Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for someone interested in niche houses but hates Annick Goutal

Perfume isn't massively available in Iceland and through a lovely basenote member I can buy Creed from Holland (my lovely homeland) but I would have to buy it blind as there are no samples.

I'm willing to take the risk, I'm thinking of purchasing Spring Flower and Silver Mountain Water.

The thing that worries me is that I dislike all of the annack goutal perfumes. Does Creed smell in any way like Annick Goutals range? I don’t know why I dislike them all so much, but I have tried them several times, just sniffing then on the skin. It doesn’t work and I’ve given up on trying to like them, I just don’t.

Do some scents smell like Annick Goutal from Creed? Based on the list below what perfumes would you recommend me to try either from creed or any other house?

So some of my impressions:

Aqua di Parma range, Iris noble is a nice scent and smells expensive but I look too casual to pull it off. I'd wear it at home in secret though. The others, especially the blue range I really like. The colonia is a bit to masculine to my taste to wear myself.

From l' Artisan:
    Tea for two, much much love. Comforting, interesting, smokey, mysterious and strange.
    Voleur de rose, beautiful, pretty, nymph like. I wish it was stronger. If I'd kill my coworkers with this if it was as strong as I would like it to be at least their death would be beautiful.
    Dzing, sex in a bottle. Less rubber than Bvlgari Black and more leather.
    Fou d'absinthe, loving it on the bf and I wouldn't mind stealing it myself. Fresh with an edge. Not fresh and trying to be clean, but fresh as in fresh vodka that gives it a little bit extra.
    Vanilia, I love vanilla scents and this is not the ' im a cookie' vanilla scent a bit more grown up and wearable because of it I think.
    Timbuktu: I'm not getting the hype, it's nice but seems familiar.
    Saffran Troublant, On my next to buy list. Warm and spicey and not too sweet.
    l'eau Amber, smelled like make up to me
    Humeur Rien: too incensy and way way to heavy. Didn't think it was wearable.
    Other humeurs, love them although the rire one smells a little like strawberry condoms and strawberry creamy candy, very chemical. I love the airy one and the green one. The red one I find ok, mostly spicey but wearable when the mood strikes.
    jour de fete: smells like amaretto biscuits, not bad but I'd wait buying it until winter.
    chase de pappilion extreme: very fresh and light but nor remarkable
    premier figuier extreme: now this took me by surprise, I love it. It’s fresh and green but with something about it, something warm and very fragrant. I love the little edge unexpected edge to it.
    Comme des Garcons: I like the entire sweet(was it called sorbet) series, Harissa, Garage, Dry Clean. I was only able to try one of the incense ones and didn't think it was wearable.

Other perfumes I have that aren't niche but I still like:
    Lolita Lempicka L : salty, orange, vanilla
    Kenzo Amour : rice dessert
    Laundrette :Laundry smells good, very good
    Angel Innocent: used to wear this very often but I tired a bit of it
    Angel: don't wear this too often, I like the chocolate but its very heavy
    Eau de Star : melon and an airy note with an angel base
    Smiley: Patchoulie in a very wearable form
    City Glam: I like the freshness and a little bit of fruit
    Amber by l' Occitane: I love amber in this way
    Bvlgari black: rubber and vanilla, perfect when the mood strikes
    Feu Orange by l' Occitane, I liked the bloodorange in this but havent worn if often if I'm honest.
    Cocktail by Bnever: described with these notes: Ylang absolute, calanga petals, white flowers, Mediterranean jasmine, rose absolute and orange flowers. oak moss and sandalwood.

I hope someone can tell me what scents from Creed I should avoid based on all this and maybe have some recommendations for me. I trust that if I buy a bottle and dislike it I can swap it here for another but if possible I'd like to avoid the situation

Feel free to make non creed based recommendations too

Default Re: Recommendations for someone interested in niche houses but hates Annick Goutal

I haven´t enough experience to tell if any Creeds smell like a Goutal, but will nevertheless beg you NOT to buy Creed (or any other frag for that matter) unsniffed.
    www.theperfumedcourt.com have lots of Creed samples to try, and I do believe they send to Iceland.
    I think this site is very reliable, and you can get samples of frags very hard to find elsewhere.

Default Re: Recommendations for someone interested in niche houses but hates Annick Goutal

I rather not buy outside of europe because 1) I dont have a creditcard and 2) customs is a nightmare.

To illustrate, I need to send it to holland and then someone in holland sends it to me. If i send it directly to iceland customs here will tax 50% of the purchase amount and they include shipping costs in this.

First in Fragrance does samples but not of Creed. I'm not adament I have to buy or sample creed, it is an interest. If you can recommend other nice and interesting houses by all means do..as long as it doesnt smell remotely like anything annick.

I wish I knew what it was that rubs me the wrong way about goutal perfume..it's a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I rather not buy outside of europe because 1) I dont have a creditcard and 2) customs is a nightmare.
    perfumedcourt accepts paypal, I don't think you need a credit card to open a paypal account, just a bank account.

perfumedcourt are quite good with custom declarations when I've bought samples from them so perhaps you can try with a small order.

Lian, some are quite nice, others aren't. It's really a question of taste.
    I prefer Penhaligon's.

If you need samples, I might be of help as well. Just have a look to my blog.
    Also, there is a German site, Aus Liebe zum Duft from which you can order samples of niche perfumes at a very reasonable price.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Buying blind is SO RISKY ~ the odds are completely against you ~ especially with Creed, given the high price tags...

I don't care for Goutal's either...but then again, the only Creed I like is Virgin Island Water which is very far from being popular!

May I suggest narrowing down the fragrance type or specific notes you are interested in, and THEN go in for some recommendations.

Also, I noticed your likes don't really seem to include many floral based frags...so you might want to steer away from Springflower ~ unless you'd like to add a floral to your wardrobe.

Banned

I would suggest going to makeupalley.com to the swap section. you can sometimes "cash purchase" things there. you will definitely get way way way way way more samples for the amount of money invested than you would from the perfumed court.

You may be able to find a swapper from iceland there!
    Last edited by BostonBabe4Flora; 29th June 2008 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries

If you can try some scents from The Different Company, you may find something to your liking. The range of 10 scents is quite good, and their sampler pack is 2x2 mL for each of them, usually around 20 euros for the pack.

A fan of Annick Goutal's fragrances here, I would say do not cross them all out of your sniffing list just yet. Songes, Nuits d'Hadrien and the new Oriental line might be of your interest.

Creed is not a total opposite of Goutal's, BTW. With a few exceptions (Angeliques Ensense, Vanisia, Irisia) I am not keen on the line and in most cases do not get the hype of most men's scents -- yes they all have classical structure but nothing unique, best ingredients yet not blended in out of this world fashion.

There are two ways to expand your fragrance knowledge:
    -- Try more of the classical scents, usually one can find huge lists in "The best of ..... " threads and also right here on BN in the Annual Fragrance Awards. To build your own sniffing portfolio, to identify your own likes and dislike in general and particular notes and combinations of them as well. Guerlain, Dior, Chanel, Hermes, YSL, Lutens. Read more about the notes, continue reading fragrance blogs and reviews here and on the other sites.
    -- Test on your skin everything that comes along as added bonuses while you are buying perfumes or participating in exchanges. You can order decanting supplies and post your "To Try" scents on the dedicated forum. You can also approach our members privately in a PM, something like "I saw you have mentioned Fragrance ________ in your thread, and I have always wanted to try it. I can send you _________ and ___________ to try from your To Try list in your Wardrobe."

Best of luck. In the meantime, please update your own "To Try" section, I may be of help.

Well I searched long and hard and found a lady who can make samples of her Creed collection in Holland. So I´ll sample first and I selected a good range of scents to sample ( not just vanilla with something added because I know I like that 9 times out of 10 and want to try something new)

And I´ll start updating my To try list, I´m curiousd about many perfumes but I never wrote it down because I think seeing a huge list might be ...depressing in a way. So many perfumes so little time to try them all out. And what will my favourites think when I´m sampling others on the side. It´s a cruel world I guess.

Well I searched long and hard and found a lady who can make samples of her Creed collection in Holland. So I´ll sample first ..... And what will my favourites think when I´m sampling others on the side. It´s a cruel world I guess.
    LUV the notion of your "favorites" sulking on their shelves while you flirt with newcomers!!

I have Virgin Island Water, Tabarome Milliseme, Fleurs de Bulgarie and Jasmine Imperatrice if your Holland connection doesn't have them. All I need is your address in Iceland to send you sample of these three if you like.

I like some Goutals but they last approximately three minutes on me or I would collect them. And I agree with Twolf - keep experimenting!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I also don't care for most of the AG line.

Many niche houses to choose from that have the opposite vibe of AG: Parfums de Nicolai and MPG are two that someone recommended to me as they have a more classical feel and I find that's true.

I think you'd enjoy sampling the Frederick Malle line as well. If you're looking especially for Creed scents directed toward females, well, the choices are kind of limited. Creed is coming out with a "Love in Black" scent this fall that sounds kind of interesting and may be worth waiting for. A lot of folks like Vanisia; I don't personally find it all that special.

I'm not sure what you mean about PdN being the "opposite" of Annick Goutal.

I second what everyone else said, study notes and sample first. Spring Flower turns sour on my skin, fyi. It *sounds* good, but if you can't wear it, what good is that?

Blog Entries

Here's my take on things for what it's worth:

I'm not a fan of AG, either. I've tried several of her scents in families I like and they just don't work for me.

The AG's I've tried (the citrus group) do not smell anything like the Creed citrus group. The Creeds, to me, smell cleaner. But they have no staying power on my skin. The first 10 minutes are great, then the notorious "Creed signature drydown" is all I get for the next 12 hours.

Parfums de Nicolai is not really like either of them. Though I can see similarities between PdN New York and AG's Les Nuits d'Hadrien. I find the PdN Colognes to be really remarkable works of art. Not so much the perfumes. The perfumes seem a little heavy-handed.

If you're set on Creeds, I'll just give you lots of praise for trying before buying. The cost for samples (or the effort for them) is worth it. If they work on you, great! If not, you've saved yourself some money.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I have Royal Water by Creed, a citrus and one of their newer ones. It does not have their signature drydown and it lasts and lasts, though the top notes do disappear after a few hours, leaving my skin with a clean, freshly showered fragrance even in hot weather.

I like Annick Goutal, too. There seem to be hundreds of niche houses now so just asking for something besides AG is a bit broad. I like fragrances from many lines, not only niche. Explore what you have available in your country, too. If you want to shop around overseas, I would recommend getting your own credit card rather than being a dependent on others who are using theirs.
    Last edited by beachroses; 2nd July 2008 at 07:50 PM.

What is available in this country: annick goutal, acqua di parma, l' artisan line and miller et bertaux, some CdG, next to that it's adidas scents, the latest of paris hilton and lopez, chanel 5, coco mademoisille I havent seen any YSL for instance, no Bvlgari either. The choices here are very very limited, but I travel often so I can pick up more well known brands abroad and try new things there. I'm going to Shanghai for 2 weeks this month and then to Finland after ( I love my job)

I really want to try some Creed because it seems very love it or hate it type of thing, some people adore it ( I remember when I joined that nearly everybody loooved it, and now it seems Serge Lutens is very well respected). Now I'm in a position to afford some more interesting brands and that just adds to my curiousity.

Creditcards in Iceland don't always work for internet payments, so I'd have to borrow someone elses. It's not a big problem but custom fees are but I can get around that by sending it to holland first, have it repackaged and send again to iceland. You sure get creative living here.

Thanks for the recommendations and other houses to check out and thngs to be weary off. I have started swapping on MUA and I'm planning on ordering plenty of samples from First in Fragrance, it's just they had none of Creed&Bond. I guess I just want to know what the fuzz is about.

I must say I do like l' Artisan and the SA knows I love them so I'm always showered with samples there.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about PdN being the "opposite" of Annick Goutal.

I second what everyone else said, study notes and sample first. Spring Flower turns sour on my skin, fyi. It *sounds* good, but if you can't wear it, what good is that?
    Agree to beware of "sounds good"!

Beachroses, by "opposite vibe", I meant AG tends toward simpler and more linear compositions, PdN toward more complex compositions (tougher to identify single notes). As someone here described to me, PdN is more "classical" in feel - to me, that means more complex (the perception of more notes/ingredients) with movement and change as the frag is worn and toward the drydown. I'm not sure everyone would define "classical" in that way, but that's what I meant when I posted. I'm sure there are exceptions in each line, but in my experience, that is the trend for AG and PdN.

Personally, I don't unequivocally need complexity and development in a frag (I use many that don't have that wear pattern), but it is, and always has been, my preference.

Blog Entries

Lian,

If you like L'Artisan's fragrances, I'd also recommend checking out The Different Company. They seem to share a similar approach to fragrance design. The Hermessence line from Hermes might be worth checking out, as well.

And, I'll throw out my favorite house, i Profumi di Firenze. I really like their fragrances and they kind of fit what I expected of Creeds, but they have a presence and a life. I think they're very nicely done scents. You can see their list of fragrances here:

http://www.spezieriefirenze.com/i_pr..._firenze_s.htm
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I could build a whole wardrobe based on "I don't like such-and-such house, except for just one of their fragrances." I had pretty much written off Annick Goutal because I perceived all their florals as dog-whistle scents (shrieky and high pitched), but then I found Mandragore .

You look young enough to be able to sample everything that deserves sampling, so accept the journey, I say! Your job sounds wonderful if it gives you so much opportunity to travel. Where can my daughter fill out a job application?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm 24, turning 25 sometime this year. So I guess I have plenty of time to sample and get a collection worthy of taking a picture of. In the guys section they had the topic wher they took pictures and some had such huuuge collections. Incredible.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, really. I may have time on my side but it's had to get started properly when you can select samples of thousands of houses so I appreciate all the suggestions

I'm very lucky in getting the job I have, I work as a computer game designer. I did have to make sacrifices for it, but I figured better make them while I'm young ( it was pretty much the choice of love or carreer, but the love part felt one sided and there is so much you can do. Besides he hated my perfume interest and you have to draw a line somewhere ) and when you get the job it's hard work. But it's easier to work hard and be passionate about what you do when you actually like doing it, I'd tell your daughter that, not to underestimate the importance of a job you really like and that its worth making sacrifices for if it will make her happy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    And, I'll throw out my favorite house, i Profumi di Firenze. I really like their fragrances and they kind of fit what I expected of Creeds, but they have a presence and a life. I think they're very nicely done scents. You can see their list of fragrances here:

http://www.spezieriefirenze.com/i_pr..._firenze_s.htm
    Ooooo! New niche! My nose thanks you. My wallet hates you.

Besides he hated my perfume interest and you have to draw a line somewhere ) and when you get the job it's hard work. But it's easier to work hard and be passionate about what you do when you actually like doing it, I'd tell your daughter that, not to underestimate the importance of a job you really like and that its worth making sacrifices for if it will make her happy.
    Words of sound advice. Pursue what you love, and the money will find you.

As for the guy who hated your perfume interest, good riddance. I am impressed by all the classy young men over on the guys' side here, so it's clear that there are many great men who would not only tolerate perfumania, but who would share it as well. A spouse or partner who tolerates or shares interests is always worth waiting for. You go, girl, and don't look back!