Code of Conduct

Question First Fragrance - for an 18 year old

Hello men!

I don't venture here often, but my younger brother's birthday is coming up and I think it high time he had a scent to wear with a little more class than Lynx spray! It will be his first fragrance, and as such I need a very carefully considered choice to ease him into the big scented world. I'm thinking something youthful, masculine and fairly spring/summery (with fresh scents, greens, aquatics etc, but I'm open to suggestions)!

I wandered down to the perfume counter today and brought back a couple of random samples that the SA sprayed on a card for me.

Beyond Paradise for Men - he thought this was a female fragrance
    Gucci Pour Homme II - his favourite of the group. Mine too.
    CK in 2U - didn't think much of it.
    Jacomo (not sure which one, the newest probably) - thought this was about the same as in2U.

I know it's not much to go off, but I'd LOVE to hear some suggestions from you! I've got no idea when it comes to men's fragrances, so I could really use the help. If possible, it'd be best to hear resonably priced suggestions. I don't have a huge bundle of money to spend, so can't go too overboard on this.

Thank you!

Default Re: First Fragrance - for an 18 year old

Here are some suggestions:
    Dior Higher
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Cartier Declaration
    CK One
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport
    Bulgari Aqua
    Lancome Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic

Gucci PH II sounds nice too

Cool Re: First Fragrance - for an 18 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Tavorna View Post
    Hello men!

I don't venture here often, but my younger brother's birthday is coming up and I think it high time he had a scent to wear with a little more class than Lynx spray! It will be his first fragrance, and as such I need a very carefully considered choice to ease him into the big scented world. I'm thinking something youthful, masculine and fairly spring/summery (with fresh scents, greens, aquatics etc, but I'm open to suggestions)!

I wandered down to the perfume counter today and brought back a couple of random samples that the SA sprayed on a card for me.

Beyond Paradise for Men - he thought this was a female fragrance
    Gucci Pour Homme II - his favourite of the group. Mine too.
    CK in 2U - didn't think much of it.
    Jacomo (not sure which one, the newest probably) - thought this was about the same as in2U.

I know it's not much to go off, but I'd LOVE to hear some suggestions from you! I've got no idea when it comes to men's fragrances, so I could really use the help. If possible, it'd be best to hear resonably priced suggestions. I don't have a huge bundle of money to spend, so can't go too overboard on this.

Thank you!

I LOVE Jacomo Paradox Green. That's a nice fresh-woody-musky scent. Also try Armani Code, or for something a little less common (since it's new), Armani Attitude. Another good frag for teens (sporty, edgy, and best of all, DIFFERENT) might be the original Nautica Competition (blue bottle) if you can find it.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 1st July 2008 at 02:17 PM.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

Sorry for the overload

Terre de Hermes
    Geir Ness
    Chanel Allure, Egoiste, & Anteaus
    Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    Iceberg Twice
    Givenchy Greenergy
    Jo Malone Grapefruit
    Clinique Happy
    Uomo Trussardi
    Tommy Bahama Very Cool
    Shiseido Balsala
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Last edited by silverbullet; 1st July 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Sur la Plage

I would look into:

YSL L'Homme
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote
    Diesel Fuel for Life for Men
    Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense for Men
    Dior Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If he liked Gucci pour Homme II then you should go with that because he will wear what he likes.
    A couple of other suggestions I have are:

Juicy Couture Dirty English
    Dior Homme
    Acqua di Gio
    L'Eau d'Issey

I think these are all scents that might appeal to a young man. Keep in mind this is a middle-aged man talking so I'm probably way out of touch.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 1st July 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I think Joop! Nightflight sounds like something he would love. Its outgoing, fairly long-lasting, extremely fresh and something most girls will love. And its very reasonably priced. I know for one every time I spray it my girlfriend go's ga-ga for it... (Then again I wore it for the first 6 months I was with her, so it could be classical conditioning ) And I havent smelt it on anyone else yet.
    Your local Priceline should have a 75ml bottle for 30-40$... If they don't have a tester, consider blind buying it, they are usually good with refunds!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Did I just see someone recommend Chanel Antaeus for an 18 year old? That's a funny picture.

I think many of these suggestions are a little over-the-top, but hey that's just IMO

Perhaps D&G Light Blue, CK Eternity, AdGio, and Polo Sport are good entres. Some newer, 'hipper' mens fragrances that might be age appropriate are Fuel For Life, Boss Pure, or Ed Hardy

I think many of these suggestions are a little over-the-top, but hey that's just IMO
    I agree. The same with Rive Gauche, which is one of my favorite scents, it will not work. A person needs to get a good feel and sniff around the perfume world to appreciate/like something like that. And even then, it just may not work.

Now having said that, one does not have to go to scents like Abercrombie & Fitch and Aqua di Gio. A&F does not last, why waste money on poor longevity ?

I think Gucci Pour Homme II is a good choice if your brother likes it, but he should try it on in the shop ( if he's willing to do so?).YSL L'Homme sounds like a good choice as well

Le Mouchoir de Monsieur/Habit Rouge/Bel Ami/Héritage (Guerlain)
    L'Eau d'Orange Verte/Equipage/Terre d'Hermes (Hermes)
    Prada Homme (Prada)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Okay, so something public friendly and approachable but not down the Acqua di Gio and Abercrombie alley:

Terre d'Hermes
    Cartier Declaration
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Dior Homme
    Bulgari Pour Homme
    Acqua di Parma Colonia or Assoluta
    Mugler Cologne

Since it's winter in Australia, I think a soft scent like Dior Homme should be a hit, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Did I just see someone recommend Chanel Antaeus for an 18 year old? That's a funny picture.

Funny how so? Yes,I recommended it, that's just MO. Thank's to free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Now having said that, one does not have to go to scents like Abercrombie & Fitch and Aqua di Gio. A&F does not last, why waste money on poor longevity ?
    That's why we always suggest to sample. Which fragrance has short longevity on you may be acceptable to someone else.

if i were to pick one from the list above, it has to be Chanel Allure Homme Sport.

I would suggest Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene. Read the reviews here on BaseNotes. It is one of the most awesome fresh and green scents ever created. Although technically discontinued, it is available on the internet for a very reasonable price. (Imagination Perfumery and Perfume.com, for example.) It is inexpensive but nevertheless of high quality. Since the scent is not common anymore, he will be using a product that will perhaps make him feel special.

Start off with Gucci Pour Homme II.
    ... or Allure Homme Blanche.

Both are classy without being too snobby and are pleasant enough for people around to enjoy.
    Just don't start aquatic.
    Last edited by moltening; 1st July 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Dior Homme
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    Kiehl's Original Musk, the EdT
    Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Gucci Pour Homme II is a very safe bet, I personally like it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Funny how so? Yes,I recommended it, that's just MO. Thank's to free speech.
    No offense intended, and I certainly wasn't commenting on the First Amendment (which doesn't apply in a private forum, but that's another topic) or implying you shouldn't give, or are not entitled to an opinion.

Within the context of you giving your opinion, I it to be humorous because Antaeus is very strong and sophisticated and I couldn't picture an 18 year old enjoying it.

I acknowledge I'm fairly new here, but I don't think that disagreeing with another's opinion implicates the First Amendment. I mean, isn't that what a discussion is? Doesn't the First Amendment (were it to apply here) encourage the free exchange of ideas and opinions? Just my .02......

I'm casting another vote for Acqua di Gio and L'Eau d'Issey because young men I know seem to like them so well.

But...I have a nephew close in age to your brother and I bought him Versace Man Eau Fraiche. It is fizzy, citric with a hint of fresh green, and youthful. He really enjoys it and it's a little less common than the 2 above I've already mentioned. (At least among the younger men I know.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

what do you think about Mambo by liz Claiborne???...is good, pretty and "cheapo"....excellent for use daily

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    No offense intended, and I certainly wasn't commenting on the First Amendment (which doesn't apply in a private forum, but that's another topic) or implying you shouldn't give, or are not entitled to an opinion.

Within the context of you giving your opinion, I it to be humorous because Antaeus is very strong and sophisticated and I couldn't picture an 18 year old enjoying it.

I acknowledge I'm fairly new here, but I don't think that disagreeing with another's opinion implicates the First Amendment. I mean, isn't that what a discussion is? Doesn't the First Amendment (were it to apply here) encourage the free exchange of ideas and opinions? Just my .02......
    This is a public forum. And I did take offense.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 2nd July 2008 at 02:08 PM.

If you both like Gucci PH2 the most, go for it. I personally love the scent, I think it's versatile enough to wear in almost any situation in any season, so I think it would be a perfect scent.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    If you both like Gucci PH2 the most, go for it. I personally love the scent, I think it's versatile enough to wear in almost any situation in any season, so I think it would be a perfect scent.
    Excellent suggestion Zero. And like I mentioned before, Clinique Happy

Giving him the scent that you know he likes is your best bet. If time is an issue, Gucci PH II. If you have time to test more, YSL M7 and Dior Homme are among the best scents I have smelled since the close of the 80s.
    Last edited by Sloan; 2nd July 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Acqua di Gio. Very boring but it fits your description of what you want and it's "safe". Personally I would not wear this stuff alot- I've got some sampler vials but it's too ordinary. Brut Revolution smells also the same and costs very little, good if you want to wear a fragrance every day on the cheap. I wear this sometimes when it is very hot out. Vetiver heavy stuff, esp. Brut Revolution- it's nice and clean though.

CK One is somewhat darker in tone, but it's still fresh. To my nose it smells a bit like a car air freshener, it has a little bit of musk and lots of greens in there. I wear this sometime, and IMO it smells best in judicious amounts on a man- not too much or it starts smelling a little cloying.

I also think Lucky You for Men might be an interesting choice if you think he might like a "fresh" type musk fragrance. It's a little quirky but it's definitely wearable and it is my favorite everyday fragrance now, but I don't like too many "fresh" type fragrances now days.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 2nd July 2008 at 04:01 AM.

Azzaro pour Homme

My black concert t-shirts were saturated with it at 15.

Wow, I'm totally overwhelmed by this awesome response! I'm noting down a list of all these suggestions, and I have a LOT to check out and sniff!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

While he did indeed like the Gucci PH 2, I want to check out others, and see if I can bring back something he'll like even more. Like most teenagers he didn't really show much enthusiasm for sniffing the strips of paper I stuck under his nose. For all I know he could have picked the one he disliked the least... Oh dear. Either way, I've only tested a few, which is why I want to check out more and see if I can find something that might make him go "wow!" Who knows, the Gucci PH2 might be the winner after all my testing and effort in the end, but you never know...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm looking forward to testing more fragrances over on the mysterious men's side!

Dependent

hope its not too late, but i believe for an 18 year old

1. Bvlgari Extreme or leau de Issey (both are my personal faves, and tho im not 18 anymore, ive worn those 2 since i was that age and still do now)
    2. Givenchy very irresistible fresh attitude (my fave of the fresh genre, bottle design is fantastic to boot, scent is well matched to the mastery of the bottle beauty)
    3. Bvlgari Aqva (imo acqua di gio's longevity nemesis, both made marine scents wearable again, after so many failed attempts by various labels)
    4. Burberry Touch (like most burberrys, the touch is light, but has a lil wooden note to it as comparred to weekend. Great if he isnt into fresh or aquatic scents)
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd July 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    hope its not too late, but i believe for an 18 year old

1. Bvlgari Extreme or leau de Issey (both are my personal faves, and tho im not 18 anymore, ive worn those 2 since i was that age and still do now)
    2. Givenchy very irresistible fresh attitude (my fave of the fresh genre, bottle design is fantastic to boot, scent is well matched to the mastery of the bottle beauty)
    3. Bvlgari Aqva (imo acqua di gio's longevity nemesis, both made marine scents wearable again, after so many failed attempts by various labels)
    4. Burberry Touch (like most burberrys, the touch is light, but has a lil wooden note to it as comparred to weekend. Great if he isnt into fresh or aquatic scents)
    I just went and tried this. LOVE it. Dried down it is out of this world. Best aqua yet. Not even close to that rat poison Acqua di Gio
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

In the end, remember that both of you should like it. If either one of you dislikes the fragrance you're about to purchase, it's never going to be worn.

Also, I support GPH II. It's a great scent and if both of you like it, it sounds like a winner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by el.roger View Post
    what do you think about Mambo by liz Claiborne???...is good, pretty and "cheapo"....excellent for use daily
    I completely agree. When I was 18, this was my favorite stuff, and NO ONE wears it, so you'll never smell like anyone else. It's also very easy to wear and it lasts forever.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 06:20 PM.