Code of Conduct

Default Any grayheads here going natural yet? I am.

I started getting gray hair in my late teens, and by the time I was in my 20's I was having it colored. I've been blonde, red, auburn, cool browns, warm browns. This year I turn 50 in September, and I've decided to let my gray hair grow in. It looks to be a nice silvery color now, not salt & pepper gray. Growing it out is a huge ordeal though. You have to live with the gray roots for a while, then cut your hair very short (not an option for me, won't do it), or just live with how it looks. One colorist I consulted advised me to wear a lot of hats. I hate hats! Anyway...last week I asked my usual colorist put a whole headful of very light ash blonde highlights throughout my dyed med. brown hair. I can't believe how great it looks. The gray roots blend right in, so there's no huge contrast between the old hair and new growth, and the overall lighter color suits my skin tone so much better now. Deciding to go with the gray is an increasing trend, I've been reading, among the aging baby boomer population. There are quite a few issues at play, career image, personal image, not to mention one's issues with aging in general and feminist principles. I'm letting mine go gray because I'm sick of being a slave to white roots, I want to see what my true hair color is for the first time in 25 years, and because I think the silver color is really nice. How this will affect job prospects, whether I will be perceived as "old", I don't know. But...I think I may be able to snag senior discounts for movies now.

Default Re: Any grayheads here going natural yet? I am.

Is this for women only oh well, I think the Clairol Shimmering Lights helped out alot here. I started turning "silver" as a teen as well. I died it once and looked like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz...Eeeeew..no more for me. I've seen some women with silver hair that were DDG (drop dead gorgeous)

At 35:

At 55:

Hey!! Where's his other hand

Thank you Mom and Dad

Last edited by silverbullet; 30th June 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Any grayheads here going natural yet? I am.

I've been partially gray since my 20s and have had no issues with it. Still don't. But then I've always preferred the natural look - both in myself and others.

Gray Pride!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I have gray temples and a few scattered grays on the rest of my head and my chest. I hate it, but not enough to dye it. Dying just seems so fake and a worse alternative than staying natural. I've always found dyed hair to be tacky, along with excessive make-up and jewelry.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Is this for women only oh well, I think the Clairol Shimmering Lights helped out alot here. I started turning "silver" as a teen as well. I died it once and looked like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz...Eeeeew..no more for me. I've seen some women with silver hair that were DDG (drop dead gorgeous)
    Silverbullet, you are a silver fox at any age! And no, my post is not intended for women only. But, generally, women with gray hair are seen as "old," while men are viewed as "distinguished". Not true in every case, of course, and these attitudes are on the wane, which is a blessing. I enjoy watching commercials now with more gray models who look really great, not just playing sweet little old grannies or grandpas.

Men's hair coloring options have always been limited. Women's hair color has a much wider range of colors and shades to choose from. When men color their hair it often looks like they've had their hair tarred, it either doesn't go with their skin tones or there is no gradation of colors. I belive the percentage of men going to salons for professional color is also on the increase. Having your hair colored by someone who knows what they are doing makes a huge difference. But it's a major commitment. You have to keep going back to have your roots touched up. And the chemicals do damage your hair.

When I was young my gray hair just looked weird. My face always looked younger than my chronological age, so the gray was odd and did nothing for my skin either. Even now, my face is relatively young looking (few lines - genetic inheritance there), but I like the look of the silvery tones now. For years I had been having my hair dyed pretty much close to its natural color before it went gray (golden brown). But people change and their coloring does as well. Nature knows best.

All of you silverhairs who go natural, I salute you!

Those of you who prefer to color over the gray, that's fine too. It's nice to have options.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 30th June 2008 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Silverbullet, you are a silver fox at any age! And no, my post is not intended for women only. But, generally, women with gray hair are seen as "old," while men are viewed as "distinguished". Not true in every case, of course, and these attitudes are on the wane, which is a blessing.
    It is sad, some women who are "silvering" are elegant and breathtaking
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I've been partially gray since my 20s and have had no issues with it. Still don't. But then I've always preferred the natural look - both in myself and others.

Gray Pride!
    Pretty much The Story of My Life

I noticed the first grays when I was 23, but dyeing my hair to cover them up never crossed my mind. I believe Mother Nature knows best.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Banned

I am trying to let it all hang out lately... I only have enough grey that you can only see if it the hair is dry if I put anything in it at all you really can't see. . .

but, at one point. . .when my hair was very long... and considerable greying was happening and it began to look as though I wasn't keeping up with my hairdyeing maintenance, I found that of all things "just for men" worked REALLY WELL at correcting the discrepancy between the first few inches that were now considerably more grey and the rest of it, also, it didn't damage my hair, also it took only a few mintues and was very easy.

now I am not bothering with it, but at that time it was essential not to have the "scaggy" "didn't keep up with her roots" look that is after all very TRASHY! and UNATTRACTIVE!

anyway if you are at this point in life and have longer hair and have such aproblem, go the JUST FOR MEN route and don't go dying all your hair and destroying it. . . is my advice!

Let me encourage you! I started to let my gray grow out in August 2006. It took 18 months before the last bits of color were cut off. I decided because I was tired of the frequent maintenance. I don't mind primping; after all, I love perfume, makeup, and cashmere. But I found that I was scheduling my life around my need for touchups.

I found the first few months the hardest. I felt merely unkempt. My hairdresser was quite encouraging. He discouraged me from getting any interim color. After a few months, I just didn't notice as much. Sure my hair was several colors.

I now get compliments frequently. I always wear red lipstick, looks fabulous with gray hair. The much younger women in my Pilates classes are complimentary. I still feel very attractive. Stick it out!

The 'growing out' process, wether it's your color or a new style, is never easy. Get creative and be patient ~ it's all worth the effort!

Thanks, ubuandibeme and Therese, for the encouragement! I had light ash blonde streaks worked through my entire head of hair last week, in hopes that my white stripe (my Pepe Le Pew stripe) would be less glaring than it was against my dark hair. I asked for as light and silvery a color as possible, and my colorist got pretty close to what I wanted, with no golden tones, and she left the gray roots alone. Now, the gray just blends into the old (now bleached) hair. It's early days yet. The gray roots are still pretty short. I know it will take a looooong time for the old hair to grow out. But I like the silver so much that I think it's going to be well worth the wait.

I lied, I didn't start turning until after my teens

And I'm not in the middle

I gave a final goodbye to the dye last November. Growing out the remaining color has been a chore, but I like the way the grey looks.

I stopped a while ago. My hair grows too fast to make it economically feasible and I think it's something best left to the pros. I can spend that money on 'fumes..

I haven't seen my natural colour in about 10 years... but that's down to fashion, whims and general experimenting. I couldn't say if I've some gray hairs, it's entirely possible.
    My mother, on the other hand, has said goobye to the dye, and it looks infinitely better now. Dyed hair on 40-50+ women often looks shrill, and does the skin tone no favours. Nature does know best.

Some guys look really hot with silver hair. That's the case of Anderson Cooper. He is very sexy. But other guys just look old and tired with the gray hair.

I believe I belong to the second group. I plan to dye my hair when I begin to need it. I am in my mid-30s and I still don't need it. I have a very, very small amount of grey hair. So I'll probably begin to dye it when I reach 40. It is no big deal. I'll probably choose a lighter shade of brown when I do it.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 24th August 2008 at 08:21 AM.

I found my first white hair when I was 20 or 21, I thought for sure I was going to be completely white by 30, but no, luckily not. I do however have that that white stripe, like Stacy on What Not to Wear for visual reference. If I part it one way it's not noticeable, if I part it the other way it's quite obvious. I'm mid thirties now, but I am way too lazy to color it and keep it up, so I just don't bother. Most of the year I have enough sun bleached gold and red higlights so it blends, but during winter my roots grow out and stay dark. Come winter I may try the Just for Men trick, I've always wondered about that. lol

I had a Sociology professor who had mostly brown hair with just a few gray streaks up front. She was also a total fox. Probably over twice my age, but who cares? I'm legal :P

I'm still going through the growing out process, and I really like the gray, what I can see of it so far. The roots are getting long now. I was afraid that I would hate this growing out process, but actually I'm enjoying the transition. I find it liberating on several fronts. I plan to be one of those powerful older witchy-poos with a loooong, gray mane.

Yes, Lilybelle, you go! I found that it got easier as the roots got longer. I got nothing but words of encouragement from acquaintances once my intentions were clear.

Blog Entries

My mom started graying at 13, I started at 17 and my brother was the grayest of us all-- he was about half gray by the time he was in college. Our natural color was very dark brown-- so dark, people assumed it was black.

Mom had a "skunk stripe" -- one swath that went all white before the rest-- and I used to love to rag on her about it as a teen. Wouldn't you know it, I got a "skunk stripe" of my own-- and of course my daughter teased me about it! Now at 52 I'm gray enough (about 50%) that the stripe is not so apparent.

My mom never colored her hair, and although I considered it, in the end I decided not to either. Having it dyed its natural color would only accentuate wrinkles as I age, and I can't see myself as auburn or blonde. Truthfully, I rather like the way it looks.

The only downside is the gray can make one look a bit "washed out." I select my clothing, accessories and jewelry to add warmth and color to my appearance. Women who wear makeup can use that to good effect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The only downside is the gray can make one look a bit "washed out." I select my clothing, accessories and jewelry to add warmth and color to my appearance. Women who wear makeup can use that to good effect as well.
    Yes, when I was younger the gray really washed me out - I'm very fair skinned & blue eyed, so I looked like a pale ghost with the gray - that's why I colored it for so many years. Now, I'm having to rethink my usual colors and find ones that suit my pale hair better. I can wear pink lip colors now (never liked pink before). Perhaps I have to think more like a blonde (!! ack!). (kidding).

I'm 45. Every time I get my hair cut they try to push color on me. I'm opting out. For several reasons, some economic, once you start coloring it, you have to keep it up. Nothing looks worse than a grown out dye job. But in addition, the few grays I have are very silvery and shiny. My hair is a medium to dark brown. I'm hoping for a salt and pepper effect.
    Anyway, no dye for me.

Today I have been unpacking my winter clothes. This will be my first winter with totally grown-out gray hair, and I am wondering about some colors that I have always worn, but...Specifically brown. What do you all think? It looks to me that camel doesn't look good. What about rust? What about dark brown? Please let me know what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Anyway, no dye for me.
    Good for you! If people want to color their hair, I don't have a problem with that. I colored for many years because I didn't like the washed out look when it was half & half. It's an individual choice. But I'm so happy that more people are opting not to. It makes me feel less alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Today I have been unpacking my winter clothes. This will be my first winter with totally grown-out gray hair, and I am wondering about some colors that I have always worn, but...Specifically brown. What do you all think? It looks to me that camel doesn't look good. What about rust? What about dark brown? Please let me know what you think!
    I've always loved earth tones too, but I'm also not sure about them anymore with the gray hair. Beige and ivory are definitely drabbing. I think that browns, rust, camel, can all be exciting colors when they are rich and vibrant (have a lot of red in them) - but you just have to try them to see. You could probably wear skirts and pants in your old favorite colors, but might want to rethink them near your face, though that would depend on your natural skin tones (i.e., warm or cool or balanced neutral). You just have to experiment to see what works best for you. I wish we were near each other - we could shop our closets together and offer our respecive opinions.

Unhappy Re: Any grayheads here going natural yet? I am.

I've always loved earth tones too, but I'm also not sure about them anymore with the gray hair. Beige and ivory are definitely drabbing. I think that browns, rust, camel, can all be exciting colors when they are rich and vibrant (have a lot of red in them) - but you just have to try them to see. You could probably wear skirts and pants in your old favorite colors, but might want to rethink them near your face, though that would depend on your natural skin tones (i.e., warm or cool or balanced neutral). You just have to experiment to see what works best for you. I wish we were near each other - we could shop our closets together and offer our respecive opinions. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I have been putting on and taking a long look in the mirror. Dark brown seems to work, but the rusts and camels, oh my!

Yes, I have been putting on and taking a long look in the mirror. Dark brown seems to work, but the rusts and camels, oh my!
    The dark brown is probably close enough to black to be workable. I haven't bought anything new yet for fall/winter. The weather here is mild in winter so I think I'm going to enjoy wearing more colorful things now year round. You know, now that I think about it, I'm really liking turquoise shades lately, everything from the palest aqua to a deep teal. It seems to work well with the gray. Also, I'm liking red with crisp white and black.

But, oh honey, does bright red lipstick shake up gray hair! I always feel glamorous when I wear it.

Like Lillybelle & numerous others posting, I started going major gray (actually white would be more accurate) in my twenties.

Being a guy, it never bothered me, but heck I haven't even combed my hair for about 35-40 years now.

In fact, I always figured my "sage aged" hair was a reason for me to "charge" more for
    professional services over and above what my gray-challenged "peers" were charging.

If you look good & feel comfortable with whatever hair type/hair color you have, feel Lucky !!!

What does "Just for men" do? Colors only the grays and leaves the rest as it is? Even if you have dyed hair? I've been dying my hair for so long I don't even know its real color. My hair is very long now, about down to my waist. I try not to color it too often but I think long hair with grays is absolutely hideous. I would like it if I only had a stripe or two, though.
    And no, I do not feel comfortable with grays. I do not even wear my glasses unless I really, really need to see.

I say the answer lays squarely in how old you want to look.

Nothing, within reason, spells out old age like grey hair.

Case in point: I'm 25 and look it. When I ask ppl how old they think I am, they invariably give me a response that's on the mark.

I was discussing this issue - whether grey hair makes ppl look substantially older - with my gf the other day. I told her, "I bet people will think I'm at least 40 if I go grey."

So what did I do? I used one of those spray on hair colors and went grey. And I modified my clothing, slightly.

Sure enough, when I asked ppl - with subtley of course - how old they thought I was, the response was, invariably, "I don't know, 40, 45ish?"

I wanted to say that I finally tried the just for men beard and moustache dye on my white stripe in January and it works great. My white hairs are shiny diamond white, so I figured I'd get better results w/ the beard/moustache dye. The first time it didn't take well and faded in 1.5 weeks, but the second time lasted about 5-6 weeks. I tried medium brown and it's a very good color match for me. It's super easy to do since you just blend a bit of developer and a bit of color, mix it and then brush it on with the provided brush and you only mix what you need. I've spent the last three weekends out working in the yard though and my hair is already getting sun bleached, so I'll have to pick a golden color for next time. Anyway, I think it's a good option if you have just a little area around the temples or crown that you want to color because it's easy, no waste, and you don't subject the rest of your hair to the damage some hair dyes can do.

But, oh honey, does bright red lipstick shake up gray hair! I always feel glamorous when I wear it.
    I've noticed the same thing! Plus it accentuates my green eyes and dark eyebrows in such a great way that lipstick is the only piece of make up I need to wear.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hillaire

This thread had really made me want to grow my grey out. In fact, my husband, who is tired of me dying my hair all the time frequently suggests it.
    The problem is: I am thirty six and mostly grey. I am afraid of looking forty six. Or fifty.
    But my dyed hairs are looking dyed, and a bit chalky. I dye them natural black, which is my natural color and matches my eyebrows and olive skin.
    This has been such a struggle. But I am really glad to hear that women who bit the bullet on this thread were very happy, though.
    I think I'll try it.

There is something alluring about a woman who embraces her gray.

It strikes me as a statement of confidence.

AromiErotici

I'm probably 25% there, maybe a little more. It's been like that for awhile though and I wish it would come in all gray soon. I think it looks good on most people who embrace it.

Blog Entries

When I was 35 someone I respected suggested to me that I should dye my hair if I wanted to meet a guy-- that men wouldn't be attracted to someone who was graying prematurely. I gave it some thought for a few weeks, but then I reasoned that any man who would be put off by gray hair wouldn't be the right one for me anyway.

Within a few months I had met my husband. He was 45 and balding. He didn't care about my gray and I didn't care about his male pattern baldness.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 1st April 2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    When I was 35 someone I respected suggested to me that I should dye my hair if I wanted to meet a guy-- that men wouldn't be attracted to someone who was graying prematurely. I gave it some thought for a few weeks, but then I reasoned that any man who would be put off by gray hair wouldn't be the right one for me anyway.

Within a few months I had met my husband. He was 45 and balding. He didn't care about my gray and I didn't care about his male pattern baldness.
    How dare you not be superficial and trite!!!

Well, here it is almost a year later and my gray/silver is mostly grown out now. Around Easter I had a lot of hair cut off. I had my hair cut shorter than I was really comfortable with, but I just couldn't take the long two-toned look any more. I actually really liked the result, my hair texture felt softer and curled up into a curly bob. I just have a bit left of the dyed hair on the ends. By the time I get another hair cut, which will have to be soon because I'm getting shaggy - the dyed hair will all be gone and then I can grow my hair long or decide how I want it. I love the silver with my skin tone, I think it's much more becoming than the dyed hair, whatever anybody else's assumptions about gray hair. I am 50, and I honestly don't know whether I look 50 or 60 or 70. Movie ticket sellers in their 20's probably wouldn't look twice if I asked for a senior's discount, and young people always call me "ma'am" now (but I am in the south and people do that). But grayheads in my church and other grayhead teachers still seem able to peg my age pretty accurately. So there must be something that only other grayheads can see about one's approximate age and gray hair. In other words, you have to look more closely. I don't think that non-gray people look very closely at grayhaired people, they mostly make quick assumptions. Unless you'r Karl Lagerfeld or Anderson Cooper, or some other famous gray, people seem to assume that you are a member of AARP or a senior citizen.

I do find that I have to keep my eyebrows well groomed to look my best. They have become very light, not gray really, but just very fair, so I dye them. I use Clairol's Just for Men beard & mustache dye. Then I have them waxed and shaped at my local mani/pedi salon. The difference it makes is tremendous. I want to embrace the gray, but I don't want to look washed out and decrepit. I use a tiny smidge of bronzer now, too, which always looked horrible on me before the gray, but actually works well now. Plus bronzers have improved in recent years. Here's the thing that makes you appear old and decrepit: It isn't gray hair alone, it's being gray and FAT! I need to lose weight. Well, I have lost a little but I need to lose more. And I do love food and drink. And I hate working out. I even hate that expression, "working out". (sigh!)
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd June 2009 at 01:45 PM.