Code of Conduct

Default Summer Scent / Casual & partly professional

Hey all.

I am a young professional (see my other post in male scents about professor scents) and have recently gotten into the world of scents. I really like my Terre D'Hermes and Burberry London. I also own Polo Blue and Guerlain's vetiver. I am looking for something to be a decent summer scent.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking Creed Silver Mountain Water, or Burberry Weekend.

Perhaps Creed virgin island water?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kaptainkoffee; 24th June 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: Summer Scent / Casual & partly professional

SMW seems like a perfect fit. I've never smelled Burberry Weekend before, but since you seem to be interested in the house, I'll recommend "Touch" by them. Excellent scent that should fit your needs.

VIW is too casual to wear in a professional setting I feel. It would be perfect for a summer outdoor party, but probably too over the top for the office or hanging out with friends.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage
    Aqua di Parma
    Geir
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Guerlain Vetiver - anyone have any comments on it as a summer scent? I can sort of smell some of the other notes - but to me ... it really smelt initially like - hate to say it as it is so cliche - an elderly lady.

What is this particular scent that makes me think that ? Why does it smell ever so powdery? I did buy my vetiver from online - could it be bad?

Thanks.

I asked a similar question in a thread recently, and of the recommendations I tried, I liked Balle de Mach by PdNicolai and Agrumi di Sicilia (growing on my, though I was initially turned by the rose). Iskander by Parfums d' Empire is very pleasant, but not insistent. The exact opposite of the namesake emperor. I've almost used up my sample of Iskander and have heard that YSL Live Jazz is very similar, so I may save some serious money and buy that.

I had the same thoughts about Guerlain Vetiver (from Scentiments) but after the initial old-person scent (not powdery to me) wears off, I like it whenever I catch a whiff. However, I may be easily fatigued by vetiver because with 2 or 3 sprays I hardly ever catch a whiff.
    Last edited by iamnotcleveratthishour; 25th June 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Blog Entries

There are different sources of vetiver, in addition to the different ways house create with it.

I didn't care for Guerlain either - it just was too strong.

My favorite vetiver is Fresca di Vetiver (it's a sharp, clean vetiver compared to Guerlain; not sweet or powdery) from i Profumi di Firenze followed closely by Floris' Vetiver (also a nice, clean vetiver but it only lasts a few hours on my skin).

I work in a law firm and think those both fit quite nicely: not overpowering, but nice clean scents.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkoffee View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver - anyone have any comments on it as a summer scent? I can sort of smell some of the other notes - but to me ... it really smelt initially like - hate to say it as it is so cliche - an elderly lady.

What is this particular scent that makes me think that ? Why does it smell ever so powdery? I did buy my vetiver from online - could it be bad?

Thanks.
    Not only did I not find it "summery" I found way too strong and overwhelming. On my skin it took it hours to lose the flea dip/bug repellant type smell. I almost washed it off. I guess I'm the minority but that is how our skin and senses go.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

I personally enjoy Guerlain Vetiver. But there are a lot of different "vetiverish" fragrances on the market, many which are excellent for summer. So you may want to try some others to see if you like them and that they work for you.

Some of the ones that I like are:

Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    L'Occitane Vetyver
    Vetiver de Puig
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Mugler Cologne

Guerlain also makes some other verisons of their Vetiver fragrance, including Vetiver Sport and Vetiver Extreme. I personally am not fond of them. But maybe it is something you may want to try.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Any thoughts on Silver Mountain Water?

I was wearing Guerlain's Vetiver and I am thankful for the strength today. We had a cookout and so we were out in the 70 Degree warm weather, and then on top of that I went flying with a pilot friend of mine. By then the scent had become a bit less intense but still noticable.

Best part was that I went walking, and then realized that I had to run back to the airplane. So I ran back, and due to the staying power of this particular cologne - I didn't, or at least I think I didn't, smell like a dead rat.

Any other summery type scents? Something to go well with a clam bake or getting off of the water after sailing? I'd prefer nothing aquatic. I have polo blue and don't really find it appealing. Once again I find Burberry London and Terre D'Hermes to be some of the best scents I've smelt thus far.

Any thoughts on Silver Mountain Water?
    Silver Mountain Water is a great choice for a summer scent. its nothing like Terre de Hermes. Im not sure if you've smelled it before. if you have a saks or neiman nearby stop by the Creed counter. Sample Silver Mountain Water (or SMW as its known around here). Also check out Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial both are really good for summer. Also be sure to ask for samples that way you can test the scents before you commit to a bottle.

Let us know what you end up getting.

So here is how it goes:

I think that Burberry Weekend will be my casual around the office, or on the weekends do nothing scent. The Vetiver will be for those days that I should be more professional / mature during the summer (or if I should go to any sort of formal event), and the Creed SMW will be for going out at night, or perhaps something to wear during the weekends during the winter. It has that metallic scent that really balances it out for almost any season.

I'll be wearing the Burberry London or Terre D'Hermes during the fall / winter ...

And the bottle of Polo Blue someone gave to me last year - I'll be tossing out.

So here is how it goes:

I think that Burberry Weekend will be my casual around the office, or on the weekends do nothing scent. The Vetiver will be for those days that I should be more professional / mature during the summer (or if I should go to any sort of formal event), and the Creed SMW will be for going out at night, or perhaps something to wear during the weekends during the winter. It has that metallic scent that really balances it out for almost any season.

I'll be wearing the Burberry London or Terre D'Hermes during the fall / winter ...

And the bottle of Polo Blue someone gave to me last year - I'll be tossing out.
    At this time Burberry London is pretty much my Fall/Winter scent also.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

AdP - Colonia Assoluta would be perfect for what you describe, imo...

Silver Mountain Water - Would you say it is too informal for work?

+1 on the SMW
    If your place of work isn't a stuffy shirt and tie type of place, SMW should be fine IMHO.

I'll also suggest Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.
    ~ the thoughts and opinions of a 26 year old male whose interests include hip-hop culture, mixed martial arts, and gentlemanly endeavors.