Code of Conduct

Default Looking for some versatile/daily wear, though allergies are a problem

Hello. I'm 20, going to college. I'm trying to find something I can wear day to day in classes, so it can't be too strong. I've tried a ton of stuff, but I have issues with allergies and that seriously limits what I can tolerate. My parents have given me stuff over the years, and pretty much all of it sets of my allergies or gives me a headache, even if I like the scent.

Ck one summer, d&g ph, tommy all set it off pretty bad. I think it mainly has to do with floral stuff. Polo Double Black doesn't do that much, although it smells okay to me. I like the DG as something to wear for dates or more for evenings. I got a bottle of halston unbound as a blind buy since it was cheap, and something in it rubs me the wrong way. Its like this almost rotten flower scent or something.

I've sampled a ton of stuff too. Pretty much anything from Burberry set off my allergies or smelled too much like pine. I liked versace fraiche, but it really, really gives me a headache. I tried bulgari aqua and it doesnt affect allergies much but it smells sort of odd to me. I'm also allergic to cool water and eternity. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

Of what I have been able to try that doesnt affect me and is alright, is CK Be, Kenneth Cole Reaction, and unforgivable. Although they are okay, none really make me say wow. CK Be is a bit too powdery, if it had more citrus or the peach was stronger. Reaction is okay, its a bit too much like candy or sugar. And unforgivable has a faint bug spray smell. Between those, CK Be and Reaction are my favorites from what hasn't set off allergies.

So, it's hard to find something to wear. Almost everything gives me a headache or makes me sneeze. From what I can tell, floral scents get to me the most. I was wondering if anybody had advice or recommendations of other things I can try.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Vagran7; 30th June 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Looking for some versatile/daily wear, though allergies are a problem

I would recommend trying some "lighter" scents such as:

Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne
    Masakï Matsushïma - M; Men
    Gendarme
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st July 2008 at 04:58 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Looking for some versatile/daily wear, though allergies are a problem

You can try YSL L'Homme, classy smelling scent without being too strong or cloying, It's pretty light too!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

some not floral and quite understated yet playful scents:
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Cartier Declaration
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Gucci II

Now, some application secrets:
    - Apply it lightly, at max 3 spritzes
    - Avoid applying it too close to your nose (i.e. avoid applying it on your neck) and prefer application on chest and arms
    - at max spray it under your clothes.

As someone who gets blocked sinuses and intense headaches quite often, especially from certain fragrances (although D&G ph I have no problems with) I'd recommend:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche
    Bvlgari Aqua & pour Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Dior Homme
    Prada Amber Homme (IMO smells similar in dry-down to Mugler Cologne)
    possibly Joop! Nightflight (its super strong in the first few minutes but after that smooth sailing)

A few that gave me mega headaches include Guerlain Vetiver, Paco Rabanne XS, le Male (its ok in small amounts though ) and some days Paul Smith London.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I third Mugler Cologne.

When cheap synthetics give you a headache, turn to something more natural:

Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Millesime Imperial

The Perry Ellis 360 series is fairly light and not too hard to find if you want to save money.

I also have trouble with allergies, and some fragrances have ingredients which give me sinus headaches or have off-smelling chemical odors. Here are some that I almost never have trouble with:

Hermes:
    Eau d'Orange Verte
    Eau d'Hermes

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert

Chanel Eau de Cologne

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta (this one is the strongest and longest lasting of this list)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    When cheap synthetics give you a headache, turn to something more natural:

Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Sampled these 2 creeds over the weekend and i must say its winning me over, tho id have to break the bank on them. Id 2nd Himalaya as the lighter of both, though both are equally gorgeous, I reckon Himalaya would be perfect if you prefer a lighter one.

Dependent

sorry to bump this thread. ive learnt that alot of EDCs are alcohol-free..... the high alcohol content in EDTs could be one of the factors that aggrevate your allergies.