Code of Conduct

Default Please - your thoughts on a few unknown to me

I am keen to hear your recent opinion on a few that I'm not familiar with at all. I had the opportunity to see them today, but not test

Rochas - Macassar
    Chevignon - Chevignon
    Balenciaga - Ho Hang
    Krizia - Uomo
    Lagerfeld - Classic
    Nina Ricci - Ricci Club
    Fendi - Uomo

I am heavily into heavy strong fragrances. Thanks!

Default Re: Please - your thoughts on a few unknown to me

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    I am keen to hear your recent opinion on a few that I'm not familiar with at all. I had the opportunity to see them today, but not test

Rochas - Macassar
    Chevignon - Chevignon
    Balenciaga - Ho Hang
    Krizia - Uomo
    Lagerfeld - Classic
    Nina Ricci - Ricci Club
    Fendi - Uomo

I am heavily into heavy strong fragrances. Thanks!

The only one I'm familiar with is Macassar - Excellent woody 80's power frag with sophistication - nice and strong. I'm into srong frags also. I'll tell you the strong ones I enjoy.

Duro by Nasomatto
    Sliver Aoud by Montale
    Aoud Flowers by Montale
    Black Tourmaline by Oliver Durbano
    Eau Noire by Dior
    New Haarlem by Bond #9
    Egoiste Concentree - ebay only
    Fougere Bengale

I've only tried the Lagerfeld and I enjoy it quite a lot... It's a powdery scent that's still very masculine... I would definitely recommend it...

**EDIT**

I've actually tried Fougere Bengale as well. While I enjoyed this one, there is a top note that is kind of rancid on me. This particular note extends well into the dry down. If this note was toned down by about 50%, I might consider buying it...
    Last edited by KMF; 28th June 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

If you like strong fragrances you will like Krizia Uomo, that's for sure. Also try Bijan for Men.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have not tried all of the ones you listed, but Macassar would be in my top ten if it was still in production.

Krizia Uomo and Ricci Club are also superb - both are in my top 20%.

(Ricci Club is available in at least two stengths - both are great but get the "Haute Concentration" if you can)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 29th June 2008 at 04:39 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Balenciaga - Ho Hang - Oldish style, and pretty strong from memory of when I smelled it three years ago.

Lagerfeld - Classic - Very powdery, old style oriental with lots of power (by old style I mean a better all rounder, not just a party scent).

Fendi - Uomo - 80's style woody powerhouse scent.

I don't know the others.
    Renato

My old notes...Krizia Uomo:
    Mainly herbal, then notes of moss and pine, also slightly aromatic. Well-made, medium projection, manly, very likeable, except it gave me a couple headaches.

Fendi Uomo:
    Masculine and leathery, but arid, with what seemed like lots of sage...I don't find sage in the note pyramid, though some sites say it contains marjoram, coriander and cypress, among other things. It made me think it's a cousin of Azzaro pour Homme. Some people have called Fendi Uomo an "old man" fragrance.

Rochas Macassar:
    This would be my favorite of these three. I agree with thebeck's description, and I shouldn't have sold my bottle. From what I can remember, it was a little like Azzaro Visit, but with much less nutmeg, though still a little sweet spice in there. And whereas Visit has cedar (and Gaiac), Macassar had a more distinctive woody scent, maybe with a bit of sage. A "darker" scent...I didn't get much citrus out of it at all.

If you do a search here, you'll find several threads on most if not all of the scents you're looking for.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 29th June 2008 at 11:55 AM.

I don't know any of them ...
    If you like strong fragrances, you should try Serge Lutens' creations.

NB : where do you find niche perfumes in Cape Town ?
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Thanks for all the responses!! Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I don't know any of them ...
    If you like strong fragrances, you should try Serge Lutens' creations.

NB : where do you find niche perfumes in Cape Town ?
    There is an online South African retailer (www.metrocosmetics.co.za) that stocks a few (Lutens included) and we have L'Artisan Parfumeur in Cape Town and Lorenzo Villoresi in Johannesburg.

How nice ! I used to get MAC in Cape Town because I couldn't find it in Belgium. Now they have shops in Germany (not too far away) and in Antwerp.

I've got family in Robertson, this is why. I love SA ! ;-)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Strong Fragrances?

Santos De Cartier.

Some have claimed that Chevignon is nearly identical to Polo Crest, so that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Some have claimed that Chevignon is nearly identical to Polo Crest, so that might help.
    CAUTION - that is the old formulation chevignon. The newer one (round bottle, silver top, white box) is nothing like polo at all. Hmm, I just looked for a pic and can't find one...wonder if it is still in production

edit - here it is
    http://www.escentual.com/Chevignon.html
    under chevignon chevignon

Its is an semi-oriental with an apple/plummy accord - quite nice
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th June 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

For a strong and excellent oriental (very spicy and ambery), Carven Homme may be the best, all things considered. Witness is great but not as powerful (more aromatic than heavy, almost like cinnamon incense, if there is such a thing).

If you like heavy, strong fragrances, I think Fendi Uomo would be a good one for you to check out. I agree with the description others have offered but would also add that it has tobacco and musk as well as woods and leather. It is "old school" for sure. I enjoy it when I'm in the mood for it.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 29th June 2008 at 05:59 PM.