Code of Conduct

Default Got ripped off by Neiman Marcus with spoiled Creed Original Vetiver

IMPORTANT EDIT: The shipping temperature was to blame, so I can't blame Neiman Marcus. It took 12 days of shipping from Texas to Montreal, Canada, and it was very hot, even in Canada. That spoiled the perfume. Neiman was very helpful and they will review their shipping strategy to take this into account.

I can't believe this. I finally decided to just spend the 300$ after getting a spoiled bottle from perfumebay.com

It seems the only way to get non-spoiled Original Vetiver is to buy samples, because both samples I received from Perfume Bay and Parfums Raffy were top notch.

But the actual 4oz bottle from Perfume Bay and Neiman Marcus both smelled good for about 5 seconds before fading away, no matter what quantity I poured down.

I am so disappointed. The boxes are real, the bottles are obviously not fake - so how come they don't smell anything after 2 minutes?

I bought from the online Neiman Marcus store, so on top of the 225$ price for the bottle, they added a total of 92$ worth of shipping, handling and taxes, which made no sense at all.

Now the only thing I can do is ship it back from my own pocket and hope that they'll pay me back - but I doubt I'll see the whole 318$ + returning shipping again.

And by the way - they sell the exact same bottle as Perfume Bay. Only perfume bay is non-authorized, so they sold it for 90$ back then.

Pictures of my Perfume Bay bottle, the one from Neiman Marcus, and the packaging from Neiman Marcus:
    (click for higher resolution)

Last edited by beltz; 26th June 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I blamed it on the store but the temperature was to blame.

Default Re: Got ripped off by Neiman Marcus with spoiled Creed Original Vetiver

Neiman Marcus has a great return policy - I doubt you'll get the full price back with shipping, but you can probably ask for a new one or just get the merchandise price back.

I don't see why the shipping was $92, even internationally, or why you agreed to pay it - you can pretty much get any designer frag for that much.

Also, I wouldn't say you got "ripped off" on the bottle, unless you've already spoken to them and they refuse to accept a return or give you a different bottle. I've never had anything but a great experience in Neiman Marcus.
    Last edited by baudilus; 26th June 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Yet if I don't indeed get the full price back with shipping, I do think it is fair to call this getting ripped off. It should be their burden to make sure that their merchandise is in good condition, especially at these exorbitant price.

Why I agreed to it is simple - if I don't agree to it, the only way to get a Creed fragrance would be to go to Ogilvy Montreal, where the bottles are the same price for one quarter the size.I cannot get that designer fragrance for that much given that this one costs 225$ from authorized stores.

I will talk to them and if they agree to pay me the full price back, or if I get a top-quality bottle back plus the surplus shipping fees I had to pay, I will post here and take my words back, but right now everything from the prices, to the quality, to the shipping time and the amount of spam they send me has been terrible.

Wow man, that's really unbelievable! And $92 for shipping, that's totally insane! Why on earth did you agree on that?!

As an aside, how come Creed has so many quality issues? I hardly ever read this about any other house.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Let me clear things up - I originally said they charged 90$ of shipping, handling and taxes which is accurate. It wasn't 90$ for shipping alone. Yet the product's price was 225$, so 90$ is excessive... Here is the actual data:

Your Order Total
    SubTotal: $225.00
    Delivery and Processing: $46.50
    Duty and Brokerage: $15.75
    Tax: $31.00
    Total: $318.25

Again, I agreed on that because I feel like I have no other choice if I want that Original Vetiver which I LOVE so much
    Last edited by beltz; 26th June 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Sjeez man, I feel really sorry for you. I would have gladly bought a bottle for you here in the Netherlands from a very reliable store were it costs €120,- http://webshop.skins.nl/xcart/search.php?mode=search and would have send it to you at a much better price.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    Let me clear things up - I originally said they charged 90$ of shipping, handling and taxes which is accurate. It wasn't 90$ for shipping alone. Yet the product's price was 225$, so 90$ is excessive... Here is the actual data:

Your Order Total

Again, I agreed on that because I feel like I have no other choice if I want that Original Vetiver which I LOVE so much
    Your last sentence in your post...tugs at my heart. I love OV too. There are plenty of people here at basenotes that could help you get your OV for cheaper. I hope all this works out for you. I would have to be placed in a straight jacket and sedated if this happended to me.

I've tested Creed OV quite a number of times in London and Italian shops.

On my skin it disappeared after about an hour and a half to two hours.
    So I never bought it.

And yet I keep reading here how it lasts all day on most people.

Have you tried spraying it on paper or other people (not family, they have the same genes) and seeing if it lasts longer on them than on your skin?

It may be that there's nothing wrong with your scent, and that you may just have to wear it on your clothes.
    Renato

Renato, while I have not tried it on other people, I have tried it on both my clothes and body.

I have had two samples from different vendors (Raffy and Perfume Bay).

In both cases, I poured it on my skin and it lasted for hours, to the extent where at the end of my work day, I could still feel "waves" escaping from under my scarf (it was winter).

I have now had the Perfume Bay 4oz bottle for about a year. I have thus worn it on both my skin and body on multiple occasions, in various quantities depending on how desperate I got. It indeed lasts only a few minutes. My clothes don't even smell an hint of it the next day. I can't even tell that I poured anything on my skin after a few minutes.

The bottle from Neiman is the same as the Perfume Bay one.
    Last edited by beltz; 26th June 2008 at 01:29 PM.

Ditto Jock on that! please dont overlook our BN Sale list.
    Last edited by jenson; 26th June 2008 at 01:37 PM.

I'm on the phone with Neiman Marcus and unfortunately, I think I might just get a partial refund. I hope they don't make me walk to the postal office to send it back on top of it!

Thank you for that jenson, although I don't understand why you edited it your post...

They are telling me to ship it back and I think it will be shipped for free although I may have to pay duties again. Also, my reimbursement will be along the lines of the original price plus a portion of the taxes, but not the whole thing. So about 250$, I'll be short 65$ in total.

well my post was not answerin your Question on OV...

but anyways, for creeds, i always excercise patience and rather buy it from BNers.....neiman marcus rates don't really make sense to me......scented monkey is another good option.

I would keep trying different phone operators if the first doesn't give you the results you're looking for....NM is all about customer service. I'll be honest - as a lawyer - you don't have much of an argument to be reimbursed beyond the cost of the bottle and shipping. I would make sure to use the phrase 'defective product' because that usually creates an exception to the standards return policy. International tax and duties are usually always non-refundable, as is return shipping. Unfortunately anything international might create exceptions to the standard return policy.

Bummer, bro - I feel for ya.

Is it possible that the heat involved in the shipping process spoiled the bottle? I received something by mail recently and I noticed the glass bottle was warm to the touch when I got it out of the box. The box had been left outside my front door in 100 degree heat. I was worried it would have been affected but it was ok.

bbDB, I think it might have been the shipping indeed. As I said, the bottle isn't fake, it is just spoiled.

When it arrived, it was very hot. It was 25 celcius outside (80 farenheit I think), and the bottle arrived at 6pm. It had been in the truck since 2am.

Also this was the second shipping attempt, so it probably was in the truck for another 10 hours of hot sun two days earlier.

Perhaps it isn't Neiman's fault at all if heat does this much damage so quickly.

Oh... I just realized an additional thing.

It was sent by truck all the way from Texas to Montreal, Canada. I don't know how hot it is in Texas, but I presume it's even hotter than Montreal. It took about 10 days to ship, so I imagine that could have done this.

Thumbs up Re: Got ripped off by Neiman Marcus with spoiled Creed Original Vetiver

Another good option for you would be to go to perfumedcourt.com
    I bought a 8 ml bottle for $29.00. You could do any size you want.

Oh... I just realized an additional thing.

It was sent by truck all the way from Texas to Montreal, Canada. I don't know how hot it is in Texas, but I presume it's even hotter than Montreal. It took about 10 days to ship, so I imagine that could have done this.
    I live in Texas and it's 100 degrees every day, and I'll bet that the trucks used for interstate shipment are not climate controlled. I wouldn't stop trying to get whatever you can back from NM because you'll never get a refund from the shipper as you won't be able to pin the damage on them. After receiving my last order with warm bottles I'm going to hold off ordering anything expensive via the internet for a few months (unless they use fedex, which i think is climate controlled)

This was with Fedex, so unfortunately, they are definitely not climate controlled.

The bottle was about as hot as a 20 minute old coffee. Not as hot as the ideal coffee drinking temperature, but hot enough to still drink it. I wish putting it in the freeze would solve this.

I've never had an issue with shipping heat affecting a bottle. I doubt that is the cause or many more people on here would have that problem.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

baudilus gets the last word! Indeed Neiman Marcus was not to blame.

I have now spoken to them on the phone again and I agree, their customer service is great. Sadly, this is still painful for me since I have to return the merchandise, but I can't blame them at all.

The lady on the phone seemed genuinely thankful that I told her what might have caused the defect during transport. She went to talk to their warehouse, etc. and she says they will investigate and see how they can solve this in the future, or review their shipping policies.

Blog Entries

have you considered, that Creed is just making a chump out of you? haha....just kidding man

i feel that sort of money for that scent is just RIDICULOUS.....if i were you, i would go and buy that in person from somewhere...it's not really that hard to find or anything.

How much will it cost to ship back? Certainly not $92 - I'm thinking less than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I've never had an issue with shipping heat affecting a bottle. I doubt that is the cause or many more people on here would have that problem.
    There might be a difference though. I assume most people ship these things by plane, which are cooled, and then chances are that from the postal office to their home, it will be rather quick.

In this case, due to international shipping rules for "dangerous goods", this was sent by truck. So I think it makes sense that transport could have done this...

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    How much will it cost to ship back? Certainly not $92 - I'm thinking less than $10.
    I haven't read the paperwork they gave me yet, but I don't think it will be too expensive (I assume under 25$).

The 92$ was not for shipping alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post

Agreed. I have been doing this for many years and have had close to 100 bottles shipped in the heat with no problems. Heat is not the main source for spoilage, light is by far the greater entity. Heat can certainly contribute but unless it is prolonged, intense heat directly on the bottle with no protection (box, etc.) there should not be a problem, especially so quickly.

All that said, it is certainly possible you're bottle is bad but likely from some other prolonged situation.
    You absolutely should be given a new bottle from NM and you should be credited you're original shipping costs. The ONLY think you should be responsible for (though in truth, you shouldn't) is the cost for return shipping to NM. Only once have I encountered a situation where a merchant sent a UPS call tag for free for something I returned for being defective.

Lastly, I agree with buying stuff here on BN. You can almost always find a better price and a trustworthy
    source. If it's not advertised, post in the wanted section or inquire where to get the scent on this board or the Just Starting Out board and it's highly likely someone will respond positively.

Please let us know how it all works out.

Edit to add: most importantly, welcome to Basenotes! :-)
    Last edited by evogel; 26th June 2008 at 03:51 PM.

I just now noticed the pictures - in the first picture, it definitely looks like the one on the right has turned, at least a little.

It's not NM's fault. That's how Creeds are and everybody knows this. The quality is always going to be inconsistent no matter where you buy it (even assuming genuine, fresh stock). You're always taking a chance.
    My suggestion, if you really like a Creed, try to find something similar (plenty available, most even better!). The only unique one to me is SMW, which doesn't last on my skin either but I kept it. Even for this, Carolina Herrera 212 will be a good replacement in the future.
    So, IMHO, try to find alternatives and save your money if consistency is your concern. I'm surprised that some people boast about longevity and sillage of OV or SMW and the like and those are usually the hardcore Creed fans who will never accept any criticism of Creed. Perhaps their unique skin chemistry allows for this wonder (it's not the product and we know it) and perhaps that's how they turned into Creed fans. I respect that. Just didn't work for me but can't blame the authorized retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    I just now noticed the pictures - in the first picture, it definitely looks like the one on the right has turned, at least a little.
    No, that's the color of the liquid. It's supposed to be that color.. the one on the left doesn't look like that because the liquid is below the fading green bottle design
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

NM may be unfairly receiving a bad rap here. There's little evidence that they sold a defective product. Given the variability between batches of fragrances produced by Creed (some have suggested that this is because of the amount of natural ingridients they use in their production process), one should be hesitant in assigning the variability in the products tested to defectiveness in the product purchased.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I have never had a Creed fragrance "go off" in my 20 years of experience with this house. At the worst, the top notes start to dissipate ever so slightly after several years of storage.

Your Order Total

Can you not find OV in Canada? Also, why are you paying tax if you're buying from the US? I could've went to the Neiman here in Chicago and bought it and saved you around $100.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I'm pretty sure Holt Renfrew carries Creed, and there's a retail location in Montreal. Did you check? They sell the big 4.0oz bottles for about $300. I suggest Holts check time if you're in the market for a Creed again.

EDIT:

Holt Renfrew
    Montreal
    1300 Sherbrooke Street West
    Montreal, QC H3G 1H9
    (514) 842-5111
    Last edited by nsamadi; 26th June 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Neiman Marcus is very efficient. When I want Petrossian Beluga shipped to Canada, a perishable food item, I get it packed inside ice-packs without any trouble at all and clear it myself at the airport.

Your Neiman Marcus representative should be able to ship your Creed along with any other little nibbles you like to have stocked in that manner without any trouble.

Cheers.

Vassaari

Renato, while I have not tried it on other people, I have tried it on both my clothes and body.

I have had two samples from different vendors (Raffy and Perfume Bay).

In both cases, I poured it on my skin and it lasted for hours, to the extent where at the end of my work day, I could still feel "waves" escaping from under my scarf (it was winter).

I have now had the Perfume Bay 4oz bottle for about a year. I have thus worn it on both my skin and body on multiple occasions, in various quantities depending on how desperate I got. It indeed lasts only a few minutes. My clothes don't even smell an hint of it the next day. I can't even tell that I poured anything on my skin after a few minutes.

The bottle from Neiman is the same as the Perfume Bay one.
    As I don't think heat would do it either (unless it was the type that fries eggs), that means there is an incredible amount of variability in this scent. Which explains the my short lasting experiences with it as well.
    Renato