Code of Conduct

Default Job Interview in an hour! To spray or not to spray...

All right, fellas. I've been doing a bit of searching through the archives here and have found that generally speaking, most of you agree that fragrances and interviews don't mix well, for fear of "offending" the interviewer.

I'm heading out to an interview for a Production Assistant job for a sports network, and thought that going in completely "naked" might slightly lower my confidence, as I've become quite a frag connoisseur over the past year.

I was thinking about spraying ONE spray on my wrist of none other than Terre D'Hermes. The weather here is sunny and warm, and the masculine "gunsmoke" notes just might put together my ensemble (as well as my confidence!) perfectly.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Job Interview in an hour! To spray or not to spray...

TDH is perfect. 1-2 sprays on your chest. Nothing on any pulse points as it may come across to powerfully.

I don't subscribe to the "no fragrance at interviews" theory, just keep it subtle and clean.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    TDH is perfect. 1-2 sprays on your chest. Nothing on any pulse points as it may come across to powerfully.

I don't subscribe to the "no fragrance at interviews" theory, just keep it subtle and clean.

Ged
    Ah! Perfect idea to avoid pulse points. Hadn't considered it. I, too, feel as though that it'd be better for me personally to enter the interview smelling a bit crisp, fresh, and earthy, so long as the silage isn't overpowering.

Thanks, Ged!

better not wear any scent, you are likely to run into another Bner who hate's it probably.

btw - all the best!
    Last edited by jenson; 24th June 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Completely agree with Ged on this one, that's perfect advice.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

I agree. I just would go with a very light spritz - especially if you think it will make you feel better and more confident.

Good luck!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the kind words, folks. You've helped boost my confidence a bit further.

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!

Cheers!

As a person who does the interviews quite often, my suggestion is: (although I know you said it was in an hour... but for the next person...)

Take a good shower... wash, and then wash again with a good soap. If you have a scented body wash, shampoo - use it. (and antiperspirant - you *will* get warm!

If you wish to spray, take the advice of spraying under your shirt - center of chest or lower. Two shots max - since you certainly want to be wearing something light anyway.

I have a couple "kit" sets that I use for such occasions (meeting government people in my role...) - I have the wash/shampoo and the cologne -and use a neutral anitperspirant. My preference is usually Bvlgari Homme.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Nothing at all, don't take a chance

Spraying my chest magnifies scent like no other place on my body! If I want a minimum of projection, I spray my stomach, or front of shirt tails.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

If I was to go for a job interview today, I would spray some Eau Sauvage - it's a no-miss fragrance.
    Terre D'Hermes is a good ego booster.
    Aramis - to make a power statement.

Dear Mike,

Terre d'Hermes is beautiful, just go for it !

To feel confident, you must smell it yourself. If you spray your chest, you will be overwhelmed with the fragrance, you nose will be saturated and you won't smell the it anymore.

I would spray it around the belly button and/or the wrists. 2, maximum 3 sprays.

Je croise les doigts !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

It is traditionally never a good idea to use fragrance before a job interview. It is the equivalent of putting gel in your hair and spiking it up to the moon. Fragrance won't help you get the job so why take chances?

Blog Entries

i'm a physician...and when i was interviewing, i would spray ONE spray on my wrist and rub em together of something LIGHT.

Terre D'Hermes is TOO strong of a scent....i would pick something lighter...more neutral, with less citrus or fruitiness. You basically do NOT want ANY specific smell to be permeating from you in an interview.....

in an interview, the purpose is to minimize any attributes which can be negatively viewed...and it would be a shame if someone interviewing associated negativity to you because they didn't like the way you smell.....

i wouldnt say TdH is the 'best' option but since you didnt provide any, i'll go along with the majority and say 1-2 sprays under your shirt will be fine.

a great choice for an interview fragrance would be GIT or Straigh to Heaven by Killians...both are sweet without beying synthetic or overwhelming....they exude confidence and strength.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I'd never spray for an interview. Why take a chance. Get the job first, then spray to your delight.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I'd never spray for an interview. Why take a chance. Get the job first, then spray to your delight.
    Exactly!

An interviewer is not going to choose a person based on their scent, but there is a small chance you may get an interviewer that is either allergic or just doesn't like cologne.

Why take the chance of it coming off negative when there is no upside!?

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Well, I appreciate all of the responses you guys dished out. It still astounds me how so many people can come together and have a healthy debate about something as obscure (and apparently polarizing) as the ethics of fragrance use when in an interview!

While I do recognize the lack of an upside to wearing cologne as well as the corresponding risk of pissing off and offending a sensitive smeller, I still decided to spray two pumps of TDH on my chest and under my clothes.

The decision was based entirely on my need to feel on my feet, confident, and, quite frankly, dashing!

The interview went as good as I could ever have hoped, and hopefully I'll be hearing back from them.

Thanks for the support, everyone!

While I realize that the urgency of the commentary has passed I'll give my .02....

If it's a job you really want, why take any risk whatsoever offending or making any mis-impression on the interviewer? Some people are allergic to fragrances (my father). Some people are jerks and will look for any reason to narrow down a field of job candidates ('that guy's cologne was awful! he's out!'). By way of analogy, you wouldn't wear anything edgy, or interview with a weird haircut, to an interview.

All that said, Mike seems to have done the right thing by spraying discreetly and for the sake of self-confidence. Plus, Terre d'Hermes is fairly innocuous, especially under the shirt. If anything, it might be smelled across the desk and interpreted as deodorant. It's not like rolling in with 5 sprays of M7 on your neck, or Kouros. Can you imagine?

Its ok ...100% agree....Good luck and blessings for that interview !

Did you know that if you wear a black suit to an interview, you will most likely not get that job no matter what your qualifications are? Black is considered formal attire for weddings and funerals only. Even that is seemingly innocuos compared to wearing cologne on an interview. Either one can be considered a dealbreaker if your competition is fierce.
    Last edited by samplermike; 25th June 2008 at 01:17 AM.

There must be a million of these threads by now.

I've never been to a job interview (I've always been self-employed), but I know that while men job interviewers don't usually want to smell much fragrance on you, many women interviewers may like it and give you the job because of it. There's no better way to do it than a couple of sprays of regular Gendarme an hour ahead of time. One spray up your chest and drifting up onto your throat, put the shirt on, and then one directly on the shirt. It covers all the variables. Hale and clean.

Thumbs up Re: Job Interview in an hour! To spray or not to spray...

i'd like to see a short skit of a real job interview. applicant walks in wearing a fresh, minutes old, 202 sprays of yatagan, 88 sprays of polo green, 114 sprays of joop homme, and 308 sprays of kouros.
    at once. totalling a subtle 712 sprays.
    Last edited by bxbwbk; 25th June 2008 at 03:07 AM.

The best you can do for your "scent" is bathe, brush your teeth, wash your hair, and wear clean clothes. The fragrance in scented soaps can sometimes linger on the body for hours, so that might be a good option if you really need something extra.

To me the critical point here is that he needed it to feel like he was on his game.

I work in an extremely conservative profession and I still wear fragrance to interviews -- as long as you don't reek and have good taste in scent (both likely if you're a basenoter), I think it shows a certain sophistication.