Code of Conduct

Default Advice for Poison lover?

Hi everyone, a friend of mine has asked for some advice for a new scent, but her tastes are so different from mine, I don't know what to reccomend. I thought you all would certainly have some good advice. I know she loves Poison and Hermes Caleche. And she doesn't want to spend to much, probably under $100. Can anybody make any suggestions?

Oh, and she says she doesn't like the newest Hypnotic Poison.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by SnowRose; 25th June 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: Advice for Poison lover?

My first thought when I saw Poison was Alien...well, both have purple bottles...but both are really big, potentially obnoxious florals (forgive me for saying that, I actually love both). But I don't get the connection between those and Hermes Caleche. They're nothing alike. So maybe Alien Luminescent that's out now in the citrine bottle?

Basenotes Institution

Tell her to try Black Orchid by Tom Ford. When I first smelled it, I thought it smelled like a modern interpretation of Poison.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I used to wear Poison many years ago but I have only tested Caleche, think it was clean smelling, almost soapy. Anyway they are two very different scents so here are my suggestions: Versace Crystal Noir, Lolita Lempicka, Gucci Rush, D&G Sicily, Guerlain Vol De Nuit and Hermes 24 Faubourg. Hope you find them useful!

My first thought was 24 Faubourg. She may enjoy Coco or Narciso Rodriguez as well. I'd basically stick with the theme of a classic with personality. Maybe even Eternity (ducking).

Yes, it's worth noting the Poisons are all very different. I love original and Hypnotic Poison but dislike Tendre Poison, Pure Poison (though Pure Poison Elixir is quite nice) and Midnight Poison.
    Black Orchid is possible though on me I get very little more than strong patchouli.
    She might like Ava Luxe Tuberose Diabolique. I guess she is looking for something distinct from Poison rather than along the same lines. Alien is a good suggestion - it's a much cooler scent than Poison - more appropriate for day, or summer.

if she liked the fruity spicyness of Poison with its tuberose on a strong honeyed amber base, I think she might like maybe the new Gucci if she doesn't want to go too expensive. Also Mike's call on Black Orchid sounds good.

Try Jil Sander no 4
    http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=URETJ3JnfOU

White and Red. White - smell of mosses, velvety petals of butterfly-orchids, murmurs of streams, rustles of weird consonants. Red - polish people, envy, jealousy, god-avenger, red paint on my door.

I can't comment on Poison as I haven't tried it, however I love Caleche. A scent that I sometimes reach for as an alternative to Caleche, is Gres Cabochard. Also, Caleche Eau Delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by melancholic-botanist View Post
    Try Jil Sander no 4
    I love #4. I also love Poison. They have the same vibe.

POISON! I own it, wear it, love it!!! If your friend likes her frags big & bold, maybe she'd like Amarige by Givenchy or Gucci's Rush (the original)...and I do second the suggestions of Lolita Lempicka and Eternity as well! Possibly Dolce Vita by Dior too!

I wore Poison after quite a while since last time yesterday, and I started to notice slight differences in the scent that I haven't smelled before On me Poison smells a littlebit smoky in the topnotes and also with a slight sourness. The smoky accord reminded me of Bulgari black,but after a while I started to think that Alien(already mentioned I see) and possibly Crystal Noir and Coco would also work for someone looking for a scent with a similar vibe. Hope you find one and good luck!