Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Something for my saddle-restoring, cigar-loving client

Hello, boys. I seldom hop the fence and visit over here. I apologize for not dropping by and serving coffee and freshly baked cookies more often.
    Here's the situation: One of my clients, knowing of my fragrance interest, is courteous enough to inquire about it when we meet to exchange work materials. Some day I should hand him a couple vials aimed at his preferences, just for hoots. The guy loves his coffee, so New Haarlem and TM's Pure Coffee should be amongst them, but I'm looking for a couple additional ideas related to his hobby of restoring saddles and occasionally enjoying a good cigar.

Could you darlings please nominate some fine leather and tobacco or smoke scents? I think VIP Room would be too sweet and floral for him to appreciate, and Cuir de Russie might be too abstract. I dunno. That's why I'm here.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Something for my saddle-restoring, cigar-loving client

Quarry!
    Nice to see you here indeed! And taking cookies mmm
    Uhm... Saddles, tobacco, smoke... leather... let me give you some suggestions
    Tauer Lonestar Memories comes first to my mind, but also
    Fumerie Turque
    Bois d'Ombrie
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Knize Ten
    Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Hope you will find something interesting among them

Manly rough/ready (birch tar) leather - Trumper Spanish Leather Cologne.

Refined/polished (non-birch tar) leather - Creed Royal English Leather

Horsey leather (with lots of other stuff in, leans towards unisex/feminine to me, I don't like it much but could be appropriate) - Creed Royal Delight.

Pervy s&m rubber/leather (probably not appropriate, but you never know ) Histoires de parfums - Marquis de Sade

Classy, old school traditional cologney leather - Dunhill for Men 1934

Tobacco - Creed Vintage Tabarome

now....where are those cookies? :-)
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 27th June 2008 at 02:10 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Just a handful of suggestions from me:

Creed Vintage Tabarome, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, D'Orsay Le Dandy and Czech & Speake Cuba are nice fragrances with tobacco notes in it; my favourite of these is Vintage Tabarome, while Le Dandy is the "safest" and most understated one. Tobacco Vanille is very gourmand, and Cuba comes nearest to the smell of real tobacco, combined with citrus notes and a beautiful, slightly dirty drydown.

As for leather, Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange is stunning! Very heavy and musky and for sure not too easy to wear. Cuir Ottomane by Parfum d'Empire, Fleur de Peau by Keiko Mecheri and Cuir de Lancome are further great versions of leather. Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather is ultra-dry and too harsh for my taste, but it may be worth a try. And finally, I'd like to suggest the simply wonderful Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer - smokey, leathery, deep and dark.

Good luck... and I'm looking forward to your freshly baked cookies next time

Derby by Guerlain

Vintage Tabarome - Creed
    Tabacco Toscano - Santa Maria Novella
    Acqua di Cuba - Santa Maria Novella
    Havana - Aramis
    Cuir Mauresque - Serge Lutens
    Royal English Leather - Creed
    1776 Russian Leather - Elsha
    Kolnisch Juchten - Parfums Regence
    Knize Ten - Knize
    Derby - Guerlian
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Devin - Aramis
    Eau d'Hermes - Hermes
    Jean Pascal - Jean Pascal
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory - Bond No.9
    Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme - Domenico Caraceni
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th June 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added Domenico Caraceni
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have often found that people who love smoking cigars and who work with leather don't want to smell like their hobbies! I understand that it's not always the case. I love chocolate but don't want to smell like a truffle!

I suggest Tauer's L'aur du Desert Marocain
    Or my favorite suggestion, Guerlain Vetiver
    Of course every guy smells great in Montale's Black Aoud (even the ones that swear they hate it)

I wish you tons of luck in your search.
    Last edited by paintrman; 27th June 2008 at 02:44 PM.

The smell of the saddle, mixed with the smell of the horse under it: L'Artisan Dzing!.
    As to the tobacco notes in Dzing, I'm not sure, but I've found no animalistic leather like Dzing!

If tobacco is more important, then second Fumerie Turque from Serge Lutens. In that the leather is not so dominant.

Basenotes Institution

((grabbing a handful of cookies))

I tend to agree with Kelley - he might not want to smell leather if he works around it all day. I think he sounds like he wants to smell masculine, for sure.

What about Gucci Pour Homme?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I agree with the idea of something with a classic and masculine feel. Aramis. My grandfather wore it for thirty years or more. It was my first scent and still among my favorites. Chanel Pour Monsieur, Malle's Bois d'Orage and Parfums de Nicolai New York also come to mind.
    Last edited by Sloan; 27th June 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hey, show a little ankle, brew some coffee, and set out the warm chocolate-chips and see what a great response!

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Yeah, I don't know that he actually wants to smell like his hobbies, but I don't really expect him lavish on any of these samples. I'm hoping he'd just be entertained that such amazing things are bottled and see that my being a perfumista (he said he did like that word) has greater depth than he ever might have imagined.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well, sounds like he's an older gent so Azzaro PH may work for him. Easy to find & cheap. Gucci PH would be good too.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Red face Re: Something for my saddle-restoring, cigar-loving client

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    now....where are those cookies? :-)
    Thought you English called them biscuits? ehhehhehee
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

There's a sampler for the Cuba series. Somewhere I saw Cuba Red, Gold, Blue, and Orange packaged together in a Cuba coffee mug (1.17 ounces each cigar shaped bottle) for around $15 or less.

I'm going to take a stab at this:

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Parfum D'Habit

I'd seriously recommend trying:

Bvlgari Black