Code of Conduct

Default 80's Power Frags... But Not!

Does anyone have any recommendations for scents that capture the spirit and essence of some of the big power frags of the 1980's, only with a more modern touch? I would prefer to start off with designer frags, but if you feel a certain niche scent is a good example, then feel free to suggest that as well...

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: 80's Power Frags... But Not!

Escada Pour Homme (boozy goodness)
    Fendi Uomo (spicy leathery goodness)

i quite like Xeryus as well, although it's not as interesting as the other two IMO.

Carven Pour Homme and Jaipur are two that instantly come to mind. And what about Chanel Allure Edition Blanche?

You might want to try Giorgio Beverly Hills. This is one of my favorites of all time and has recently been re-issued and possibly re-formulated.
    GBH has this way of changing like no other fragrance I have ever tried. I think they used to use a lot of quality stuff in it.
    GBH always made me feel like I OWNED Rodeo Drive, even in my small home-town.

Fragrancenet
    coupon code: MRCH97
    GBH 4oz. $27.38 !!!

Possibly some of the newer and fresher versions of Kouros as well.
    Last edited by weylin; 27th June 2008 at 05:54 AM.

To my nose, Guerlain L'Instant (men's version) is a good modern one that is in the spirit of the 80's. L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense I smelled only once, but I think it fits into that genre also.

I also vote for Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

You might want to check out Panama from Italian hatter Borsalino. HUGE 80's silage! Although in fact it's a rather new frag, a 2007 release I believe.

Scent wise it's a bit hard to categorize, it has some aspects of Divine's L'Homme Sage (the powdery orris part), but more gourmand, a bit like A*men. Dry down is a mixture of Armani Code, Boss Soul and Aigner Black with some cigars and leather thrown in for good measure.

To me it's too much of a good thing, but maybe some of you will like it for being so loud (I'm looking at you Dimitrios!).

No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Trussardi Uomo
    Puig's Sybaris
    Krizia
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Exclamation Re: 80's Power Frags... But Not!

Eh oops, I don't know how this happened, but I must have mixed two frags up!

I just checked that Borsalino again and this is NOT the scent I describe in the previous post. I went through a bunch of samples I received recently, but I can't remember which one it was.

Sorry about that. Hope nobody ran of to eBay and ordered a bottle.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

may i add Rochas LUI

Hugo Boss Number One !!!

R de Capucci is an 80s perfume that refined the masculine leathery chypre of the day to elegant Italian perfection beyond datedness. A true masterpiece.

Jil Sander Scent 79 Men is a brilliant contemporary interpretation of their classic 1981 Man Pure by Incense-Master Marc Buxton.

Malle's French Lover/Bois d'Orage "transparentizes" a classic 80s construction in 21st century style.

I would also mention Musc Ravageur and Mazzolari Lui, bogner Deep Forest (a 1995 fragrance which is very 80s, but introduced labdanum and incense notes) and if you like immortelle, Turin judges dior Eau Noire to be neoclassical.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Rochas Lui and Malle's French Lover seems good suggestions.
    I'd add also Narciso Rodriguez for him.

Narcisso R is a modern take on the classic fougere...
    Rive Gauche is also 80s barbershop to me
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Rive Gauche

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I'm surprised nobody's yet mentioned M7 and Egoiste.

Grab a bottle of Francesco Smalto for the real thing (it's not as harsh or as "primitive" as some). It's going for next to nothing now, but at some point soon the supply will dry up.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, I agree with Magnifiscent - Narciso Rodriguez for Him for sure. I believe Kurkdjian (the nose) created NRFH with the intention of it being a interpretation of men's fragrances from the 80's.

I also agree with the_good_life. French Lover by Frederic Malle has a very 80's vibe.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sung Homme - for the 80's.

For this current era I would agree with Mike on Narciso Rodriguez. Kurkdjian did drawer upon the 80's powerhouses Kouros, Xeryus, Polo in creating NRH - a wonderful scent that even works in the summer.
    Last edited by scentimus; 28th June 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Is Narciso really a power scent? IMHO it barely limps out the door. Gucci PH may be what you're after or any of Tom Ford pre-solo creations. Also try Halston Catalyst.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Unhappy Re: 80's Power Frags... But Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    You might want to check out Panama from Italian hatter Borsalino. HUGE 80's silage! Although in fact it's a rather new frag, a 2007 release I believe.

Scent wise it's a bit hard to categorize, it has some aspects of Divine's L'Homme Sage (the powdery orris part), but more gourmand, a bit like A*men. Dry down is a mixture of Armani Code, Boss Soul and Aigner Black with some cigars and leather thrown in for good measure.

To me it's too much of a good thing, but maybe some of you will like it for being so loud (I'm looking at you Dimitrios!).

IMPOSSIBLE! to find in the states.

Opium Pour Homme (1995)
    Cristobal Pour Homme (2000)
    Touch for Men (Hayman) (1995)
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory (2007)
    XS Pour Homme (1993)
    Tabacco Toscano (2008)
    Caravelle Epicee (2007)
    Juozas Statkevicius (2006)
    Brooks Brothers 1818 (2004)
    Cuir Mauresque (1996)
    Royale Heroes 1805 (2007)
    L'Anarchiste (2000)
    Carlos Santana for Men (2005)
    Ormonde Man (2004)
    Black Tourmaline (2007)
    Black Aoud (2006)
    L’Air du Desert Marocain (2006)
    Idole de Lubin (2005)
    Mazzolari Lui (2006)
    Monk (2005)
    Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him (2007)
    Ambre Sultan (1993)
    John Varvatos (2004)
    M7 (2002)
    Zegna Intenso (2007)
    Jaipur Homme (1997)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

carthusia uomo. 80's adapted in this times
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 28th June 2008 at 07:56 AM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond Nº9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

Scent 79 man, Jil Sander
    French Lover, F. Malle
    Rive Gauche p. H.
    Feuilles de Tabac, Miller Harris
    Tuscan Leather, Tom Ford
    XPEC Original

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Escada Pour Homme (boozy goodness)
    Fendi Uomo (spicy leathery goodness)

i quite like Xeryus as well, although it's not as interesting as the other two IMO.
    Escada Pour Homme can be found at our TjMaxx for around $10. It is really that good? Lucky me