Code of Conduct

Default Are Chanel No.5, 22, Tabac Blond etc REALLY Vetiver scents???

An article about vetiver entitled "Oil and water mix - and how" appeared in the Essential liftout (a style/lifestyle supplement) in today's Sydney Morning Herald and I really can't get my head around it.

Acknowledging that vetiver was a popular note in men's fragrances mid century (i.e. Guerlain, Givenchy, Carven), the writer says that "before then, vetiver was the note that sounded the liberation of women. Chanel was a big player of this freedom tune in No. 5 and No. 22, as were other famous vetiver sisters who bobbed their hair and threw away their corsets in early 20th century - classics such as Mitsouko, Tabac Blond and Habanita."

Now I have never really considered No. 5 or 22 as vetiver scents - yes they may have vetiver in them, but aren't they predominantly floral aldehylic scents? I am not sure I would put them in the same company as Guerlain Vetiver or the new Chanel Sycomore. Similarly with Tabac Blond and Mitsouko, probably as far from vetiver scents as I could imagine.

Those of you who know these scents better than I, would you consider them a family of "vetiver sisters" or has the writer got it a little wrong?
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Default Re: Are Chanel No.5, 22, Tabac Blond etc REALLY Vetiver scents???

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon View Post
    I am not sure I would put them in the same company as Guerlain Vetiver or the new Chanel Sycomore.
    Me neither.
    Vetiver-scents are relatively dry and unsweet.
    If one is tempted to lump fragrances into the "vetiver category," simply based on the fact that vetiver is a component, regardless of the presence of florals or fruits or musks, that category would soon be overflowing with new chypres, too.
    And by the way, if Nos. 5 and 22 are to be included, pray tell, why not No. 19 also?
    I think the writer's premise is overblown.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 26th June 2008 at 03:45 PM.

I don't consider those scents to be "vetiver" in any manner.

...and not every sweet vanillic fragrance is a gourmand...not every citrus scent is a cologne...not every scent that contains floral components is a floral....

No. 5 and No. 22 are loaded in sandalwood in the base, not vetiver. Nor Tabac Blond or Mitsouko are vetiver scents at all.
    Not even all vetiver scents are unsweet; take for example Cartier Le Baisier du Dragon: it has a heavy green vetiver base, but it's loaded with sweeter top/middle notes like peony, gardenia, amaretto etc...

In regards to this discussion, I am reminded of my last "Sniff 'n Speak" experience. I alternated between 4 fragrances which had plenty of citrus in the notes. However, only 3 were predominantly citrus. The remaining one only really had citrus in it, I suppose in the same way cake batter would have eggs. You can sort of tell it is there, but it no longer is identifiable as citrus.