Code of Conduct

Default suggest a tobacco and leather frag please

hello all,

I am currently looking for a fragrance with tobacco and leather in it. I think what i am looking for is more of a pipe tobacco smell as opposed to pure dried leaf. I have guerlain vetiver and tab mill but i think im looking for a more rich scent. I seem to recall varvatos vintage smelling in this ballpark??? What else would you suggest? I havent tried TF tabac vanille but i have also heard its overpriced for what it is.. Please suggest some things for me..

thank you

chuck

Blog Entries

Default Re: suggest a tobacco and leather frag please

CUIRON.

there is no better option.

Sur la Plage

I think Michael for Men by Michael Kors has a great pipe tobacco smell to it.

You could also look at Burberry London.

I like Tobacco Vanille and think it is an excellent fragrance - it's very linear though. But if you like the smell of sweet pipe tobacco, it's awesome and worth the money IMO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th June 2008 at 12:13 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

No new info here, but I'd definitely agree with Michael and London for great designer options, and I've never smlled anything as close to pipe tobacco as Tobacco Vanille. It's on my buy list.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

what do you guys think of varvatos vintage?

Havana
    Trussardi Uomo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post
    i dig it....but it's not leathery or pipe tobacco-y.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    CUIRON.

there is no better option.

Curion is a top choice in my book. There is an option that is fun and will cost only $50.00. You'll need to buy two accords from www.cbihateperfume.com and layer them. $ 25.00 each for 15ml of absolute.

First is "Pipe Tobacco Accord"

Then select the leather accord of choice:
    New Shoe Leather
    Old Leather
    Spicy Leather

I'm going to try my hand at making a tobacco scent one of these days, though my scent may be inspired more by Eastern tobaccos perhaps. Maybe Latakia or pungent Oriental leaf moreso than what many people think of as "pipe tobacco". I imagine a pipe tobacco type scent, smelling like Captain Black and the like wouldn't be terribly hard to do- just a basic tobacco fragrance oil and a little bit of vanilla fragrance. Maybe some woods in there to round it out a bit.

Mama Bear's Soaps has several tobacco scents in her (Sue's) products. I also think she has a cologne called Beau Brummel that she makes that is scented with black tea and tobacco.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 26th June 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Sur la Plage

I personally am not fond of it.

I think the original John Varvatos is a good fragrance, but it reminds me too much of Burberry London (although I think London is better).

There is something about Varvatos Vintage that is a little off-putting to me - it may be the rhubarb note that a lot of other people talk about. Even though tobacco is listed in the notes, it does not jump out to me immediately as a tobacco based fragrance when people ask about them - like you did.

But if Vintage is something you have tried and like, go for it!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th June 2008 at 12:27 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

due to the fact cuiron is not longer really found anywhere what would be my second best fit guys? cigar afficionado lol......sadly i have this.........and like it

I smell a lot of pipe tobacco in DK Fuel. Unfortunately it's not widely available.

As for leather, you can go wrong with Knize Ten IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I smell a lot of pipe tobacco in DK Fuel. Unfortunately it's not widely available.

As for leather, you can go wrong with Knize Ten IMO.
    unfortunately knize ten is even harder to find than cuiron.

due to the fact cuiron is not longer really found anywhere what would be my second best fit guys? cigar afficionado lol......sadly i have this.........and like it
    I'm feeling more fortunate that I just found a lonely bottle of Curion at a mall stand.

I know this isn't going to be a popular suggestion but good old Polo is the original super-masculine leather/tobacco fragrance.

The Dreamer by Versace, no?

Aramis is a great leather scent, and I rarely smell it being worn even though it is readily available in the department stores.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think Michael for Men by Michael Kors has a great pipe tobacco smell to it.

You could also look at Burberry London.

I like Tobacco Vanille and think it is an excellent fragrance - it's very linear though. But if you like the smell of sweet pipe tobacco, it's awesome and worth the money IMO.
    I can't say it any better than pertruccijc. I agree with all three statements.

When I saw the thread title, Caron Tabac Blond and Molinard Habanita were the first to come to mind.

For some extracurricular reading, the following threads have some great tobacco recommendations and discussion:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203443
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=201714
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196678
    Last edited by Sloan; 26th June 2008 at 02:55 AM.

beautyencounter.com just had a bunch of Cuiron available - $45, but I see they already sold it out.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Tobacco-- Czech and Speake's CUBA

Leather - Andy Tauer's LONESTAR MEMORIES or Serge Luten's CUIR MAURESQUE
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque - lots if very nice tobacco, may well be pipe tobacco. And many claim that it does contain leather. I'm not very good at determining a scent's construction, I don't really feel it, but you may try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Aramis is a great leather scent, and I rarely smell it being worn even though it is readily available in the department stores.
    Yes, Aramis is one of the greats.

I wear Aramis but I think the leather's a bit lost on me. It always smelled like dried down, old sandalwood to me with a bit of spices. Maybe the leather is adding more to the feel than a distinct note? Granted, I haven't smelled alot of leather fragrances. I've got some leather fragrance oil could try experimenting with, though.

I wear Aramis alot, BTW. Good that people hate it/don't care for it anymore, and just can't get it. I'm not a huge fan of the "fresh and clean" frags so much anymore. Here's a hint about Aramis- it smells dead on a clean, washed body. Get some human musk or even maybe some musk deodorant in there and it comes alive.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 26th June 2008 at 06:28 AM.

Lagerfeld Classic

I'd say Montale Cuir d'Arabie is probably the most obscene, but extremely satisfying if you dare to wear it.

Thumbs up Re: suggest a tobacco and leather frag please

Molinard HABANITA ?
    Pascal Morabito OR BLACK ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque - lots if very nice tobacco, may well be pipe tobacco. And many claim that it does contain leather. I'm not very good at determining a scent's construction, I don't really feel it, but you may try it.

Lots of other things going on in Fumerie Turque actually (roses, spices, dried fruits, resins) but for sure beautiful tobacco leaves are the core of the juice and there are detectable leather hints. It'd definitely not for all so maybe it's better you test it before buying, but it's a unique beauty.

Santa Maria Novella - Acqua di Cuba is a long lasting tobacco/leather frag.

tabac from profumo has interested me since i read the review in the guide.

i like miller harris feuilles de tabac and truefitt and hill spanish leather.

Ava Luxe Shisha : Excellent turkish flavored Tobacco and Honey, Raisins, Incense, Sandalwood, Spices etc. create a really decadent scent.

D'Orsay LeDandy : Boozy Tobacco with lots of spice and Cinnamon.

Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie : High class boozy Tobacco with lots of Leather. On first impressions smelled almost like leather smeared with whiskey, sexy!

Memoire Liquide Fleur de Tabac Blond : As the name suggests, very classy Tobacco Flower.

Memoire Liquide Cuir Millesime : Very resinous Leather scent with a deep smokiness that smells like smoky black tea to my nose. A very interesting blend with a soothing drydown.

Santa Maria Novella Toscano : Superfine Tobacco... I don't have enough words nor have I worn this enough to be able to describe it, but let me just say that this is one of the smoothest interpretations of Tobacco I've ever had the pleasure of smelling.

That's off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Fendi Uomo might appeal to you. Also, although I'm not a big Demeter fan generally, their Pipe Tobacco is really pretty good.

i just bought cuiron on ebay blind, my friend told me its awesome as well so ill end up just pawning it off if i dont like it, i sure hope its real.

i also saw michael kors at the mall stand the other day maybe ill go check it out , sounds awesome