Code of Conduct

Default Trip to Niemans for the tryout of Creed, Cartier and Acqua di Parma

On my ay to happy hour yesterday I stopped by a Niemans to finally give some of the favorites around here a twirl. I'm a neophyte so my opinions are basic but here is what I though....excuse me if my senses are way off. I was in a hurry and am reviewing the cards a day later and with my initial thoughts.

Creed Green Irish Tweed--Ummm Cool Water. I wore Cool Water for 4 years straight in the early to mid 90s. I loved it and got more compliments than anything I ever wore. So when this went on it was the first thing I noticed. After a few hours the dry down was very similar but GIT was a little more seductive or classic or something I can't put my finger on. It lasted a long time and it is the one I chose to put on to leave the store. Mys hirt still smelled amazing this morning. However for the price I'd rather pretend and buy a bottle of CW again and relive my past.

Creed Millesime Imperial and Himalaya--I had to put thse togethers because something happened to my testing cards....GIT attacked them and took over their smell. My initial reactions were I really enjoyed Himalaya. Really nice off the bat. MI I liked..a woodsiness..but nor as much as Himalaya but I need another test run because of the invading GIT to my senses and cards.

Cartier L'Essence de Déclaration-Love it. Can't stop smelling the card. I must admit that there was a love/hate going on with this right from the start. Something kept brining me back to the card but there was also a BO/Pencil shavings smell that drove me away. Hours later the card smelled perfect. Wonderful. Elegant

Pasha de Cartier-Pleasant at the start. Older smelling but I really was drawn to it. The next day though I was soso on it. Pleasant is a good word. Just not overwhelming

Acqua di Parma Colonia--Was not impressed to start because the citrus hit me strong but only after minutes it dies down and I was really impressed with the rest of the drydown. However the card kind of lost its smell after a bit

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa--LOVE it. At first I wasn't sure..almost like L'Essence..but as the drydown happened and the woodsy, smoky smell kicked in all I could think of was class. This is something I may purchase.

Terre d Hermes......Part II--A woman at the counter recommended it. I told her at first blush when I tried it before I was not impressed and was a little overwhelmed. She said if I used to wear Dreamer than I should like this one. So I asked for another card. This time I was more impressed. the problem is that I tried it on me the first time and almost had to wsh it off. On the card the woodsy nature stayed true and I wasn't AS overwhelmed. I might try part 3 another time

I guess I'll give these reviews as I give them a second try. Any comments to help me along are good. Tell me what I'm missing.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Trip to Niemans for the tryout of Creed, Cartier and Acqua di Parma

Why did you only try 3 Creeds when there are over 50 available?

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Time. They were all laid out but I only had a little extra time and I didn't want to go overload and ot be able to tell what I was smelling. the Galleria isn't far fromt he house.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th June 2008 at 09:12 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Talking Re: Trip to Niemans for the tryout of Creed, Cartier and Acqua di Parma

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    LOL! :brolly:
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    LOL! :brolly:
    Yeah but I'll make it back for more soon. Baby steps.
    --Ben Hogan

Those are some good ones you chose to try out, there. I've been wanting a bottle of Declaration L'Essence. Next time you go shopping, make sure to try Creed's Silver Mountain Water. It's probably my favorite from that house, and one of my favorites of all time. It also has pretty good longevity on my skin, which is ridiculously dry.

I really enjoy hearing first impressions for big scents like these from people newer to the "obsession." I know for me that I analyzed and judged scents very differently when I first got into the hobby (only a couple years ago really) and before I joined here to hear others' input, so I can relate.

I would suggest wearing GIT on your skin to allow the drydown to shine. It's only the first 10 min that resemble Cool Water. You'll also find that Himalaya and MI are SUPER different once you give them another look. Once you buy 1 bottle from your SA, they'll change their demeanor and be eager to give you carded samples to test at home later. Definitely give Silver Mountain Water a try (Olivier Creed's fave), Original Vetiver (a refined, black-tie Mugler Cologne), and Original Santal (Joop! done with less obnoxiousness). I also LOVE my big fatty bottle of Virgin Island Water, but some here don't appreciate its islandness There are plenty of others, but that's a good start.

If your Neiman's stocks Serge Lutens, drop by there too!

Welcome to the dangerously bank breaking, yet fantastic obsession
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I really enjoy hearing first impressions for big scents like these from people newer to the "obsession." I know for me that I analyzed and judged scents very differently when I first got into the hobby (only a couple years ago really) and before I joined here to hear others' input, so I can relate.

I would suggest wearing GIT on your skin to allow the drydown to shine. It's only the first 10 min that resemble Cool Water. You'll also find that Himalaya and MI are SUPER different once you give them another look. Once you buy 1 bottle from your SA, they'll change their demeanor and be eager to give you carded samples to test at home later. Definitely give Silver Mountain Water a try (Olivier Creed's fave), Original Vetiver (a refined, black-tie Mugler Cologne), and Original Santal (Joop! done with less obnoxiousness). I also LOVE my big fatty bottle of Virgin Island Water, but some here don't appreciate its islandness There are plenty of others, but that's a good start.

Thanks I'm scared..lol

I actually put GIT on the skin but not that much. I did notice a difference compared to Cool Water. There was definitely a smoothness missing in CW, even though I loved it in the past.

Thanks for the recommendations. When I go back I will allot more time and spend time studting them a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaximus View Post
    Those are some good ones you chose to try out, there. I've been wanting a bottle of Declaration L'Essence. Next time you go shopping, make sure to try Creed's Silver Mountain Water. It's probably my favorite from that house, and one of my favorites of all time. It also has pretty good longevity on my skin, which is ridiculously dry.
    I guess from both of you I need to try Silver Mountain. Declaration L'Essence definitely wowed me after the intial 30 minutes. Great stuff that I couldn't stop sniffing today.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th June 2008 at 12:37 AM.
    --Ben Hogan

Yeah definately try SMW. It has an extremely unique freshness to it, and then drys down very seductively. Which Niemans were you at by the way? Anyway, next time you go there be sure to also try the Tom Ford Private Line (they have them all - Try Moss Breeches, Noir Noir, Tobacco Vanille, Aoud Wood, and Tuscan Leather in particular) and the Clive Christian's (700 bucks a bottle - might as well smell it, right?). They are both very expensive, and you'd be hard pressed to find them anywhere else. Also, give Encre Noire a spray. Nieman's is nice, but also do try to find a Barney's store if you can...niche heaven.
    Last edited by leor_77; 29th June 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Yeah definately try SMW. It has an extremely unique freshness to it, and then drys down very seductively. Which Niemans were you at by the way? Anyway, next time you go there be sure to also try the Tom Ford Private Line (they have them all - Try Moss Breeches, Noir Noir, Tobacco Vanille, Aoud Wood, and Tuscan Leather in particular) and the Clive Christian's (700 bucks a bottle - might as well smell it, right?). They are both very expensive, and you'd be hard pressed to find them anywhere else. Also, give Encre Noire a spray. Nieman's is nice, but also do try to find a Barney's store if you can...niche heaven.
    Galleria in Houston. They had the Creed line laid out and the Cartier line. I will have to spend much more time there and really delve into alot more. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to bring a list this next time..lol
    --Ben Hogan

I revisted this trip today to delve a little deeper into Creed and this is what I found...lightening quick impressions and will expand tomorrow morning. I sprayed cards, put them in a binder and came back to them.

GIT--Second time around. I won't lie. I love it. As I said the first time, it starts all Cool Water but there is a smooth drydown that I can't pinpoint that I love. The HOT blond(don't tell on me to my wife) said it was her favorite and was sweet about helping me

Bois d Portugal--First try. All I can say is WOW. To me BOOZY...in a good way.Right now the card almost has a spicy/peppermint smell to it.

Green Valley--Love it. Just like...a green valley. Sweet yet not too much. Still on the card too which was surprising for a lighter scent.

Millesime Imperial--Absolutely beautiful smell. Really incredible. Too bad all I smell now are hints of it and the classy cardboard smell that is Creed tester cards

Vintage Tabarome--Strong, manly, woodsy, boozy too

Tabarome Millesime--Hospital astrigent, alcohol smell. Sterile. Something went wrong here, even after drydown.

Non-Creed

Colonia Intensa--Purchased this from ebear here already but still draws me in. Great

L'Artisan Fou d Absinthe--Christmas tree but in a good way.It dried quick and kind of left.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 03:16 AM.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I revisted this trip today to delve a little deeper into Creed and this is what I found...
    Creeds... Can't live with them, can't live without them

MI really is an amazing scent, at first when I tried it on my wrist from a sample vial it literally disappeared within 10 minutes, but I bought a bottle anyway To my sheer joy I've discovered that just two very reserved sprays to the neck in the morning and one spray to the chest (under the shirt) at around 11 AM will carry the scent aura with very nice projection until 6 PM comfortably.

GIT is great too, unfortunately many (myself emphatically included) found this fragrance to vary drastically from bottle to bottle. If you are lucky to find a "good" bottle and you love it, buy it, because another bottle you decide to buy later may smell very differently (I am still searching for the "golden batch", 4 bottles down - who knows how many more to go).

Have you tried Silver Mountain Water by any chance? At first I was not impressed at all and couldn't wait to wash it off, but after a couple of weeks and a couple more tries I actually bought a bottle from a fellow basenoter. To me it now smells upbeat, elegant and very unique.

Oh, and about L'Artisan's - they are amazing scents but just like in your experience, they won't last on my skin for any mentionable amount of time. Too bad, I love Passage d'Enfer and Navegar, but there is little point in buying bottles only to have to respray every half hour.

Igor, I used to feel the same about Artisan scents. They're extremely light in touch. I found if you just spray liberally (around 6 sprays) to the chest and stomach under your shirt, the forgettable sample turns into a mesmerizing experience you'll be happy you're on
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Mentioned on another thread that I have a GIT flacon on the way. Have a NM sample and will report on friday. I have used two bottles in the past and two bottles of SMW. Like both but my new favorite in the line is Green Valley (at least n this warm summer clime) agree as to above post Re MI Tab. There is a "note" that is "different" IMO..
    Last edited by richard d; 6th August 2008 at 02:44 AM.

Morning Star

Unless you yourself are a cardboard cutout, or you have been screwed by nature and have no "arm" real estate, you need to spray these on yourself and see how you like them over time. Smelling sticks are fine for a first pass, but you're not going to be gluing those to your skin before work in the morning. The fragrances you think you might like need to go on you. List them in order on a piece of paper, of course, so you can keep track.

Seriously, you should be walking out of that department store feeling like you've just had a patch test at an allergist's office, and leaving enough sillage behind you to alter weather patterns and induce visions of the Messiah. You're not testing Axe Body Spray there; none of those fragrances are "throw aways" if they don't work out ... unless you want to throw them in my direction.

Green Irish Tweed is considerably better than Cool Water, in my opinion. Cool Water has a sourness that appears after a while to which Green Irish Tweed appears to be immune. Bois du Portugal and "Vintage" Tabaróme are amazing, best of the Creed lot, I think. Concerning Acqua di Parma, you didn't mention Colonia Assoluta, which I think is the best of that house. I'd give it a shot, if it's available. Enjoy!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post

I appreciate the Islandness! Virgin Island Water is possibly my favourite but I love Silver Mountain Water too! I can't decide which one to wear to my brothers wedding.

Don't forget to try Erolfa, I think it's one of the most understated Creeds, it's really fresh, sometimes a little minty and salty. Definitely worth a try!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Sur la Plage

In my experience, the SAs at Neimans have been more then helpful to give you a couple of samples to take home with you also - to give it more of a proper wearing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Unless you yourself are a cardboard cutout, or you have been screwed by nature and have no "arm" real estate, you need to spray these on yourself and see how you like them over time. Smelling sticks are fine for a first pass, but you're not going to be gluing those to your skin before work in the morning. The fragrances you think you might like need to go on you. List them in order on a piece of paper, of course, so you can keep track.

Seriously, you should be walking out of that department store feeling like you've just had a patch test at an allergist's office, and leaving enough sillage behind you to alter weather patterns and induce visions of the Messiah. You're not testing Axe Body Spray there; none of those fragrances are "throw aways" if they don't work out ... unless you want to throw them in my direction.

Green Irish Tweed is considerably better than Cool Water, in my opinion. Cool Water has a sourness that appears after a while to which Green Irish Tweed appears to be immune. Bois du Portugal and "Vintage" Tabaróme are amazing, best of the Creed lot, I think. Concerning Acqua di Parma, you didn't mention Colonia Assoluta, which I think is the best of that house. I'd give it a shot, if it's available. Enjoy!
    I know. This was kind of a deviation before heading home to the wife and daughter so I didn't have alot of time and didn't want to show up just like I took a Creed bath..lol. I just really wanted to expand to a few other ones I hadn't tried and ti was alot of fun. I have actually walked out with GIT on before and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Creeds... Can't live with them, can't live without them

MI really is an amazing scent, at first when I tried it on my wrist from a sample vial it literally disappeared within 10 minutes, but I bought a bottle anyway To my sheer joy I've discovered that just two very reserved sprays to the neck in the morning and one spray to the chest (under the shirt) at around 11 AM will carry the scent aura with very nice projection until 6 PM comfortably.

GIT is great too, unfortunately many (myself emphatically included) found this fragrance to vary drastically from bottle to bottle. If you are lucky to find a "good" bottle and you love it, buy it, because another bottle you decide to buy later may smell very differently (I am still searching for the "golden batch", 4 bottles down - who knows how many more to go).

Have you tried Silver Mountain Water by any chance? At first I was not impressed at all and couldn't wait to wash it off, but after a couple of weeks and a couple more tries I actually bought a bottle from a fellow basenoter. To me it now smells upbeat, elegant and very unique.

Oh, and about L'Artisan's - they are amazing scents but just like in your experience, they won't last on my skin for any mentionable amount of time. Too bad, I love Passage d'Enfer and Navegar, but there is little point in buying bottles only to have to respray every half hour.
    On a card, yes I did but it got lost in the shuffle so I didn't give it a review. From what I smelled I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    In my experience, the SAs at Neimans have been more then helpful to give you a couple of samples to take home with you also - to give it more of a proper wearing.
    I'll have to ask next time. She was a cutie and I probably could have gotten a couple but I didn't want to push it without a purchase...she did mention the prices going up on Creed soon....pretty steep

As far as the morning after...after 12 hours...what I get from the cards

GIT--Still there and a little "darker"....love it

Bois d Portugal--Still strong on the card and still boozy and spicy

Green Valley--Still there. A little GIT in it but also a grassy natural smell to me. I looked at the reviews and am comfused why people would say it is like Fahrenheit..not even close. Like it alot.

Millesime Imperial--Absolutely beautiful smell from what is left on the card..almost nothing

Vintage Tabarome--Strong...besides GIT this is the only one at FULL stenght still. Old, deep, strong...like royalty would wear. You'd have to be able to pull this off.

Tabarome Millesime--Hospital astrigent, alcohol smell....STILL..my least favorite
    Non-Creed

Colonia Intensa--Can't wait until mine gets here. Gets better over 12 hours. Loses the dirty smell.

L'Artisan Fou d Absinthe--barely there but it is fir
    --Ben Hogan

Oh and besides the AdP Colonia Intensa I will maybe splurge within the year for a Creed.....I think..or find a tester or someone on here. Just one to dip the toe in with the AdP
    --Ben Hogan

You really need to head over to Kuhl-Linscomb and check out their perfume selection. They have the AdP as well as L'Artisan and Serge Lutens. You'll be there for hours, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnaea View Post
    You really need to head over to Kuhl-Linscomb and check out their perfume selection. They have the AdP as well as L'Artisan and Serge Lutens. You'll be there for hours, I promise.
    Yeah I read about that place..on W. Alabama, right?I'll have to drop by. Thanks
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Yes, on W. Alabama at Kirby, next to the Whole Foods.

Was just over there. I will have to drop in!!Nice to know.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th August 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I know this is off topic but is the antiquarian map store still across from Whole Foods?
    Last edited by surreality; 7th August 2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Hmmm. I don't know. Do you remember the name of the store?

Hmmm. I don't know. Do you remember the name of the store?
    I'm not sure either. I have been into that Cierra that is right there and didn't even know Kuhl-Linscomb was right behind it.
    --Ben Hogan