Code of Conduct

Default Non-sweet fragrances

Hey everybody,

As a 19 year old, I recently discovered the world of perfume.. however, there is a little problem. Almost every perfume I try on smells terribly sweet on me, and I mean literally sickening. This is even the case with mens perfume, and I wear any smell of my brothers or boyfriend (for example, polo black smells quite good but still pretty sweet on me) and smell utterly femine. Scents like Coco Mademoiselle, burberry brit, 212 and Eau Emotionelle make people turn their heads.. in a bad way.

I've been trying really hard to find a perfume totally right for me, because I would love an everyday scent. Mens perfumes, though they smell less sweet, are good for evenings but way too strong for a 19 year old by day. I'm looking for something sophisticated and young, for I love extreme sports but my studies and career are very important, and I am looking for something that matches the serious side of me but is still fresh and young.

I used to wear CK-one Electric, the only girly scent that smelled not so sweet, but unfortunately is out of production.. the other Ck-ones I find quite simple.
    I love citrus, for example I love the zingy opening note in Boss' Femme, I acually really like the whole, but the scent unfortunatly is much too sweet for me.
    Last, the drydown of Jill Sanders Sun and Burburry (both the beat and brit) smell really good on me skin; again here, the topnotes are too sweet.

I hope one of you could help me, because I have been looking for half a year with no avail. It might be quite a challenge ; )

Thank you so much,
    Anouk
    Last edited by kistenhen; 1st July 2008 at 08:05 PM.

Default Re: Non-sweet fragrances

I really like Burberry Weekend for Men. I think it smells like a lime lifesaver. So, it might be too sweet, as well. However if you like citrus, Weekend for Men is all about citrus.

Guerlain Vetiver .. its perfect.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Thank you so much : )

I tried some burberry weekend yesterday, for both men and woman.. the woman one smelled pungent on me, way too overpowering. The male one was actually quite nice, I really liked the greenness of it! It didn't smell masculine at all, and also not sweet! Very very nice. I borrowed it from a friend now, but I'll get a tester tomorrow probably.. only a shame that this smell is quite popular on my campus, and I like being slightly unique. I'll see how I'll like the tester!

They didn't have guerlain at my perfume place.. and I heard that scent smells mostly like tobacco, is that true?

Tried Gucci by Gucci today.. and I never smelled anything that bad (on my skin) it smells so amazing on my aunt, we were both completely surpised. Spend two hours trying to get it off my skin..

But.. thank you and I hope to hear more!

You could try Hermes' Un Jardin sur le Nil... grapefruit opening, woody drydown, soft enough for everyday use. You can find it at Sephora.

I can see how skin can change a scent making it sweet. For example I have the same problem with l'artisan Timbuktu: smelled on other is a nice woody-green, slightly fruity-smoky oriental. On me: smoky candifloss. Anyway let me suggest you some feminine or unisex scents that are not sweet and can work for a teenager.
    Hermès Eau des Merveilles
    Hermès Kelly Calèche
    Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Gucci Envy
    O de Lancome
    Givenchy III
    Kenzo Parfum d'Ete
    Dior Escale a Portofino
    Santa Maria Novella Melograno
    Diptyque L'ombre dans l'eau
    Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin Cologne

Citrus :
    Quartz de Molyneux (I insist on this one which should really suit you)
    Eau de Gyenchy
    Eau du Coq, Guerlain (be careful, it is an Eau de Cologne)
    Escale à Portofino, Dior (very light as well)

Green ones:
    Eau de Campagne, Sisley
    Racquets, Penhaligon's (beautiful but powdery)

Chyprés :
    Calèche, Hermes
    Dioressence, Dior
    Last edited by Night; 3rd July 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

You might like Mugler Cologne. I believe it's a unisex scent. It's not too sweet, though it does have a sweet aspect to it- most fragrances do. It's very inoffensive and smells a bit like a European soap. I like it, a great summer scent for sure. Some of the CK One Summers are also very good, better than the original in fact.

I think for a man's fragrance some sweetness is necessary or it becomes overbearing fast. Men tend to produce dark, heavy smells on their own, no matter how good their hygene is and it can add up to being overbearing.

Also, another thing that helps with sweet scents is just to know when to say "when". Often 1 spray is good, 2 sprays at most for the EDT's. Some people douse themselves in sweet perfumes and it can get annoying after a while.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 4th July 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Bois du Portugal

All of the above are quite dry and will suit you perfectly.

Givenchy Xeryus
    -