit
    Casmir Choppard
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Choc de Cardin
    Christian Dior Escale a Portofino
    Cloe Innocence
    Costume National Scent
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Covet
    Cuir de Russie
    Dior Diorissimo
    Dior Miss Dior
    Diorella by Christian Dior
    Dioressence
    Dior's Dune,
    Divine L'Inspiratrice
    DKNY Be Delicious Green Apple
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Donna Karan Gold
    D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    Elixir des Merveilles
    Estee Lauder Aliage and Private Collection
    Estee Lauder White Linen
    Fendi (the original one.)
    Gucci - Rush
    Guerlain Herba Fresca
    HABANITA by Molinard
    Helmut Lang Eau De Parfum
    Hermès Calèche
    Hermès Eau des Merveilles
    Hypnotic Poison
    INFUSION D' IRIS by Prada
    Irisia, and Corps et Ames (Parfumerie Generale),
    Jicky
    Kelly Caleche
    Krizia Teatro alla Scala
    L de Lolita Lempicka
    La Dolce Vita Dior
    Lancome O de Lancome
    Les Néréides - Imperial Opoponax
    L'Heure Bleue
    Mat Orange
    Michael Kors - Michael
    Mitsouko
    Montale Ta'if Roses
    Nº 19 by Chanel
    Obsession Night women
    Opium
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
    Parfume Sacre - Spicey oriental.
    Penhaligon's Cornoubia
    Pink Sugar
    Prada Amber and Infusion d'iris
    Prada edp
    Profumo, Acqua di Parma
    Rochas Femme
    Serge Luten - Tubereuse Criminelle
    Shalimar
    Sonia Rykiel's Belle en Rykiel
    Sous le vent
    Tabac Blond
    The Different Company - Rose Poivree
    Tom Ford - Black Orchid
    VIVARA by Emilio Pucci
    Vol de Nuit
    Y by Yves Saint Laurent
    YSL Nu EDP
    Last edited by afraafra; 25th June 2008 at 08:56 AM.

Default Re: A list of female perfumes that can pass as unisex..which do you pick?

Chanel No. 19 I believe was Coco's personal favorite yet I find it distinctively a unisex fragrance.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Default Re: A list of female perfumes that can pass as unisex..which do you pick?

I've always loved Guerlain Mitsouko, & Chanel Cuir de Russie.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Blog Entries

Divine L'Inspiratrice (more masculine than feminie to my nose)
    D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue (ditto)
    Costume National Scent Intense (ditto)
    Costume National Scent (ditto)
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Montale Ta'if Roses
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
    Annayake Miyako
    Guerlain Shalimar
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Why 2 threads on the same topic???

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210800

Thank you for compiling that list. It will be nice to have all of the recommendations in one place. I would suggest going through it and eliminating the repetitions, though.

Here are the ones that I have some familiarity with:

Guerlain Mitsouko: This is an absolute masterpiece.

Lanvin Arpège: This is very powerful and floral, and its unisexuality may be overstated.

Estee Lauder White Linen: Nice, but Azuree is far more masculine (almost like Puig Quorum!).

Clinique Aromatics Elixir: A powerful, bitter fragrance. Would be good for a man, but go easy.

Donna Karan Black Cashmere: I thought that this was a little too white-floral to be unisex.

Guerlain Shalimar: Wonderful and sweet, but Mitsuoko is my holy grail right now.

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue: Heart-breakingly beautiful, but do not get this one blind. You may not think of it as unisex.

Guerlain Jicky: Simple and lavendery and wonderful; men should wear this one.

My choices would be:

1. Habanita de Molinard

2. No. 19/Chanel

3. Jaipur SAPHIR (Don't know if the Saphir version was previously mentioned specifically.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I would also like to suggest:

Diorella by Christian Dior and
    Always & Forever by Jessica McClintock

Thumbs up Re: A list of female perfumes that can pass as unisex..which do you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Divine L'Inspiratrice (more masculine than feminie to my nose)
    Yeah, that's what I've been saying for ages! Well, since it first came out, actually. And that's why I have a big bottle of this marvelous patchouli/rose frag.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I think Estee Lauder Aliage and Private Collection (the original) would also be good scents for men. Givenchy III is a fine crossover, although I personally could take it or leave it.

Talking about Lauder, Bronze Goddess is another one a guy could easily wear in summer. I do.

Y is good on a guy. Sigh.

Default Re: Female perfumes that can pass as unisex..Which ones do you agree with?

Baiser Du Dragon Cartier has very few florals in it and is very unisex.

Default Re: Female perfumes that can pass as unisex..Which ones do you agree with?

The ones I've tried and which worked:

A.ELIXIR by Clinique
    Angelique Encens
    Black Cashmere
    Bois des Iles
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Christian Dior Escale a Portofino
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Cuir de Russie
    Divine L'Inspiratrice
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    Elixir des Merveilles
    Guerlain Herba Fresca
    Hermès Calèche
    Hermès Eau des Merveilles
    INFUSION D' IRIS by Prada
    Jicky
    Kelly Caleche
    L de Lolita Lempicka
    Mitsouko
    Parfume Sacre - Spicey oriental.
    Shalimar
    Tabac Blond
    Y by Yves Saint Laurent
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

None of the above. If it is marketed towards women, it should be worn by women only. I don't wear shoes marketed towards women and neither does any other man I know.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    None of the above. If it is marketed towards women, it should be worn by women only. I don't wear shoes marketed towards women and neither does any other man I know.

We're talking about perfume here. Im' sorry, but shoes have nothing to do with it. Marketing towards a particular gender doesn't mean squat. True scent lovers will always let their nose decide for them, not a company's marketing strategy.

There are two bottles my Wife and I share: They both smell nice on both of us.

Coromandel
    Aoud Flowers

Of course, you are free to not wear whatever you don't want to wear. By the same token, I can wear anything that I want, whether it is marketed to men or women. The nice thing about freedom is that it works both ways.

Some products are designed only to be useful to one gender. I won't get much use out of a bra; women won't get much use out of an athletic cup. However, consider other products which meet a gender-neutral need, yet which are marketed by gender: disposable razors, shower gel, antiperspirant. There is nothing inherent in these products that require a men's and a women's version, but manufacturers do it in order to sell the same product in two markets for two prices.

Many fragrances can be easily worn by both sexes. If I wear Azuree by Estee Lauder, and you wear Hanae Mori for Men, you will actually be the one smelling sweet and feminine. I'll smell like Quorum.

Honestly, I am grateful that most men avoid the greatest fragrances of all time because, ick, they're for girls. That makes it all the easier for me to be the best-smelling guy in the room.

Perhaps a man's fascination with women's perfume derives from the fact that they are designed solely to attract men. Since perfume is a passionate hobby for some of us, one may confuse their "attraction" to a fragrance with "enjoyment" of a fragrance. I can be "attracted" to women's sunglasses, shoes, jewelry, accesories, etc...yet not "enjoy" wearing any of them. To me, attraction and enjoyment are not one in the same. Therein lies the issue. If a product was specifically designed for a woman in order to attract a man, I want nothing to do with it. I prefer to enjoy it on a woman I am attracted to.

If I were to wear Shalimar or Mitsouko and hear someone say "that smells like my grandma" or "my wife wears that", I would feel quite awkward. However, that is a very real possibility with which I can live without, since both smell rather "matronly" and have strong feminine associations due to marketing. Wearing either of those fragrances around my Aunt, who enjoys both, would absolutely be out of the question. I would be placing myself in a precarious position by my need to dance to the beat of a different drum and turn an amusing hobby into my own personal metrosexual fantasy. If that is ignorance, then I'm perfectly happy living out the rest of my life in ignorant bliss, thank you very much.

The other day I smelled D&G Light Blue for women and it was really good. Maybe a bit powdery for some men but I think it'd work for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Of course, you are free to not wear whatever you don't want to wear. By the same token, I can wear anything that I want, whether it is marketed to men or women. The nice thing about freedom is that it works both ways.

Some products are designed only to be useful to one gender. I won't get much use out of a bra; women won't get much use out of an athletic cup. However, consider other products which meet a gender-neutral need, yet which are marketed by gender: disposable razors, shower gel, antiperspirant. There is nothing inherent in these products that require a men's and a women's version, but manufacturers do it in order to sell the same product in two markets for two prices.

Many fragrances can be easily worn by both sexes. If I wear Azuree by Estee Lauder, and you wear Hanae Mori for Men, you will actually be the one smelling sweet and feminine. I'll smell like Quorum.

Honestly, I am grateful that most men avoid the greatest fragrances of all time because, ick, they're for girls. That makes it all the easier for me to be the best-smelling guy in the room.
    Very well said, we are not here talking about all female perfumes but a very small fraction that actually are very well made and work for both sexes, like say a Gillette female razor which I think is better than the male version...I think trying some of these "dual' function fragrances give a new dimension to one's olfactory experience..
    AFR

Fleur Du Male, Burburry Brit Men, Pi, Rochas Homme and hundreds of others are"Marketed " to men but are very feminine, but I find women really enjoy them on a man...we are not here talking about flowery /girly perfumes but a select few which happen to smell good and yes masculine on a guy..
    AFR

Hm... point taken but you do realize a man wearing a perfume marketted to women will still smell like a man, usually? Also, as I'm sure you know at one time all fragrances/perfumes were unisex. Alot of traditional Arab/Indian perfumes are still this way.

Some perfumes like Angel, alot of the really popular sugary/cheap fragrances are arguably quite feminine- I can't see those working well on a straight man, but that doesn't mean there aren't alot of exceptions out there for other fragrances.

Perhaps a man's fascination with women's perfume derives from the fact that they are designed solely to attract men.
    Are you quoting Archie Bunker here?

Sur la Plage

Perhaps a man's fascination with women's perfume derives from the fact that they are designed solely to attract men.
    I guess I need to start wearing more women's perfume then
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Are you quoting Archie Bunker here?