Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First date! What to wear?

You guys seem great about recommending scents for every occasion under the sun, so I think I'll come to you guys for a little help. I met a girl at a party the other night, we hit it off right quick. The whole evening was pretty great, we talked and laughed and flirted for the better portion of the night. I mentioned that I had VIP tickets to a huge art's festival this weekend and she was eager to go. Now I have to find an appropriate scent to wear. The art's festival is outdoors in the afternoon and it should be hot. Mid 90's temperature-wise, so something fresh is clearly in order. If you guys could have a butchers at my wardrobe and pick something out, I'd be quite appreciative. My guy tells me to go with Geir, but I feel like it might get a little cloying. My second pick would be Mugler Cologne, but I feel like the fairer sex would more attracted to the Geir so I'm up in the air right now. Other suggestions are more than welcome. If age is a factor, we're both 20 years old. Thanks guys!

~ Mark
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First date! What to wear?

My choice would be Mugler Cologne as well.

You might want to consider Rive Gauche Pour Homme. I don't like Terre d'Hermes in extreme heat.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to play it safe:
    Geir Ness
    Mugler Cologne

If you want to be a bit more daring:
    Terre d' Hermes
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him

Out of all of them, I'd probably go for NRfH... Heat and a little bit of sweat really bring out the best in the scent...

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche, and save that Musc Ravageur for ur next date !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with much of the above. Mugler Cologne seems light and good for the heat. But is the longevity under heat good? I don't own it. Big hot festival means lots of hoofing, sweat, etc. Keep that in mind. I'm not familiar with Geir, but it sounds like KMF thinks it's safe. TdH is a fave of mine, but it makes me feel like a table-saw operator in the heat, so I agree on that too. Using it would be daring in a woody sort of way (!), and it has great longevity, but NRfH sounds potentially better to me as a daring scent, because I smelled it for the first time today and found it very intriguing. More importantly, it seems more original and less conservative than TdH, and you did say this was an art festival date. Now let me get speculative. Is this a real art chick, or a gal who just accepted an interesting date, or one who really likes you (sounds like maybe all three)? The Rive Gauche and discussion of YSL would likely be appreciated by a true art lover. Bringing us back to the eternal truth of the eternal "Which scent do chicks dig?" thread on the gals' board - YOU, your confidence, and your stimulating conversation (which it sounds like you have in hand already) are far more important than the scent. Don't wear something that will make you worry. Don't wear an unfamiliar scent that you can screw up. Wear something that you will forget - except for the unplanned event that she catches a whiff of it and smiles during a romantic moment.

You lucky dog. You flirt with a girl and she flirts back. I flirt with my wife and she doesn't even look up from her book. She just says "Did you brush your teeth?" Of course, marriage has other advantages...

Racquets (Penhaligon's)
    Musk (Lorenzo Villoresi)
    Habit Rouge, Le Mouchoir de Monsieur and even Vol de Nuit or Jicky (Guerlain)
    Equipage (Hermes)
    Last edited by Night; 29th June 2008 at 10:30 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

L'instant De Guerlain PH.

It's amazing how many female compliments I get when I wear this and a lot are from women in their 20's who say they would like to buy it for their boyfriends.

Seriously, don't overdo it with stuff like Rive Gauche ('you smell like my grandpa') that are appreciated here on BN but not always appreciated by the untrained nose.

If you're up for Geir, you're up for Geir. Don't overapply. Don't underapply. Apply.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 29th June 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Actually, a lot of girls in their 20s like Cool Water or Unforgivable. You can wear that for your first date, be nice smelling and save, and then crank it up for the subsequent dates.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd unpack that Chanel Allure you're trying to unload and wear it to the fest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Actually, a lot of girls in their 20s like Cool Water or Unforgivable. You can wear that for your first date, be nice smelling and save, and then crank it up for the subsequent dates.
    Dude, I was going to suggest exactly those two as well!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water? You're gonna smell like one of her ex's back in high school.

Why would you do that when you have other good (and suitable) scents like Fougeres Marines and Envy?

Not Cool Water, she will run away ....
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing.

If you must, however, simply spray a mist in front of you and walk through it.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Nothing.

If you must, however, simply spray a mist in front of you and walk through it.
    Word.

A very light spray of whatever you choose.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually, I'll be the oddball & suggest Euphoria. It's safe but still smells great. If you think it's TOO safe, though, I for sure echo the Mugler Cologne affirmations.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The idea of the mist is excellent, especially if you decide to wear something strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    You guys seem great about recommending scents for every occasion under the sun, so I think I'll come to you guys for a little help. I met a girl at a party the other night, we hit it off right quick. The whole evening was pretty great, we talked and laughed and flirted for the better portion of the night. I mentioned that I had VIP tickets to a huge art's festival this weekend and she was eager to go. Now I have to find an appropriate scent to wear. The art's festival is outdoors in the afternoon and it should be hot. Mid 90's temperature-wise, so something fresh is clearly in order. If you guys could have a butchers at my wardrobe and pick something out, I'd be quite appreciative. My guy tells me to go with Geir, but I feel like it might get a little cloying. My second pick would be Mugler Cologne, but I feel like the fairer sex would more attracted to the Geir so I'm up in the air right now. Other suggestions are more than welcome. If age is a factor, we're both 20 years old. Thanks guys!

~ Mark
    SO, what did you wear?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up going with the original gut instinct and applied a light mist of Geir, though Rive Gauche was strongly considered. In the end, I just didn't feel it to be the best choice for a first date outdoors. Perhaps I'll save it for the second though.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ended up going with the original gut instinct and applied a light mist of Geir, though Rive Gauche was strongly considered. In the end, I just didn't feel it to be the best choice for a first date outdoors. Perhaps I'll save it for the second though.
    Good thing you passed on the RG. Apparently it's been linked to erratic behavior in some women bystanders. You may want to wear some form of...errrr...protection on that second date.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: First date! What to wear?

Terre d' Hermés, very classy, fashion and noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes applied lightly. Good luck and enjoy your weekend.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Paris Hilton for men, it smells like watermelons and makes a great icebreaker is she comments on it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with L'Eau d'Issey, Rochas Man, Rive Gauche or The Dreamer by Versace for a first date.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's too late, but...

I would have suggested either Fougeres Marine or Mugler Cologne
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Heavy enough to unique for you and to be sexy and seductive to HER nose, and fresh enough to smell like someone of our generation.

I'm back in the dating scene and wear Platinum Egoiste or Desir by Rochas. Both prove a great hit with women.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

totally agree. I don't think there's a need to get an expensive niche scent for a first date, just go with something friendly and familiar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I'm back in the dating scene and wear Platinum Egoiste or Desir by Rochas. Both prove a great hit with women.
    I find Azzaro Chrome to be a more modern take on Platinum Egoiste, PE for today's 20-something. The trade of Sandalwood for Oakmoss in the base is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

from ur collection i would go with terre on
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno man, Terre D'Hermes reminds me STRONGLY of my grandmothers Chanel No. 5, may not be the best impression for a first date.

I'd go with Kouros to make more of a memorable impression, just a couple of sprays. Kouros is stellar warm weather frag. Go with the King.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The Rive Gauche and discussion of YSL would likely be appreciated by a true art lover. Bringing us back to the eternal truth of the eternal "Which scent do chicks dig?" thread on the gals' board - YOU, your confidence, and your stimulating conversation (which it sounds like you have in hand already) are far more important than the scent. Don't wear something that will make you worry. Don't wear an unfamiliar scent that you can screw up. Wear something that you will forget - except for the unplanned event that she catches a whiff of it and smiles during a romantic moment.
    Redneck Perfumisto summed it all up. Best advice I've seen on the subject.

Secretions Magnifique

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Taking a glance at your wardrobe, I'd suggest Gucci Envy or Davidoff's Cool Water
    Last edited by silverbullet; 19th February 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aechols View Post
    I'd go with L'Eau d'Issey, Rochas Man, Rive Gauche or The Dreamer by Versace for a first date.
    Are you just dying for topics to post on? You had to bring this back? Really?

FYI, I *don't* need to know what scent to wear on this date anymore...

Though I do appreciate all the feedback, lol.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sucker punched again, I always forget to look at the post date...lemming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Sucker punched again, I always forget to look at the post date...lemming
    It's ok lol. When I saw this back at the top of the list after not having seen it since June, I did a double take. I cant even imagine how many pages back it was.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry Touch, and she will emrace you like a wild animal!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you just dying for topics to post on? You had to bring this back? Really?

FYI, I *don't* need to know what scent to wear on this date anymore...

Though I do appreciate all the feedback, lol.
    So, tell us. Whatever happened with the girl?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Burberry Touch, and she will emrace you like a wild animal!
    clean underwear, in case she embraces you like an animal
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    clean underwear, in case she embraces you like an animal

He he.. Sorry, i ment "embrace"...Just a spelling error..

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    I find Azzaro Chrome to be a more modern take on Platinum Egoiste, PE for today's 20-something. The trade of Sandalwood for Oakmoss in the base is perfect.
    Really? That surprises me.

I have both and would never have associated Chrome with PE.

PE to me smells way more expensive (maybe because it actually is) than Chrome. I like Chrome, but I don't love it the way I love PE, which just exudes class in a way I don't think Chrome does. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrome, but I wouldn't wear it on a first date over PE.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

The biggest mistake is always wearing something you have never worn before. If you purchase something new for a date, trial it for a couple of days

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Homme or Gucci Envy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Cool Water? You're gonna smell like one of her ex's back in high school.

Why would you do that when you have other good (and suitable) scents like Fougeres Marines and Envy?
    Agreed!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

beleive me try allure homme sport so fresh and clean but sexy in same time
    only problem:not good sillage and longtevity
    also you can go with something like rochas man but also with same problem

LOL - this thread will never die!

LOL I can't believe people are still suggesting fragrances for a date that happened years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

For all we know Agent Zero is married and has children with that first date by now. But let's keep giving him advice nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

nope
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    For all we know Agent Zero is married and has children with that first date by now. But let's keep giving him advice nonetheless.

That would be a lovely story <3

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LoL , I never saw the date

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    That would be a lovely story
    Indeed.

He is still choosing a fragrance in front of his wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Stylin, I love your sense of humor as always, and of course your advice on the right frag for the occasions posed by the posters.

I would think either Acqua di Parma Assoluta or Creed MI would work very well in the heat for the 2nd date, realizing that they're not currently in OP's collection.

Musc Ravageur

If you want to play it safe go for git, if you want to be bold get with musc rav, tobac van, or pure malt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    LOL - this thread will never die!
    Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    LOL I can't believe people are still suggesting fragrances for a date that happened years ago.
    I love this thread. Brings back memories.....

Anyway, I'm with Brielle on this one. Clean underwear!

+1 on the clean underwear.

I know there is a women's scent made to smell like clean laundry, and its called Clean Laundry or something.

Why not a companion men's scent called Clean Underwear.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.