Code of Conduct

Default help me! need to get a fragrance for my BF..

My boyfriend ha s his birthday soon, and I was planning to buy him a good fragrance, since he doesn´t have any.. I myself dont know nothing about mens fragrances. Maybe something fresh and masculine..?

He´s 25 years, pretty boyish. he dresses up normally using loose pants and a cap.
    But he´s not totally ordinary. He´s a comicdrawer, with a dreaming and wise character. We are both pretty bohemic and artsy people..(kinda hippies).
    He´s sporty, confident, yet playful, and in my opinion, very sexy (of curse)

He likes fresh scents, but not aguatic.. I myself like oriental florals and chypre fruitys (gucci rush, 212 sexy, shalimar light, delices de cartier. euphoria, flowerbomb, poisons)

I really wish you could help me and recommend something!
    Last edited by dreamflower; 4th July 2008 at 12:49 AM.

Default Re: help me! need to get a fragrance for my BF..

Habit Rouge/Guerlain.

The notes include: fresh citrus, lemon, mandarin, spices, leather and vanilla.

It's quirky (but not a mad-man), artsy & bohemian (yet not an unwashed hippie), and playfully sexy.

I think this would suit the man you describe.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 4th July 2008 at 12:24 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Seriously, go to a local store and find one that makes you weak in the knees.

Hiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mi advices: Joop Nightflight (excellent!)
    Dolce Gabbana pour homme (fresh,classical,awesome)
    Narciso Rodriguez for him (fresh, new,modern, original)

Blessings in your relationship!

Basenotes Institution

Take him with you fragrance shopping - let him try a bunch of stuff that you and him can smell together. Buying someone a fragrance is extremely hard to do correctly (something he likes and is going to wear - not out of guilt because you bought it for him, but because he actually LIKES it).

The last three fragrances my husband has bought me I've hated.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th July 2008 at 01:41 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm gonna go with Versace's Dreamer. Its pretty different from a lot of scents out there, but smells damn good, and in my opinion, can be used any time of the year. This one has gotten me so many compliments, its ridiculous.

Creed Original Vetiver.

I think the dude sounds more like a Tabarome Millesime guy, if you're gonna go with Creed.

I hear a lot of good things about Geir, that would be fresh but not aquatic.

Hi Dreamflower, and welcome!

I immediately thought of Narciso Rodriguez For Him... its a modern, somewhat quirky fougere for men that can be worn both casually or formally. It has a nice hefty dose of patchouli which should satisfy the tree-hugging hippy in him! It has some interesting contrasts, and my wife thinks it rawks!
    Definitely worth a sniff!

Armani Attitude
    Gucci pour homme II
    Ice * Men
    -

Terre D'Hermes for the casual artsy fella...

Its fresh and also fruity (if you like your oranges to smell like they got plucked out from fresh dirt)
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

try something not fresh but yet sexy and very wearable.....Dirty English by Juicy Couture
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I've got to stick with Bossanova Boy and say Habit Rouge by Guerlain would be a good one. Very distinguished, very classic, but it isn't stuffy or un-hippy at all. Not square, I mean. It's also close to some of the ones you mentioned, especially since the word is that Habit Rouge was made to be sort of a male match for Shalimar. It's got subtle sweetness to it, and I mean subtle, so it will, I think, meet the sweet qualities in the ones you like and be much better and more classic than those.

It will also set him apart and be very cool since it isn't of any of the current trends and current things filling the market now, like the aquatics you want to avoid. He won't smell it on any other men, I mean, and neither will you. All his peers will be at the bars smelling the same with the bestseller scents, but he'll smell worlds more tasteful.

This is a deep and classic scent though, and sometimes it takes a while to discover all its qualities. Sometimes it isn't amazing until the third time a person wears it. It isn't made like scents that need to smell great right away in order to sell in the crowded market. It was blended originally in the 1960s when there were fewer men's scents available and men could take time to think over their scents and scent choices. And stick with them longer.

Habit Rouge will make him smell interesting to everyone who's lucky enough to get close to him. Not like all the other guys who all smell the same in today's aquatics.

Good luck!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Seriously, go to a local store and find one that makes you weak in the knees.
    i totally agree... test, try, and choose what you want to smell on him !! sure you have a good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The last three fragrances my husband has bought me I've hated.

You should really tie down the man to a chair and give him a serious perfumery lesson mike
    Jokes aside the better option is sampling together with him and decide what you both enjoy. But if you absolutely want it to be a surprise, go with him with the excuse of trying perfumes for you and let him try what you like better to see the comments, then come back alone and buy the one that he liked too.

I am joining the testing club with my advice.

You say he doesn´t have a fragrance yet? Why? May be he doesn't care or may be he doesn't like to wear fragrances. What's behind? Otherwise you get the situation that the bottle will remain staying at the closet and he'd feel guilty not wearing it and you may feel offended he doesn't wear your gift etc...

So - I hope it's not a gift you actually buy for yourself, because you like to smell it from your BF ;-)

But may be he is just new to fragrances and is interested. You can either go to the store and pick up some samples and figure it out how to let your BF to try them and find out what he thinks without gettiong suspicious. Or you can go to the shop with him at his birthday and chose a fragrance together. A nice idea may be to give him a "package" consisting of gift certificate from a perfumery shop, the address he has to go to (perfumery shop), city map and... may be something else. Let him meet you at the shop and have fun chosing the perfume together.

He likes it fresh, you like it sweet and spicy - fruity might be a compromise... Dolce&Gabanna The One for example.

Thanks so much for comments, I really should go to a store and smell some fragrances. Theres just so much choices, and I didnt know where to start looking, but now I know!

Actually some time ago I did take him to a perfumestore, but he just hates shopping, and wanted to get out of there. It isn´t that he wouldnt like fragrances (actually I got the idea of buing him one, cause one day he said that it would be nice to have a fragrance of his own, and he does like perfumed showergels and aftershaves), its just that he´s a typical finnish man, who thinks shopping cosmetics, clothes or much of anything is stubid and stressful, much better things to do blaa blaa blaa... and anything goes.. But I know, that if he doesnt like the scent, he wount be using it (no matter what he says).

So I guess its up to me now :P

Actually, he has had some fragrances before, but he cant remember what they were. I think they were just basic marketfragrances like adidas and axe (again, he hates shopping, and takes the first bottle that comes on his way) , I have a memory of some sort of axe, mut neither of us cant remember wich one. But I think he would like something that wouldnt be on everyones skin.. he just nightmares about shopping, and thinks Im better at that.

I still would like to have some advices, since we live in finland and many perfumes arent available in here. Only the most popular ones are. I might buy a perfume from internet without smelling it, but I´d have to be sure that it has had good rewiews, and that it´s "safe", still not boring. Or that I would know what it is similar to.
    For example Habit rouge is not selled here anymore, nor are any creed products.

I sure was planning to order a perfume from america anyway, since dollar is so much cheaper than euro these days. I found that the perfumes in FragranceX.com are very cheap to a finnish..

I immediately thought of habit rouge too when I read your description and before I read other posts. It is not really a fresh scent but I think you should give it a try. Also a masculine chypre may work, like signoricci. ..

Or maybe a Neroli Sauvage by Creed. Or Guerlain Imperiale eau de cologne. Something classic and elegant but not too conservative.

You can't take him shopping so get three samples from a friendly basenoter or an online store. Tell him he has to tell you which one he wants in a week after he gets the samples. He can't enjoy testing them in his own time without the stress of shopping....
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

OK so testing is out, and you may not have time to secretly order samples, try them out, then order the scent. So I'd advise you to buy Terre d'Hermes and/or Habit Rouge. You could probably buy BOTH on ebay for about $80 together (about what you'd pay for one retail). He could then have TDH for casual wear (it's fresh like you asked but with a flinty cedary twist) and HR for formal / classy wear.

PM me if you'd like some reliable e-tailers as I buy a lot on ebay.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Spray some Kouros on him and see if you both like it.

Exclamation Re: help me! need to get a fragrance for my BF..

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Buying someone a fragrance is extremely hard to do correctly
    ...Or perhaps impossible?!
    Anyway I would recommend these ones for trying, I wish it can help:
    -Dior Homme
    -Armani Code
    -Diesel Fuel For life
    -Creed Himalaya
    -Creed Original Vetiver
    -Antidote
    -Prada Amber Pour Homme
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamflower View Post

I sure was planning to order a perfume from america anyway, since dollar is so much cheaper than euro these days. I found that the perfumes in FragranceX.com are very cheap to a finnish..
    Well - be careful with purchases outside of EU - check your custom regulation first. What seem to be cheap in dollars may become expensive in euros as you have to pay VAT and administrative expenses for clearance. For example if I buy a fragrance above 22 in USA and let it come to Netherlands I have to pay 19% VAT and about 15 clearance charge.

I wish you success and fun in taming and grooming of your Viking ;-)

If he doesn't have one single scent, perhaps will not be upset receiving a scent as a gift - otherwise it's a good advice not to buy a scent for anybody else
    My recommendation is La Cologne Fleur du Male from Jean Paul Gaultier (within the opaque white torso, came out this year, it's important). It's a bit quirky, a bit hippy-ish, a bit (well, not so bit) fresh, a bit flowery, I find it appropriate, rather than Habit Rouge in this case.
    Last edited by Sandy; 5th July 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Its ok, I have ordered perfume sfrom america before.. I was expecting that I would have to pay some taxes, but there weren´t any.. :S Anyway in Finland the taxes would have been about 10e for 50e order.. not over expensive if you get 2 high quality perfumes (big bottles) for that price

Smile Re: help me! need to get a fragrance for my BF..

If he doesn't like to shop go to the store yourself. Get sample tubes of the ones you like and take them to him. If he still won't sample them spray him when he is asleep LOL.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Hi Dreamflower,

Perhaps you can send a PM to one of our other Finnish members. We have several (members like tigruska, PigeonMurderer or Tuomas), who will be able to advise you based on the scents currently available on the Finnish market.
    Just do a search for eg: tuomas using the site search function.

Good luck!

I would take the suggestions people haven given you here and sniff them in a store, then come back with your findings on them so we can advice you further based on that.

I´d suggest Tom of Finland though, even if its just for the name
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128878.html