Code of Conduct

Default Smelled the new L'artisan by Bertrand Duchaufour

I was surprised that this scent was composed by him, ultra clean, MEGA green scent. I'm not sure on this one yet, very feminine, reminds me of Union sq. by bond, except instead of a freesia heart it has a leafy green accord. Anyone else smelled this? comments? The name of the scent is Eau de Llane
    Last edited by musclegod007; 27th June 2008 at 05:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smelled the new L'artisan by Bertrand Duchaufour

Sounds like it might be Eau de LIane, if it's the the same frag as described in This Blog Entry.

If so, sounds intriguing and it looks like an October release date. Which would be a good time for a green scent around these parts.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007 View Post
    I was surprised that this scent was composed by him, ultra clean, MEGA green scent. I'm not sure on this one yet, very feminine, reminds me of Union sq. by bond, except instead of a freesia heart it has a leafy green accord. Anyone else smelled this? comments? BTW I can't remember the name. something of the vines.
    Very interesting. His last scent for Eau d'Italie was very much like you described...perhaps he's taken a turn for the worst!

It might be an indication of high-end niche trend then; Diptyque's recent Eau de Lierre is all green with ivy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that info DustB. I think one of my Diptyque samples is Eau de Lierre. Wasn't sure what it was about. But that sounds intriguing.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Off-Scenter

I agree with sofresh: this one could be along the lines of Magnolia Romana. I actually liked Magnolia Romana, so I for me the new scent holds promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I agree with sofresh: this one could be along the lines of Magnolia Romana. I actually liked Magnolia Romana, so I for me the new scent holds promise.
    I liked Magnolia Romana, but it was a bit mundane for Duchaufour...I guess I was expecting something with a bit more punch. I wouldn't turn down a bottle, but I doubt I would buy one either.

Basenotes Institution

What makes it 'feminine' smelling to you musclegod007? Florals? The overall effect?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    So do I! I really found Magnolia Romana a nice turn on the marine notes from Duchaufour and probably the brightest and wearable of Eau d'Italie scents. Green scents and colognes are indeed the latest trend in perfumery. Duchaufour is one of the most interesting noses around lately and I guess, even if it will be a turn on the theme of Magnolia Romana, he won't disappoint us. I also have high hopes on this scent because it's the first scent concocted as in-house nose, and maybe he's not so dummy in putting out something boring.

I see this one aimed more to the female crowd, that's what I mean by feminine. However, that has not stopped me from buying a scent, ever. I will re-visit this one soon.
    Last edited by musclegod007; 27th June 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What makes it 'feminine' smelling to you musclegod007? Florals? The overall effect?
    Magnolia Romana didn't smell at all "feminine" on me. The sharp, peppery kick it packs makes it squarely unisex to my nose.

Here, by the way, is my full review, for those who don't browse the Directory:

Neither of the two earlier Eau díItalie scents Iíve tried Ė Sienne líHiver or Bois díOmbrie Ė pleased me much, but I just had to know what Bertrand Duchaufour, master of dark, smoky incense, would do with an aquatic floral. Magnolia Romana goes on with a blend of green floral notes and smoky (yes smoky,) nutmeg so beautifully calculated that I want to freeze the opening in place for hours. But after a few minutes an aquatic accord wells up to douse the smoke, and Magnolia Romana emerges quickly and dramatically from veiled mystery to limpid clarity. Bright rose, crisp cypress, and ozone/calone notes blend into an accord that smells more of lotus than magnolia to me, while a very hard-edged cedar interacts with the rose to yield a nose-tingling peppery accent.

Itís that sharp, peppery edge that keeps me engaged as Magnolia Romana develops. Its bitter dissonance rescues the scent from the comfortable blandness that ruins so many watery florals. Another redeeming feature is an utter lack of sugar. Most similarly structured scents I know wallow in gobs of tropical fruit syrup, but this one eschews the melon margarita mix for a bracing shot of Campari.

Once it reveals its cool, bitter heart Magnolia Romana remains linear for three or four hours before folding down into its cedar base. Though not a weak scent, it wears close to the skin, even when applied generously. Magnolia Romana is not a scent for those who enjoy filling a room with their fragrance, but I can recommend it as a warm weather option for anyone who hankers after a sugar free variation on the aquatic green floral theme.

26 June 2008