Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver aficionados: your thoughts on Nicolai Vetyver & Lubin Vetiver

So I'm looking to acquire a new vetiver. First thing I ought to note, or perhaps confess, is that I enjoy 'friendly' vetiver fragrances, not hardcore ones. The likes of LV's or MPG's vetivers are most definitely not my thing. At least not yet. Guerlain's (new formulation) left me rather undecided. I liked the topnotes but wasn't impressed by the drydown.

I adore Original Vetiver and recently received a sprayed card (unfortunately not a real sample) of Nicolai's Vetyver. Judging by the card, it could be just my thing - love the spiciness - though I'm concerned about longevity and too much soapiness. OV, by the way, doesn't strike me as soapy at all.

From reading lots of vetiver threads, Lubin's Le Vetiver sounds like it could also work for me. I haven't been able to get a sample, despite having written to Lubin twice.

I'm contemplating buying the Nicolai skin-blind as it were, and perhaps the Lubin blind as well. I guess what I'm really after is a spicy, woody, somewhat citrussy, bold but friendly vetiver.

Would anyone who knows both care to comment on them? Thanks!
    Last edited by ebear; 29th June 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vetiver aficionados: your thoughts on Nicolai Vetyver & Lubin Vetiver

I know the Nicolai Vetyver quite well... it is indeed VERY spicy - cumin being a highly noticeable component. I wouldn't say it was at all soapy and logevity is ok - would last a good 6-10 hours in my opinion. Have you also considered the Annick Goutal Vetiver? Another vetiver take this time with distinct sea salt/iodine elements.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Default Re: Vetiver aficionados: your thoughts on Nicolai Vetyver & Lubin Vetiver

I would go with the Nicolai. Its a much better and more distinctive fragrance than the Lubin. I own many vetiver scents and PdN's Vetyver is a one of a kind IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

From reading lots of vetiver threads, Lubin's Le Vetiver sounds like it could also work for me. I haven't been able to get a sample, despite having written to Lubin twice.

Luckyscent has samples for $3

Of the two you mentioned, I've tried Lubin's and it's good. However, I held off on buying it because I found it to be too similar to the original, former formulation of Guerlain's. At the time, I owned the good formulation.
    Since the current Guerlain formulation is nothing like it used to be, I'd go for Lubin now. The vetiver is not too dirty/earthy and since you mentioned LV and MPG aren't the type you're looking for (they are too dirty/earthy), this might work for you. Creed OV and Mugler's Cologne are on the opposite soapy end.
    The not too soapy clean, not too earthy, dry but not too bitter vetiver IMHO can also be found in Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire but I got no longevity from it.
    However, I'd like to recommend i profumo di Firenze's Fresco di Vetiver (sp?), which I myself am planning to buy next. It's amazing. Great citrus and balanced vetiver that's very...Italian, distinctive, and refreshing with good longevity.
    I've also tried Etro's but it didn't do much for me.
    Also give L'Artisan's Vetiver a try.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure gotta try the Nicolai Vetiver.
    When you can, throw us some more detailed comparison to Creed Orig. Vetiver
    Last edited by DULLAH; 30th June 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Both are great
    And not to miss Baladin by Nicolai (vetiver-suede friendly thing)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions!

I'll be ordering the Nicolai - still undecided about the Lubin - and will report back. :-)
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    (swaps)
    (sales)

A newbie here - but in my opinion:

The Lubin Vetiver smells very very close to Guerlain Vetiver, it smells a little fresher, and has a minerally basenote, but overall is very close in smell.

The Nicolai Vetiver has a much more bright citrusy opening, it fades fairly quickly to a stage where you get a small amount of vetiver and a fairly prominent smell of ylang ylang (which smells to me like Brylcreem), it also fades very quickly - 4 - 6 hours at most.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are good. Nicholai Vetyver is a little more a clean all purpose vetiver but still interesting. Lubin is nicely green up front with a smokey drydown - also good. Better than Guerlain in my opinion - but similar. I like both but ended up preferring the Lubin but recomend you. . . sample, sample, sample before buying.

Some others worthy of testing are: Sel d' Vetiver from The Different Co. - very refreshing light floral vetiver with a woody drydown - not earthy or rooty at all. SdV is my favorite summertime vetiver! Carlo Corinto Vetiver is a very green cypress/vetiver that is quite refreshing and wears really well it won the famous vetiver smell test showdown conducted by Wicozani last year (search forum). Adolpho Dominguez Vetiver Hombre is an old fashioned mens herbal vetiver that is very invigorating especially in summer. My favorite pure vetiver scent is Givenchy's Vetyver in their recently rereleased Classic series - very nice - I wish I could find a bottle for sale, but haven't located it yet here in the U.S.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 30th June 2008 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda funny timing.. I just happen to be wearing Lubin's Le Vetiver on my wrist while I work. When I first got the sample (it took a while to get the samples... Gilles said that they're just overwhelmed with requests and they're too small to keep up and absorb the cost), I thought it was pleasant but didn't foresee me purchasing it. I bought a bottle of Idole instead.
    Now while I'm sitting here, I put Le Vetiver on one wrist and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire on the other. I can safely say I really want a bottle of Le Vetiver now! Comparing it to Vetiver Extraordinaire really showed its strengths. While the Malle is a crisp, bright and straight to the point Vetiver to me, Lubin's wears magnificently. It fills out completely with a fantastic base and considerable complexity. It takes a classic note and modernizes it with just the right amount of earthy warmth. The tobacco and cedar in the base tie it together perfectly for me.
    I would HIGHLY suggest getting a sample from luckyscent... I just ordered a sample of L'eau Neuve from them so if that goes well, I may be the proud owner of their entire (3 bottle) line
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    My favorite pure vetiver scent is Givenchy's Vetyver in their recently rereleased Classic series - very nice - I wish I could find a bottle for sale, but haven't located it yet here in the U.S.
    I highly recommend trying Givenchy Vetyver. It is one of my favorite vetiver fragrances.

They sell it at Nordstroms in Chicago (on Michigan Avenue).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Many thanks for the comments and suggestions!

I'll be ordering the Nicolai - still undecided about the Lubin - and will report back. :-)
    That's too bad, because Lubin is absolutely "the vetiver for those who don't like vetiver'

It"s sample worthy too.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Kinda funny timing.. I just happen to be wearing Lubin's Le Vetiver on my wrist while I work. ... I can safely say I really want a bottle of Le Vetiver now!
    Perfect timing! The Lubin is sounding more and more intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    That's too bad, because Lubin is absolutely "the vetiver for those who don't like vetiver'.
    It's on my 'must try' list - or I may even just throw caution to the wind and blind buy it when I order the Nicolai.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    That's too bad, because Lubin is absolutely "the vetiver for those who don't like vetiver'

The perfect opening for my somewhat-embarrassing question:
    I found the non-vetiver aspects of Lubin my favorite. The creamy clove, the pepper and grapefruit...Can anyone recommend a fragrance that picks up on those notes that I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by ori View Post
    The perfect opening for my somewhat-embarrassing question:
    I found the non-vetiver aspects of Lubin my favorite. The creamy clove, the pepper and grapefruit...Can anyone recommend a fragrance that picks up on those notes that I should try?
    Hi ori, this doesn't answer your question, but when I saw that this thread was up again (I was the OP) and read the word "embarrassment", I felt the need to air my soul.

I recently bought Lubin's Le Vetiver blind, got it this week, and it just doesn't work for me. Way too much like Guerlain's Vetiver, too bitter for me. The bottle is GORGEOUS, how unfair! AGHRRR. I am done blind buying!!! At least for July.

And to make matters worse, the other purchase I made (AdP Colonia Intensa) isn't right for me either. I have a decant but didn't test often enough. The Intensa is still NIB. There. Confession done. Lesson learned. Sheesh.

The above mentioned are - surprise, surprise - up for sale/swap.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Oh no ebear, quel dommage! It's funny to me that Le Vetiver was too dry on you, as on me the vetiver aspect became this kind of grandmotherly sherry scent. Too bad, cos I loved the rest of it.

Sherry....? Hmm, interesting. I wish I got that note! Vetiver is, at least on me, an exceptionally hard to predict note. I love it in some scents (like Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris and Creed's Original Vetiver) and can't deal with it in others.

Do a forum search for "clove" as part of the thread title - there have been a bunch of really good ones with lots of recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by ori View Post
    Oh no ebear, quel dommage! It's funny to me that Le Vetiver was too dry on you, as on me the vetiver aspect became this kind of grandmotherly sherry scent. Too bad, cos I loved the rest of it.
    Last edited by ebear; 16th July 2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Nicolai, but I'm into the Lubin and I'm a MPG and Villoresi vetiver fan. The Lubin smells nothing like those two, but there's something fresh about it that I love - genuinely organically fresh, not "fresh" in the current mainstream fragrance lingo.

An update on my vetiver saga. The Lubin, which didn't work for me, is now on its way to another Basenoter who, I hope, will give it the love it deserves.

In the meantime, I have received my Nicolai Vetyver and am really enjoying it. It's perfect.

So my current modest vetiver inventory consists of the Creed, the Nicolai and L'Occitane's. My next may be Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris - I've been enjoying a sample very much. It's much more of a pure vetiver, with an excellent, rich drydown. According to the MH website, it includes: vetiver from Haiti, patchouli, oak moss and vetiver bourbon. It has a tartness somewhat like Villoresi's vetiver but strikes me as smoother, creamier, without the rough edges.
    (swaps)
    (sales)