Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: chest hair?

Default chest hair?

I'm a bit of a hairy guy, though fortunately I don't have back hair. I've got a bit of chest hair and it always pokes through shirts I wear (polos). I think it looks a bit tacky in a 70's kind of way. I don't think I'm that vain but I tend to shave off part of it. What do you think, wierd... too vain? I'd never pluck my eyebrows or anything like that, and I've got a neat, short beard.

Default Re: chest hair?

Whatever makes you feel good man. Weird is only a state of mind. I don't have much chest hair but if I did and it bothered me I'd surely wax. If it makes you feel better, many NFL players wax eyebrows, back, and chest. Now who's gonna tell a 250 lb lineman he's a sissy?

Cheers,
    Al

My opinion: keep chest hair. ALWAYS.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th June 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Im of Greek descent, so I have plenty of chest hair. There's no shame in it.

Chest hair = good.
    Back hair = OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

If your chest hair pokes through your polo's you have 2 options...

1. Trim the hair a little shorter with a trimmer, or
    2. Stop wearing polos. (This is perhaps the preferred option, IMO)
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 26th June 2008 at 10:46 PM.

If you have a nicely toned body, wax it. It will make your chest/upper abdominal muscles more visible.
    Last edited by Sartorialiste; 26th June 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Trim the hair a little shorter with a trimmer
    Dimitri said it.

Don't shave it (or wax it) off completely, just trim it. That way you still sport a naturally looking hairy chest, but it's not creeping up and over shirt cuffs, etc.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yup. Trim it. With a clipper guard on your hair clippers. I have lots of chest hair that I keep tamed with a #3 guard.

I'd go with trimming, if it's overly long, otherwise leave it alone. Unless you have 8% bodyfat or less, the waxed look is not a good one. And men with a bit of padding always look better with some hair.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    My opinion: keep chest hair. ALWAYS.
    I totally agree!

I'm so proud of my hairy chest... And scents last longer

:brolly:

If you are going to remove any of it...wax it, don't shave it. Not that you're parading around with your shirt off or anything (maybe?), but chest stubble is not hot...ever. Trimming is okay, but shaving...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I'd go with trimming, if it's overly long, otherwise leave it alone. Unless you have 8% bodyfat or less, the waxed look is not a good one. And men with a bit of padding always look better with some hair.

Ditto. Good advice.
    Last edited by OKJazz; 27th June 2008 at 02:48 PM.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Doesn't waxing cause ingrown hairs? Also, it's not something you could do at home, right? You can forget me going in to get anything waxed, not going to happen
    Last edited by Magnulus; 28th June 2008 at 06:19 AM.

I'm pretty sure shaving is worse for causing ingrown hairs.

You can wax yourself...but a professional would make it hurt much, much less. I'm sure with time & practice you'd get it down to a science though.

I'd stick with trimming if you're not comfortable with that.

Body builders shave/wax their body to highlight every little detail. Unless you have the perfect body which can stand up to this scrutiny, you are just going to highlight your flaws. A good trim if you think your body hair is too long. Besides most women prefer men with a few, but not too many or big, rough edges.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

i have the same issue...just trim the part with scissors that poke out and also cut the hair around your nips that get out of control...what some refer to as a light manscape...ha ha...dont shave it, just trim it.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Dependent

. . .
    Last edited by MFJ; 22nd July 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Trim if you must, but don't remove it altogether.

From a woman's point of view... I don't mind it. I hate armpit hair, but here that's a common sense thing to remove so heh. I knew I wouldn't be able to live with an American even if I don't care about the damned toilet seat. jk

Now, my boyfriend has chest hair and I don't really care about it. But again, if you have a really defined, worked out body you should shave it to show off your gains, I think. I'm perfectly fine with both. The only hair I hate on guys is back hair, armpit hair and the hair down there. lol

Cool Re: chest hair?

Chest hair = good.

If your chest hair pokes through your polo's you have 2 options...

1. Trim the hair a little shorter with a trimmer, or
    2. Stop wearing polos. (This is perhaps the preferred option, IMO)

By all means. Me Tarzan. If some Jane wants a Leonardo di Caprio let her correspond and share her mutual passion with some inmate in Folsom named Bubba. There's other Janes around.

As long as one does not wear gold chains or greet strangers with: " And how are you, my friend. " I doubt it's a subject for apology.

Hey, a hairy chest worked on Sean Connery, and it works on me.

I do dislike polo shirts, though. I find them rather --unimaginative.
    Who died, became fashion God, and decreed them to be " upscale casual? "

Is it just an American fad? Have The French succumbed as well?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Don't wax unless you have a great defined body. The best thing is to TRIM it a little bit, so it will have much less volume.
    If you have a lot of hair on your back and butt, you should at least trim it. All hollywood stars have smooth butts.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 4th August 2008 at 05:08 AM.

I have SOME chest hair and I keep it, always

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

In my opinion, your body is yours so do whatever you enjoy with it. Have fun and if you make a mistake that looks ridiculous, laugh it off and try something else next time. Chest hair can be groomed just like head or facial hair, proper trimming can highlight or hide your physique. Waxing will reveal everything, but if you don't like the result, it will always grow back. Manscaping doesn't necessarily mean going totally naked, the can provide shading in the right places to totally enhance your shape.

Chest hair = good.
    I agree -- at least up to a point. I have very fine blond hair all over my back and shoulders; however, I keep it trimmed down to the skin with a little Wahl Peanut©. Some might find it very sexy in a Viking-ish way; however, I personally find it annoying.

Still (and laugh all you will) some guys can actually pull off back hair. I saw a "bear" at the pool this weekend who had both back hair AND a bit of a gut and STILL had more guys on him than flies on shit. What I'm saying is that different guys can pull off different things, just as some women can get away with shaved heads, but never others. I think confidence has a lot to do with this, as does native sexiness (or the lack thereof). Or maybe this is just a gay thing -- I dunno. You straight gals wanna weigh in on this one?

But, again, back and shoulder hair aside: leave that chest hair alone, guys! I shampoo and comb mine -- nothing more. I like smooth guys, too, but a nice hairy chest is a true thing of beauty.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Still (and laugh all you will) some guys can actually pull off back hair. I saw a "bear" at the pool this weekend who had both back hair AND a bit of a gut and STILL had more guys on him than flies on shit. What I'm saying is that different guys can pull off different things, just as some women can get away with shaved heads, but never others. I think confidence has a lot to do with this, as does native sexiness (or the lack thereof). Or maybe this is just a gay thing -- I dunno. You straight gals wanna weigh in on this one?
    Yeah, it's completely about what each individual can pull off. This goes for fashion as well as grooming choices...for example, Dimitri looks confident and manly wearing a kilt, but my husband would look like he was dressed in a halloween costume if he wore one! But getting back to the chest/body hair thing...
    all in all I think a man looks sexiest when he's a bit 'rough aroung the edges'. Too much primping is a turn off. So, let your hair grow where it may!

I've tried both, and trimmed is better than not trimmed, especially when it starts to turn gray. The same is true for the arms and hands. For me, shaving works better on the shoulders.

If you are worried about chest hair sticking out through your shirt, wear a shirt underneath that one that will act like a buffer.
    Last edited by Maz24; 5th August 2008 at 06:31 AM.

I am proud about my furry chest, nothing to be shy about... would never trim or wax.. ever.. ...
    see M7 ad.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of back hair and I am fairly certain the majority of women aren't either. I would encourage waxing for a furry back. Anywhere else, some women might have a personal preference, but if it's there fine, if not fine. You don't have to wax, but you can't go wrong with neatly trimmed if you have a lot of it.

Some guys just wear t-shirts underneath to tame the hair.

Just stay as you are, really.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

If it pokes out, get rid of it. The age of David Hasselhoff is long dead and gone.

Epilate it. It's cheaper than waxing in the long run and gives you the same result.

Another woman weighing in (couldn't resist the thread title). . .

If it bothers you, trim it. But I agree with the other women--don't wax, shave, or otherwise remove it. Most women I know prefer some hair to a totally waxed chest. Of course, it may be generational, given that my friends are in their 30s and 40s.

BTW, Has anyone seen the waxing scene in The 40-Year-Old Virgin?
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Plus

Thumbs up Re: chest hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Just stay as you are, really.
    -A big DITTO! I love a man au naturel.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    -A big DITTO! I love a man au naturel.
    I wish every woman on the face of earth understands this.

Quote Originally Posted by play View Post
    I wish every woman on the face of earth understands this.
    Some of us also wish that certain men would also understand this.

I'm against too much Manscaping personally, perhaps because I can't be bothered myself.

I don't think there's anything that bad about a little chest hair popping up in your polo shirt, but if it really bothers you, trim it, don't wax it. Very few girls (or guys for that matter) want that much competition for the Nair.

I'm into my body and being shredded and having my veins bulging. Hair masks these things, so I shave entirely.

Trimming is an easier option, of course.

Of Persian descent, I have a good amount of body hair. Perfect amount really. Sometimes I let it all grow out for change. But I generally prefer smooth.

It doesn't matter really. Girls are the ones who are supposed to be pretty. It's a personal thing..

I'm fine with my chest hair. I'm not fine with the hair surrounding my araeolae, especially when it grows longest there.

Personally speaking, although I'm quite comfortable with my chest hair, and, besides, the amount of it is not too significant, yet I tend to remove it once in a while. But without keeping a too strict or tight schedule, sometimes I just let it grow freely and yet other times I remove it.

So for those of you that trim... what guard do you use on the trimmer or clippers? i.e. how long do you leave it?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I have around 12 chest hairs at any one time so I can't offer guidance on this. Eyebrows, though, I have in abundance. Or eyebrow, nearly, and those--or that--I trim without feeling at all guilty or vain or as if I'm betraying my Neanderthal brothers.

My chest and back are both very hairy, just like the George "The Animal" Steele. I like it this way. I do shave my armpits once every 2 weeks.

Smile Re: chest hair?

Unfortunately, I'm a swarthy, hairy kind of guy. My chest is really hairy but fortunately for me, my back is not. I use a clipper at a #1 setting to keep my chest hairs trim (I won't shave my chest with a razor). I also hate when hairs show out of a knit polo or tee shirt. I feel like a freak. I make sure that my chest is trim when I go to the beach. I do not shave any where else just my face (2 times per day if I'm going out in the evening).

I'm currently going after a six pack and i'm down to around 8.3% body fat so I shave. It'd be kinda weird to have a thin, fit physique and have hair all over it I've never tried waxing.. that seems too painful

Blog Entries

May a woman weigh in on this issue?

I like chest hair on a guy. No, actually I love it. Hair peeking out of a polo shirt is sexy. As far as I'm concerned no man should feel he has to remove his chest hair.

But then I'm middle aged. My teenaged daughter thinks chest hair is disgusting. I suppose each generation needs to do what works for them....

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I'm currently going after a six pack and i'm down to around 8.3% body fat so I shave. It'd be kinda weird to have a thin, fit physique and have hair all over it I've never tried waxing.. that seems too painful
    Hugh Jackman has a thin physique with lots of chest hair (he supposedly gained 30lbs of muscle for Wolverine but he's still scrawny in my book). He doesn't look too weird and I think he has even more definition than a 6 pack, like an 8 pack but its hard to tell under the layers of fur. If he was a foot shorter he'd have been perfect for Wolverine. I think Wolverine is 5'1 and Hugh is 6'3.

- Al

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I like chest hair on a guy. No, actually I love it. Hair peeking out of a polo shirt is sexy. As far as I'm concerned no man should feel he has to remove his chest hair.
    I think it is sexy too.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm fine with my chest hair. Masculinity should be embraced and not subject to apology... That being said, the problem with shaving / removing chest hair is that if you remove the hair on your chest, you almost have to remove the hair on the rest of your body as well. A clean shaven chest with hairy arms & legs looks ridiculous, imo...

I keep the rest of my body hair trimmed, but I leave my chest hair. I've found its the only body hair that girls actually find attractive. Granted, I keep it about 1/2"-3/4", so its long enough to be noticable, but not that "hamburger-meat all popping up through a collar" shit.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 4th June 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm fine with my chest hair. Masculinity should be embraced and not subject to apology... That being said, the problem with shaving / removing chest hair is that if you remove the hair on your chest, you almost have to remove the hair on the rest of your body as well. A clean shaven chest with hairy arms & legs looks ridiculous, imo...
    What do you mean?

He makes a strong point

I echo 30 Roses. A mature woman will like a real "man" with hair on a manly chest. A teenaged girl prefers the body of a boy--hairless and immature.

A man's chest hair is his mature virility. He should never remove it! I think my husband is very virile with his "fleece," as they say.

If one is an athlete or model, one might have to wax, though. This is a matter of aesthetics and not a practicality issue. Give me a real man any day!
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th June 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Definitive proof that chest hair is sexy:

Tom Jones insured his chest hair for $7 million last year. Confirmed by Lloyd's of London.
    I rest my case.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009959169

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Definitive proof that chest hair is sexy:

Tom Jones insured his chest hair for $7 million last year. Confirmed by Lloyd's of London.
    I rest my case.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009959169
    Yeah baby!

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

As an Italian, you would think I'd be olive skinned and hairy. My father has so much body hair it looks like he's wearing a sweater. Even his back is completely covered. My mom is olive complected and jet black hair.

I was robbed I tell ya. Light brown hair, blue eyes and no body hair ever. What kind of freakin Italiano is that? Our milkman back then was an African American, so don't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    As an Italian, you would think I'd be olive skinned and hairy. My father has so much body hair it looks like he's wearing a sweater. Even his back is completely covered. My mom is olive complected and jet black hair.

I was robbed I tell ya. Light brown hair, blue eyes and no body hair ever. What kind of freakin Italiano is that? Our milkman back then was an African American, so don't go there.
    I can relate with you bro. My Dad's side of the family look like wookies. Hairy all over. And they have light colored eyes with dark straight hair and olive skin. My mom's side have light skin dark eyes with dark curly hair. I popped out like a hairless mole rat. Little to any chest hair with hazel eyes and an odd amalgam of olive and fair skin with wavy hair. But I'm somehow taller than both sides of my family. Our mailman was tall. Hmmm . . . .

Luckily the women I generally date find chest hair unattractive. But they are 18-22 year old girls though.

- Al
    Last edited by anak; 27th June 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Although I don't have much chest hair, I tend to remove it (once in a while).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 9th August 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Im a big believer in Manscaping , get your self a buzzer and trim to a workable and desirable length

Chest hair totally rocks , keep it

i shave the ones on my uppr chest that come out of my shirt