Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Any grayheads here going natural yet? I am.

I say the answer lays squarely in how old you want to look.

Nothing, within reason, spells out old age like grey hair.

Case in point: I'm 25 and look it. When I ask ppl how old they think I am, they invariably give me a response that's on the mark.

I was discussing this issue - whether grey hair makes ppl look substantially older - with my gf the other day. I told her, "I bet people will think I'm at least 40 if I go grey."

So what did I do? I used one of those spray on hair colors and went grey. And I modified my clothing, slightly.

Sure enough, when I asked ppl - with subtley of course - how old they thought I was, the response was, invariably, "I don't know, 40, 45ish?"

I wanted to say that I finally tried the just for men beard and moustache dye on my white stripe in January and it works great. My white hairs are shiny diamond white, so I figured I'd get better results w/ the beard/moustache dye. The first time it didn't take well and faded in 1.5 weeks, but the second time lasted about 5-6 weeks. I tried medium brown and it's a very good color match for me. It's super easy to do since you just blend a bit of developer and a bit of color, mix it and then brush it on with the provided brush and you only mix what you need. I've spent the last three weekends out working in the yard though and my hair is already getting sun bleached, so I'll have to pick a golden color for next time. Anyway, I think it's a good option if you have just a little area around the temples or crown that you want to color because it's easy, no waste, and you don't subject the rest of your hair to the damage some hair dyes can do.
    Currently wearing: Farnesiana by Caron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    But, oh honey, does bright red lipstick shake up gray hair! I always feel glamorous when I wear it.
    I've noticed the same thing! Plus it accentuates my green eyes and dark eyebrows in such a great way that lipstick is the only piece of make up I need to wear.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hillaire

This thread had really made me want to grow my grey out. In fact, my husband, who is tired of me dying my hair all the time frequently suggests it.
    The problem is: I am thirty six and mostly grey. I am afraid of looking forty six. Or fifty.
    But my dyed hairs are looking dyed, and a bit chalky. I dye them natural black, which is my natural color and matches my eyebrows and olive skin.
    This has been such a struggle. But I am really glad to hear that women who bit the bullet on this thread were very happy, though.
    I think I'll try it.

There is something alluring about a woman who embraces her gray.

It strikes me as a statement of confidence.

AromiErotici

I'm probably 25% there, maybe a little more. It's been like that for awhile though and I wish it would come in all gray soon. I think it looks good on most people who embrace it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

When I was 35 someone I respected suggested to me that I should dye my hair if I wanted to meet a guy-- that men wouldn't be attracted to someone who was graying prematurely. I gave it some thought for a few weeks, but then I reasoned that any man who would be put off by gray hair wouldn't be the right one for me anyway.

Within a few months I had met my husband. He was 45 and balding. He didn't care about my gray and I didn't care about his male pattern baldness.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 1st April 2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    When I was 35 someone I respected suggested to me that I should dye my hair if I wanted to meet a guy-- that men wouldn't be attracted to someone who was graying prematurely. I gave it some thought for a few weeks, but then I reasoned that any man who would be put off by gray hair wouldn't be the right one for me anyway.

Within a few months I had met my husband. He was 45 and balding. He didn't care about my gray and I didn't care about his male pattern baldness.
    How dare you not be superficial and trite!!!

Well, here it is almost a year later and my gray/silver is mostly grown out now. Around Easter I had a lot of hair cut off. I had my hair cut shorter than I was really comfortable with, but I just couldn't take the long two-toned look any more. I actually really liked the result, my hair texture felt softer and curled up into a curly bob. I just have a bit left of the dyed hair on the ends. By the time I get another hair cut, which will have to be soon because I'm getting shaggy - the dyed hair will all be gone and then I can grow my hair long or decide how I want it. I love the silver with my skin tone, I think it's much more becoming than the dyed hair, whatever anybody else's assumptions about gray hair. I am 50, and I honestly don't know whether I look 50 or 60 or 70. Movie ticket sellers in their 20's probably wouldn't look twice if I asked for a senior's discount, and young people always call me "ma'am" now (but I am in the south and people do that). But grayheads in my church and other grayhead teachers still seem able to peg my age pretty accurately. So there must be something that only other grayheads can see about one's approximate age and gray hair. In other words, you have to look more closely. I don't think that non-gray people look very closely at grayhaired people, they mostly make quick assumptions. Unless you'r Karl Lagerfeld or Anderson Cooper, or some other famous gray, people seem to assume that you are a member of AARP or a senior citizen.

I do find that I have to keep my eyebrows well groomed to look my best. They have become very light, not gray really, but just very fair, so I dye them. I use Clairol's Just for Men beard & mustache dye. Then I have them waxed and shaped at my local mani/pedi salon. The difference it makes is tremendous. I want to embrace the gray, but I don't want to look washed out and decrepit. I use a tiny smidge of bronzer now, too, which always looked horrible on me before the gray, but actually works well now. Plus bronzers have improved in recent years. Here's the thing that makes you appear old and decrepit: It isn't gray hair alone, it's being gray and FAT! I need to lose weight. Well, I have lost a little but I need to lose more. And I do love food and drink. And I hate working out. I even hate that expression, "working out". (sigh!)
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd June 2009 at 12:45 PM.