Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many sprays??????????????

It depends on the fragance.....but, minimum 4 sprays to 8 (In my face every morning only, in the afeternoon after lunch, I do the same)

Some examples:
    Terre d Hermes -----------6
    Joop---------------------------6
    Arpege----------------------6
    Silver Shadow............6
    Guerlain Vetiver..........8
    Rive Gauche................6
    Angel-------------------------6
    Polo--------------------------6
    LaNVIN Oxygene.------------8
    Baldessarini Del Mar-------------------8
    Gucci Pour Homme--------------------8

Default Re: How many sprays??????????????

Up to 8 sprays in the face? That can't be healthy for your skin (and hopefully you don't get any in your eyes). I rarely spray more than once to the chest these days (if the atomizer provides a nicely dispersed and full spray).

I hope you really meant sprays to the neck...and even then eight sprays is way too much.
    Last edited by knightowl; 25th June 2008 at 06:12 AM.

I had to register to reply to this thread but the amount of sprays definitely depends on the fragrance.

I only spray a fragrance on my neck and chest. I've never thought about spraying my face.

For something like TdH that seems to last forever on my skin, I can only use one or two sprays on my neck. For my recent purchase of YSL L'Homme; I find myself spraying ~6 sprays as it will disappear on my body in about 4 hours.

I find myself always starting a new fragrance experience with one spray and adding more each time I use it to judge the cutoff. I tend to prefer less and to keep the scent to myself. Maybe that is why I've never received comments about any fragrances since the people around me probably don't smell it.

Blog Entries

tonysoprano -

With all due respect, I agree with the posts above. 4-8 sprays to the face seems like it would be overpowering -- and not just for you. Especially of things like Joop, Terre d'Hermes or Polo.

I apply depending on the sillage/projection of the frag.

Terre d'Hermes: once to each wrist; and once to the chest/abdomen area - spritzed from about arm's length away.

Sens et Bois (stays pretty close to the skin): I can do three shots to each wrist and once to the back of the neck.

Poivre Samarcande (similar to Sens et Bois but with more projection and it can be sneeze-inducing in other folks): a shot to each wrist.

Feeling Man (a strong frag with a lot of sillage and projection like Polo): one spritz to the back of my neck.

The only scented thing that goes on my face is shaving soap/cream and aftershave.

But we're all different. The way you've been doing it may work great for you and that's cool. But it's a way that I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    It depends on the fragance.....but, minimum 4 sprays to 8 (In my face every morning only, in the afeternoon after lunch, I do the same)
    You didn't literally mean "in my face", did you? Doesn't that sting your skin? Or impair your breathing?

Anyway, I rarely use more than 3 sprays of any fragrance, because my skin magnifies the scent so much. If a fragrance is particulary "light", I might use up to 4 sprays. I could never use 6 to 8 sprays of Terre d'Hermes, Guerlain Vetiver, Gucci pour homme or Rive Gauche pour homme--without the fumes peeling the wallpaper off the walls everywhere I went...

That's not a criticism of your choice, I just mean it would never work with my chemistry.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

When I said "Face"....I was thinking in "Neck"

I prefer applying a fragrance as far away from my nose as reasonably possible such as on the wrist in order to get a little idea of what my own sillage is like. Sillage is, by definition, a fragrance detected from a distance and it is difficult to be objectiive about one's own sillage if the fragrance is applied to a point on the body which is in close proximity to the nose - such as on the face or neck. Smelling a fragrance in close proximity to the point of application can give a deceptively unbalanced picture (and often more cloying!) of what the sillage will be like. It is the sillage, IMO, where the magic of a good scent lies - and what parfumeurs are interested in. I think one to two sprays suffice. I'm still open to suggestions though.
    Last edited by Delmar; 25th June 2008 at 07:20 PM.

1-4 sprays for me. Most frags get 2 sprays, both directed half at my stomach/chest and half at one of my arms. I try to keep it low on my arm so I can smell the fragrance more discreetly. Only fragrance that I use 4 sprays of is Ralph Lauren Safari, which has a tiny and very dispersing spray nozzle.

way to go Tony !! Im the same 6 - 8 on most frags and twice a day is becoming a regular event .
    I really don't see how just one spray to the chest is enough ... I never will .
    So my advice to you micro squirters is GO FOR IT ..... you hearing this Bigsly !! don't let those trembles stop you .
    If you have say 24 bottles 2.5 oz in your collection they could potentially last you till the year 2112 !!
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 25th June 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: ,

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    way to go Tony !! Im the same 6 - 8 on most frags and twice a day is becoming a regular event .
    So my advice to you micro squirters is GO FOR IT ..... you hearing this Bigsly !! don't let those trembles stop you .
    If you have say 24 bottles 2.5 oz in your collection they could potentially last you till the year 2112 !!
    Tell them Dimitrios!!
    There are only a few frags in my collection of 49 that get less than 4 sprays on a full wearing.
    I spray L'Air du Desert Marocain only 2-3 times
    I spray Vintage Tabarome only 2-3 times
    I spray Rive Gauche PH 3 times usually....all the rest are fair game for more.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 25th June 2008 at 01:30 PM.

My skin doesn't magnify scent - it tends to hold on to scents longer than most people which means I get great lasting power but only average or slightly above average sillage.

For this reason, I usually spray 6-8 times as well, and sometimes more (depending on how long it will be before I have human contact). I'm thinking of Issey Miyake / Mugler Cologne. It usually goes like this:

4 sprays to the chest (low on the chest)
    1-2 sprays to the undershirt
    2-3 sprays to the neck [i never spray my face!]

For stronger frags [Millesime Imperial, L'Air Du Desert Marocain], this is cut dramatically:

2 sprays to the chest
    1-2 sprays to the neck

I'm with Dimitrios and Jock - I don't understand how you guys think one spray to the chest could ever be enough if you are leaving the house. The only time I do that is right before bed when I'm looking for some extra snuggling from the lady.

I also generally wait as long as I can for the sprays to the neck as well - if I have a decant or sample I'll bring that with me and spray once or twice right before getting out of the car.

If I'm wearing short sleeves, I'll spray my elbow pits once each as well.
    Last edited by baudilus; 25th June 2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I prefer to spray further away from my nose as the closer the point of application, the less objective I am about the sillage, which IMO is where the magic of a good scent lies. I think one to two sprays suffice and I tend to have them on my wrists - probably for practical considerations. I'm still open to suggestions though.
    I'm not sure I understand your first sentence correctly. You spray further away from your nose, but close to the point of application, in order to acheive better sillage?

If I've got that right, then I guess I'm a little different. Body sprays are several inches (5-6, 12-15cm) from the skin to get good coverage, and I spray my elbow pits from about 1 inch (2.5 cm) away to get a good strong scent from there.

I might try to spray closer to my neck in the future.

Honestly it depends on how I feel. I really don't think about it too hard.

Oh hell yeah I'm wear X fragrance today! I love it!: 15 sprays
    Man, I want to smell GOOOOD today: 10 sprays
    I'm in a so-so mood: 7 sprays
    Eh, it's too hot outside: 3 sprays

Depends on fragrance for me. Some are so light you need to spray a lot before it´s noticeable and then it go for around 7.

2 neck
    2 hair
    1 wrist
    2 chest

This would be for something very light

a heavier scent would be

1 neck
    1 wrist
    1 chest

Sur la Plage

Exactly Dimitrios! For the most part I say "spray away" - although there are a few where I think less is best.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th June 2008 at 03:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It depends on a lot of things - Am I going to a smoky club or to an air-conditioned office, does the nozzle throw 1ml onto me every time (Creed) or only half of that (Floris) and is it a strong fragrance or not.
    I'd say each to their own but you should also take into account those around you. What if the guy you sit next to doesn't like Terre d'Hermes? (Apparently these people do exist) and you've got 8 sprays on. I'd say that's bordering on the anti-social.

For me, daytime is one or two sprays (one to neck, maybe one to chest) and evening is three. I can still smell all my fragrances hours later so that seems to be enough for me. I get looks/ comments from people within 5 feet of me but rarely from people further away which is just the way I like it.
    Last edited by jonnyt; 25th June 2008 at 05:03 PM.

I made it very clear in the office that if anybody hates the thing I´m wearing to say so, or if they feel its too strong.

There was only one guy who ever said he didn´t like it but that is because he disliked any un natural scent, as in...don´t even shower with shampoo because it might smell flowery or fruity.

He smelled of BO. The other people at work always go snif snif ´who smells good!?´ Today someone said I was smelling good enough to lick.

Otherwise I agree with jonnyt, if you know you are going to be somewhere extremely warm then you tone it down, also depending how much something sprays on you etc.

Regarding people around you, just tell them that you are trying out something new and if they hate it to tell you. I think it saves a lot of problems if they know it´s allright to say something and that they dont have to suffer in silence.

So, he hates any unnatural scent and so he imposes his natural scent on everyone around him. Interesting.

1 spray to the back of the neck or 2 sprays on the inner elbows is sufficient enough for me. I like subtlety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I like subtlety.
    Except when it comes to your love of creed
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

As all have said it depends on the fragrance but my usual routine is one to the chest out of the shower and then wrist, neck and shirt once dressed.

Some examples:
    Terre d Hermes -----------6
    Arpege----------------------6
    Silver Shadow............6
    Guerlain Vetiver..........8
    Rive Gauche................6
    Angel-------------------------6
    Polo--------------------------6
    LaNVIN Oxygene.------------8
    Baldessarini Del Mar-------------------8
    Gucci Pour Homme--------------------8
    you sure are having a good time, aren't ya!? nice collection there. a very well balanced one...

btw, i go for, 1 on neck, 2 on chest and 1 each on upper forearm and spray a mist and walk in to it for shirt....the way i spray is, i spray a line...and never concentrate the spray at one point...well, the above also depends on the SOtd..wont apply opium/kl homme tht many times...
    Last edited by jenson; 25th June 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    1 spray to the back of the neck or 2 sprays on the inner elbows is sufficient enough for me. I like subtlety.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    So, he hates any unnatural scent and so he imposes his natural scent on everyone around him. Interesting.
    Yes because how can we hate BO, it´s natural and norma it´s how humans are suppose to smell. I mean he isn´t a flower so why smell like one.

He isn´t a decaying corpse balsemed in onionsand baked with paramzan in an oven either. But that is how I describe how he smells.

Flattering isn´t it?

So yes, when I get into the office sometimes, wearing and spreading perfume, I get messages saying : THANK YOU!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU....

We have sent mails around telling people to wear deodorant when it gets very hot, but nothing is done about it. And the worst offenders have moved to a different location. My headaches went down dramatically because of it and I dared to breathe in the entire department..and not just in certain places (wherever they werent).

computer nerds

Three spray maximum to me, doesn't matter which fragrance.

6 to 8 sprays under my clothes works for me. Except for some of the older Boss scents, where 4 sprays delivers as much volume as 6 sprays from everyone else's bottles.

It's always important to remember that "More is more" and "Less is less". I know that this message does not go down well with Scent Conservationists who feel that scents are a finite and scarce resource which should be preserved for future generations, and who have thus been propogating the "Less is more" message.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your first sentence correctly. You spray further away from your nose, but close to the point of application, in order to acheive better sillage?

If I've got that right, then I guess I'm a little different. Body sprays are several inches (5-6, 12-15cm) from the skin to get good coverage, and I spray my elbow pits from about 1 inch (2.5 cm) away to get a good strong scent from there.

I might try to spray closer to my neck in the future.
    Sorry about that clumsy & ambiguous sentence. What I was essentially trying to suggest (based on my own experience with fragrances) is that the wearer of the fragrance can enjoy his or her own sillage more if the place where the fragrance goes on the body (spraying or splashing) is as far away from the nose as practicably possible. In another thread, spraying a fragrance behind the knees was discussed as a possibility for the same reason. That said, I wouldn't suggest applying the fragrance lower than the knees. Spraying a fragrance on the neck or face is too close to one's own nose IMHO. Hope that made a little better sense. (I just re-edited that original "statement" )
    Last edited by Delmar; 25th June 2008 at 07:22 PM.

I've read reviews of "power frags" in which the person says that it's too powerful, but might be good for an older guy who's sense of smell is starting to fade. As I get older, though, I find my sense of smell getting better, not worse.

And Dimitrios is completely wrong here. I want my frags to last at least until 2020, not 2112 !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 25th June 2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: additions

Thanks Jock , thanks Petruccijc and all you other multi spritzers out there who posted .
    More may not be better but it certainly beats one !!
    Sir Slarty you are brave & happy on the trigger finger !!
    Bigsly ... even at generous 0.25ml spritz once a day .. an average collection of 25 or so can last more than one lifetime ..

SALES

Four sprays to all four quadrants of the neck

Wow, 6 sprays of Terre d'Hermes. I couldn't imagine using more than 2 myself. I'm very thankfull I don't work with you.

I've fallen into the habit of spraying five shots to torso, neck and back, but more often than not that's overdoing it and I regret it every time while driving to work. My resolution for 2009 will be "easy on the trigger". But 2009 is still six months away...

With some fragrances, you should spritz the same number as question marks in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    We have sent mails around telling people to wear deodorant when it gets very hot, but nothing is done about it. And the worst offenders have moved to a different location. My headaches went down dramatically because of it and I dared to breathe in the entire department..and not just in certain places (wherever they werent).

computer nerds
    Today I was working (very, very closely) with a computer nerd. He smelled of slight hints of berry and coffee. I thought it must be from a previous wearing that was stuck on his shirt, since the fragrance smelled so deep in the dry down. He also had a breathtaking rose smell on himself. And in the burning heat of day, every time I smell him, I get taken to a green garden on a cool, breezy summer day.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Today I was working (very, very closely) with a computer nerd. He smelled of slight hints of berry and coffee. I thought it must be from a previous wearing that was stuck on his shirt, since the fragrance smelled so deep in the dry down. He also had a breathtaking rose smell on himself. And in the burning heat of day, every time I smell him, I get taken to a green garden on a cool, breezy summer day.
    Did you ask him or find out what he was wearing ?

SALES

Approx. too many...
    Then another 3-4 on the pants' legs

Did you ask him or find out what he was wearing ?
    Of course. We have a lot of fragrance conversations me and him
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Not too many. The more you spray, the less YOU smell it.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

lol that last comment, i never knew that. im having trouble with joop go atm. dosent last yet its joop....

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Not too many. The more you spray, the less YOU smell it.
    Nice one!

I also think: "The more you spray, the fewer people want to smell you."

1-2 for me (chest)--can't even imagine more..... this may be why no one ever compliments me!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    1-2 for me (chest)--can't even imagine more..... this may be why no one ever compliments me!
    That's unlike me, I often wear scents with 1-2 sprays, and still get compliments or at least visible reactions.

Maybe due to the fact that different cultures and societies have different taste for the scent they smell. In my school, it seems like I'm the only person use fragrance, and on daily basis.

One on each elbow.One on the neck and one on the chest. Vintage Tabarome and Td a little less. I'll go hog wild when appling Hermes Eau D' Orange Verte. My all around favorate.

akdeluxe

I usually spray fragrance 18 -27 times as well,I love when everybody smells my fragrance,and same time I dont care,what everybody thinks about my scent.
    Scents like Kouros I am spray 15 times and more
    Last edited by Hovo; 8th November 2010 at 09:51 AM.

1 spray on each wrist. 1 spray on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovo View Post
    YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

yes I am a SERIOUS

I usually do 4 sprays to each arm and 8 sprays to the chest, then apply a layer of lotion, then another 4 sprays to each arm and 8 sprays to the chest. So, 32 sprays total. I did this with Angel this morning.

My cubicle buddy didn't notice it and she would have said something if I was too strong.

The only cologne I can't do this with is Sung. I did half as many sprays with that and she told me she could smell me when she walked in the office.

Edit: Original Polo is another cologne I can't do this with.
    Last edited by TheSeoulMan; 9th November 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Of course. We have a lot of fragrance conversations me and him
    may i inquire as to what he was wearing? I am very interested...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeoulMan View Post
    I usually do 4 sprays to each arm and 8 sprays to the chest, then apply a layer of lotion, then another 4 sprays to each arm and 8 sprays to the chest. So, 32 sprays total. I did this with Angel this morning.

My cubicle buddy didn't notice it and she would have said something if I was too strong.

The only cologne I can't do this with is Sung. I did half as many sprays with that and she told me she could smell me when she walked in the office.
    I'm confused because I'm not detecting sarcasm in this post.

I'm not being sarcastic. For some reason, my skin loves to eat up fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
    I find myself always starting a new fragrance experience with one spray and adding more each time I use it to judge the cutoff. I tend to prefer less and to keep the scent to myself. Maybe that is why I've never received comments about any fragrances since the people around me probably don't smell it.
    I do the same thing. I like people within my personal space to be able to smell it. I don't want to be the person who people can smell after I leave the room...or know I coming before I enter.

Regards,
    Steve

In my face

6 sprays of JOOP!
    directly to the face???

That sounds like a radical makeover:

I'm not being sarcastic. For some reason, my skin loves to eat up fragrances.
    Dude, nobody's skin can consume 32 sprays worth of A*Men. All that Isobutavan, it's a f#@king huge molecule. Even west africans pores aren't large enough to devour A*Men. 32 sprays of A*Men must be hilariously plastic/sweet. LOL That's alright though, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Dude, nobody's skin can consume 32 sprays worth of A*Men. All that Isobutavan, it's a f#@king huge molecule. Even west africans pores aren't large enough to devour A*Men. 32 sprays of A*Men must be hilariously plastic/sweet. LOL That's alright though, have at it.
    It's barely noticeable on me. After an hour or so, I have to put my arm right up to my face to smell it.

My take on the "how many sprays" is more in line with the conservative group. That is one to four sprays. Two sprays probably being the norm. I think some scents are meant to be light and close to the body. When overspraying I believe it ruins the development from top to base. Feels like the scent is pooling up on the skin and has nowhere to go. Rule of thumb for me has always been if I can smell the fragrance a half hour to an hour later then I probably put on enough. Eventually we will become used to the scent and not notice it but others probably will when in our personal space. Regards to application points I keep the fragrance below the collar bone on the upper chest. Never spray on the front of the neck. Sometimes a spritz on the back of the neck. And in the crook of the elbow or knee. I never spray on my wrists as I find that it ruins the aroma of my food and drink and there are a lot of other good smells around us that we should enjoy.

This could be a forum in itself. Have a thread for different frags and folks can post how they spray it.

It's barely noticeable on me. After an hour or so, I have to put my arm right up to my face to smell it.
    Just wondering, did you once try to just spray like 2-3 sprays away enough from nose (like just chest and wrist) and see if you still can smell it ? Because with 32 sprays, I totally believe you when you say you can't smell it anymore, I think your nose is saturated by your fragrance. But hey I don't criticize, do it the way you like it !

Personally, the more I use, the less longer I smell it myself, and since it's for my own enjoyment first, I stick to 1-2 sprays on chest and 1 on hair for work. If I'm going out, I'll add 1 more behind the neck and 1 on wrist or inner elbow.
    It's maybe not enough for some folks, but when you see some people staying around you deeply breathing, even without compliment I know I'm noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovo View Post
    I usually spray fragrance 18 -27 times as well,I love when everybody smells my fragrance,and same time I dont care,what everybody thinks about my scent.
    Nice. I wonder what happens if you meet in a closed place with someone with the same philantrop mentality.
    Last edited by Sandy; 10th November 2010 at 07:09 PM.