Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Acqua Di Parma ?

Which Acqua Di Parma do you think would suit someone who wears Antaeus and Blenheim Bouquet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which Acqua Di Parma ?

Probably Colonia...

Post Thanks / Like

Colonia is the simplest, a perfect, all-natural citrus-floral with lemon, verbena, rose and ylang. To me the best.

The others add more notes for added complexity and intensified drydown, the most recent Intensa no longer has much to do with the original concept. But if Antaeus is your benchmark, its leather and wood notes would most likely suit you. I tend to think AdP is good at making classic cologne while there are superior alternatives for their other fragrances. Like Crown (now Anglia) Spiced Limes.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Having extensively used all three of the main Colonias I would say Intensa.

I love both of the other two Colonia and Asoluta, but if you like more robust fragrances then Intensa is going sit in the middle of Blenheim Bouquet and Antaeus. It in my experience it lasts longer than the other two too.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've been wearing Antaeus on and off for decades and I'm not crazy on Blenheim Bouquet but I think it's a classic well crafted manly citrus. Said that, despite my favourite Adp is Colonia Assoluta, I recognize that probably Intensa could fit your bill due to the slight leathery undertones. Anyway my suggestion is to give a try to all the three Colonias

Post Thanks / Like

Assoluta lasts longer than Colonia and the Intensa ones on me. That said, I don't own them but prefer my Lavenda Tonica instead.
    Renato

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas.

I've just tried Colonia and Intensa - what a tough choice!

I had to buy 50ml of each.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Thanks fellas.

I've just tried Colonia and Intensa - what a tough choice!

I had to buy 50ml of each.
    Well if I had to pick 2 out of the 3, those would be the same ones. They are quite different from each other - and I feel can be used for different times/occasions.

Assoluta is my least favorite of the 3.

IMO - Nothing compares to or beats the original Colonia.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th June 2008 at 12:57 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would put Colonia and Colonia Assoluta on my short list.

If you want a simple and great cologne, the Colonia is your thing,
    If you want a little bit more longevity and a bit more complexity - Assoluta is your thing.

I never really got "into" Intensa, it doesn't smell like the other Colonias to my nose so I was unsure why they put the "Colonia" in the title, too.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know Antaeus or Blenheim Bouquet...

My impressions of AdP are that Colonia is the classic cologne, citrus, lavender, light leather in the drydown. Colonia is a bit short lived. Colonia Intensa is unwearable because it has an ingredient that smells like ammonia to me. Colonia Assoluta is bright citrus on top, and a very sweet fougere underneath--I love this one best. It is also the heaviest of the three, and on me lasts pretty much all day.

I also really like Iris Noble, but I am not sure that was one of the possibilities

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried them both - one very small spray on the back of each hand at 9am and can still smell them now at 2pm . . . but they're fading now. the Colonia is slightly stronger than the Intensa.

The sales assistant did mention Assoluta but when she said "sweeter" it turned me off.

I never even considered the Iris version to be honest. Perhaps another visit.

I did try some of the 'single note' scents in the Blue Mediterraneo range: Orange, mint and fig. Of these, the Fig scent was outstanding but I'm not sure if it would be quite as wearable as the Colonia incarnations. It is one that I will be returning to sample in the very near future . . . a 'holiday' scent.

I very much like the fresh smell of the Colonia and I'm sure this will be ideal to wear to a couple of summer weddings I've got comming up.

The Intensa might be more suited to our regular Sunday afternoon BBQs with my brothers and sisters and all our kids and lots of beer.
    Last edited by joe mcclaine; 27th June 2008 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Which Acqua Di Parma ?

I prefer the assoluta. I don't think of it as sweet at all. To my nose it is a dry but very wearable citrus. It smells somewhat old fashioned to me. Victorian era I suppose,

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Post Thanks / Like

Intensa is not my cup of tea at all. Assoluta however is a great fresh, floral scent. I don't know the original Colonia, but from the reviews and comments I shouldn't be very sad, if I just have Assoluta.
    My recommendation is that one.

Post Thanks / Like

The sales assistant did mention Assoluta but when she said "sweeter" it turned me off.
    Really? It dries down into a fougere - it is not particularly sweet in general. Not sure how it would be "sweeter" than Colonia or Colonia Intensa ....
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm well into my first bottle of Colonia but last week I took advantage of the opportunity of being in a country (Spain) that actually carries Acqua di Parma to buy the Assoluta as I feel both are great and different enough to warrant having both. They gave me a couple samples of Assoluta & Intensa samples each. Maybe it'll be all three eventually!

Colonia Assoluta for me.....My favorite from the AdP Line.
    Gary

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've let the missus smell both now. She REALLY likes the Intensa. I really like the Colonia.

Win / Win.

I will eventually get round to trying the Assoluta - perhaps tomorrow when I'm in town - but I fear I might like it too much and end up walking out with a bottle of that too, and the fig, and some shaving soap.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Assoluta is my favorite. And that SA that told you that it's 'sweeter', is incorrect. It's not a sweet fragrance.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    And that SA that told you that it's 'sweeter', is incorrect. It's not a sweet fragrance.
    That is the impression I'm getting from these posts.

I am still very happy with the two I've got, and if I need to get Assoluta too then my kids will just have to go without shoes for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still very happy with the two I've got, and if I need to get Assoluta too then my kids will just have to go without shoes for a while.
    This would be a nice comment in the "you know you're a true basenoter, when..." thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I've let the missus smell both now. She REALLY likes the Intensa. I really like the Colonia.

Win / Win.

I will eventually get round to trying the Assoluta - perhaps tomorrow when I'm in town - but I fear I might like it too much and end up walking out with a bottle of that too, and the fig, and some shaving soap.
    If you test Assoluta, don't buy it till you do comparison testing between it and Art of Shaving Lemon Essential Oil (which you can get cheaper on line than the ADP).

To me, the AOS Lemon is a cross between ADP's Colonia Assoluta and ADP's marvellous aftershave balm (the one that's not associated with any particular ADP scent, but is stll lemony).
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 28th June 2008 at 04:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Assoluta is sweet on my skin. This is something I pay particular attention to since normally my skin really dries things out. I think there is a review in the database that talks about it being "cloying". I do not find it cloying at all, and the sweetness is maybe more of a "lack of dryness" if that makes sense. It definitely is not the usual vanilla-edible sweetness....

I love the Colonia and Assoluta, and will take one of them on vacation. Intensa is fine, but will not work or me in warm weather.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Assoluta today, and despite it being a very great fragrance I won't be rushing to buy it.

It seems to lie somewhere between the other two . . . to this amateur's nose anyway.