Code of Conduct

Default Frag for a warm night, suit and tie.....

I know there are threads with a similar vein out there, but I'd really like a fresh take.

GF + I will be attending a July wedding in St. Louis, and seeing my long departed father's family for the first time in ages. Classy Catholic wedding, evening reception at a prominent + trendy St. Louis venue (Windows on Washington - for those familiar w/ STL). I have always struggled with warm weather fragrance choices, preferring my cold weather M7, Gucci PH, etc. I'm OK in summer for a BBQ or something, typically choosing Mugler Cologne or Issey, but the formal wedding combined w/ heat, and an evening reception, has me at a paradox.

Suggestions? I want something with some degree of projection and silliage, but not cloying. Could I get away w/ a cold weather scent? I was thinking of TDH, which I own, but it's honestly not a favorite. Maybe a Chanel?

Thoughts are encouraged!! Thanks!

Default Re: Frag for a warm night, suit and tie.....

My choice for that particular type of occasion would be Puro Lino. Clean and classy - works well in warm weather

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My choice for that particular type of occasion would be Puro Lino. Clean and classy - works well in warm weather

Thank You. I am unfamiliar and am ordering a sample from Luckyscent as we speak.

Other thoughts???

I had once a formal wedding in mid-July with an insane heat and wore Declaration de Cartier and it worked nicely.
    I will have another wedding of a dear friend at the end of July and I'm deciding what to wear too: I don't know yet, maybe Colonia Assoluta, maybe Vetiver Extraordinaire, maybe something else.

I'd like to clarify that everything is inside / air conditioned, not an outdoor wedding. Just me leaning more toward cold weather frags!

Quote Originally Posted by MiloTheTerrier View Post
    Thank You. I am unfamiliar and am ordering a sample from Luckyscent as we speak.

Other thoughts???
    One other thought since your getting a sample from Luckyscent.

L' homme de coeur by Divine - At Luckyscent - Click on "Men" and go to page 3 to read about it. Check out reviews. People like this oine in warm weather too.

If you just click on 'Divine" you'll only see the womens selection for Divine.

There is a recent thread going on right now on L' homme de coeur to see more opinions.
    Last edited by thebeck; 27th June 2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add verbage

I wore Chanel Egoiste two weekends ago to a wedding. It was indoors and I think it worked rather nicely. I like Egoiste in the heat.

I would take M. Imperial by Creed (it doesn´t matter if it´s indoor or outdoor)...perfect for a summer-night and formal wear.

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Wedding followed by reception, meal and dancing, all in hot(ish) weather. I wore Floris JF and it worked a treat. Summery and fresh so it can't offend anyone but enough oomph to cut the mustard as a gentle evening frag as well.
    Depending on how well your skin holds it, you may need to take a sample vial to spritz a little extra on in the evening.

Thanks to all......

Any designer / accessible......i.e. Macy's Sephora recommendations?

I'm not opposed to a niche purchase but given the timeframe a local designer frag would be prudent.

Incidentally, this is my wardrobe:

M7
    Gucci PH1
    Gucci Envy
    Opium orient 07
    TM Cologne
    Hermes TDH
    Issey Miyake

Sur la Plage

I would suggest trying:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    YSL Pour Homme
    Acqua di Parma Colonia or Colonia Assoluta or Colonia Intensa
    Dior Homme
    Cartier Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Cartier L'Essence de Déclaration
    Tiffany for Men
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th June 2008 at 02:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tom Ford for Men or Bulgari PH Soir.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I was recently in Greece in the heat. There was a wedding between two prominent local families. Many men in (very nice) suits passed us by on their way to/from, nearly all to a man wearing Gucci pour Homme and smelling utterly fantastic.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Boucheron PH - you can't get anything classier than that!

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I was recently in Greece in the heat. There was a wedding between two prominent local families. Many men in (very nice) suits passed us by on their way to/from, nearly all to a man wearing Gucci pour Homme and smelling utterly fantastic.
    Wow.......Gucci PH1 in the heat. I didn't think I could get away with that. Opinions?

A light spray of Antaeus does the trick for me.

Works for a casual evening out in shorts or more formal in a suit (wedding reception).

Then again - even in summer here - we don't exactly have much heat.

Basenotes Institution

I've been trying to think of a response to this thread all afternoon, and then I stumbled upon a review by Vibert and it clicked: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. Try it!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've been trying to think of a response to this thread all afternoon, and then I stumbled upon a review by Vibert and it clicked: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. Try it!
    Mike I really appreciate the thought! I will be investigating Gris Clair.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would suggest trying:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    YSL Pour Homme
    Acqua di Parma Colonia or Colonia Assoluta or Colonia Intensa
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Great list. I'd add Bvlgari Pour Homme, Vetiver Extraordinaire and especially Dunhill For Men 1934 (which you can buy from the NYC Dunhill store, they will post it to you).

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Second Dunhill, though it's rich enough I might avoid it until it's cooler.

Also, Monsieur de Givenchy or Hermes Equipage.

I think Acqua di Parma Colonia is fantastic in the setting you describe. There are other good suggestions here too, like TBoner's Monsieur de Givenchy or Hermes Equipage.

Acqua di Parma can surely be found and tested at a StL brick and mortar store (I assume you live there) so you can find out if you like it or not. Here in DC Neiman Marcus carries lots of it.

Sounds like a very nice wedding!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I wore Chanel Egoiste two weekends ago to a wedding. It was indoors and I think it worked rather nicely. I like Egoiste in the heat.
    I would second this. Egoiste is a beautiful scent that I am just getting acquainted with.
    It strikes me as having a certain crystalline clarity that would be wonderful in heat.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Smile Re: Frag for a warm night, suit and tie.....

Oscar.. Works amazing for me in the summer

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

AdP - Colonia Assoluta
    Creed - Original Vetiver

Kiton Man.

Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Vetiver

For formal events, I like the following:

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    RL Safari
    Kiton Men
    Bleecker Street
    Rive Gauche
    Last edited by teflondog; 28th June 2008 at 05:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    For formal events, I like the following:

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    This was going to be my added suggestion, since you were mentioning Chanels. It has this sort of high-pitched brightness that projects coolness, giving both sillage and an illusion of cold. I wore it in 100-degree evening heat (indoor+outdoor) immediately after showering and dressing for dinner, and it performed wonderfully. Made for a romantic evening afterwards, too.

Hanae Mori (just tried) is also a cool scent to me, and more understated. Very light but definite sillage, and my wife liked it (she hates anything cloying).

I'm a TdH fan, but I think that Cartier Declaration or a variant would be a nicer take on the same sort of thing for an evening wedding.

I had a suit 'n tie gathering last night in a restaurant I knew was going to be very hot... I wore Le Labo Rose 31 which to my nose is a very dry scent. Worked out nicely
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Givenchy - Xeryus Rouge
    Last edited by whitechandoo; 28th June 2008 at 08:18 AM.

Gucci ENVY, no doubt!
    Last edited by innamoramento; 28th June 2008 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks for all the responses! I am undecided, which is fine......part of the fun of this hobby. A thought......I love M7, but have not experienced M7 Fresh. Would this be a possibility?

Thanks again to all.

M7 Fresh is a better and more wearable version of M7. But don't go for it as a summer time scent, because of the word "FRESH"! Its only fresher than M7!
    And if you like "L'eau D'issey" of your wardrobe, why don't you give its intense version a shot? Its more sophisticated and is suitable for a formal evening.

Funny you shoud mention TdH in your initial question ~ I was thinking to recommend a Jean-Claude Ellena creation! Many of his frags possess a dry character (perfect for a hot or even sweltering day) yet they are classy and well crafted...my husband just started wearing Hermessence Poivre Sacaramond (sp?) and it seems just right for your occassion! I also agree with Gris Clair as a perfect choice, and wether you wear it to this event or not, do give it a try!

big 3rd to SL Gris Clair, so cool & elegant, yet understated

also 2nds on the Aqua di Parma, Eau Sauvage and Bulgari pour Homme & Chanel Egoiste (on youtube they have the brilliant 80's tv ads for Egoiste, amazing!!) all cool characters, perfect for the heat but will hold their own in a/c

Cartier Declaration.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Vetiver by Geurlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MiloTheTerrier View Post
    Wow.......Gucci PH1 in the heat. I didn't think I could get away with that. Opinions?
    Why not? Less is more in the heat though. I've worn it on 95+ degree days and absolutely loved it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.